Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings (2307 Views)

US House Of Reps Votes To Ban TikTok in US / Israel Ignored Repeated Warnings Of ‘Something Big’- Egypt Intelligence Official / US Capitol: Police Arrest Man Who Sat On House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi's Desk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 5:51pm On Aug 01, 2022
Heathrow44:

oh really and u think UK, France, Germany, Italy, NATO as a whole would sit idly and watch right? Whatever actions China deems fit to explore let it not involve shooting down a US military asset or An American civilian
don't mind him, China will never engage in such foolish and reckless action

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 01, 2022
It is left for Joe Biden as the POTUS and Commander of the US military might to call Pelosi to order, she's in line of presidential succession and as such is guaranteed protection but definitely not on the alter of US National security, the Security of the US mainland Should be respected at all times, US can't and I repeat Can't afford to go to War because of one stupid old woman that won't be at the frontlines when shit hits the fan, But if she decides to go, I bet my left yansh, China won't do anything that won't be seen as a direct threat although we expect some fireballs here and there to save face

2 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2022
Heathrow44:
It is left for Joe Biden as the POTUS and Commander of the US military might to call Pelosi to order, she's in line of presidential succession and as such is guaranteed protection but definitely not on the alter of US National security, the Security of the US mainland Should be respected at all times, US can't and I repeat Can't afford to go to War because of one stupid old woman that won't be at the frontlines when shit hits the fan, But if she decides to go, I bet my left yansh, China won't do anything that won't be seen as a direct threat although we expect some fireballs here and there to save face
I think US air force is capable of protecting her

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:

why risk US marines lives on such a visit that doesn't really mean anything, I know its a show of solidarity to Taiwan that US would be responsive when in war with China but what's the end goal? US has wasted a lot of military assets in Ukraine with lots of it getting into the Russian hands, and they want to fight for Taiwan, Biden has made it absolutely clear that US would never send US marines on foreign missions , US pulled out of Afghanistan to enter war in Taiwan, Russia is just watching to test US capabilities, US shouldn't take d bait, this is clearly how world War starts

3 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by TylerDurden: 6:10pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:

Elaborate on your wishful thinking please.
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by TylerDurden: 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2022
Heathrow44:

The old hag isn't even on the plane.

But one thing is sure, the PLA will never let her plane land on Taiwan.
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Toktee(m): 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
(CNN) US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to visit Taiwan as part of her tour of Asia, according to a senior Taiwanese government official and a US official, despite warnings from Biden administration officials, who are worried about China's response to such a high-profile visit.

The stop -- the first for a US House speaker in 25 years -- is not currently on Pelosi's public itinerary and comes at a time when US-China relations are already at a low point.

The Taiwanese official added that she is expected to stay in Taiwan overnight. It is unclear when exactly Pelosi will land in Taipei.

The US official added that Defense Department officials are working around the clock on monitoring any Chinese movements in the region and securing a plan to keep her safe.

During a regular foreign ministry briefing Monday, China warned against the "egregious political impact" of Pelosi's planned visit to the self-governing island that China claims as a part of its territory and reiterated that its military "won't sit by idly" if Beijing feels its "sovereignty and territorial integrity" is being threatened.

Warning from China

"We would like to tell the US once again that China is standing by, and the Chinese People's Liberation Army will never sit idly by. China will take resolute responses and strong countermeasures to defend its sovereignty and territorial integrity," Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told reporters, when asked about the fallout from Pelosi leading a congressional delegation to Taipei.

"As for what measures, if she dares to go, then let's wait and see," Zhao added.

Though China's military did not mention Taiwan, the People's Liberation Army's Eastern Theater Command said it would "bury incoming enemies" in a video posted online Monday showing off its weaponry and fighting tactics. "Firmly stand by and ready for the fighting command; Bury all incoming enemies," a message posted on Weibo said.

National Security Council coordinator for strategic communications John Kirby said Monday that the Biden administration will support Pelosi on a trip to Taiwan.

