Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,675 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:54 AM

Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) (365 Views)

Pandora Paper: How Peter Obi Used Daughter's Name For Fraud / I Didn't Violate Any Law - Peter Obi On Pandora Paper (Video) / Pandora Paper Implicates Nigerian Vice President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by MayorOfDelta(m): 5:22pm On Jul 24, 2022
The result of the Pandora Papers leaks, the Premium Times reported on Obi's involvement in offshore companies in tax havens such as the British Virgin Islands and Barbados.

Obi appeared to have made shell companies in the 1990s with the Barbados-based Beauchamp Investments Limited and UK-based Next International (UK) Limited being tied back to Obi and his family.

This was before he held any political office in Nigeria. Further reporting showed that in 2010 as well, Obi had Access International help him set up and manage Gabriella Investments Limited, a company in the British Virgin Islands named after Obi's daughter.

One of the directors was also the director of a Belize-based shell company that was issued 50,000 shares in Gabriella Investments. In 2017, Obi reorganized the company under the name PMGG Investments Limited and created a trust named The Gabriella Settlement which became the sole shareholder in PMGG Investments Limited. Obi was not holding any political position at this time.

According to the Premium Times report which claimed that Obi had broken several laws due to his business dealings. The report claimed that firstly, Obi remained as director of Next International (UK) Limited while serving as Governor of Anambra State, which is in direct violation of Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act.

However Obi described that claim to be misleading and wrong in an interview with Arise News stating that he resigned from all companies before taking the office of Governor of Anambra State.

Secondly, it claimed that Obi's non-declaration of his offshore companies broke the Nigerian Constitution's provision that require public officers to declare all their properties, assets, and liabilities. Lastly, both the Constitution and the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act outlaw a public officer from holding a bank account outside Nigeria and the leaks (along with Obi's response to them) made it clear that Obi maintained his foreign accounts while serving as Governor.

After the revelations, civil society groups pushed for investigations into Obi as reporters queried the EFCC on if the commission would start investigating Obi.

A few days after the report, Obi responded by claiming that he did not break any laws and clarified that the accounts' money was accrued from his time as a businessman. The EFCC invited him for questioning later in October 2021 after Buhari directed all anti-corruption agencies to investigate those named in the leaks.

However, no criminal case has ever been filed against Obi.

Source: Wikipedia.

Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by MayorOfDelta(m): 5:25pm On Jul 24, 2022
Seun
Mynd44
Lalasticlala

Frontpage
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by Favaman(m): 5:31pm On Jul 24, 2022
Upon all these allegations, EFCC and other agencies fighting corruption have not indicted or taken him to court.

This shows they have nothing to prove for the allegations against PO. They are just merely accusations borne out of envy and opposition just to stain him..

The same can't be said of one agbado investor from osun.. He was even indicted in USA. Can you imagine?
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by ican2020: 5:55pm On Jul 24, 2022
Op you are frustrated

Someone invested his money and I don’t know why you are so pained

Poverty is a curse

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by SmartPolician: 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2022
ican2020:
Op you are frustrated

Poverty is a curse

OP is not pained; he is being objective in his assessment. Besides, he cited his source.

Finally, I want to vote for Peter Obi, but anyone who wants to hold the highest office of the country should be open for public scrutiny.
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by MayorOfDelta(m): 6:09pm On Jul 24, 2022
ican2020:
Op you are frustrated

Poverty is a curse

I am not making any accusation here, I just stated how this pandora palava and other stuffs went.. If you read my last line very well, you will see that I am not here accusing him of any illegality.
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by Vulturereloaded: 6:11pm On Jul 24, 2022
The real summary.

Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by Aldol: 6:12pm On Jul 24, 2022
Favaman:
Upon all these allegations, EFCC and other agencies fighting corruption have not indicted or taken him to court.

This shows they have nothing to prove for the allegations against PO. They are just merely accusations borne out of envy and opposition just to stain him..

The same can't be said of one agbado investor from osun.. He was even indicted in USA. Can you imagine?
Do you actually know the meaning of indictment
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by RobsonsTARz: 6:44pm On Jul 24, 2022
The drug people with their agbado and cassava will still misquote this information
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by Anambra1stSon(m): 6:50pm On Jul 24, 2022
MayorOfDelta:

I am not making any accusation here, I just stated how this pandora palava and other stuffs went.. If you read my last line very well, you will see that I am not here accusing him of any illegality.
Obi is too clean for them, they would have used EFCC and ICPC to cage him, even when he was attacking Buhari economic policies
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by Tinubuagbado: 6:54pm On Jul 24, 2022
SmartPolician:

OP is not pained; he is being objective in his assessment. Besides, he cited his source.

Finally, I want to vote for Peter Obi, but anyone who wants to hold the highest office of the country should be open for public scrutiny.
Why don't you scrutinize Tinubu too?

Why single out only Peter Obi?
Re: Peter Obi: Pandora Paper Revelation (summary) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 24, 2022
There is nothing you can tell IPOB miscreants and cannibals without brain

(1) (Reply)

Congratulations APC � / Can Tinubu Buy Every Nigerian With Money To Support Him In 2023 / Why Does Atiku Have Preference For Igbos As VP, From OBI To OKOWA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.