Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,679 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists (2550 Views)

What is Seventh-day Adventism, And What Do Seventh-Day Adventists Believe? / The Cult of Black Hebrew Israelites / What Islam And The Seventh Day Adventists Share In Common (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 29, 2011
I learned about the Seventh Day Adventist church by studying their beliefs. I wanted to determine if I should become a member or not. So I began studying from an SDA Bible Study program. I also submitted questions to this SDA organization. When the Bible Study and the answers that I received were rather poor simplistic answers, I submitted questions to 2 experts at allexperts.com. After still receiveing poor unbiblical answers I decided to become an expert in this category in order to give seekers a Bible- based alternative. 

I believe that the SDA church is a cultic church. I will list 5 marks of a cult below.
1)   Usually have a strong devotion to a certain teacher or prophet.
2)   Claims to be the only church with the truth.
3)   Follows doctrines unique to their group.
4)   Condemns those who disagree with them.
5)   Very legalistic, works oriented, authoritarian.

I believe that the SDA meet all of the criteria. Let's look at each one of the criteria.

1)When one thinks of the structure of the SDA church Ellen G. White (EGW) immediately comes to mind. She is revered as a great prophet of God on a par with the Biblical prophets. In fact she herself claimed to be more than any of the Biblical prophets. “My commission embraces the work of a prophet, but it does not end there” (Selected Messages, vol. 1, p. 36). “Yet, now when I send you a testimony of warning and reproof, many of you declare it to be merely the opinion of Sister White. You thereby insult the Spirit of God” (Testimonies for the Church, vol. 5, p. 64). If a member were to reject EGW he would be excommunicated from the SDA church.  Further the SDA is shown to be cultic by the fact that even though EGW has be proven to be a false prophet they ignore this in order to continue in their make-believe world (see www.theotokos.co.za/adventism/egw03.html and www.ellenwhite.org/egw35.htm).   

2)The SDA claim that they are the “remnant church”. They claim that only they possess the truth.

3)The SDA believe unique doctrines based on the writings of EGW not based on the Bible. A good example of this is the doctrine of the Investigative Judgment. This doctrine is supported by EGW, but unsupported by the Bible. No Christian ever believed such a doctrine as this. The SDA never questions what EGW taught, if she taught it then it must be from God. The members of this cult are not allowed to wonder why no Christian in all the previous centuries ever discovered this belief before EGW.

4)The SDA are quick to condemn anyone who is not in agreement with them. The SDA members that I have had contact with are quick to condemn me, but they do not look at the evidence. I have even had my life threatened by angry SDA members.

5)The SDA is a legalistic church. They stress Old Covenant law over New Testament grace. They are work oriented especially in the necessity of keeping their Sabbath to be saved. They are authoritarian because church officials attempt to control ever aspect of members lives. The SDA church also reserves to it self the right to say something and to have members agree.

The SDA is a cult by my estimation. If you have any other questions I will be glad to help. Below is a brief list of some of EGW Bible contradictions and false prophecies.

EGW says: The plan of salvation was made before the Fall (Great Controversy [GC], p.347).
The BIBLE says: The plan of salvation was made “before the world began” (II Timothy 1:9).

EGW says: Adam was deceived (GC,  p.352, 1885 ed.).
The BIBLE says: :It was not Adam who was deceived” (I Timothy 2:14).

EGW says: The Tower of Babel was built before the Flood (Spiritual Gifts [SG], vol. 3, p.301).
The BIBLE says: The Tower of Babel was built after the Flood (see Genesis 11:1-9).

EGW says: Some species of animals were not allowed into the ark (SG, vol. 3, p.15).
The BIBLE says: “Of all the living creatures you shall bring two into the ark” (Genesis 6:19).

EGW says: Not everything outside the ark died (SG, vol. 1, p.77).
The BIBLE says: “…everything on earth shall die” (Genesis 6:17).

EGW says: Noah ate only the flesh of clean animals (Patriarchs and Prophets [P&P], p.107).
The BIBLE says: “Every creature that is alive shall be yours to eat” (Genesis 9:3).

EGW says: Pharaoh's magicians did not turn their rods into snakes (SG, vol. 3, p.205-6).
The BIBLE says: The magicians did turn their rods into snakes (see Exodus 7:8-12).

EGW says: Slaves cannot be saved (SG, vol. 1, p.193; Early Writings [EW], p.276).
The BIBLE says: Slaves may be saved (see I Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:28).

EGW says: The Ten Commandments were written on only one side of the tablets (EW, p.32).
The BIBLE says: The Ten Commandments “were written on both sides, front and back” (Exodus 32:15).

EGW says: Jesus did not choose Judas (Desire of Ages [DA], p.293).
The BIBLE says: “Jesus replied, ‘Did I not choose the Twelve of you myself?'” (John 6:70).