"We want to make sure that when she travels overseas, she can do so safely and securely and we're going to make sure of that. There is no reason for the Chinese rhetoric. There is no reason for any actions to be taken. It is not uncommon for congressional leaders to travel to Taiwan," Kirby told CNN's Brianna Keilar on "New Day."

"We shouldn't be as a country -- we shouldn't be intimidated by that rhetoric or those potential actions. This is an important trip for the speaker to be on and we're going to do whatever we can to support her," Kirby continued.

Asked if the US was prepared for fallout with China over the visit, Kirby said that "there is no change to our policy. No change to our focus on trying to keep a free and safe and open Indo-Pacific."

The issue of Taiwan remains one of the most contentious. President Joe Biden and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping discussed it at length in a two-hour-and-17-minute phone call on Thursday, as tensions mounted between Washington and Beijing.

"The question of Taiwan is the most sensitive, important core issue in China-US relations," said Chinese Ambassador to the US Qin Gang at the Aspen Security Forum in July.

While Biden has said publicly the US military did not believe it was a good time Pelosi to visit Taiwan, he has stopped short of telling her directly not to go, according to two sources.

Administration officials have worked over recent weeks to apprise the House speaker of the risks of visiting the democratic, self-governing island of 24 million residents, including in briefings from Pentagon and other administration officials. But Biden did not believe it was his place to tell her she should not go, and he has avoided commenting publicly about her trip since his initial statement on July 21.

Biden said last month that the US military opposed Pelosi visiting Taiwan, though since then has refused to elaborate on the warnings. The White House has said it is up to the House speaker where she travels.

Still, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin recently said he'd discussed a visit to Asia with Pelosi.

The administration takes extra care for Pelosi's security when she travels overseas because she is in the presidential line of succession.

Administration officials are concerned Pelosi's trip comes at a particularly tense moment, as Xi is expected to seek an unprecedented third term at the upcoming Chinese Communist Party congress. Chinese party officials are expected to begin laying the groundwork for that conference in the coming weeks, putting pressure on the leadership in Beijing to show strength.

Officials also believe the Chinese leadership doesn't completely grasp the political dynamics in the United States, leading to a misunderstanding over the significance of Pelosi's potential visit. The officials say China may be confusing Pelosi's visit with an official administration visit, since she and Biden are both Democrats. Administration officials are concerned that China doesn't separate Pelosi from Biden much, if at all.

Pelosi has long been a critic of the Chinese Communist Party. She has met with pro-democracy dissidents and the Dalai Lama -- the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader who remains a thorn in the side of the Chinese government. In 1991, Pelosi unfurled a black-and-white banner in Beijing's Tiananmen Square to commemorate victims of the 1989 massacre, which said, "To those who died for democracy." In recent years, she voiced support for the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

The Chinese embassy to the United States has objected to her expected trip, which was planned for April before Pelosi tested positive for Covid-19, urging members of Congress to tell the speaker not to make it.

"I would say there's been a full-court press from the Chinese embassy to discourage a trip to Taiwan," Washington Democratic Rep. Rick Larsen, the co-chair of Congress' US-China working group, told CNN. "I just don't think it's their business to tell us what we ought to be doing. That was my message back."

Liu Pengyu, spokesperson of the Chinese Embassy in the US, responded that his office is in "regular contact" with members of Congress, including Larsen.

"On the Taiwan question, we have made our stance loud and clear," Pengyu said. "The Embassy is making all our efforts to prevent the peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait and the stability of China-US relations being damaged by the potential visit of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Taiwan."

"We hope serious consequences could be avoided," he added. "This is in the common interests of both China and the US."

Many Democrats and Republicans in Congress said it was Pelosi's right to travel to Taiwan.

"It is Speaker Pelosi's decision alone on whether or not to travel to Taiwan, not any other country," said Illinois Republican Rep. Darin LaHood, Larsen's Republican counterpart on the US-China working group. "In our democratic system -- we operate with separate but equal branches of government."

