Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,422 members, 7,853,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:28 AM

No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan (3064 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Nigeriannewspapers: Biafra: I’m Worried, Says Sultan / Supreme Council On Islamic Affairs Condemn Nigeria’s Stand On Palestine Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Arrowman(m): 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2011
aspabay:

Sa’ad Abubakar, sultan or whatever you are called, shame on you
For doing and saying nothing without heating up the polity, shame on you!
To all who see their fellows kill in the name of religion and yet blame it on others, shame on you.
To you who consistently refuse to condemn the bombing and yet claim that your religion is a religion of peace, shame on you.
To GEJ who was remain incapacitated, clueless and docile just like his predecessor, shame on you
To NSCIA, JNI and all such organization who are not ready to do anything to fight poverty and illiteracy, but are ready to shed their last drop of blood to defend a matter of policy, shame on you
To Aboki Sanusi Lamido, just like Sani Yerima, you know this country is volatile, good intentions can easily be misinterpreted, yet you choose to create confusion, hatred and violence, shame on you. All blood that has been shed all will be shed will be on your neck. Posterity will catch up with you.
And to you, Lugard shame on you posthumously, you forced this marriage.
Barkono:

Jazakallah Khairan, Brig. General (ttd)., Sa'ad Abubakar III.
fools dats hw you praised those blood suckers that dont know there right from left wat qualifications earn him those praises i dont know,idiots!
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by goggs(m): 8:09pm On Jul 29, 2011
n a recent interview with aviation correspondents in Lagos, the President, Christian Association of Nigeria, Bishop Ayo Oritsejafor, faulted the recent session between members of the House of Representatives and the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Lamido Sanusi, on issues pertaining to the Islamic banking system. Here are excerpts of the interview recorded by Okechukwu Nnodim.

after the recent explanation by the CBN governor, Mallam Sanusi Lamido, to the House of Representatives, would you say that the Islamic banking should be allowed in Nigeria?

This is a very serious moment for us as a nation. It’s a time, I think everyone must think seriously before doing anything or saying anything. Let me begin by saying that what happened in the House of Representatives was a shock. I think to most well-meaning Nigerians, it was a shock because an issue that has generated so much controversies was not well handled.

After his (Sanusi) explanation, we would have thought that a House of Representatives, which is representing a people, should have asked salient questions. A man came, he explained himself, you clapped for him and he walked away. Does it mean that members of the House understood everything he said? We are waiting to hear clearly from the leadership of the House. Let them defend what happened.

I appeal to social activists and well-meaning Nigerians not to be quiet. They may think this is an issue they are not too interested in, but tomorrow, another issue is still going to come that they will be interested in. If this issue can be treated like this in the House of Representatives, then, they should be prepared for greater things that are going to happen in the House of Representatives. I am highly disappointed.

Let me again make it abundantly clear, we are not against the Muslims, they are Nigerians. There are some Nigerians who are Muslims, some are Christians, we are Nigerians and we have known each other for years and we will always be here. I’m a bit puzzled when I listen to what is coming out from different angles. We are not basically against Muslims wanting a bank that would meet their needs. You can have a bank that will meet your needs.

What we are saying is this, does the law of this country permit the CBN Governor to spend state money promoting a sectional banking system? We are not against the non-interest banking; after all, it started from the Bible. It is the Bible that every other person has imitated or got it from. You see, it’s like someone or some persons are trying to blindfold Nigerians, but what we are against is the sectional non-interest banking.

The CBN is the CBN of Nigeria and not CBN of Northern Nigeria or of Islamic Nigeria. It’s a CBN of the Federal Republic of Nigeria that comprises everybody. Now, how do you take state funds running into billions to be promoting one kind of non-interest banking? That is a question that must be answered. It is absolutely wrong.

Number two, why must you have one set of guideline for Islamic banking and then probably you will now have another set of guidelines for other non-interest banking? That is wrong and discriminatory. For example, I have used this example severally, the education sector, we have uniformed guidelines for any person who wants to start school. Today, in this country, there are universities that lean towards Islam and Christianity, nobody is quarreling with that, but do we have separate guidelines for them? No. The ministry of education has one set of guidelines that covers the entire school system.

Do you mean there is a separate guideline for Islamic banking?

It is wrong. You are discriminating and then, you now say within CBN, you will have what is called Sharia Council of Experts, but now, after a lot of pressure, we hear that he changed it to Council of Experts. Those are just words, now this council of experts, will it include Christians? That is the question. Who are these experts? They are Islamic experts. What we expect from the CBN is one set of guidelines.

