Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,327 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour (1740 Views)

A Drive Through Tinapa Resort In Calabar(2022 Review) What Exactly Happened? / New Terminal Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport Commissioned By Buhari / The Moment Emirates Arrives Abuja International Airport New Terminal (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2022
So, apparently there is a new terminal at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos which was inaugurated earlier this year but has been under utilized so far with just one Nigeria major airline carrier operating from the base.

The new Terminal of the Lagos Murtala Muhammed International Airport Terminal 2 was commissioned 22nd March, 2022 by President Muhammed Buhari and is one of the five terminals airport project being built by the administration included in a bilateral arrangement between the Federal Government and the People’s Republic of China.

Recently, I had the opportunity of traveling through

this new terminal and I was surprised at how much of a big space that was not put into full use this project was.

Seun Lalasticlala justwise Disguy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIHfLcwx5w

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2022
By just a glance at the check in counters one can see that only one airline is operating at the counters for now which is Airpeace and unarguably the major Nigeria operating carrier airline for now. Airpeace operates from this terminal flying to major African cities like Johannesburg, Accra, Freetown, Doula and then to Middle-East Dubai.

I took a tour around the facilities and what caught my attention was the artworks on the wall which is actually beautiful but aside that this looks just much like a big underutilized space with so many empty counters, not much attraction yet like shops to get items while at the airport and the place was just so cold.

At a point I was shivering from the cold and had to locate a warm part of the building to stay while I wait for my delayed flight. I noticed just a pharmacy shop and one other one at extreme ends from each other. I even tried to get an item from the pharmacy but there was no one available to attend to me as I was told they were not yet open and that was around 8am.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2022
I also checked out the wash area and noticed the commendable option for ‘abled’ people available.

The facility is said to be built on a landmass of approximately 56,000 metres with 66 check-in counters and has the capacity to process 14 million passengers annually. Interesting, but then why do we have just one airline operating there at the moment?

Well, according to my findings and articles online the terminal is said to have a design error from the ontset and the inauguration was delayed at a time to correct the error and even after that the terminal still doesn't have the apron space to accommodate widebody aircraft. This is the reason why major world airline carriers such as the British Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Qatar Airways, United airline etc. are refusing to move their big body aircrafts such as the Boeing 787, Airbus A380 and Dreamliner, 777, 747 to this terminal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 2:09pm On Jul 27, 2022
The airport has two food courts, four premium lounges, 22 guest rooms, a spa, 16 airline ticketing offices, visa on arrival, port health facility, a praying area, and more than 3,000 square metres of duty-free space.

After going through the check in protocols and custom, I had to wait for my flight which has been further delayed and so I had more time to go around the Airport and look around once again. While going around I went to the restaurant available at the food court area and had a cup of tea due to the cold. The restaurant offers basic Nigeria food and snacks. I also noticed a children play area close to the restaurant which was still covered up in wraps and definitely has not been put to use. The restaurant has an onscreen TV where you can see your flight scheduled times and also an over-head speaker where you can listen to the flight scheduled being called out so you don't have to worry about missing out vital information while you eat.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 2:11pm On Jul 27, 2022
Overall, I feel this new terminal need to be looked into and whatever it is that needs to be done to accommodate and attract other airlines to start operating here needs to be put in place. Otherwise, we might just be looking at another half abandoned project on the way.

Have you been at this new terminal? what do you think? kindly share...Thanks.

You can also read up the Blog post here

https://www.travelwithdemmy.com/2022/07/lagos-international-airport-new.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by AlphaTaikun: 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2022
Bbsharon:
By just a glance at the check in counters one can see that only one airline is operating at the counters for now which is Airpeace and unarguably the major Nigeria operating carrier airline for now. Airpeace operates from this terminal flying to major African cities like Johannesburg, Accra, Freetown, Doula and then to Middle-East Dubai.

I took a tour around the facilities and what caught my attention was the artworks on the wall which is actually beautiful but aside that this looks just much like a big underutilized space with so many empty counters, not much attraction yet like shops to get items while at the airport and the place was just so cold.

At a point I was shivering from the cold and had to locate a warm part of the building to stay while I wait for my delayed flight. I noticed just a pharmacy shop and one other one at extreme ends from each other. I even tried to get an item from the pharmacy but there was no one available to attend to me as I was told they were not yet open and that was around 8am.

Dami, I just watched the video review of MMIA Terminal 2. It was another insightful trip.

You and @Mstravelindiva always go into deeper details with your travel reviews... Paying attention to little details.

After so much was pumped into this project... I still can't fathom how the design flaws came about. This kind of huge project usually has Project Managers to prevent design flaws and more.

Ciao. wink

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 10:24pm On Jul 28, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Dami, I just watched the video review of MMIA Terminal 2. It was another insightful trip.

You and @Mstravelindiva always go into deeper details with your travel reviews... Paying attention to little details.

After so much was pumped into this project... I still can't fathom how the design flaws came about. This kind of huge project usually has Project Managers to prevent design flaws and more.

