Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? (682 Views)

Nigerian Lady Reveals What ASUU Strike Has 'Done To Her' (Before & After Photos) / ASUU Strike: What's Next If Demands Are Not Met By May 15? / List Of ASUU Demands As Strike Is Suspended Conditionally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by yhemsy62(m): 9:06am On Jul 27, 2022
I was browsing through my Twitter this morning when I come across this tweet by Seun Osewa, challenging people to point out the "ASUU DEMANDS"

So I think it would be nice to talk about this here also, because I believe not everyone knows what ASUU DEMANDS actually entails.

So on behalf of Seun Osewa I brought this here for great mind folks to have a say on this topic

Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Seun(m): 9:30pm On Jul 28, 2022
Good thread.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by nymphomaniac(m): 11:21pm On Jul 28, 2022
I think they are demanding for legacy payments and improved welfare for staff
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Skibani99(m): 12:34am On Jul 29, 2022
Renegotiation of the 2009 agreement..
Adoption of UTAS over IPPS ..
these are the major issues I presume..
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Seun(m): 5:30am On Jul 29, 2022
Skibani99:
Renegotiation of the 2009 agreement..
Adoption of UTAS over IPPS ..
these are the major issues I presume..
Why is adoption of UTAS so important?
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by donbrowser(m): 6:46am On Jul 29, 2022
Seun:

IPPIS has a lot of flaws such as inconsistency in disbursement and payment errors. Secondly lecturers do not only receive salaries, arrears and leave allowance like other civil servants. There's sabbatical, research funds etc but these are not captured in IPPIS which is programmed for civil servants. Hence ASUU requests that these should be captured or UTAS should be adopted.

ASUU will never settle for IPPIS unless FG upgrades but I understand the FG fear is other Union would come up with their payment platforms too if ASUU succeeds but they (FG) need to do the right thing. All benefits must be captured and payed.
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by seunmsg(m): 6:49am On Jul 29, 2022
Seun:

UTAS was specially designed by ASUU to ensure the current system whereby PAYE are under-deducted, illegal allowances are paid and lecturers can earn salaries from different universities at the same time is continued. IPPIS will put a stop to that.

Funny enough, over 90% of federal public servants who receive their salaries from CRF are on IPPIS and they are not complaining. Why ASUU is so adamant on not joining IPPIS is simply because they don’t want FG to curb the payroll fraud in the university system. NITDA also conducted an integrity test on the UTAS software and it failed the integrity test. By implication, the accuracy and security of the software is not guaranteed.

The other issue has to do with an agreement FG signed with ASUU since 2009. Yar’adua was the president as at that time. The question is, why did Yar’adua and Jonathan refused to implement the agreement from 2009-2015 if it will implementation was that straightforward? I don’t know the exact details of the agreement but one thing is clear, it cannot be realistically implemented since no government is willing to implement it since 2009.

Hopefully, FG and ASUU will sit down and renegotiate the agreement and come up with something more realistic. Most importantly, ASUU must drop their insistence on UTAS and join other public servants who are already on IPPIS. They can’t be treated differently from the rest of us.
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Skibani99(m): 7:04am On Jul 29, 2022
Seun:
Well the UTAS will serve as the platform for payment of salaries for the lecturer's and it is developed locally,unlike the IPPS which is foreign and would require large sums of money to service.. When the govt brought up the idea of using ipps in i think 2020 the ASUU rejected it.. The govt told ASUU to develop a system that would be convenient for them by which they created utas that has been failing integrity test according to the govt and ASUU is demanding that utas must be adopted as the platform for payment of salaries over the ipps..
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Secondly: 8:28am On Jul 29, 2022
seunmsg:

UTAS was specially designed by ASUU to ensure the current system whereby PAYE are under-deducted, illegal allowances are paid and lecturers can earn salaries from different universities at the same time is continued. IPPIS will put a stop to that.

Funny enough, over 90% of federal public servants who receive their salaries from CRF are on IPPIS and they are not complaining. Why ASUU is so adamant on not joining IPPIS is simply because they don’t want FG to curb the payroll fraud in the university system. NITDA also conducted an integrity test on the UTAS software and it failed the integrity test. By implication, the accuracy and security of the software is not guaranteed.

The other issue has to do with an agreement FG signed with ASUU since 2009. Yar’adua was the president as at that time. The question is, why did Yar’adua and Jonathan refused to implement the agreement from 2009-2015 if it will implementation was that straightforward? I don’t know the exact details of the agreement but one thing is clear, it cannot be realistically implemented since no government is willing to implement it since 2009.

Hopefully, FG and ASUU will sit down and renegotiate the agreement and come up with something more realistic. Most importantly, ASUU must drop their insistence on UTAS and join other public servants who are already on IPPIS. They can’t be treated differently from the rest of us.

You have a point there.

One thing I am sure of, should UTAS be adopted, just get ready for the biggest disruption in the Civil Service because every union will just come up with their own payment platforms.

Nobody is talking about SSANU and NASU at the moment but even they themselves have already come up with their own payment platform they call U3PS.

There is a rumour that ASUU recently negotiated for a 180% increment in their salaries and 10% increment in the salaries of Non teaching staff of the universities.

