Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them (4593 Views)

Niger Delta Militants Attack Shell Facility, Kill Guard / Fear Of Possible Attack: Shell Shuts Down Flow Stations In Bayelsa / Fear Of Attack: Shell Shuts Station In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 01, 2011
[size=20pt]Barrels of trouble[/size]

THERE is anger among the Ndokwa, Isoko, Ijaw, Urhobo and Itsekiri peoples in Delta State against Shell Petroleum Development Company, SDPC, over recent sales of onshore blocs – Oil Mining Leases, (OML) 30, 34, 40, 42 with reserves of two billion barrels, by the Anglo-Dutch oil conglomerate.

The people are livid that the oil mining leases were sold without their consent. In June, some land owners in OML 30 in Isokoland, stormed the oil facility and beat up SPDC officials, who they chased away from the flow station.

The company invited the police who arrested the national president of the Isoko National Youths, Ogaga Egbuwoku and other Oleh youths. The arrest of the youth leaders, who had since been released, did not humidify the people, as they launched another attack on the company, destroying property, including its vehicles.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/fury-over-sales-of-omls-in-delta/
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by ektbear: 1:52am On Aug 02, 2011
So the oil companies are not allowed to sell off their interests w/o coordinating with the indigenous communities? I guess the indigenous communities want the first crack at buying?

Anyway, interesting
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 1:59am On Aug 02, 2011
It's your land and the federal govt didn't consult you before selling it to oil companies,  Who made those deals? So the FG can choose to sell Lagos off like they gave off bakassi without the natives' consent and people will be happy?

They should chase all the oil workers away back to Europe,  We don't need oil to survive,  oil extraction for local use only, no more exports and nonsense,  Leave!!
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by ektbear: 2:03am On Aug 02, 2011
But it is not the foreign oil companies which represent the interest of the locals. It is NNPC, right?

Even if NNPC is handed over today to the indigenous oil communities (rather than controlled by the FG), won't you still respect agreements previously made, use the expertise of the foreign oil companies, and most importantly give them the right to exit and sell off their interest if they like to the highest qualified bidder?
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Beaf: 2:04am On Aug 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

So the oil companies are not allowed to sell off their interests w/o coordinating with the indigenous communities? I guess the indigenous communities want the first crack at buying?

Anyway, interesting

Lol! The "google" Nigerian reaching the usual uninformed conclusion!

The indigenous communities do not want "first crack." The lands were siezed without compensation by the FG, google the 1978 Land Use Act and Petroleum Decree of 1969 and learn about the enslavement of Nigerian by Nigerians in modern times.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by ektbear: 2:18am On Aug 02, 2011
There weren't any conclusions made. . . both were questions.

I guess you've attempted to answer the second question.

So let's follow through your reasoning. As you said, the lands were seized by the FG. So Shell is not the one selling off the oil community's land. So why exactly are they opposed to Shell selling off its interest freely? It isn't selling off the land, since it doesn't own it. Instead it negotiated a deal with the FG/NNPC to share in the oil proceedings of the land. This right is what it is selling off, not the land itself.

So if they want to recover their right to the land, they'll need to recover it from the FG/NNPC, not from Shell.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by efisher(m): 5:35am On Aug 02, 2011
NNPC controls about 55% of SPDC. Shell is not exactly the one making all the decisions here. Those companies buying the OMLs belong to people like Mike Adenuga, some former Shell and NNPC staff, some politicians and surprise, surprise; some ex-militants like Mr. T! shocked Shell is only protecting its investment and "playing along" with those running the show. Shine your eyes!
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 02, 2011
efisher:

NNPC controls about 55% of SPDC. Shell is not exactly the one making all the decisions here. Those companies buying the OMLs belong to people like Mike Adenuga, some former Shell and NNPC staff, some politicians and surprise, surprise; some ex-militants like Mr. T! shocked Shell is only protecting its investment and "playing along" with those running the show. Shine your eyes!
Very correct
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by otokx(m): 1:31pm On Aug 02, 2011
SHELL as usual wants to cause more problem and leave the place in chaos; what is so hard in selling to the owners of the land provided they have the financial and technical capabilities.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 02, 2011
otokx:

SHELL as usual wants to cause more problem and leave the place in chaos; what is so hard in[b] selling to the owners of the land[/b] provided they have the financial and technical capabilities.
Who dash monkey banana grin grin grin grin
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by debosky(m): 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
It all depends on the terms of operation in the area - if there is a requirement for consultation with the local community before leases change hands, then they have a point.

