Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,954 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail (1975 Views)

Rotary District Governor Mike Omotosho Walks To End Polio (photos) / WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free / Bill Gates: Nigeria Advances The Fight Against Polio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Jul 31, 2011
[size=13pt]Nigerian State Orders Parents to Immunize Against Polio[/size]

Officials in Nigeria's northern Kano state say parents who refuse to have their children vaccinated against polio may be prosecuted.

The government order issued this week comes as the United Nations children's agency, UNICEF, has been pressuring Nigeria's northern states to promote vaccination against the highly contagious disease. Officials began a four-day immunization campaign in Kano on Thursday, with the goal of immunizing six million children.

Parents caught disobeying the order could face jail time.

The World Health Organization says a polio outbreak began spreading in the second half of 2008. Efforts to contain it have been complicated by rumors that the vaccine is harmful to children.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/west/Nigerian-State-Orders-Parents-to-Immunize-Against-Polio--126403243.html
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Jul 31, 2011
Is kano State now working with the west to annihilate all Muslims shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by aljharem3: 4:35pm On Jul 31, 2011
Good

but it should be checked very well and tested in Universities and health centres before used on children
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Jul 31, 2011
um . . . why??
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by PA1982(f): 12:23pm On Aug 01, 2011
I'm new here and don't to get people's backs up.
BUT
The polio vaccine is safe.
It has irradicated polio in the countries where it's used.
Please don't pass up the chance to inoculate your kiddies against the hideous suffering and life-long effects of this disease.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by blank(f): 1:48pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^^^^^^^

The one that they did before, the drug company used their "kiddies" as guinea pigs and some died and are deformed and u want them to still trust the same companies? Put yourself in the parents' position.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by texazzpete(m): 1:53pm On Aug 01, 2011
blank:

^^^^^^^^

The one that they did before, the drug company used their "kiddies" as guinea pigs and some died and are deformed and u want them to still trust the same companies? Put yourself in the parents' position.

That was Pfizer, and that had nothing to do with Polio vaccine. Please strive to post learned and intelligent comments on NL in the future.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 01, 2011
The barbarism in the North is outstanding. So, they are now going to force people to immunize instead of educating them on the benefits of immunization.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by blank(f): 2:11pm On Aug 01, 2011
@ Texaspette. You are quite a big f-ool for posting that thrash. I know it is meningitis. Do i need to have mentioned the name? Must you be spoonfed? Can you not make the inference that was so glaring in the post? Ok, let me help you.

Since the MENINGITIS drug trial by Pfizer, parents have been skeptical of any such drug by drug companies. This has reached the extent that they have refused to send their "kiddies" for routine stuff like immunizations and stuff.

How hard was that for you to understand? SMH.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by daniellle(f): 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2011
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Iolo(m): 4:01pm On Aug 01, 2011
blank:

@ Texaspette. You are quite a big f-ool for posting that thrash. I know it is meningitis. Do i need to have mentioned the name? Must you be spoonfed? Can you not make the inference that was so glaring in the post? Ok, let me help you.

Since the MENINGITIS drug trial by Pfizer, parents have been skeptical of any such drug by drug companies. This has reached the extent that they have refused to send their "kiddies" for routine stuff like immunizations and stuff.

Trust me the average Northern mother or father who rejects access to their kids doesn't know about the Pzifer issue.

Where I am immunization is done once every month. They use corpers as monitors and supervisors but not vaccinators so ma info is kinda first hand. From what I hear those few who reject do so out of pure ignorance. Not knowing what immunization does and all or rather not believing in its effectiveness.
Sensitization is key.

I also heard of an episode where mothers coming for ante or is it post natal where asking for money before submitting their wards for free vaccination right there at the hospital.

So there you have it. The issue is quite a bit complex.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by bizonline: 4:39pm On Aug 01, 2011
The people have a right to protect their children if the govt cannot prove it to them beyond doubt that the polio immunization will not end up like what happened in the same state when they are "killmunizing" the children against meningitis
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by texazzpete(m): 5:18pm On Aug 01, 2011
blank:

Since Iolo has done a good job in trying to force the relevant knowledge through your thick skull, I will not dwell much on the matter.

Since we're talking about 'inference' and 'deduction', how did it skip your mind that the Pfizer scandal took place in 1996 and this is 2011. Most of the parents there have not even heard of Pfizer before. In the intervening years, there have been periods with a high degree of compliance with the immunization program.

bizonline:

The people have a right to protect their children if the govt cannot prove it to them beyond doubt that the polio immunization will not end up like what happened in the same state when they are "killmunizing" the children against meningitis

Pfizer's Trovan was not a vaccine to 'immunize' anyone. it was an antibiotic administered to children already seriously ill with meningitis. Seriously, why are you people so unaware of significant events in your own country?
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 01, 2011
Ghana succeeded in eradicating the dreadful diseases. So, why can't Nigeria?

Kano govt forcing people against their will is abuse of human rights. I hope the state govt. curdle and educate the people why they need the immunization.

The govt. can go on air to explain better to the people as follow:

1. Immunization will save the lives of our children from Measles, Meningitis,etc

2. Dramatize people with eye problems and those with deformed  limbs, etc.

3. Explain to the people how the vaccines work.

4. Provide insurance/assurance for protection of the people.

5. Provide guarantee for the citizens and level of security of the drugs.

6. Give examples of countries which succeeded in immunizing their people, how they are living better lives with good health.And, reduction in child mortality rate.

