Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,919 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec (41005 Views)

Athletics Legend Michael Johnson Slammed For Casting Doubt On Amusan's Record / Elizabeth Johnson Is Dead (Sunshine Queens FC Goalkeeper Dies) / OMG!! Barcelona Star Arda Turan Threatens Reporter After Questioning His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by robosky02(m): 8:43am On Jul 26, 2022
Michael Johnson is accused of 'black racism' after questioning Nigerian athlete Tobi Amusan's time when she obliterated the 100m hurdles world record

Athletics fans have accused track legend Michael Johnson of 'black racism' for questioning whether Nigerian sprinter Tobi Amusan's world record was valid.

The 100-meter hurdler romped to victory in 12.12 seconds to beat Kendra Harrison's 2016 world record by 0.08 seconds at the World Athletics Championships in Oregon Sunday.

Amusan was one of a succession of athletes to smash world records or their own personal best times in the women's 100m hurdles alone.

Of the 24 semi-finalists in the three races, 12 recorded their best times ever - and Johnson was instantly skeptical of the times recorded in the stadium.

THE RECORDS BROKEN IN THE WOMEN'S 100M HURDLES SEMI-FINALS
Tobi Amusan 12.12 WR

Britany Anderson 12.31 NR

Alia Armstrong 12.43 PB

Devynne Charlton 12.46 NR

Cindy Sember 12.50 NR

Megan Tapper 12.52 PB

Pia Skrzyszowska 12.62 PB

Michelle Jenneke 12.66 PB

Ditaji Kambundji 12.70 PB

Michelle Harrison 12.74 PB

Mako Fukube 12.82 NR

Marione Fourie 12.93 PB

*WR - World Record, PB - Personal Best, NR - National Record

The 54-year-old, who claimed four Olympic golds and eight World Championship golds in a stellar track career, took to Twitter after seeing how many athletes looked shocked at their own times.

'I don't believe 100h (100m hurdles) times are correct,' he wrote.

'World record broken by .08! 12 PBs (personal bests) set. 5 National records set. And Cindy Sember quote after her PB/NR (national record) 'I thought I was running slow!' All athletes looked shocked [sic].

'Heat 2 we were first shown winning time of 12.53. Few seconds later it shows 12.43. Rounding down by .01 is normal. .10 is not.'

Amusan became world champion in an even faster time later in the day at Hayward Field but the time did not count toward records due to a hefty tailwind.

But fans on social media were not happy with Johnson for mentioning Amusan's world record, with one accusing him of 'black racism'.

The Twitter user, calling himself Slim Daddy, wrote: 'Michael Johnson are you naturally this dumb or do you have to put in effort?

'Why don't you channel your energy to recovering from your stroke you Black racist!

'Tobi Amusan is a world record holder and there's nothing you can

One Twitter user claimed Johnson - who now commentates for the BBC - might have been seeking revenge after USA were stripped of the 4x100m Olympic title in 2000 and Nigeria took gold instead.

'The US 4x400m team that had Michael Johnson was stripped of the Sydney 2000 Olympic gold medal because Antonio Pettigrew confessed that he doped during the competition,' the Tweet read.

'The Nigerian team was eventually awarded the gold medal. Do you understand his bitterness now?'

Johnson, who was also labeled 'pathetic', branded the backlash he received 'unacceptable' and pointed out that he did not only question Amusan's time.

He wrote later on his Twitter account: 'The level of dumbassery coming across my feed right now is truly staggering!

'As a commentator my job is to comment. In questioning the times of 28 athletes (not 1 athlete) by wondering if the timing system malfunctioned.

'I was attacked, accused of racism, and of questioning the talent of an athlete I respect and predicted to win. Unacceptable. I move on.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11046681/Michael-Johnson-accused-RACISM-questioning-Nigerian-athletes-world

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 26, 2022
Uncle ruckus wannabe

He should get mad at his teammate who doped up

121 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by robosky02(m): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2022
Any way the world should wait for more record breaking feat

Cos we have all the talents only if this government will do the needful

Shame to the likes of Michael Johnson.. The record stands..

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by YinkaOlusesi16(m): 8:58am On Jul 26, 2022
The record is already set, there is nothing anybody can do about it.

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Reinamaria(f): 9:00am On Jul 26, 2022
Since Amusan is not an African American, then something must've gone wrong.

