Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,909 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

My Reasons Why ASUU Shouldn't Be On Strike For More Funding - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Reasons Why ASUU Shouldn't Be On Strike For More Funding (343 Views)

Student Plead ASUU Shouldn't Cut Off Strike Via Social Media / Strike: Why ASUU Should Accept FG’s Offer — Ngige / University Of Ilorin Joins ASUU Strike For The First Time In 20 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Reasons Why ASUU Shouldn't Be On Strike For More Funding by CyberHustle: 8:36am On Jul 21, 2022
We are all aware ASUU have been on strike due to to some funding issues with past government. Well, I don't think they should be on strike and these are my reasons.

1. State University Funding Level.
The state universities unlike the federal ones pay less and yet are on session. If the lecturers in state schools can survive I see no reason why those with better pay packages federal owned schools should be going on strikes endlessly.

2. Failure Rate Among Student.
Federal universities are well known to attract the best students. Now when we consider the culture of failure among the so called best brains and their unemployability after graduation most times, I think the lecturers need to improve their services first and not seek pay increase before service.

3. The Flawed Argument of What Foreign Professors Earn.
There have been attempt recently to compare local professors salary to foregn ones. The argument only looks at pay disparity and not the buying power of the salaries involved. 250 thousand is some eight times the minimum wage in Nigeria but 140 thousand dollars isn't up to eight times the minimum wage in advanced countries so that comparison is flawed.
Also to note is that local professors don't pay utility bills in foreign currencies or at par with foreign professors when converted to dollar. They use local electricity, water, hospitals etc like the man with a wife and family earning 80,000 NGN. I see no reason for that comparison from any professor who is by merit.

4. Local Academics Barely Support Industries.
Our local academicians hardly produce research works that can be used to improve industrial capacity of businesses. Unlike foreign academicians who produce relevant papers for industries from time to time. This simple difference means the industries are more likely to support them with the research grants unlike local academicians. The local academicians only want more funding because of the institutionalized indolence easy crude oil money has been sustaining. Their call for more funds can come back to hurt the government if oil prices drop because the efforts of local academics has little or no impact on growth of the economy locally or more plainly put, the pocket of the federal government.
Re: My Reasons Why ASUU Shouldn't Be On Strike For More Funding by Voldoz: 9:08am On Jul 21, 2022
Nice write up you have a point to a point, this is what I was saying universities in Nigeria are not serving their purpose unlike the foreign counter parts.

Though government needs to do more, also the lecturers needs to do more too.

1 Like

Re: My Reasons Why ASUU Shouldn't Be On Strike For More Funding by CodeTemplar: 7:24am On Feb 05, 2023
Striking unions should be heavily regulated and monitored.

(1) (Reply)

Mathematics Test 10 For SS3 WAEC/NECO Students - WAEC Questions / Start Your 2023 Abroad Master’s Journey / 8 Universities That Do Not Require IELTS And Fully Funded Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.