Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,924 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

The Result Of The 1979 Presidential Election - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Result Of The 1979 Presidential Election (6153 Views)

How Nigeria Voted In 1979 Presidential Election / Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Private Car in 1979 (photo) / The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: The Result Of The 1979 Presidential Election by aieromon(m): 7:58am On Mar 03, 2023
The spread is very important. In the strongholds of his opponents, Shagari picked up considerable numbers and grabbed second place or a strong third.
Shagari - 12
Awolowo - 6
Azikiwe - 3
Waziri - 3
Aminu Kano - 3

I don't think Awolowo would have been able to win Shagari in a runoff if he had won the case at the Supreme Court.
Re: The Result Of The 1979 Presidential Election by bolaji73(m): 7:17pm On Apr 08, 2023
deekseen:
My observations;

1. Aminu was from Kano and won only in Kano state.
2. Waziri was from Borno and won only in Borno state.
3. Awolowo was from the South West and won the region.
4. Azikiwe won his region, the South East, as well.
5. Shagari won not because of the 90% "not online" Almajiris, but rather because of the votes of the "politically irrelevant" South Southerners and the Middle belt (North Central).

These regions have been neglected or politically dealt with for decades, and like in 1979, the next president will be decided by them.

Exactly. Same pattern that Tinubu emerge. Not because of the numbers from his base(SW) but because he could also take reasonable chunk from his opponent region.
Re: The Result Of The 1979 Presidential Election by bolaji73(m): 7:21pm On Apr 08, 2023
I also observed that SW has become liberal in their voting pattern i.e splitting their votes unlike other regions especially SE that were and still remains conservative ( voting In a single pattern)..

What could be the problem?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Interim Government: Why Tinubu Cannot Be Sworn-in On May 29 / Occupy Nigeria:My uncle Gani Fawehinmi went to jail 32 times for us by Musiwa / Likely Position Sharing Arrangement To Be Adopted By APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.