Ciao. wink
Thanks for the compliment…It’s just so sad that such avoidable error was made on such huge project. I hope they get around it and make it work and live it’s purpose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Mstravelindiva: 11:22pm On Jul 31, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Ciao. wink

Many thanks for the compliment! Greatly appreciate it!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by lionlee216(m): 3:22am On Aug 01, 2022
Bbsharon:
I also checked out the wash area and noticed the commendable option for ‘abled’ people available.

The facility is said to be built on a landmass of approximately 56,000 metres with 66 check-in counters and has This is the reason why major world airline carriers such as the British Airways, Ethiopian Airlines, Qatar Airways, United airline etc. are refusing to move their big body aircrafts such as the Boeing 787, Airbus A380 and Dreamliner, 777, 747 to this terminal.

This will be first time I'm hearing about Airbus 380 in Nigeria. When did it start flying into Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 1:18pm On Aug 01, 2022
lionlee216:

This will be first time I'm hearing about Airbus 380 in Nigeria. When did it start flying into Nigeria?

I actually put in the aircraft I know that are operated by those Airlines. So, most likely they could be operating with those bigger kind of aircrafts in the old terminal and are unable to do so in this new terminal.

1 Like

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by AlphaTaikun: 2:41pm On Aug 03, 2022
Mstravelindiva:

Many thanks for the compliment! Greatly appreciate it!
You're welcome Mstravelindiva. smiley
Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by AlphaTaikun: 2:43pm On Aug 03, 2022
Bbsharon:
So, apparently there is a new terminal at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos which was inaugurated earlier this year but has been under utilized so far with just one Nigeria major airline carrier operating from the base.

The new Terminal of the Lagos Murtala Muhammed International Airport Terminal 2 was commissioned 22nd March, 2022 by President Muhammed Buhari and is one of the five terminals airport project being built by the administration included in a bilateral arrangement between the Federal Government and the People’s Republic of China.

Recently, I had the opportunity of traveling through this new terminal and I was surprised at how much of a big space that was not put into full use this project was.

Seun Lalasticlala justwise Disguy, Mynd44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIHfLcwx5w

'Dami, the first landing of the Airbus A380 at the then newly-constructed Terminal 3 of Kotoka International Airport (KIA), Accra will interest you. Flights of jumbo jets into and out of MMIA Terminal 2, Ikeja, Lagos ought to be happening on the regular as well.

The First A380 lands in Accra | Emirates Airline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McPg1lE-MnY
Emirates · 8 Oct 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by AlphaTaikun: 2:48pm On Aug 03, 2022
lionlee216:

Below is an ANIMATED SIMULATION of a Lufthansa Airbus 380 taking off from Lagos, Nigeria.

ANIMATED: Lufthansa Airbus A380 861 Takeoff Lagos Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QurYaCS2k
Flight Birds042 · 11 Oct 2021

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by lionlee216(m): 3:39pm On Aug 03, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Below is an ANIMATED SIMULATION of a Lufthansa Airbus 380 taking off from Lagos, Nigeria.

ANIMATED: Lufthansa Airbus A380 861 Takeoff Lagos Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QurYaCS2k
Flight Birds042 · 11 Oct 2021

Thank you. This is awesome to watch. So why can't A380 fly into nigeria? Is it because we don't have a jet bridge for it or our runaway is not situable for it?

1 Like

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by AlphaTaikun: 4:21pm On Aug 03, 2022
lionlee216:

Thank you. This is awesome to watch. So why can't A380 fly into nigeria? Is it because we don't have a jet bridge for it or our runaway is not situable for it?

@lionlee216, You're welcome. smiley

The Airbus A380 [which is the biggest passenger plane in the world] can definitely land or fly into MMIA, Ikeja, Lagos and the Abuja International Airports. The Anambra Cargo Airport can also take jumbo jets such as the Boeing 747 and Airbus A380 conveniently because of the long runways.

The problem is that the airport terminals do NOT have the space or facilities for disembarking about 500 passengers on the Airbus A380 at once! The A380 superjumbo is gradually being phased out by several big airlines though because of high cost of maintainance especially in the wake of the pandemic. The A380 is usually only viable on long-distance routes.

Source: => https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/qatar-airways-a380-retirement/index.html

All the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by lionlee216(m): 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2022
I think some Nigerian airlines should join Star Alliance though

I bet you can't connect those 2 terminals at lagos. Those people don't think about future. A very clueless country

1 Like

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Leun: 7:07am On Aug 04, 2022
lionlee216:
I think some Nigerian airlines should join Star Alliance though

I bet you can't connect those 2 terminals at lagos. Those people don't think about future. A very clueless country

Last time I check there was a path connecting both terminals but I can't say if its only for VIP or workers.

1 Like

Re: Traveling through Lagos International Airport New Terminal|2022 Review And Tour by Bbsharon(f): 1:52pm On Aug 04, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

'Dami, the first landing of the Airbus A380 at the then newly-constructed Terminal 3 of Kotoka International Airport (KIA), Accra will interest you. Flights of jumbo jets into and out of MMIA Terminal 2, Ikeja, Lagos ought to be happening on the regular as well.

The First A380 lands in Accra | Emirates Airline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McPg1lE-MnY
Emirates · 8 Oct 2018

Interesting, I will check this out

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Which City/town For A Nigerian To Live In The U.s / How God Used Nairaland To Help Me Score Band 7 In IELTS!!! / Life After NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.