"It is inappropriate for foreign governments, including the Chinese government, to attempt to influence the ability or the right to travel for the speaker, members of Congress, or other US government officials to Taiwan or anywhere else around the world," he added.

Other members appeared to be more cautious about the diplomatically sensitive trip.

California Democratic Rep. Judy Chu, the first Chinese American woman elected to Congress, said she has "always supported Taiwan."

But when asked whether a Taiwan trip now would send the wrong message, Chu said, "You could look at it two ways. One is that the relationships are very strained right now. But on the other hand, you could say maybe that's when Taiwan also needs to be shown the strength and the support."

When asked what she thought, she said, "I leave it up to those who are going to make that decision.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/01/politics/nancy-pelosi-taiwan-visit/index.html&ved=2ahUKEwihlM2D_qX5AhWuVPEDHa1eCN4Q0PADKAB6BAgDEAE&usg=AOvVaw06GcYnQbRdtg6xFk7uXhzS

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Empty threat coming from authoritarian regime.

2 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2022
Heathrow44:

why risk US marines lives on such a visit that doesn't really mean anything, I know its a show of solidarity to Taiwan that US would be responsive when in war with China but what's the end goal? US has wasted a lot of military assets in Ukraine with lots of it getting into the Russian hands, and they want to fight for Taiwan, Biden has made it absolutely clear that US would never send US marines on foreign missions , US pulled out of Afghanistan to enter war in Taiwan, Russia is just watching to test US capabilities, US shouldn't take d bait, this is clearly how world War starts
let's see what will happen tomorrow, she will arrive Taiwan on Tuesday.

From Biden's body language, he's not fully in support of her visit

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by TylerDurden: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2022
Heathrow44:

oh really and u think UK, France, Germany, Italy, NATO as a whole would sit idly and watch right? Whatever actions China deems fit to explore let it not involve shooting down a US military asset or An American civilian

If they do, what will Joe Biden do?

Go to war with China as a last minute attempt to see his historical low ratings go up?

DC will burn to the ground before any talk of war with China is even attempted by this highly unpopular president.

No way Americans who are facing the toughest economic and financial squeeze will readily sign up or accept a draft letter to fight China over Pelosi getting her ass shutdown.

You must understand that the Biden WH is populated by psychotic Jews bent on unleashing a third world war.

Americans are too ahead of the curve to give a rat's ass if Pelosi gets killed for doing the job reserved for the Secretary of State .
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 01, 2022
TylerDurden:

If they do, what will Joe Biden do?

Go to war with China as a last minute attempt to see his historical low ratings go up?

DC will burn to the ground before any talk of war with China is even attempted by this highly unpopular president.

No way Americans who are facing the toughest economic and financial squeeze will readily sign up or accept a draft letter to fight China over Pelosi getting her ass shutdown.

You must understand that the Biden WH is populated by psychotic Jews bent on unleashing a third world war.

Americans are too ahead of the curve to give a rat's ass if Pelosi gets killed for doing the job reserved for the Secretary of State .

To me that woman is a bloody witch, Dont they av foreign minister or even WH diplomats that can go on this trips, that old witch is bent on starting a world war but Americans re not daft enough to go to war for an old wretched woman

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by josh123(m): 6:37pm On Aug 01, 2022
From covid to war.... Something unplesant is about to happen.... My gut is always right cry
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Whobedatte(m): 6:45pm On Aug 01, 2022
Let's see how it goes, to me this is right time to call china bluff and put them in their place and not when the CCP is truly ready for the moment to engage the US
China to me is empty threat till further notice

2 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 7:03pm On Aug 01, 2022
Toktee:
Empty threat coming from authoritarian regime.
they are just making mouth

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 7:05pm On Aug 01, 2022
Whobedatte:
Let's see how it goes, to me this is right time to call china bluff and put them in their place and not when the CCP is truly ready for the moment to engage the US
China to me is empty threat till further notice
I agree with you, China needs to be put where it belongs

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 7:05pm On Aug 01, 2022
josh123:
From covid to war.... Something unplesant is about to happen.... My gut is always right cry
Lol, nothing will happen bro

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by josh123(m): 7:07pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
Lol, nothing will happen bro
things will only get worse bro ....
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 7:09pm On Aug 01, 2022
josh123:
things will only get worse bro ....
this is just superpowers rivalry.

