Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 (2591 Views)

History Of Oil Prices From 1861-2014 / Did You Watch Tinubu At The Lagos Apc Presidential Rally Today? / Eminent Citizens Faults Historical Claims On 1861 Lagos Annexation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by NegroNtns(m): 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2011
Very long read in Google Books, requires patience. In here it is evident that the Yoruba diplomacy and negotiation skills in politics are ancient.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VuZwqbFl5lsC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=HMS+PENELOPE+IN+LAGOS&source=bl&ots=xqSqzmWn83&sig=fUGjszE16Ge_Vi5JPDzaLLrfbCw&hl=en&ei=JRE4TvD2M4zegQfii42bAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=HMS%20PENELOPE%20IN%20LAGOS&f=false
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by okadaman2: 5:53pm On Aug 02, 2011
^^
That your link said the Yoruba Oba: Kosoko was sharing Hausa slaves to people like pure water shocked

Kai so Yoruba people took Hausa slaves?

These Yoruba people self, no wonder Hausa people are afraid of them sometimes.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by gidson12(m): 7:49pm On Aug 02, 2011
^^^lol
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by tpia5: 7:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
okada_man:

^^
That your link said the Yoruba Oba: Kosoko was sharing Hausa slaves to people like pure water shocked

Kai so Yoruba people took Hausa slaves?

These Yoruba people self, no wonder Hausa people are afraid of them sometimes.

there were a lot of hausa slaves in lagos during those times.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by NegroNtns(m): 9:22pm On Aug 02, 2011
Back in those days Yorubas ruled what is in modern day Nigeria and all the way west into Ghana.
Yorubas imprisoned, evicted, exiled and even sold white men as slaves.

The West has been politically wild for hundreds of years that British naval officers took caution and preferred diplomacy to direct confrontation with Yorubas, either of Oyo, Ijesha, Ijebu, Egba, Lagos or Bini. . . . . .in the 1851 war with British Royal Navy, Yorubas with Tapa killed the English sailors and their officers and sank three of their war vessels and they had to retreat and regroup with reinforcement of more war vessels. Even with that, they were held back and were contemplating giving up but by an act of accident a mortar shell landed behind the stockade erected by the yoruba warriors. The accidental shell landed on pile of munitions and set off rapid explotions which resulted in an inferno that burned parts of the city. This loss shifted the advantage to the British side and they were able to land onshore and take over the city. There is a cannon gun sitting in Oba's palace till today. That cannon was recovered from a destroyed naval vessel and ordered installed for souvernir at the palace by Kosoko.

Oyiboman has no sense, in this book they keep saying "Cabooceer". The idiots meant "Kabiyesi", a term of honor and endearment when greeting or addressing an Oba or Chief.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by ektbear: 10:51pm On Aug 02, 2011
Oyo Empire enslaved a lot of Hausa as well. A lot of them escaped to join Afonja's rebellion.

Ibadan too seems to have enslaved Hausa.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by NegroNtns(m): 11:19pm On Aug 02, 2011
Ekt,

Yes and there were also fulani in the West even before Jihad.

Remember Yorubaland extended into Zamfara, which later became part of Sokoto state. Prior to Fodio's Jihad, Hausa states were sandwiched between Songhai, Oyo and Kanem.

Hausa never had an imperial state but they had kingdom. I won't be surprised that they (Hausa in pagan age) were tributary of Old Oyo at one time and this would explain the slavery account. They were part of the Oyo cavalry also.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by dayokanu(m): 11:41pm On Aug 02, 2011
Interesting
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 03, 2011
I am so surprised people find joy in enslaving others. What a filthy mentality!
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by ektbear: 12:43am On Aug 03, 2011
all4naija:

I am so surprised people find joy in enslaving others. What a filthy mentality!

Err, none of us are alive who did the enslaving? Anyway, it isn't the best of things to do, but at that time it was accepted practice.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by NegroNtns(m): 12:47am On Aug 03, 2011
There was nothing wrong with slave institution in Africa and for that age.

