Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through (777 Views)

Religion is confusing me. / Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – / Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Prozico22(m): 10:11am On Jul 24, 2022
2nd king chapter 8:26
2nd chronicles 22:2
same person different years
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by matrixmuzi: 10:21am On Jul 24, 2022
The Bible is full of books and stories . Those verses are just same story but different chapters which points to the fact that the story is true if two different people can tell same story but my concern here is it’s word to word as it is represented in both verses.

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:31am On Jul 24, 2022
God speaketh with forked tongues.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 24, 2022
2 Chronicles 22:2
New King James Version
Ahaziah was forty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah the granddaughter of Omri.

2 Kings 8:26
New King James Version
Ahaziah was twenty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah the granddaughter of Omri, king of Israel.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Lighthouse50: 11:04am On Jul 24, 2022
The scripture has always been a book of wonders. Here is just a simple mistake from the translators of the bible. No wonder many religious sect are returning to the original scroll to confirm it authenticity. The preface of evey bible explained this. Before reading the bible. Read the preface to underrtand how the collections came about

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Dtruthspeaker: 1:12pm On Jul 24, 2022
Prozico22:

Simply 2 reports of the same person which proves the person and what happened to him.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Lukuluku69(m): 1:39pm On Jul 24, 2022
Prozico22:

Copy and paste but attributed to the holy spirit. You can read one and disregard the other. Nothing do you.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Prozico22(m): 2:21pm On Jul 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Simply 2 reports of the same person which proves the person and what happened to him.

different age 22 and 42
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:32pm On Jul 24, 2022
Prozico22:

A·ha·ziʹah was 22 years old when he became king, and he reigned for one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Ath·a·liʹah the granddaughter of King Omʹri of Israel. 2Kings 8:26

A·ha·ziʹah was 22 years old when he became king, and he reigned for one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Ath·a·liʹah the granddaughter of Omʹri. 2Chronicles 22:2

Check the New World Translation printed by the WATCHTOWER!

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by tctrills: 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2022
Lighthouse50:
The scripture has always been a book of wonders. Here is just a simple mistake from the translators of the bible. No wonder many religious sect are returning to the original scroll to confirm it authenticity. The preface of evey bible explained this. Before reading the bible. Read the preface to underrtand how the collections came about
Pls tell us what was written in the original scroll. Was it 22 years or 42 years.

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Lighthouse50: 4:19pm On Jul 24, 2022
tctrills:

Pls tell us what was written in the original scroll. Was it 22 years or 42 years.
how will that save or sanctify you? Jesus said woe to you pharisees and teachers of the law for you tithe carefully and left the weightier matter of the law. This you should have done. So i think its a wise decision to face the weightier matter of the biblical message than the age of a king. If you think you badly need the age and its of greater importance to you, be ready to sponsor my visa and ticket plus other necessities so we would lay our hands on the scroll to check.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Jul 24, 2022
Prozico22:
From 2nd Kings
25 Ahaziah son of Jehoram became the king of Judah in the 12th year that Joram son of Ahab was king of Israel.
26 Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to rule. He ruled one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah. She was the daughter of King Omri of Israel.
27 Ahaziah did what the Lord said was wrong. He did many bad things, just as the people from Ahab’s family had done. He lived like this because his wife was from Ahab’s family. - 2 Kings 8 vs 25 - 27
And from 2 Chronicles 22 vs 2
1 The people of Jerusalem chose Ahaziah to be the new king in Jehoram’s place. Ahaziah was Jehoram’s youngest son. The people who came with the Arabs to attack Jehoram’s camp killed all of Jehoram’s older sons. So Ahaziah began to rule in Judah.
2 He was 22 years old when he began to rule.[a] He ruled one year in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Athaliah. Her father’s name was Omri.
3 Ahaziah also lived the way Ahab’s family lived because his mother encouraged him to do wrong things.
4 Ahaziah did evil in the Lord’s sight. That is what Ahab’s family did. Ahab’s family gave advice to Ahaziah after Ahaziah’s father died. They gave Ahaziah bad advice that led to his death. - 2 Chronicles 22 vs 1 - 4
2 Chronicles 22:2 He was … rule The standard Hebrew text has “42 years old.” 2 Kings 8:26 says Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to rule.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by ANTIlSLAM(m): 4:43pm On Jul 24, 2022
Lukuluku69:

Copy and paste but attributed to the holy spirit. You can read one and disregard the other. Nothing do you.