EGW says: The Atonement was not finished at Calvary (Testimonies for the Church [TC], vol. 1, p.58; GC, p.422, 623).
The BIBLE says: The Atonement was finished at Calvary (see John 19:30; Hebrews 10:12).

EGW says: The blood of Christ doesn't cancel our sins (P&P, p. 357).
The BIBLE says: “The blood of His Son cleanses us of all sin” (I John 1:7; see also Romans 5:9; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 13:12).

EGW says: Jesus' bones were broken during the Crucifixion  (SG, vol. 1, p58).
The BIBLE says: Jesus' bones were not broken (see John 19:33, 36).

EGW says: We are reconciled to God through obedience to the Law (TC, vol. 4, p.294).
The BIBLE says: “…we were reconciled to Him by the death of His Son” (Romans 5:10; see also II Corinthians 5:18; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8-9).

EGW says: The seal of God is the keeping of the 7th day Sabbath (TC, vol. 8, p.117; GC, p.640).
The BIBLE says: The seal of God is the Holy Spirit (see II Corinthians 1:21-22; Ephesians 1:13; 4:30).

EGW said concerning her writings, “There is one straight chain of truth without one heretical sentence in that which I have written” (Selected Messages [SM], vol. 3, p.52). Nothing could be further from the truth as we have seen from a mere sampling of her contradictions with the Bible (for further information see www.ellenwhite.org). One thing that EGW said that I complete agree with is “If (my) testimonies speak not according to the Word of God, reject them” (TC, vol. 5, p.601). Amen, Ellen, amen!

PROPHECY: “Old Jerusalem would never be built up” (EW, p.75).
REALITY: Since 1948, Old Jerusalem has been greatly built up by the Israelis.

PROPHECY: EGW will be alive at Jesus' Second Coming (EW, pp.15-16).
REALITY: EGW died on July 16, 1915.

PROPHECY: Some alive in 1856 will see Christ's Second Coming (TC, vol. 1, pp.131-132).
REALITY: All from 1856 have died.

PROPHECY: The Civil War is a sign that Jesus is about to return (TC, vol. 1, p260).
REALITY: Jesus did not return.

PROPHECY: England will attack the U.S. during the Civil War (TC, vol. 1, p.259).
REALITY: England did not attack.

PROPHECY: The earth will be depopulated soon after 1864 (TC, vol. 8, p.94).
REALITY: The earth's population has increased greatly.

The Bible warns against “Prophets” like EGW. “Beloved, do not trust every spirit, but put the spirits to the test to see if they belong to God, because many false prophets have appeared in the world” (I John 4:1). 

For further evidence see Deuteronomy 18:20-22: Ezekiel 13:6-9, 17-23; Jeremiah 23:32; Matthew 24:24; II Peter 2:1-3.

I pray that this was of help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/Seventh-day-Adventist-religion.htm
Re: Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by akinnux(m): 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2011
I totally agree with your submission. The Jehovah Witness is another 'Christian' Cult that people should be careful about.

1 Like

Re: Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by globexl: 4:17am On Jul 30, 2011
@t the poster.
Is religion not about finding a path to inner spiritual refinement?. You are a very bad poster child for your religion. You seem so obsessed with finding fault with other faiths or sects. You are so zoned out by the sweetness of the OPIUM that you smoke that you cannot see any good in other peoples opium, therefore u feel compelled to slander and demonise them. why dont you just bask happily on ur own delusions and leave others to do the same?
"first take out the log in your eyes before you notice the spec in another person's eye"
Sound familiar? The spiritual journey is a long, tedious and lonely path. If you were on this journey, surely you would not have the time nor the temperament to antagonise people of different faiths or sects.
Re: Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by hardywaltz(m): 2:25pm On Jul 31, 2011
Nice Research, unfortunately neva bothered to know much about SDA, will comment when I finish my own research.
Re: Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by Julbu(m): 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
This poster has posted what he doesnt know anything about.SDA church is not a cult.u can search your bible from Genesis to revelation or even ask your pastors you will discover that there is no bible verse that support sunday worship.saturday is supported biblically.so why now come up with statement like saying SDA is a cult?please stop saying what you dont know.You can google the official website of SDA SO THAT CAN YOU KNOW MORE.You can also study your bible deligently.Let the bible speak for itself.
Re: Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by debexnil: 3:16pm On Jul 23, 2018
definition of cult
kʌlt/
noun
noun: cult; plural noun: cults

Cult is a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.

This would probably include your religion.

Your markers for cult is unbiblical and most of your sentiments on SDA is not true
Re: Cult Of Seventh Day Adventists by sKeetz(m): 4:39pm On Jul 23, 2018
All the things you wrote up there are the characteristics of every Christian sect and all religions in generals. I don't see the difference. Try again. undecided

(1) (Reply)

The Battle of Armageddon and the end of this world / Revealing The Illuminati / God Appears Openly In Front Of Millions In New Brunswick, Canada!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.