White man lost his soul and dehumanized and debased what for centuries Africans had managed well and within confines of human conscience and understanding of the cosmic karma.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 03, 2011
You'll be surprised the Hausas are actually relatives of Yoruba. YES relatives of Yorubas and I'm talking real Hausas not the Islamized/Arabized nut jobs we have today!!!,

We Yorubas are the descendants of a nation in what was known as Ubaidan(Ibada)/Suma this nation was located in what was known as Sumeria (Suma), After being attacked by terrorists and vandals, some escaped into Nubia (Nu is the name of the creator of the universe), Yohuuba is the female counterpart of the creator (Female side of the creator which means the barrel of inception not weaker like your bible or Quran preaches), The people of Suma have the habbit of settling along coasts and have spiritual affinity with Rivers and deltas!! (Ijaw men take note),

The Ga Adangbe people of Ghana are also part of the people of Suma,

up till today, there are still black slaves in middle east (Vandals and terrorists, only Nu knows where they came from)

I will look for the book in my book shelf and try to type out the part of the Yorubas and Hausas, Though the Hausa are related to the Ga Adangbe people directly, the entire Ga Adagbe people are also directly from the Yohuuba and Yohuuba nation from Suma/Ubaidan (Ibada), Ibadan anyone?

Infact the entirety of Egypt was part of Nubia though there are fragment nations like states, Nubia is the entirety of Africa. Other Sumarians are Sumalian/Eritreans Suma-li the two twin brothers of Suma were Fu and La the descendants of this two are FU-LA- Fulani who settled in Sub saharan west Africa in Mali!!

It's a whole lot of shiiiit we can't really understand really unless we are able to put all the pieces together!!! That we have different languages is not a proof of differences, I must admit, with the income of Islam first, things took a horrible turn, Then Xtianity added fuel to the already burning fire of identity destruction,

Should we star killing the Arabs for the middle east now? NO, they can have it, According to Ga Adagbe people, the land is no longer spiritually relevant to Nubians,
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Abagworo(m): 2:22am On Aug 03, 2011
9jaganja:

You'll be surprised the Hausas are actually relatives of Yoruba.

Yes.Physically,one cannot differentiate.The original Hausas were very dark and fat like the Yorubas but the Fulani mix gave them the new Arabic looks.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Nobody: 2:41am On Aug 03, 2011
Abagworo:

Yes.Physically,one cannot differentiate.The original Hausas were very dark and fat like the Yorubas but the Fulani mix gave them the new Arabic looks.

Negroe you need to change your life cause the one you are living right now has FAILED WOEFULLY!!!!
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by okadaman2: 2:48am On Aug 03, 2011
^
Bros haba! shocked shebi the guy agree with you nah? he said Yoruba and gambari na the same, though I don't think anybody was fat in Africa until they started eating oyinbo people food.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by NegroNtns(m): 7:09am On Aug 03, 2011
Okada-man,

How could you make such a statement. Where is it I agreed with him on this Sumeria story?

<quote>

It's a whole lot of shiiiit we can't really understand really unless we are able to put all the pieces together!!!

</quote>

9ja,

Thank you for the info. You have opened a can of worms. I am patient, please get to work and help assemble all the parts together.

What language they spoke, what their alphabets were, what the rituals were, what the social heirarchy and status was, refrences.

I hope this is not one of those atheist stories about flying saucers.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 03, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Okada-man,

How could you make such a statement. Where is it I agreed with him on this Sumeria story? 

<quote>

It's a whole lot of shiiiit we can't really understand really unless we are able to put all the pieces together!!!

</quote>

9ja,

Thank you for the info. You have opened a can of worms. I am patient, please get to work and help assemble all the parts together.

What language they spoke, what their alphabets were, what the rituals were, what the social heirarchy and status was, refrences.

I hope this is not one of those atheist stories about flying saucers.

Lol,  I was talking about Abagworo lol not your user name hahahaha,  you know like "Negroe please" not like I'm talking about you lol!!! it's funny still,

I can't have their alphabets as they write hieroglyphs, their rituals are just like every other traditional religion (the real ones not the human sacrificing nonsense),  They used the cone style shrine to honour their DIVINE ancestors,

They believe NU (the universe creator) Lives in the sun and believe "LA"  (heat and fire) to be the protector of "OSA", "Esiri", "Osiris" (which is water). "Osa" is the habitat of NU, LA is the protector of "Osa", (That some of us worship the sea is not by imaginative coincidence),  "LA" has the corrupt pronunciation "RA".  The SUN is worshiped because it is the protector of the god zone and the water is worshiped because Nu lives in water.