Come and see what's attributed to allah, the idol Muhammad inherited from his father

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by tctrills: 4:45pm On Jul 24, 2022
Lighthouse50:
how will that save or sanctify you? Jesus said woe to you pharisees and teachers of the law for you tithe carefully and left the weightier matter of the law. This you should have done. So i think its a wise decision to face the weightier matter of the biblical message than the age of a king. If you think you badly need the age and its of greater importance to you, be ready to sponsor my visa and ticket plus other necessities so we would lay our hands on the scroll to check.
You don't have the answer. You could have simply said so instead of deceiving people and referring them to nonexistent scrolls.

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Dtruthspeaker: 5:48pm On Jul 24, 2022
Prozico22:

different age 22 and 42

That is the power of reports.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Lighthouse50: 6:51pm On Jul 24, 2022
tctrills:

You don't have the answer. You could have simply said so instead of deceiving people and referring them to nonexistent scrolls.
Scripture says do not give what is holy to dogs or throw your precious pearls to swine. It also tells us not to practice our religion before men. So if you want to know the truth, apply for it.
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by tctrills: 9:56pm On Jul 24, 2022
Lighthouse50:
Scripture says do not give what is holy to dogs or throw your precious pearls to swine. It also tells us not to practice our religion before men. So if you want to know the truth, apply for it.
Now you call others dogs funny boy

2 Likes

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by xproducer: 10:05pm On Jul 24, 2022
Prozico22:

+++

"The books of Kings and Chronicles cover much of the same history of God’s chosen people. The books of 1 and 2 Kings take the perspective of the northern kingdom of Israel, and the books of 1 and 2 Chronicles focus more on the southern kingdom of Judah. But the same kings are mentioned in both histories. There is some question about King Ahaziah’s age when he started to reign (this is King Ahaziah of Judah, not King Ahaziah of Israel). One record (2 Kings 8:26) says Ahaziah was 22 years old at the start of his reign, but the other record (2 Chronicles 22:2) says he was 42 years old—at least in some translations.

All translations of 2 Kings 8:26 are in agreement that Ahaziah of Judah was 22 years old at the start of his reign. And most translations of 2 Chronicles 22:2 also have his age at 22. However, some versions, such as the KJV, NKJV, ASV, and NRSV, state that Ahaziah acceded to the throne when he was 42 years old, not 22.

There are several theories to explain the discrepancy between 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2. Here are four of them:

1. Second Kings 8:26 records when Ahaziah began co-ruling with his father Joash, while Second Chronicles 22:2 records when Ahaziah began ruling on his own once his father Joash died.

2. The 42-year age is that of Ahaziah’s mother, Athaliah. This theory is based on the peculiar wording of the Hebrew in 2 Chronicles 22:2, which literally says that the king was “a son of forty-two years.”

3. The 42 years is a reference not to Ahaziah’s age but where he came in the history of his family’s dynasty. Ahaziah was in the family of King Ahab of Israel, which 2 Chronicles 22:2–3 points out. That dynasty began with his grandfather Omri. The lengths of the reigns of all the kings in this family are as follows:
Omri — 6 years
Ahab — 22 years
Ahaziah (of Israel) — 2 years
Joram (or Jehoram) — 12 years
Total — 42 years

Since Ahaziah began to reign in Judah in the last year of Joram’s reign in Israel (2 Kings 8:25), Ahaziah would have ascended the throne in the 42nd year of that dynasty in Israel, which explains his being called “a son of forty-two years.” Ahaziah was a “son” of the dynasty of Omri, which was in its 42nd year when he took the throne. If this theory is correct, then 2 Kings 8:26 gives us Ahaziah’s age, and 2 Chronicles 22:2 gives us the age of his family’s rule.

