Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,448 members, 7,819,658 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom (670 Views)

Nevada Judge Attacked By Defendant During Sentencing In Vegas Courtroom Scene / How Chidinma Ojukwu Catwalked Into Courtroom Today (VIDEO) / 17-Year-Old Boy Released From Correctional Centre By Kogi Chief Judge (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by BadNews: 12:12pm On Jul 27, 2022
Update From . COM

The Chief Judge of Akwa Ibom State, Ekaette Obot, has sent a human rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, to prison.

Mr Effiong who is handling a case for his client before Justice Obot’s court in Uyo disclosed this in a message he posted on his WhatsApp status around 10:40 a.m. on Wednesday.

“I have been sent to Uyo prison by the Chief Judge of Akwa Ibom State, Justice Ekaette Obot, for one month for defending Leo Ekpenyong in a libel suit filed by Governor Udom Emmanuel,” Mr Effiong said in the WhatsApp message.

The lawyer, who is based in Lagos, flew into Uyo for the case.

Another lawyer in Uyo confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that the judge pronounced the prison sentence against Mr Effiong.

Mr Effiong later posted details of the incident on his Twitter page.

“The Chief Judge of Akwa Akwa Ibom ordered a Premium Times reporter to leave the court. I said my lord, we were thinking that since the proceeding is public, that members of the public should be allowed to observe the proceeding. My Lord asked me to proceed with cross examination,” he wrote.

“I will be going to the Uyo Correctional Centre now. I have not done anything. I wasn’t even opportunity to say anything before the “conviction”. Two lawyers in court appealed to the Hon. Chief Judge but my Lord insisted that I must be jailed.”

Justice Obot in previous proceedings had ordered court officials to temporarily seize phones from reporters and others in the courtroom, apparently to prevent the proceedings from being recorded secretly.

She had threatened to send Mr Effiong to prison.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/545253-breaking-judge-sends-human-rights-lawyer-inibehe-effiong-to-prison.html

Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Zonefree(m): 12:14pm On Jul 27, 2022
In my opinion, lawyers defending murderers should also serve 5% of the sentences. If a person is sentenced 100 years for manslaughter, the lawyer that tried defending him should help him and serve 5 years of the 100 years.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by BadNews: 12:15pm On Jul 27, 2022
Zonefree:

See More Photos Via www.. Com
Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Poppia: 12:15pm On Jul 27, 2022
Naija my country
Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by fullnetwork: 12:16pm On Jul 27, 2022
Corruption everywhere
Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Antoeni(m): 12:20pm On Jul 27, 2022
Is it the governor that sent him to jail? Must he go to court and misbehave? Is the judge his mate? It s very much in Order he Should Enjoy his Stay While it Last

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Abitolola: 12:21pm On Jul 27, 2022
She's been paid, that's why all the elaborate drama.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Commentor: 12:22pm On Jul 27, 2022
grin

Naija.

She may not even be reprimanded talk less of being debarred.
Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Antoeni(m): 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2022
These are Some of The Prices You Pay as Human Right Lawyers or Activist in Nigeria,
So Enjoy your One Month While it Last

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by gasparpisciotta: 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2022
Justice Ekaette Obot sends inibehe effiong her Akwa Ibom brother to prison...wonderful

Meanwhile, Inibehe Effiong is the new human rights lawyer kid on the block

Fiery, Assertive and intelligent
Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by Waakanda: 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2022
Interesting
Re: BREAKING: Chief Judge Sends Lawyer To Prison From Courtroom by achillesfoot(m): 5:59pm On Jul 27, 2022
A judge cannot send a lawyer to jail.. The proper sentence should be " He was held in contempt" Despite several warnings from the judge, he kept repeating a particular act, he can be held in contempt which is same as spending days, weeks in a police cell not jail..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Viral Video Of Ex-militant Leader, Asari Dokubo, That Has Got People Talking / FCCPC Director Dies During Scuffle With Female Staff / !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.