The Ga Adagbe people still have Nimloi as a name. Nimloi (Nimrod) was a king in Mecca became known to the mainstream Yorubas as "Lamurudu",  (not the Islamic mecca though, the original pagan mecca) This is why I'm not surprised Muslims position themselves same way ancient Egyptians do while praying,

The Yohuuba nation's survivals came all the way from east (not Benin), till they got to the cost of West Africa where they settled but even at that, they kept moving further down,

there are stories involving how Oduduwa was escaping a race or religious war from the East. (I don't believe the Oduduwa from Benin story a bit though Bini people and Yorubas are one and same people), 

Queen of Sheeba? The giant wall in Ijebu Igbo which used more earth than the Pyramid of Giza was dedicted to who?

Who is the Bilikisu Yorubas sings about in their folk lore? (Ijebu ode, Ijebu Igbo; Owo bilikisu ni won nor)

Who is Biliquis Sungbo?

The puzzle is massive mehn!!! It can't be pieced together,  I got tired trying to hear folk lores/songs from grandma and other elder cult priests,

The stories can be really put together and deciphered if all the other Yohuuba nations' survivals who came into Nubia are known and their stories heard, That I don't think we can know as language corruption etc, makes it difficult to know which Nubians were already in Nubia and which ones came from the east!!!

Arabs are not the Original inhabitants of Mecca, they are the vandals same in Egypt and other areas in North Africa,

This is why I say, any Nigerian following Islam is a biiig fooool!!!
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 03, 2011
people in Uganda, Kenya are not left out in the story,

Many consider it folklore/oral history but the truth about Oral history is that it can not be rewritten though through tongue corruption names and character may change, the truth is the main story isn't chamged at all, !!!
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 03, 2011
That makes me very proud of my Culture, which is far more superior to the western type of civilization.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by member479760: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2011
those are the brave one without grammar! now wetin we have? talk talk talk only talk 50 yrs don pass.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by lagcity(m): 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2011
during Oyo days, a lot of Nupe, Hausa and Fulani were living in Yoruba land as soldiers, traders, and slaves. Most of them never made it back to their homeland and got mixed with Yoruba. If you are Yoruba, you might have one of these ppl as ancestor and not know it. Yorubas have been living with foreigners for a very long time and that might explain our acceptance and "no big deal" attitude towards them. Live and let live is the Yoruba way. Yorubas are diplomatic and don't trouble anybody unless they attack us like Dahomey did. Dahomey found out the hard way.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by NegroNtns(m): 2:14pm On Aug 03, 2011
9ja,

I am interested in whatever you have in oral particularly.

Oral records cannot be dismissed as unauthoritatiVe in the face of written records. For example there are words in written records that because of the tongue of the writer may be adulterated, example - white man called Kabiyesi "Cabooceer". So oral narratives are treasures when writing our history.

Lagcity,

True, Yoruba/Tapa and Hausa/Fulani are intermingled and could explain their tolerance for us and our tolerance for them.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by ochiaha1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 03, 2011
lagcity:

during Oyo days, a lot of Nupe, Hausa and Fulani were living in Yoruba land as soldiers, traders, and slaves. Most of them never made it back to their homeland and got mixed with Yoruba. If you are Yoruba, you might have one of these ppl as ancestor and not know it. Yorubas have been living with foreigners for a very long time and that might explain our acceptance and "no big deal" attitude towards them. Live and let live is the Yoruba way. Yorubas are diplomatic and don't trouble anybody unless they attack us like Dahomey did. Dahomey found out the hard way.

No wonder someone said the Yorubas are descended from the hausas grin
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by tpia5: 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2011
Lagcity

true talk.

I think many of these people married yoruba women as well but i'm not sure if the kids were raised as yoruba or if they went back to their fathers' places of origin.

I would suspect the former though i cant say for sure.
Re: The Lagos Consulate 1851 - 1861 by tpiander: 1:37am On Aug 21, 2015
9jaganja

Ga people claim origin from Egypt and Sudan according to wiki.

Don't know much about them however.

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Renames Captured Adamawa Town, Mubi, “madinatul Islam” / Femi Gbajabiamila Is The Next Speaker House Of Representatives / President Olusegun Obasanjo Appointed Chairman Of World Ex-presidents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.