7. How it can help to save communities from any form of communicable diseases and mortality,etc.

8. Provide things of attraction to get them immunized. Like providing food joints or bags of foodstuff for those hungry families after vaccination.

9.Make vaccinations look religiously necessary. Look for parts of the Qu'ran that speak concerning better health, Let them Know it's in accordance with good health(Make sure that it's not misleading because it might leads to other troubles).

It is time our leaders learn to care about the masses. I can see the frustration why the govt. can't be trusted.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Jenifa1: 5:04am On Aug 02, 2011
na wa o.
these jail threats will only make parents more afraid of it.

yes polio vaccination is great. but sometimes these vaccinations are not 100% for Africa's best interest. things have gone wrong in the past so what makes us sure that things won't go wrong again?
some vaccinations for women and children were being laced with anti-fertility drugs in order for WHO to carry out population control in the third world. That is utterly evil and why are they now surprised that parents don't trust the vaccines?
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by blank(f): 4:53pm On Aug 02, 2011
texazzpete:

Since Iolo has done a good job in trying to force the relevant knowledge through your thick skull, I will not dwell much on the matter.

Since we're talking about 'inference' and 'deduction', how did it skip your mind that the Pfizer scandal took place in 1996 and this is 2011. Most of the parents there have not even heard of Pfizer before. In the intervening years, there have been periods with a high degree of compliance with the immunization program.

Pfizer's Trovan was not a vaccine to 'immunize' anyone. it was an antibiotic administered to children already seriously ill with meningitis. Seriously, why are you people so unaware of significant events in your own country?

MR ITK, we have heard you. Who has not heard of Pfizer before? I have been part of the immunisation project as a volunteer. The feedback we were getting was that people had passed on urban legends of how the govt\foreigners want to reduce their population and this was an avenue. It was cos of the Pfizer issue. They don't know the name of the company but they do know the issue that happened (though the details have definitely changed).

I won't trade insults with you cos i believe that there is a civilized way of exchanging opinions. You may disagree with my opinion but you don't need to insult me.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by PA1982(f): 8:35am On Aug 03, 2011
Jenifa, where did you hear that about the anti-fertility campaign?
Are you sure it's not an urban legend?
Look at how blank was confused on the issue of vaccines.
I think that education has to be a key issue here.

But irradicating the horror of polio has to come first.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by blank(f): 9:15am On Aug 03, 2011
@ PA1982, I was not confused on anything.
Also, what does "irradicating" mean since you are the one that is not confused?
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by Jenifa1: 8:31pm On Aug 03, 2011
PA1982:

Jenifa, where did you hear that about the anti-fertility campaign?
Are you sure it's not an urban legend?
Look at how blank was confused on the issue of vaccines.
I think that education has to be a key issue here.

But irradicating the horror of polio has to come first.

we can't really find out for sure if it's true or not.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12346214

I think trust is more important than education in this case because if the people do not trust, they will receive the "education" in one ear and it will go out of the other very fast.

the polio vaccination is very important and I wish it didn't have to resort to jail threats. that increases the mistrust even more.
Re: Kano State Orders Parents To Immunize Against Polio -- risk Jail by PA1982(f): 12:37am On Aug 04, 2011
Blank, here's a link that should clear up what 'irradicating' means.
My bad for bad spelling!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eradicating

But let's be honest here.
The thread is out there for everyone to read.
Urban legends are a bad base for deciding our children's health.

Jenifa, your link says-
A priest, president of Human Life International (HLI) based in Maryland, has asked Congress to investigate reports of women in some developing countries unknowingly receiving a tetanus vaccine laced with the anti-fertility drug human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG). If it is true, he wants Congress to publicly condemn the mass vaccinations and to cut off funding to UN agencies and other involved organizations. The natural hormone hCG is needed to maintain pregnancy. The hormone would produce antibodies against hCG to prevent pregnancy. In the fall of 1994, the Pro Life Committee of Mexico was suspicious of the protocols for the tetanus toxoid campaign because they excluded all males and children and called for multiple injections of the vaccine in only women of reproductive age. Yet, one injection provides protection for at least 10 years. The Committee had vials of the tetanus vaccine analyzed for hCG. It informed HLI about the tetanus toxoid vaccine. HLI then told its World Council members and HLI affiliates in more than 60 countries. Similar tetanus vaccines laced with hCG have been uncovered in the Philippines and in Nicaragua. In addition to the World Health Organization (WHO), other organizations involved in the development of an anti-fertility vaccine using hCG include the UN Population Fund, the UN Development Programme, the World Bank, the Population Council, the Rockefeller Foundation, the US National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, and Uppsala, Helsinki, and Ohio State universities. The priest objects that, if indeed the purpose of the mass vaccinations is to prevent pregnancies, women are uninformed, unsuspecting, and unconsenting victims.

What does this have to do with polio vaccines?
In any case, the report is short on sources, long on rumour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin
Check out the Wiki link I've posted.
You may be surprised to learn what human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) actually is.

(1) (Reply)

Can A 19 Year Old's Fallen Br.easts Rise Again? / How To Kill Ebola Virus. For pharmacists/biochemists Only. / Deepure Instant Puerh Tea For ₦7,500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.