The CBN is saying non-interest banking is good for Nigeria, so, these are the guidelines. The argument from the CBN is that the United Kingdom also practices Islamic banking, does the exchequers office in Britain have a Sharia Council of Experts? Please go and find out. Now, Islamic banking in UK is a very small part of what goes on in banking industry in the UK, you and I know that. So why make a big deal out of this?

I have said it again and again, Saudi Arabia is the headquarters of Muslims; we all know them for what they are and what they stand for, we are not against them, but even in Saudi Arabia, the most important industry there is the oil industry, but do they even run the oil industry by this Sharia banking? Go and find out. How are they running it? Is it not with the regular banking?

Now, some people say Islamic banking is practiced in Indian, but is it Islamic banking that has made Indian what it is today? Let’s be honest. I repeat, we are not against Islamic banking per say, but we are against Islamic banking being separated from other non-interest banking and the CBN uses state money to fund it and creates so much tension in the country.

Why are they not telling Nigerians all other kinds of non-interest banking? Or is it that our CBN Governor doesn’t know there are other non-interest banking? He should ask. Why promote Islamic banking and not other non-interest banking?

For instance, you don’t expect me to stop selling pork because I want to do business with an Islamic bank because if I go there, the operation is based on Sharia law and the Sharia law says you can’t touch pork and automatically, I’m disqualified. So, if I want to do anything with the bank, I either convert to Islam or close down my business. There are implications to these things and we should look deeply into them.

Let me tell you this, nobody can intimidate me or the church. Our children yet unborn will ask us questions, that is, if we are alive, and say when this thing was happening what did you do? There are so many things that just happen in Nigeria that people just look and allow.

What are your views on amnesty for Boko Haram and the threat by a Christian group in the north to retaliate the killings in the region?

Well, are you surprised to hear that? Let’s start from there. Don’t be surprised. No nation survives a religious war. I pray that Nigeria will not get to that point that there will be a religious war. Boko Haram is not just a group that came up because of economic, but purely a religious group with a religious ideology. Now, how do you now give amnesty to them? Are you now going to tell them to forgo their religious belief? The only way I think you can do this, I don’t rule out dialogue, but I think dialogue should begin within the North itself, among the Muslim leaders.

We are not hearing their voices. When we had problem in the Niger Delta, we heard a lot of Niger Deltans shouting and making noise. They even went to the extent that they said the Niger Delta was doing it to create problem for the then Umaru Yar’Adua administration. But you and I know that what happened in the Niger Delta was completely different. Those boys were crying out because of discrimination, because of marginalisation and non-compensation for 50 years of exploiting oil from their land.

You go to those places, the water is no longer useful to the people, the fishes are all dead, and you can’t fish there anymore. Do you know that if you go to Escravos, fish is more expensive there than in the city. This is a place with ocean, where the rivers are and yet, fish is more expensive there. Do you also know that petrol is more expensive there than in the city? These were the things that agitated these boys. We didn’t support the violent part of it, we were part of those that supported peace in the Niger Delta. Those in government know that. We did all we could, but did you ever hear they burnt any church or mosque through all those years? Or targeted the Muslim community in the south here and started killing them? Nothing like that, but what we are seeing now with Boko Haram is purely a religious belief.

So, like I said the dialogue should start with the Northerners themselves who believe in one Nigeria. So what they should do is to meet with these boys and find a way to convince them about the way they are going and what that is going on, you don’t expect the government to just sit down doing nothing. I expect the government to beef up security and work more on the area of security.

Let me just say this, you can’t have peace without justice and you can’t have justice without truth. It is truth that breeds justice and it is justice that breeds peace. But in Nigeria you shouldn’t say the truth, but as long as we are not saying the truth, we will not have justice because justice only feeds on truth.

What is the way forward?

First of all, the government must find ways to look into the fact that the security agencies have been polarised in most cases along religious lines. Let’s be honest, these are the things they don’t want people like us to say. How on earth will bombers get into the headquarters of the police without the help of an insider? Obviously, there are people within the headquarters of the police probably even in the high ranking of the police who are of the ideology or who sympathise with the ideology.

We have them like that in most of the security agencies and as long as these people are there, whatever the security agencies plan to do, they will leak the report to these boys and so, it makes it almost impossible to actually do much in the area of security.

So, it’s important to get other means and I can’t get into details of this to be able to pinpoint some of such people. It is possible they are there within the security agencies, it will help.