If such an agreement is put in place, the problems such as the internal fighting and animosity such a gaping wage disparity will breed in the university systems is also another huge problem to be considered.

I listened to one of these Civil Service directors yesterday on Channels. According to him, ASUU should bring their grieviances about IPPIS to them so that they can see how it can be integrated into the IPPIS platform rather than wholly adopting UTAS.

I wonder why that is so impossible for ASUU to do.

1 Like

Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Voldoz: 8:48am On Jul 29, 2022
Cause they are frauds, you can't tell me IPPIS can't be modified it's a software so it can be worked upon and moreover that 2 years statement ASUU president made just made me hate the union for crying out loud the Labour started a protest to speed things up and there is ASUU president saying two years is not much, I was this guys are not serious.

Mind you those engineering the strikes are not feeling anything I just pity for those junior lecturers those are the ones their kids are in Public institution as for the senior lecturers and professors their children are in private universities or are abroad so they are not affected that's why they can hold up the strike for long.

1 Like

Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by dragunov: 1:58pm On Jul 29, 2022
seunmsg:

You better go and join academics so you can also get paid from different Universities. Bad belle dey worry you. Why should lecturers be treated like "auditors" and secondary school teachers?
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2022
donbrowser:

IPPIS has a lot of flaws such as inconsistency in disbursement and payment errors. Secondly lecturers do not only receive salaries, arrears and leave allowance like other civil servants. There's sabbatical, research funds etc but these are not captured in IPPIS which is programmed for civil servants. Hence ASUU requests that these should be captured or UTAS should be adopted.

ASUU will never settle for IPPIS unless FG upgrades but I understand the FG fear is other Union would come up with their payment platforms too if ASUU succeeds but they (FG) need to do the right thing. All benefits must be captured and payed.

This same IPPIS is the channel which the Army, Navy, police, transport, and other civil servants use in receiving payments.

Do you see them going on strike every now and then?

Nobody is enjoying the government. ASUU should stop behaving like they have two heads.

1 Like

Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 29, 2022
dragunov:

You better go and join academics so you can also get paid from different Universities. Bad belle dey worry you. Why should lecturers be treated like "auditors" and secondary school teachers?

Oga lecturer!

Wehdon ooooooooo!

Because you are teaching advance classes that makes you better than all the other sector in the nation.

Or you want to tell me that you are better than people in the military who are losing their lives protecting this country.

Recently a cousin of mine who works in the Army was killed by Boko Haram members. He was getting paid through the same IPPIs that you are fighting against.

Are you better than those fighting for their lives. Do also recall that the families of those working in the military are never safe.

If you people do not call off the strike next month, it will never be well with all of you supporting this strike, and your generations, and your generations to come.
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by donbrowser(m): 11:27pm On Jul 29, 2022
Queensee:

This same IPPIS is the channel which the Army, Navy, police, transport, and other civil servants use in receiving payments.

Do you see them going on strike every now and then?

Nobody is enjoying the government. ASUU should stop behaving like they have two heads.

I thought you would mention politicians too. Every sector mention above are structured to receive just salary, arrears and leave allowance.

FG should make provision for other benefits of lecturers available in IPPIS. They should also pay senators through IPPIS.
Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 29, 2022
donbrowser:

I thought you would mention politicians too. Every sector mention above are structured to receive just salary, arrears and leave allowance.

FG should make provision for other benefits of lecturers available in IPPIS. They should also pay senators through IPPIS.

The politicians are the government. They get to choose how they get paid.

You don't get to decide their payment platform, since you are not the one paying them. THEY ARE THE ONES PAYING YOU FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

And I believe you understood all of these before you signed up for the job. Nobody put a knife around your neck, and told you to choose a lecturer job.

The bitter truth is that there is no happy civil servant. Nobody is happy with IPPIS, and all of the deductions. But do not expect FG to give you your own payment platform.

Forget about the useless agreement that was signed. If the agreement made sense, it will have been implemented long time ago

If anyone deserves a seperate payment platform, it will be those working in the military who risk their life's, their family life's every day.

Wearing their military uniform alone makes them a target. Remember the case of the couple who was killed few months back. There are also notable examples.

In other words, make una rest

Re: How Many Students Can Identify What ASUU Demands Are?? by donbrowser(m): 11:48pm On Jul 29, 2022
Queensee:

The politicians are the government. They get to choose how they get paid.

You don't get to decide their payment platform, since you are not the one paying them. THEY ARE THE ONES PAYING YOU FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

And I believe you understood all of these before you signed up for the job. Nobody put a knife around your neck, and told you to choose a lecturer job.

The bitter truth is that there is no happy civil servant. Nobody is happy with IPPIS, and all of the deductions. But do not expect FG to give you your own payment platform.

Forget about the useless agreement that was signed. If the agreement made sense, it will have been implemented long time ago

If anyone deserves a seperate payment platform, it will be those working in the military who risk their life's, their family life's every day.

Wearing their military uniform alone makes them a target. Remember the case of the couple who was killed few months back. There are also notable examples.

In other words, make una rest

grin grin

PBUY

(1) (Reply)

Can Turnitin Detect Youtube Videos? / Meet Lady Who Went From Housemaid To University Graduate / What Are Those Things You Wished You Did Differently In Life ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.