134 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by richard870(m): 12:57pm On Jul 26, 2022
d
Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by posty56: 12:57pm On Jul 26, 2022
same thing I said in the other thread this English people I don't know what is wrong with them,you have been conquering competitions , nobody said a bleep ,now black don win , them don they question? thunder fire all of them there , racist shits

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by MMWandali: 12:57pm On Jul 26, 2022
We knew it

There must be a motive behind all their noise

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by fergie001: 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
Michael Johnson, you eff up!

8 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by lawavaro: 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
She's a winner and nothing can stop that.

Point blank period.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by admax(m): 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
He's a stupid guy!

16 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by EatforHealth: 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
Bitter guy

He had to turn off the comment feature on his Twitter handle buy that won't stop Nigerians for quoting him and giving him a real taste of TwitterNG vaulence

In a long while, I saw a united Nigerian front against an external embittered soul

He's a disgrace to the world renowned MJs like Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan etc

If you want to have a good laugh, read through those quotes. Naija na cruise grin grin grin grin

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Theactor(m): 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
is so sad when a spectacular and amazing thing come from Africa,the whites will quickly find one or two reason to play it down,this people don't want any spectacular thing from Africa because they believe Africans are not suppose be that unique and this is so sad, that is why till the world end, RACISM can never vanish

I remember during the Floyd George era in 2020 that call for worldwide attention, some folks told me then that,it will be the end of racism in the world because racism matter have never get so much attention like that of Floyd George case,I laugh and told them that it will still continue after and they said it is a lie,that year did not pass when Whites police shot a black man 7 times again and till now many more incidents has been recorded

some Whites will never rate the blacks,or agree anything good will come from the black race,they are call white fanatics, but black even in there disbelieve continue to conquer,fly and win to there faces....Black is strong, bold and energetic.....we don't give a Bleep to white fanatics believe, that is it.

comgrat tobi amusan,we celebrate you... yolo

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Prozico22(m): 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
GOD anybody supporting APC
My mother
My girl friend
My sibling
My friend
My external family
Cut them all from me I dont need there help because the are all evil

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Nova1982: 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
White people are terrible!

7 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by chloedogie(m): 12:58pm On Jul 26, 2022
Very stupid of him to have done that. I tell people that the main reason why racism still exists is because of black people. Until you live in a place dominated by blacks and whites mixed together in a community, you won't really understand racism.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Winters23: 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022
shocked

1 Like

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by DamnNiggar: 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022
Thief
Nu
But

1 Like

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Triangles1(m): 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022
The way we always reacted to this racist people make them to always want to do more, ignoring is a classic revenge.

If we can ignore them the world wlsee it as nothing but if we react they wlsee it as something terrible.

4 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022
Wahala dey o and na black man hin be...
Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Slytech29: 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022
Hey
Do you wanna learn the calculation & indepth recipes for commercial, homemade and Ghana bread making with & without industrial baking machines.
Also have a knowledge of the step to step guide to get your NAFDAC number.
Do well to join the group by messaging me with the number below to learn how to make bread from the beginning to the end.
Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by verybadmouth(m): 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022
Nobody care what anyone thinks. the Medal is ours. Ijebu to the world. grin grin grin

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Trueprophet91: 12:59pm On Jul 26, 2022

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by TimmyTen(m): 1:01pm On Jul 26, 2022
Raci*t. They think nothing good can come out of Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 26, 2022
Any other michael aside michael jackson na clown

He should change he surname to something else

10 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by chloedogie(m): 1:02pm On Jul 26, 2022
Nova1982:
White people are terrible!

Michael Johnson is white? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Nairaland sha.

8 Likes

Re: Michael Johnson Is Accused Of 'black Racism' After Questioning Amusans World Rec by ipobarecriminals: 1:02pm On Jul 26, 2022
sad a rin nile inu bi eleshin o baba

Eni ta ni ko fe ni l'oju to f'ata senu

Baba rere gbawa l'owo amunisin bi Michael Johnson sad

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Neymar Celebrates Kylian Mbappe Hat-trick Goal Vs Barcelona (Photos, Video) / Some Top Football Coaches And The Cars They Drive / Photos Of President Jonathan Watching Nigeria Vs Bosnia World Cup Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.