I also believe that as a country, we must reach out to nations that have experience in this area, but I will not mention nations, but those in government know them. They should reach out to those nations. After all, when a terror attack happens in America, those in Europe help and when it happens in Europe, America also helps. So, what is the big deal about that? There is no big deal about it. The world has become a global village, whatever that affects one country also affects the other. So, they need to seek help in the area of training and in other areas and I don’t want to go much further on that.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107291114145

CAN Is no against Islamic banking per se, So saying no going back is just wasting saliva

CAN is laying their concerns clear and based on principles. I thought the Sultan should address this instead of this 'no going back' stuff, cos thats not the issue
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by PastorOla1: 8:27pm On Jul 29, 2011
Thank God saad is the sultan of sokoto and NOT the sultan of NIGERIA, Period!!!!!!!!
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by member479760: 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2011
Islamic banking was introduced by Prof. Soludo, an Ibo man, a christian. Sultan should not steal the idea now. kudos to the prof.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by otondo55: 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
Sultan could not address the pressing security issues in this region,

The killing of innocent corp members,

The level of uneducated youths in his region,

Islamic Banking will never work in Nigeria !!! shocked shocked shocked

May God use sanusi as agent of dividing this unholy marriage, We have nothing in common what so ever !
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by igboboy1(m): 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2011
just a contradiction, if u meet seanet1000 a Yoruba muslim, or anyother muslim an opportunity to live anywhere he wont count islamic countries such as pakistan or saudi arabia instead na western countries,

WHy dont the human race flock to this so called land of peace?

The sultan is an arrogant pig, yes i said it are you going to fatwah me?

I pity for christians sha dem always dey preach tolerance, liberalism thats why in the next 100 yrs these mohameddist will be implementing sharia law in copenhagen, london, paris, ottawa, the hague, brussels etc, undecided
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by LFJ: 9:50pm On Jul 29, 2011
I am beginning to see the reason why we are having problem as a nation, where is the hope when we cannot tolerate each other? If it is not Muslims vs. Christians, it is Hausa vs. Ibo or Yoruba. Must we fight all the time? My own religion or my own tribe is the best mentality is becoming a curse to our national progress. I fear for our future with this type of mentality. Why not think of how we can make life better for our generation and the coming one rather than thinking of what we divide us.

We leave the main issue and started to chase shadow, let us look at what they are selling to us rather than the name first, must every issue be viewing from tribal or religion perspective? Why not look at the merit of each issue?

In the last election, most of us voted not because we believe in the capability of who we voted for but because this is our turn, this person is a Muslim or Christian. For how long are we going to continue like this? Why not respect your neighbor for whoever he chooses to worship, and leave him to his creature? Who told you that your religion is better than the other, or your tribe is the best.

Whether Islamic or Christian banking, the first thing I think should come to the mind of a reasonable person is to ask himself, how this policy is going to affect my life. The more we think logically the better for our future, we can never move forward as a nation until we decided in our individual mind that we want to leave in peace with each other.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by igboboy1(m): 9:56pm On Jul 29, 2011
LFJ:

I am beginning to see the reason why we are having problem as a nation, where is the hope when we cannot tolerate each other? If it is not Muslims vs. Christians, it is Hausa vs. Ibo or Yoruba. Must we fight all the time? My own religion or my own tribe is the best mentality is becoming a curse to our national progress. I fear for our future with this type of mentality. Why not think of how we can make life better for our generation and the coming one rather than thinking of what we divide us.

We leave the main issue and started to chase shadow, let us look at what they are selling to us rather than the name first, must every issue be viewing from tribal or religion perspective? Why not look at the merit of each issue?

In the last election, most of us voted not because we believe in the capability of who we voted for but because this is our turn, this person is a Muslim or Christian. For how long are we going to continue like this? Why not respect your neighbor for whoever he chooses to worship, and leave him to his creature? Who told you that your religion is better than the other, or your tribe is the best.

Whether Islamic or Christian banking, the first thing I think should come to the mind of a reasonable person is to ask himself, how this policy is going to affect my life. The more we think logically the better for our future, we can never move forward as a nation until we decided in our individual mind that we want to leave in peace with each other.