It is not unreasonable to expect a community to have a say in a new owner coming to work in their backyard. The rage is misdirected though - they should have gone after the NNPC/DPR folk who must approve any such sale before it can proceed.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 02, 2011
debosky:

It all depends on the terms of operation in the area - if there is a requirement for consultation with the local community before leases change hands, then they have a point.

It is not unreasonable to expect a community to have a say in a new owner coming to work in their backyard. The rage is misdirected though - they should have gone after the NNPC/DPR folk who must approve any such sale before it can proceed.
Those people are savages that act before they think
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Bawss1(m): 2:14pm On Aug 02, 2011
These indigenes with their compensation mentality.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 02, 2011
^^^
No mind them jor, its just their selfishness. Very irritating people wen you come in direct contact. Greed is written all over them and you can see the reason the niger delta is not developed
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 02, 2011
This is good and a wake up call to other areas.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Ibime(m): 2:39pm On Aug 02, 2011
Very stupid people on this thread. There is no such thing as compensation mentality. A man whose land was stolen will not rest till he gets it back. Justice delayed shouldn't be justice denied. It matters not that the grievous act was commited 42 years ago, it is still grievous till the owner of the land gets it back. The Isokos can burn down the whole facility and still be justified in their actions.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ibime:

Very silly people on this thread. There is no such thing as compensation mentality. A man whose land was stolen will not rest till he gets it back. Justice delayed shouldn't be justice denied. It matters not that the grievous act was commited 42 years ago, it is still grievous till the owner of the land gets it back. The Isokos can burn down the whole facility and still be justified in their actions.
Please explain how the land was stolen and how beating up or even burning up the facility is justified?
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by mitje(m): 2:50pm On Aug 02, 2011
@blink I wld av preffered dat u luk @ d issue holistically as well as pragmatically instead of ranting curses nd abuses. U may have a point bt do u knw dat a memorandum of understanding exists between shell and their host communities regarding issues like this? Conduct your research well plzzzz,
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by dayokanu(m): 2:55pm On Aug 02, 2011
Can they register their grievances with the FG?

Cos I think Shell got the land legally from the FG
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 02, 2011
mitje:

@blink I wld av preffered dat u luk @ d issue holistically as well as pragmatically instead of ranting curses nd abuses. U may have a point bt do u knw dat a memorandum of understanding exists between shell and their host communities regarding issues like this? Conduct your research well plzzzz,
I have my own view, these people are dubious and feel they should have more than they are entitled to. Please prove me wrong, if there's a breached MoU, does it give them the right to attack physically? What happened to the courts? If shell should retaliate and match brute force for brute force, will they not cry that they're being marginalized?
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by mihis: 3:32pm On Aug 02, 2011
In the first place, attacking the oil workers is taking the law into your hands. What they need to do is to forward their complains to the federal government
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Doyean: 3:35pm On Aug 02, 2011
NA WA O WHAT DO YOU CALL THIS ,IS IT INJUSTICE  ?,  DELTIANS

BOKO HARAM, ?

MILITANTS, ?

NIGERIANS SEARCH YOUR CONSCIENCE AND BE HONEST ON JUDGEMENT PASSING
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by ahf(m): 3:36pm On Aug 02, 2011
SPDC hasn't done too well in the region. However note that SPDC is owned 55% by NNPC, decisions are only reached if approved
by this majority shareholder.

All positive and negative actions of the joint venture are a joint responsibility of all the partners. We, Nigerians are the failure ourselves.
We just refuse to do any thing properly.

SPDC has decided to gradually exit the country, they have decided to hand over the fields to Nigerians, which the NNPC (& co.)
are trying to selfishly share amongst connected "big wigs".

I cant wait for the scenario where there would be no multinational to blame for blaa blaa blaaa. Then a new story is expected,
I think the people of the region better start getting their acts together to address issues, rather than sentimental attacks on lives and properties.