4. Somewhere in the centuries-long copying process, a scribe made an error, changing the “22 years” of 2 Chronicles 22:2 to “42 years.” Not all the Hebrew manuscripts reflect the error, as a couple of ancient translations, the Syriac and the Arabic, each have “22 years,” thus bringing 2 Chronicles 22:2 and 2 Kings 8:26 into perfect agreement.

Adding support to this fourth theory is the biblical historian’s note in 2 Kings 8:17 that Ahaziah’s father, Joram, died at the age of 40. Therefore, Ahaziah could not have been 42 years old when he took over. Joram could not have had children before he himself was born, and so Ahaziah’s age when he began to reign must have been 22.

The original manuscript of each book of the Bible, being directly inspired by God, was free from all error. However, a few copyist errors crept into the Hebrew manuscripts as they were passed down from one generation to the next. In this case, the numerical notations in question varied so slightly that a smudge of ink, a wrinkle, or a tear on one copy could have led a scribe to write “42” rather than “22.”

The Bible today is just as authoritative as it was when originally written. We can completely trust the Bible as being God’s message to us. God’s Word endures forever, despite the occasional scribal mistake. Such errors are readily identified, and the issues they give rise to can be resolved."

https://www.gotquestions.org/Ahaziah-22-42.html

1 Like

Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by jubrilcastle(m): 11:41pm On Jul 24, 2022
Let me confuse you the more

II Samuel 24:1:
“And again, the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say: "Go, number Israel and Judah.".”

I Chronicles 21:1:
“And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.”
Question. Is Satan the Lord of David? May God forbid it!

II Samuel 6:23:
“Therefore, Michal the daughter of Saul had no child until the day of her death.”

II Samuel 21:8
“But the king took the two sons of Rizpah, the daughter of Aiah, whom she bore unto Saul, Arrnoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal, the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzilai the Meholthite.”

Question. Did Michal have children or not? Note: The name Michal in II Samuel 21:8 is still present in “The King James version” and “The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures” used by the
Jehovah's Witnesses, but has been changed to Merab in “The New American Standard Bible” (1973).

II Samuel 8:4:
“And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven hundred horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen ...”

I Chronicles 18:4:
“And David took from him a thousand chariots and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen ...”
Question. Seven hundred or seven thousand?

II Samuel 10:18:

“And the Syrians fled before Israel, and David slew the men of seven hundred chariots of the Syrians, and forty thousand horsemen, and smote Shobach, the captain of their host, who died there.”

I Chronicles 19:18:

“But the Syrians fled before Israel, and David slew of the Syrians seven thousand men which fought in chariots, and forty thousand footmen, and killed Shophach, the captain of their host.”
Question. Seven hundred chariots or seven thousand men? Forty thousand horsemen or footmen? Shobach or Shophach?

II Kings 24:8:

“Jehoiachim was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months.”

II Chronicles 36:9:
“Jehoiachim was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem.”
Question. Eighteen years or eight years? Three months or three months
and ten days?

II Samuel 23:8:
“These be the names of the mighty men whom David had: The Tachmonite that sat in the seat, chief among the captains; the same was Adino the Eznite: he lifted up his spear against eight
hundred, whom he slew at one time.”

I Chronicles 11:11:
“And this is the number of the mighty men who David had: Jashobeam, an Hachmonite, the chief of the captains; he lifted up his spear against three hundred slain by him at one time.”
Question. Tachmonite or Hachmonite? Eight hundred or three hundred?
Re: This Bible Verse Is Confusing Put Me Through by Cordenify(m): 1:51am On Jul 25, 2022

(1) (Reply)

What About Having A Girl Friend In Thesame Choir / "what Day Is The Sabbath, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is Islamic View Of Banking In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.