Discussion
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Remii(m): 9:57pm On Jul 29, 2011
LFJ:

That is the main issue with Naija man, and no level of education or exposure has been able to affect that. Nigeria man will complain of this and that, when he has opportunity to change the situation in his own favour , he allows other mundane reasoning to cloud his minds. What a shame. msheeew
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by mbulela: 10:15pm On Jul 29, 2011
I used to respect the Sultan until this episode.
These sort of inflammatory comments are not the kind of things i expected from him.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Ogwuma(m): 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2011
I don't get it, "religion of peace" yet they are known worldwide for terrorism and massive killings (including innocent women and children).
Am sorry Mr. Sultan, some of us thought you were either dumb or have been working toward curbing this insanity by your subjects.

However, after reading what you said ("no going back", ), i wish you never spoke. Because i now believe that Islamists are confused
desperate mostly low educated hypocrites. And now, like never before, i believe Nigeria should be separated. Because if you do not
condemn the killings in the north (Boko haram, post election violence, Maiduguri bombings) then i do not have any respect for you or any
religion that supports murder (for whatsoever reasons).
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 29, 2011
Who is this unknown man called Sultan? Sorry, I don't even know if somebody like that exist not until now - when he's mentioned here on Nairaland.

He should face his religion duty and find solution to those BOKO HARAM first.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Remii(m): 11:11pm On Jul 29, 2011
The Sultan of Sokoto and President General of the Jamatul Nasril Islam (JNI), Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, Thursday joined issues with opponents of Islamic banking, asking why Islam is being portrayed in bad light in the country.

He said there was no going back on the establishment of Islamic banks in the country, further expressing worries about the violence in the North-east.

He said: “So many people have said so many things about Islamic banking. Why is it that whenever anything Islamic is mentioned, those who are not Muslims kick against it? That is what we need to ask ourselves here. Is the word Islam bad? Why is it that when anything Muslim is mentioned, it is equated with violence?”

The Sultan challenged members of the JNI to spend time on soul-searching over the issues with a poser: “Why is it that anybody who is not a Muslim is afraid of [religion of] peace?”

“We have to ask ourselves that question and we have to come out with a solution because I have asked myself many times, but I can’t get an answer because I know what Islam is. Islam is a religion of peace,” he said.

He also said Muslims would not succumb to any intimidation or blackmail from anybody and decried the manner in which non-Muslims often try to stop Muslims from living their way of life.

He asked: “What is there to be afraid of in Islam? If Muslims want a particular way of life as Muslims, why should anybody try to stop them? But if it is the other way round it is good, but if it is for Muslims, it is bad! So these are challenges to us.

“We don’t have to be violent in giving responses, but if we have taken note, I have not said a single word on these two issues. But we have done much, much more than anybody else could have done to get the answers, but we are on our way and non-interest banking has come to stay, so we don’t have to fight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have repasted what the guy said again, Those calling him names, what exactly did he say that was out of place or violent.

Everyone in Borno cannot be said to be bombers, we all know that when military are called to a place they kill and kill until they achieve peace somehow,. They did it in Odi, Saka biam and other places. When they did, elders of those areas did not say bravo, they all ask that they should dialoge with the bad boys. We need to read with some understanding and not responding with our mind sets.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by anike1: 9:31am On Jul 30, 2011
Why ar pple not objective about their coments? I don't see how what the sultan said calls for all these vulgar comments. If the sultan should not have anything to do with the politics and economy of the country then, CAN should not have anything to do with it as well
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 30, 2011
^^^^I quite agree with that both parties( Christianity and Islam) have nothing to say in the govt.

Religion should be removed from govt. It has not place in the Nigeria constitution to promulgate any law of whatsoever.

I am against Islamic Banking system in Nigeria.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2011
[b]Islamic banking has nothing to do with Islam, Yet their Head is threatening thunder and brimstone undecided, who is fooling Who, Christians be wise enough, Southern Nigerians be wish enough. But if this is opportunity to breakaway I wont mind, we are tired of backwardness by Almajiris[/b] sad
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by emsquare(m): 7:20pm On Jul 30, 2011
This thing called Islamic banking, should really be looked into,
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by vicyear4us(m): 7:44pm On Jul 30, 2011
Nigerian think very will about this before doing it . To me this so call muslim should not give change . Talk about bokoaram they are the one no christan pertake in it NIGERIA OPEN YOUR EYES.
Re: No Going Back On Islamic Banking, Says Sultan by dinggle: 7:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
I'm just wondering what is wrong with this sultan and why he is heating the fragile divide?, this is where I sometimes miss Abacha he would have deposed him and return him to cows farming.

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ's Top Priorities Are Healthcare And Education / Disturbing: B H Used Konduga Battle To Test Army Defences Around Maidugiri / APC Loses More Supporters To PDP In Jigawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.