Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

On The Ethnic Profiling Of The Igbos In Lagos And Incisive Posts Against Them. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On The Ethnic Profiling Of The Igbos In Lagos And Incisive Posts Against Them. (172 Views)

Ayu: APC Sponsoring Mischievous Social Media Posts Against Me / Northerners On Edge Over Ethnic Profiling In South West / Buhari Vows To Deal With Bandits, Warns Against Ethnic Profiling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On The Ethnic Profiling Of The Igbos In Lagos And Incisive Posts Against Them. by GeorgesDiary(m): 10:59am On Jul 21, 2022
It's so funny how some folks here are playing the ethnic card, profiling the Igbo people as though the Igbo people are the problem of Nigeria. Normally, I would have ignored this post and let me say that you won't change my opinion about the Yoruba people. The Yoruba people are amazing, my tailor is a Yoruba man, most amazing tailors in Anambra are Yoruba people and they are happy in Anambra State.

My tailor once told me that he is no longer Yoruba but Igbo. He eats Igbo food, speaks better Igbo than me, uses Igbo proverbs and listens to the local Igbo radio station. Would he say that if he was hated?

If you go to Main Market Onitsha, many Yorubas also carry out Businesses and nobody has ever stopped them. My best friend too is a Yoruba person. I have also always wanted to marry a Yoruba woman.

The persona that also brought my attention to this divisive post is a Yoruba man. Now let me address some of the things raised here.

1. Not all Igbos are supporting Peter Obi. I can list many Igbo people who are die-hard fans of Tinubu or Atiku. Some of them are very outspoken and have appeared on Arise and other channels. That is the same way we have Yorubas supporting Peter Obi.

Odumegwu Ojukwu contested against Obasanjo but Igbos voted overwhelmingly for Obasanjo. Obasanjo didn't win South West but he won South East despite Odumegwu being on the ballot. The records are there, go and verify them. I can also help you verify them if you want.

Kingsley Moughalu has been contesting for Presidency but has never gotten the overwhelming support of Igbos. Ask Rochas to contest, Igbos will not support him. If Osibanjo or Seyi Makinde is contesting against Peter Obi, the Igbos would have been divided on their choice because they love Seyi, they love Osibanjo. Igbos are after good governance and not ethnic politics. That is why it is always said that "Igbos don't love themselves" because they don't support you simply because you are Igbo.

2. Lagos was once a capital city. Igbos in Lagos came to Lagos as Nigerians just like every other person, they purchased lands legitimately, and they are carrying out their businesses legitimately. Some of them also joined the politics of Lagos and have grown through the ranks of Lagos politics.

Nobody brought them from the streets and forced leadership on them. There are also many Northerners in Lagos, their population is so overwhelming that they influence certain decisions. We saw this at play when Sanwo-Olu banned Okada in some areas and they protested. But how many investments have you seen from them in Lagos?

Igbos are always willing to invest anywhere they find themselves, it's even a problem on our part because we end up investing in regions where when attacked, we lose our propertied. The Igbos have contributed immensely to the development of Lagos but the other ethnic groups we have in South East hardly invest in South East.

Nobody has ever denied them buying lands, nobody has ever denied them building schools, nobody had ever denied them anything. Many don't also get very involved in the politics of the land. So many Yorubas in SE have lived here for more than 30 years, they speak Igbo, and their kids answer Igbo names. The problem is that they hardly invest in buying lands, and building infrastructures.

It's like the Northerners. All Northern communities in South-South and South East are not developed simply because the Northerners don't invest in other places, they prefer to come and squat together, do their business and go back to the North when they are tired of staying. Again, the Igbos are not like that. That is why, even in Canada, the US and Europe, many Igbo politicians have won elections there just like Yoruba migrants too.

Before you raise eyebrows that there aren't any Yorubas in the Politics of South East and South South, ask yourself if these Yorubas get themselves involved. Before you say they don't have houses in lands in the South East or South South, ask yourself if they reach out to buy lands and they were refused.

I was personally discussing with a friend and making arrangements to find cheap lands in South West and buy. Yet, we don't live in South West but we are thinking of looking for cheap lands and buy. If we succeed in doing that, tomorrow, someone will say that Igbos are taking over Yoruba land. But how many Yorubas are thinking of buying cheap lands in the South East? There isn't any attempt by Igbos to take over South West. They are simply making investments as they would do anywhere.

3. On the issue of insults. Igbos do not insult Yorubas. So many people including Tinubu supporters have been insulting Peter Obi and his supporters, calling them Obituaries, Obi supporters, PitObi and all sorts of names. Some of those insulting Peter Obi and his supporters are also Igbos. Many have also dug out certain ills they believe Peter Obi committed.

Why is it any different if someone is talking about Tinubu and his alleged drug dealings? Haven't you people also accused Peter Obi of investing in his family business (which is untrue anyway). If any Peter Obi supporters say something negative about Tinubu, you must understand that this is politics. Everyone is demarketing their opponents.

Tinubu camp is good at it too. Have Igbos risen to say that Yorubas hate them? That Yorubas are fighting against them? No! I think your problem is unhealthy insecurity or Inferiority complex. As I said, you and your likes do not represent the Yoruba people. Anybody insulting Tinubu, Peter Obi or Atiku is doing so in their capacities as individuals.

4. Should you say that Northerners supporting Tinubu are "Omo Ales"? Should you say that Igbos supporting Tinubu or Atiku are "Omo Ales"? I thought we were all fighting for a better Nigeria, when did it become a fight for regional superiority?

5. If we should be fair, we need to give Igbos credit for being true Nigerians despite being marginalized and shortchanged. Igbos are the only people willing to travel anywhere and invest heavily there. They are the only people willing to mix and get very involved in the politics of where they find themselves.

Igbos don't vote along ethnic lines. They vote overwhelmingly for people they believe will lead Nigeria well regardless of their tribe. They voted Obasanjo against a celebrated Odumegwu Ojukwu. Despite the call for secession, Igbos have shown great commitment to the Nigeria project.

And before you mention Biafra, let me say that not all Igbos support the idea of Biafra; many don't. Just the same way we have Yorubas agitating for Oduduwa nation is the same way some Igbos are agitating for Biafra.

What we need now is not the ethnic conflicts that you are fanning. Get your PVC, campaign for your candidate, if he is fingered in a crime, let him come out and explain himself the same way other candidates would. Don't hide under the ethnic label to spread hate and lies against an entire ethnic group.

I call you blessed.

1 Like

Re: On The Ethnic Profiling Of The Igbos In Lagos And Incisive Posts Against Them. by pointblank247(m): 11:09am On Jul 21, 2022
Op
Nice one bro, but Igbo haters have lopsided minds and do not reason with fact, most will not even read your post. Fact remains that Igbos are born survivors, they survived the pogron called Biafra war and still rose to be the tribe with the highest per capita income in Africa, the igbos survive and ignore their marginalisation especially in this government, they survive being blamed for every evil in Nigeria, it dosent matter.

(1) (Reply)

Thugs Invade PVC Registration Center, Made Away With Machines / Otumba: The Last Man Standing, The Only Option To Save Adamawa State / Atiku Seeks Increased Co-operation Between Nigeria, UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.