Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,569 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN (2617 Views)

Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) / Sss Invaded Bbc And Cnn Offices In Lagos? / Radio Nigeria And Cnn Reporter Attacked During Burial Of Jos Crisis Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Idokojimmy: 2:10pm On Feb 05, 2013
I watched Amanpour's recent documentary and read comments that greeted the piece with shock. This is because her career in journalism has suddenly taken a mysterious turn, a situation that may end up denting the reputation she has managed to build overtime. I am saying this because Amanpour's recent reportage falls short of modern day prescribed journalistic norms, which is hinged on discovery/investigative journalism and objectivity. Embracing propaganda as a journalist reveals the inadequacies in your carreer and portrays you instead, as a govt stooge, a handmaid, recruited for laundry of images. Three key issues prompted this piece, and I write because of the faith I have for the country.
It could be recalled that President Jonathan recently granted CNN an Interview. In the course of the interview, GEJ mentioned that power has improved significantly in the country and that the power sector is one areas Nigerians are happy about.
Few days after, the United States held the prestigious Super Bowl. Given the time frame for preparations, one expected that the event would be hitchfree. Alas it was not so. In Nigerian parlance, NEPA TAKE LIGHT FOR THE EVENT. it was a national embarrassment, a disgrace to the world power. Trust Nigerians, they tweeted playfully about the power situation, even though it took power officials over 35minutes to restore power. Being ashamed by reactions that followed the power outage, CNN, which is obviously America's image laundry house gave Amanpour marching orders to come up with appropriate propaganda that will not only shift Nigerians attention, but paint her image black in the media.
She swung into action, carefully selected her sources and targets, got comments from them in Lagos, dropped those that were pro-power improvement and went to studio with the ones that best served her purpose. The result was her blatant lie, pitiable posture and comment that GEJ lied to the world.
Is it a lie that power has improved in Nigeria? Have we wondered why Nigerians didn't want Nnaji sacked? Does improvement connotes perfection? We know America and her ploy to classify the rest as inferior. While we may not dispute the level of their achievements, we must also note that these people gained independence since 1776, and have no reasons to be a failed state.
We may have had series of challenges that have dragged us backward, ranging from the looting of our treasury, allocation of monies to power with little or no results etc. All this appear to have changed following the emergence of GEJ. With him, we have recorded recogniseable improvement in gas supply to power plants, power generation and supply. I bet you, if we had people like GEJ from the 60s to the present (paltry 52yrs), we could have been better positioned. The perceived fluctuation of power in US would have been alien to us. I bet you, Nigeria could have hosted super Bowl without power failure.

4 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 05, 2013
Is it possible for her to loose her job simply because she made a report about Nigeria and her epileptic power supply? Oh please spare me that crap! she only made a report and i don't see any hypocrisy in it.why attacking the woman anyway? na she be oga for nepa? probably ACN and CPC paid her for the report. smh!
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Joeadamu86: 2:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
berem: Is it possible for her to loose her job simply because she made a report about Nigeria and her epileptic power supply? Oh please spare me that crap! she only made a report and i don't see any hypocrisy in it.why attacking the woman anyway? na she be oga for nepa? probably ACN and CPC paid her for the report. smh!
Its not abt her loosing her job,the problem of power has been there a long time ago a bane that past administrations neglected for long,comparing the embarrassment of the super bowl and Nigeria's improving power status is wrong,i see it as a slap on our faces.Nobody is saying that all is well but the truth of the matter is that power has improved.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by PrettyRita(f): 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
berem: Is it possible for her to loose her job simply because she made a report about Nigeria and her epileptic power supply? Oh please spare me that crap! she only made a report and i don't see any hypocrisy in it.why attacking the woman anyway? na she be oga for nepa? probably ACN and CPC paid her for the report. smh!
If I read and understood the post, it maintained that the documentary was a sponsored propaganda, whether by opposition or CNN, to sway our attention from their deficiencies e.g power failure during the super bowl. GEJ is trying especially in the power sector. I may disagree on many other issues, but on power, I will give it to him. Amanpour should go beyond the protection of Americas image to realistic reporting that is based on objectivity.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by MurphyT1: 2:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
she is trying to divert attention from the unfortunate incident that happened capitalizing on tweets from Nigerians...it is no news that we have power problem but the good news is that so much effort is being geared towards revamping the sector, and this what the President reiterated in his interview with her...ever since that interview, this has been an issue of discourse, but truthfully, there have been great improvement in power supply, letz leave sentiment and political interest aside, it isnt as bad as the later. Amanpour is a professional who is selling her product, she can decide to make news headline from whatever she likes, but that won't change the fact that Power supply has improved...she is just manipulating Nigerians against their own country, and most of them are ignorantly following. right now nobody is talking about the power outage in superbowl, they are all focusing on Naija like say na our own bad pass...abeggiiii