Believe me, when Nigerian Big wigs control these fields, they would do as they like, u would shout as you like and nothing would change.
Amnesty International,Green peace etc would care less when no multinational operates there. All this global noise, is because the multinationals
have a global standard (to which they have not really operated in Nigeria) to protect.

We will be left to languish in the "chaos" called NIGERIA.

P.S. Remember Macondo well blowout in USA,
With indigenous Nigerian firms, I can only expected to see this sort of disasters (God forbid), due to cutting of corners etc.

I heard (unconfirmed) that a rig is burning somewhere in Owerrri. hmmmm. Time will tell, GOD DEY !!!
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Ibime(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2011
dayokanu:

Can they register their grievances with the FG?

Cos I think Shell got the land legally from the FG

And the FG got the land illegally from the people.

Last, last, Shell should be charged for "handling stolen goods"

And oh, Shell were on ground when FG stole the land from the people and supported it.

Wise up African Peter Crouch!

blink182:

Please explain how the land was stolen and how beating up or even burning up the facility is justified?

Chairman, just face front. If what Beaf has told you about the illegal Petroleum and Land Acts isn't enough for you, then kick rocks.

These acts state that any land without paper title is owned by Fed Gov and can be taken without recompense, a cultural colo-mentality since our forefathers never used paper nor gave us paper title.

Secondly, the acts state that anyone can be kicked out of their ancestral farmlands for no recompense if oil is found therein. The case of the Ogoni woman who was killed by Shell operatives for refusing to leave her farm (for which she wasnt paid a dime) was what kicked off the protests in Ogoniland under Saro-Wiwa.

Finally, these acts were made law by military junta - an illegal body.

Beaf:

Lol! The "google" Nigerian reaching the usual uninformed conclusion!

How do we test a "google" Nigerian. Lets quiz him if he knows how to speak pidgin or any local dialect. Omo dey always type like pesin wey never land foot for bongo before.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ibime:

And the FG got the land illegally from the people.

Last, last, Shell should be charged for "handling stolen goods"

And oh, Shell were on ground when FG stole the land from the people and supported it.

Wise up African Peter Crouch!

Chairman, just face front. If what Beaf has told you about the illegal Petroleum and Land Acts isn't enough for you, then kick rocks.

How do we test a "google" Nigerian. Lets quiz him if he knows how to speak pidgin or any local dialect. Omo dey always type like pesin wey never land foot for bongo before.
There is no need to hide under foul language, I didn't ask beaf the question. Just say you do not know or you are too lazy to reply. No fight
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by kpogede77: 4:01pm On Aug 02, 2011
@Blink182

God will punish you for  that statement, it is unfortunate that this is a faceless forum otherwise people like you are not suppose to come to Niger delta .Even in the bible the issue of land is a very serious issue that is  why the nation of Israel is fighting to reclaim their land till today. If your father’s farm has oil and this kind of thing is happening to him you will kill anybody who is depriving your father of the benefit. Don’t comment on any of our issue if you don’t have anything meaningful to contribute. Ekpa like you
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by blank(f): 4:04pm On Aug 02, 2011
WHAT THE HELL DOES "HUMIDIFY" MEAN?
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Bawss1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ibime:

Very silly people on this thread. There is no such thing as compensation mentality. A man whose land was stolen will not rest till he gets it back. Justice delayed shouldn't be justice denied. It matters not that the grievous act was commited 42 years ago, it is still grievous till the owner of the land gets it back. The Isokos can burn down the whole facility and still be justified in their actions.

By extension religious extremist can blow up the whole country and still be justified in their actions right? Brilliant logic.

Anyways I’m not a newbie here on NL and I know how militant apologists can get whenever these issues are brought up. Indigenes are completely innocent victims whose birthright is continuously stolen from them by the mean and evil oil firms. That their attacks on the oil firms is oftentimes misplaced and is line with the display of savagery many here like to accuse northerners of does not come to question. What is it they want us to call them again, Freedom fighters? Revolutionaries? Yeah right.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ibime:

These acts state that any land without paper title is owned by Fed Gov and can be taken without recompense, a cultural colo-mentality since our forefathers never used paper nor gave us paper title.