It happened before between US and Soviet Union
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by baralatie(m): 7:10pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
I'm waiting to see what China will do, are they going to shoot her plane down or what?
That is what everyone want to see
Wether china will shoot down an American plane carrying the house of representatives top

If china thinks it can deliver madness...
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 7:12pm On Aug 01, 2022
baralatie:

That is what everyone want to see
Wether china will shoot down an American plane carrying the house of representatives top

If china thinks it can deliver madness...
I don't think they even have the military capability to do so.

It's all empty threats

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by baralatie(m): 7:13pm On Aug 01, 2022
Heathrow44:

To me that woman is a bloody witch, Dont they av foreign minister or even WH diplomats that can go on this trips, that old witch is bent on starting a world war but Americans re not daft enough to go to war for an old wretched woman
Call her whatever you want
One China did not need to bring itself in this situation in the first place
Second it should not have threatened to down her plane..
They put it out there for a show between the us and china.it did not need such

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by baralatie(m): 7:18pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
I don't think they even have the military capability to do so.

But it's all empty threats
Shooting down is not hard o!
The problem is shooting down the plane of the number 3 arm of government of the US for everybody to hear and see.
China just dragged itself into an ego clash!
To achieve what purpose?
When they released that threat at the US I knew china attracted an issue it does not want!
Now everybody is waiting for who will win in this.
Definitely the US won't back down!

Let us see what tomorrow will bring

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 7:22pm On Aug 01, 2022
baralatie:

Shooting down is not hard o!
The problem is shooting down the plane of the number 3 arm of government of the US for everybody to hear and see.
China just dragged itself into an ego clash!
To achieve what purpose?
When they released that threat at the US I knew china attracted an issue it does not want!
Now everybody is waiting for who will win in this.
Definitely the US won't back down!

Let us see what tomorrow will bring
US won't mind deploying f-35 and f-22 to accompany her plane

I don't see that happening bro
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by iykofias(m): 7:30pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
here is the thing, Taiwan doesn't even like China, so why is China hellbent on forceful reunification of Taiwan with the mainland China
same way the Igbo despised the shithole
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 01, 2022
[quote author=baralatie post=115289267]
Call her whatever you want
One China did not need to bring itself in this situation in the first place
Second it should not have threatened to down her plane..
They put it out there for a show between the us and china.it did not need such
[/quot

China is bluffing saying they would shoot down a presidential designate , shooting down a high ranking US diplomat is like assassinating a US president on foreign soil, the after taste of such ridiculous adventure is going to be worst than the droppings at Hiroshima and Nagasko

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by pansophist(m): 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2022
This is a golden opportunity for China to solve the Taiwan issue once and for all. As far China takes measure to secure its territory without firing a single bullet, they will always have the legal and moral upper hand. And I trust this is what China will do.

First of all, the world except maybe ten insignificant countries recognise Taiwan as a province of China, even the US and the whole collective west. So the US is clearly the aggressor here.

China could simply send its military jet to escort Pelosi plane to Taiwan as its enter Chinese airspace, and guide it until it land in Taipel. And as a consequence, Taiwan military would want to secure its territory and by doing so, they may fire the first shot.

If they dare fire the first shot, effectively becoming the aggressors, then China have ever moral and legal ground to fight back and reclaim its territory once and for all, and unlike Russia and Ukraine, Taiwan is not a country, the UN does not recognise it, and its a city to China, just like Enugu is to Nigeria.

I trust the US and its infinite foolishness to prolong their dying empire, they will take actions that fasten its death instead. Ukraine has been effectively destroyed and under Russia's control, they've lost that puppet as a means to contain Russia, and Taiwan would also face the same fate.

