Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! (656 Views)

Inec New Boss Is Buhari Blood Relation!!!!! Apc Consolidating? / If Your Boss Is Always Angry For Seeing Any Guy Around You What Does That Mean? / My Boss Is In Trouble (i Feel He Has Taken Kobnomee) Love Potion! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! by OgbeniMr(f): 4:42pm On Aug 02, 2011
@Moderator,
Kindly permit me if I am posting this in the wrong section. I don't really know where best I can post it.

Fellow Nairalanders,
I kindly need your urgent responses and pieces of advice concerning this issue. Here it goes;

I am a graduate working in a private Account and Audit firm in Lagos. I became a permanent staff of this company about 6months ago. I joined this company based on my personal relationship with the Executive Consultant of the company who happens to be from the same town as I am. He offered to assist me due to my fruitless searches for a job. I accepted the offer and he told me to resume which I did. And since then I have been working in his organization since then.

Now,where the Company is located is very far from where any of my relatives that I intended staying with with stay and so It was very difficult for me to stay with any of them and I told my boss about this. He suggested I move in 2 a 3-bedroom apartment where he stays(his family is not based in Lagos) with about 6 other members of staff. In each of the rooms, apart from his, we have a double-deck bunk like a hostel and that actually gave rise to we naming the place 'the officers' mess'. LOLZ!

I know you might have been wondering if we are still very young but like I said earlier on, we are all graduates with the age range between 26-35! But regardless of the age we are still being subjected to different kind of treatments that a child of 12years will even complain about.

Not to bore you with the story, below is an analyses of our conditions;

1. The highest paid staff in the company that has about 50million naira turnover earns 30,000.
2. No staff has ever been given an appointment letter and if you ask, he 'posts' you.
3. You are not entitled to any kind of leave whatsoever and you can't even complain.
4. Excluding those that are coming from there homes, he wakes us up in the middle of the night to work without any consideration for an-overtime-bonus!
5. Waking in the middle of the night is not an excuse for coming to the office late. You must be in the office by 8:00am and any minute later, you are placed on a 2-week suspension without pay and attempt to leave the officers' mess is considered an act of arrogance and indiscipline.
9. We do his laundry, polish his shoes and if any of the drivers is not around, you wash the car.
10. Including the staff that come from there houses, we don't close at the official 5'o clock.
11. He attacks staff physically if engaged in hot arguments.
and so on,

I wish to state that I am not exaggerating or over-emphasizing. This is nothing but the truth. The amount we earn is not even sufficient to eat (as he doesn't allow us to cook in his kitchen,we eat by road-sides. ) Many have called it quit and many more are still planning to do so but people like me have decided to be patient as I have no other alternative for now.

He just sent about five of us out of the apartment yesterday for no just cause and some of the staff are even threatening to implicate/sue him as we engage in some frivolous activities in the organization. Infact, most of our activities are. But He is the kind of person that paints the devil white and he never sees anything bad.

The question is ; FOR HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO CONTINUE?

Even, if I quit, this undue slavery will still continue and funnily enough, you might even be a victim!!!

WHAT DO I DO?
Re: My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! by obowunmi(m): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2011
This is very evil. wow ---- one of the reasons why I don't like Nigeria. angry angry angry angry angry angry

We all need the money, I'm sure this job is a source of income but can you start looking for another job ? will you be able to survive if you quit ? How about starting a business ? I feel your pain --- cry
Re: My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! by aieromon(m): 8:59am On Aug 03, 2011
I advise you to start looking for an alternative since you relate with clients.They could link you up with a better prospect.
Re: My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! by lacicrips(m): 6:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
OgbeniMr:

@Moderator,
Kindly permit me if I am posting this in the wrong section. I don't really know where best I can post it.

Fellow Nairalanders,
I kindly need your urgent responses and pieces of advice concerning this issue. Here it goes;

I am a graduate working in a private Account and Audit firm in Lagos. I became a permanent staff of this company about 6months ago. I joined this company based on my personal relationship with the Executive Consultant of the company who happens to be from the same town as I am. He offered to assist me due to my fruitless searches for a job. I accepted the offer and he told me to resume which I did. And since then I have been working in his organization since then.

Now,where the Company is located is very far from where any of my relatives that I intended staying with with stay and so It was very difficult for me to stay with any of them and I told my boss about this. He suggested I move in 2 a 3-bedroom apartment where he stays(his family is not based in Lagos) with about 6 other members of staff. In each of the rooms, apart from his, we have a double-deck bunk like a hostel and that actually gave rise to we naming the place 'the officers' mess'. LOLZ!

I know you might have been wondering if we are still very young but like I said earlier on, we are all graduates with the age range between 26-35! But regardless of the age we are still being subjected to different kind of treatments that a child of 12years will even complain about.

Not to bore you with the story, below is an analyses of our conditions;

1. The highest paid staff in the company that has about 50million naira turnover earns 30,000.
2. No staff has ever been given an appointment letter and if you ask, he 'posts' you.
3. You are not entitled to any kind of leave whatsoever and you can't even complain.
4. Excluding those that are coming from there homes, he wakes us up in the middle of the night to work without any consideration for an-overtime-bonus!
5. Waking in the middle of the night is not an excuse for coming to the office late. You must be in the office by 8:00am and any minute later, you are placed on a 2-week suspension without pay and attempt to leave the officers' mess is considered an act of arrogance and indiscipline.
9. We do his laundry, polish his shoes and if any of the drivers is not around, you wash the car.
10. Including the staff that come from there houses, we don't close at the official 5'o clock.
11. He attacks staff physically if engaged in hot arguments.
and so on,

I wish to state that I am not exaggerating or over-emphasizing. This is nothing but the truth. The amount we earn is not even sufficient to eat (as he doesn't allow us to cook in his kitchen,we eat by road-sides. ) Many have called it quit and many more are still planning to do so but people like me have decided to be patient as I have no other alternative for now.

He just sent about five of us out of the apartment yesterday for no just cause and some of the staff are even threatening to implicate/sue him as we engage in some frivolous activities in the organization. Infact, most of our activities are. But He is the kind of person that paints the devil white and he never sees anything bad.

The question is ; FOR HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO CONTINUE?

Even, if I quit, this undue slavery will still continue and funnily enough, you might even be a victim!!!

WHAT DO I DO?

Send me an email if you can, lacicrips@gmail.com.
Re: My Boss Is 'slaving' Us! by 1stKlass(f): 8:03pm On Feb 08, 2012
Its time to look for another job, and in the meantime prepare a letter that you will attach to your letter of resignation setting out the issues you have complained off. This additional letter you should then circulate to all the other staff members, if they do not have the courage to stand together and demand better treatment then they are accepting that standard of working environment.

Does Nigeria have trade unions,

. ,

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Ever Tried The Domiciliary Account? / Hunger Strike By Nigeria Politicians / Rumour: Greece To Leave Euro Zone!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.