Secondly, the acts state that anyone can be kicked out of their ancestral farmlands for no recompense if oil is found therein. The case of the Ogoni woman who was killed by Shell operatives for refusing to leave her farm (for which she wasnt paid a dime) was what kicked off the protests in Ogoniland under Saro-Wiwa.

Very pathetic situation

kpogede77:

@Blink182

God will punish you for  that statement, it is unfortunate that this is a faceless forum otherwise people like you are not suppose to come to Niger delta .Even in the bible the issue of land is a very serious issue that is  why the nation of Israel is fighting to reclaim their land till today. If your father’s farm has oil and this kind of thing is happening to him you will kill anybody who is depriving your father of the benefit. Don’t comment on any of our issue if you don’t have anything meaningful to contribute. Ekpa like you

Lol, oshare, jome vwe whi otor, me vovwe dio otu, wo yo obo me ta kevwe na. Ofowi odi ota kakaka. Ufuoma kugbe eguono aware guonor. Me me ra grin grin grin grin grin  the fight is happening in my back yard but I refuse to support violence and only dialogue will help us achieve anything if at all.
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Ibime(m): 4:10pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ibime:

Secondly, the acts state that anyone can be kicked out of their ancestral farmlands (whether titled or not) for no recompense if oil is found therein. The case of the Ogoni woman who was killed by Shell operatives for refusing to leave her farm (for which she wasnt paid a dime) was what kicked off the protests in Ogoniland under Saro-Wiwa.

Lemme add to this by stating the greatest irony . . .

. . . which is that the same man (Obasanjo) who wrote these laws stating that "the land is not yours if FG wants it", now takes the same land and sells the title to private individuals as "oil blocks".

i.e:

Your title to the land means nothing if you own the land. . . but if it's a land that Fed Govt seized then sold to you, your title means everything.

Hence one man's land becomes another man's "oil block". . . . meanwhile all na still land.

Its called robbing Asari to pay Hameed.  grin

Bawss1:

By extension religious extremist can blow up the whole country and still be justified in their actions right. Brilliant logic.

The only person who draws such extension is one with undeveloped thinking faculty. A man protecting his property has no similarity with a man trying to force his religious belief on others.

We are just talking of protecting one's personal property, not even community property like streams, rivers, forests and other ecological areas. Those ones sef is enough reason to burn down the facility. tongue
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 02, 2011
Bawss1:

By extension religious extremist can blow up the whole country and still be justified in their actions right. Brilliant logic.

Anyways I’m not a newbie here on NL and I know how militant apologists can get whenever these issues are brought up. Indigenes are completely innocent victims whose birthright is continuously stolen from them by the mean and evil oil firms. That their attacks on the oil firms is oftentimes misplaced and is line with the display of savagery many here like to accuse northerners of does not come to question. What is it they want us to call them again, Freedom fighters? Revolutionaries? Yeah right
Thank you jor

Ibime:

Lemme add to this by stating the greatest irony . . .

. . . which is that the same man (Obasanjo) who wrote these laws stating that "the land is not yours if FG wants it", now takes the same land and sells the title to private individuals as "oil blocks".

i.e:

Your title to the land means nothing if you own the land. . . but if it's a land that Fed Govt seized then sold to you, your title means everything.

Hence one man's land becomes another man's "oil block". . . . meanwhile all na still land.

Its called robbing Asari to pay Hameed.  grin

Is it not the same obasanjo that said leaders should be left in peace after they are through with their term not withstanding how they ruled
Re: Deltans Attack Shell For Selling OMLs And Not Consulting Them by Catchfire1: 4:33pm On Aug 02, 2011
blank:

WHAT THE HELL DOES "HUMIDIFY" MEAN?
cheesy grin

HUMIDIFY: Coined from the Greek word Humifus which means to em, to humidify something or someone. undecided

Sentence use:

The arrest of the youth leaders, who had since been released, did not humifus humidify the people, as they launched another attack on the company, destroying property, including its vehicles.

Source: Google

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity In Ibadan / Dilapidated Alaba Int'l Market Road Ojo Lagos [PHOTOS] / We Are Ready For War, If Buhari Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.