3 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by Whobedatte(m): 7:58pm On Aug 01, 2022
pansophist:
This is a golden opportunity for China to solve the Taiwan issue once and for all. As far China takes measure to secure its territory without firing a single bullet, they will always have the legal and moral upper hand. And I trust this is what China will do.

First of all, the world except maybe ten insignificant countries recognise Taiwan as a province of China, even the US and the whole collective west. So the US is clearly the aggressor here.

China could simply send its military jet to escort Pelosi plane to Taiwan as its enter Chinese airspace, and guide it until it land in Taipel. And as a consequence, Taiwan military would want to secure its territory and by doing so, they may fire the first shot.

If they dare fire the first shot, effectively becoming the aggressors, then China have ever moral and legal ground to fight back and reclaim its territory once and for all, and unlike Russia and Ukraine, Taiwan is not a country, the UN does not recognise it, and its a city to China, just like Enugu is to Nigeria.

I trust the US and its infinite foolishness to prolong their dying empire, they will take actions that fasten its death instead. Ukraine has been effectively destroyed and under Russia's control, they've lost that puppet as a means to contain Russia, and Taiwan would also face the same fate.
Balderdash

6 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by pansophist(m): 8:00pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
I'm waiting to see what China will do, are they going to shoot her plane down or what?

No they won't, that's not the ways of the Chinese. Imagine this scenario. An unwanted guest who you've severely warned not to visit you forcefully came into your house. Killing the guess would be a step too far, and in situation of diplomacy, it's basically a declaration of war.

What you can do is just to watch the unwanted visitor and see what he/she is up to, but if they dare attack you in your own house, then you have every right to defend yourself and your properties and kick them out. China will do something similar.

What China can simply do is to escort her plane as soon as she enters Taiwans's airspace, and land with her in Taipel. If either the US military or Taiwan military dare attack China's PLA forces, then China has every moral and legal ground to act defensively to protect its territory.

They can also use this opportunity to solve the Taiwan issue once and for all, and return it back to the fold. The US and the rest of the world have no ground for intervention because Taiwanese issue is a Chinese internal affair thing, unlike Ukraine and Russia which are two different countries.

1 Like

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 8:01pm On Aug 01, 2022
pansophist:

this doesn't make sense

5 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 8:03pm On Aug 01, 2022
pansophist:

No they won't, that's not the ways of the Chinese. Imagine this scenario. An unwanted guest who you've warned severally came into your house. Killing the guess would be a step top far, and in situation of diplomacy, it's basically a declaration of war.

What China can simply do is to escort her plane as soon as she enters Taiwans's airspace, and land with her in Taipel. If either the US military or Taiwan military dare attack China's PLA forces, then China has every moral and legal ground to act defensively to protect its territory.

They can also use this opportunity to solve the Taiwan issue once and for all, and return it back to the fold. The US and the rest of the world have no ground for intervention because Taiwanese issue is a Chinese internal affair thing, unlike Ukraine and Russia which are two different countries.
How can China's fighter jets escort her plane to Taiwan? This is terrible thinking

4 Likes

Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by pansophist(m): 8:04pm On Aug 01, 2022
Whobedatte:

Balderdash

Mtcheew, when they can't engage meaningfully they dismiss. So tell me what make sense and I'll take you serious.
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by pansophist(m): 8:04pm On Aug 01, 2022
God1000:
How can China's fighter jets escort her plane to Taiwan? This is terrible thinking

How can they not? Taiwan belongs to China. Its not a country. The UN and almost all country recognise it as China, so what's your point ?
Re: US House Speaker To Visit Taiwan Despite China Warnings by God1000(m): 8:06pm On Aug 01, 2022
pansophist:

How can they not? Taiwan belongs to China. Its not a country. The UN and almost all country recognise it as China, so what's your point ?
Chinese planes won't get anywhere near Taiwan airspace man. I

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Syria Imposes New Rules Of Engagement On Israel / Putin Crushes Bbc Smartass / Uhuru Kenyatta Appears At Icc In The Hague?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.