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
Joeadamu86: Its not abt her loosing her job,the problem of power has been there a long time ago a bane that past administrations neglected for long,comparing the embarrassment of the super bowl and Nigeria's improving power status is wrong,i see it as a slap on our faces.Nobody is saying that all is well but the truth of the matter is that power has improved.
I still don't believe power has improved when comparing my area of residence to other places. the uneven distribution of electricity is a major problem. why would some areas have 18hrs of light daily and others won't have up to 6 hours. If Jonathan hadn't lied about the state of power,Christine wouldn't have taken it too far as you guys claim.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Stallion77(f): 2:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
The problem with human being is that we are all looking for a perfect system and hey...NEWS FLASH!!! THERE IS NO PERFECT SYSTEM! The US can use Amanpawpaw...all they want want... Power is improving in some areas and its yet to improve in some areas so? It cant all improve like magic jor... it did not get this bad by magic so dont expect improvement magically! Deal with that!
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by jaso1(m): 2:53pm On Feb 05, 2013
The poster of this nonsense is igbo and we are in it together, shameless, senseless fellow; so myopic.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Joeadamu86: 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
berem: I still don't believe power has improved when comparing my area of residence to other places. the uneven distribution of electricity is a major problem. why would some areas have 18hrs of light daily and others won't have up to 6 hours. If Jonathan hadn't lied about the state of power,Christine wouldn't have taken it too far as you guys claim.
My brother u don't expect everything to become normal at ones its a gradual thing at least a particular place has 18 hours isn't that a good omen. Improvement is a related term i don't think GEJ lied with time and from the way this power reform is going we will soon smile for the better.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by GARRIx7(m): 3:02pm On Feb 05, 2013
The "Amampour" Saga should be an eye-opener to the PDP-led FG as to the current mood of Nigerians as it relates to the "alleged spurious" claims of "MASSIVE" improvements of power supply.

Even If like some say the interview wasn't representative of people's opinion, check her twitter handle and tell me if the message from Nigerians aint clear enough. If you've got an "mg" of common sense, you'd get the clear message from Nigerians.

THE "IMPROVEMENT" IN THE POWER SECTOR ISN'T WORTH CELEBRATING YET AS MANY ARE YET TO BE AFFECTED!!

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by fkaz(m): 3:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
She swung into action, carefully selected her sources and targets, got comments from them in Lagos, dropped those that were pro-power improvement and went to studio with the ones that best served her purpose.

@idokojimmy, how did you arrive @ this?
You go fit wright movie oooo
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Joeadamu86: 3:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
GARRI (x7):
The "Amampour" Saga should be an eye-opener to the PDP-led FG as to the current mood of Nigerians as it relates to the "alleged spurious" claims of "MASSIVE" improvements of power supply.

Even If like some say the interview wasn't representative of people's opinion, check her twitter handle and tell me if the message from Nigerians aint clear enough. If you've got an "mg" of common sense, you'd get the clear message from Nigerians.

THE "IMPROVEMENT" IN THE POWER SECTOR ISN'T WORTH CELEBRATING YET AS MANY ARE YET TO BE AFFECTED!!
Improvement is improvement no matter how you look at it,you don't expect things to change at once it must start somewhere, to say that power has not improved anywhere is hyperbolic we must be very fair in our assessment.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by MurphyT1: 3:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
GARRI (x7):

but there is improvement sha...that is what pple r saying, atleast the power situation is better than before.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by FindOut(m): 3:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
Give it up for the Laptop crew!!!! *claps hands*. So what's next now? A ''revelation'' that Christine Amanpour is a card carrying member of ACN & seeks to become Governor of Lagos state in 2013? Or that Cameron the British PM is a CPC member who wants to serve as vice to Buhari, right?

You guys are pathetic. Very pathetic. I actually pity you guys o. Seriously! But it should be obvious by now that your constant mudslinging and attacking of personalities and not issues will not help your case. But oh well, Oga has to see you are doing something, I get smiley

Go to some neighbourhoods, both highbrow and low income, in the night & tell me if your ears wont be deafened by the sound of generators everywhere.

Ask Femi Otedola & Mike Adenuga or at the very least filling station attendants if the purchase of diesel by companies has reduced.

Ask the inverter sellers (new ones are springing up everyday) how many units they sell per day.

Visit 3 banks and tell me if you won't hear the rumble of a cabin generator somewhere in the background in at least 2 out of them.

Go and stand at the gate of Mikano's factory and tell me if you won't see trucks loaded with brand new generators to be delivered leaving the premises.

Lastly, go and look at the 2013 budget and see the amount your very own President/whoeva appropriated for diesel & generators.

Rubbish. Make una dey deceive unaselves dey go. Hopefully, we'll get to the level of development New Orleans is at in d next 15 years (that's not a curse, believe me).

2 Likes

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Joeadamu86: 3:16pm On Feb 05, 2013
Find Out!:
Give it up for the Laptop crew!!!! *claps hands*. So what's next now? A ''revelation'' that Christine Amanpour is a card carrying member of ACN & seeks to become Governor of Lagos state in 2013? Or that Cameron the British PM is a CPC member who wants to serve as vice to Buhari, right?

You guys are pathetic. Very pathetic. I actually pity you guys o. Seriously! But it should be obvious by now that your constant mudslinging and attacking of personalities and not issues will not help your case. But oh well, Oga has to see you are doing something, I get smiley

Go to some neighbourhoods, both highbrow and low income, in the night & tell me if your ears wont be deafened by the sound of generators everywhere.

Ask Femi Otedola & Mike Adenuga or at the very least filling station attendants if the purchase of diesel by companies has reduced.

Ask the inverter sellers (new ones are springing up everyday) how many units they sell per day.

Visit 3 banks and tell me if you won't hear the rumble of a cabin generator somewhere in the background in at least 2 out of them.

Go and stand at the gate of Mikano's factory and tell me if you won't see trucks loaded with brand new generators to be delivered leaving the premises.

Lastly, go and look at the 2013 budget and see the amount your very own President/whoeva appropriated for diesel & generators.

Rubbish. Make una dey deceive unaselves dey go. Hopefully, we'll get to the level of development New Orleans is at in d next 15 years (that's not a curse, believe me).
OP you think everybody is as cheap as you are? when there is an improvement on something it doesn't mean that all the challenges are gone,except its magic the problem of power will take some time, wetin we dey talk say things don't improve for power sector unlike before not even Amanpour can deny that if she is to be very fair to this govt.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by PrettyRita(f): 3:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
jas_o: The poster of this nonsense is igbo and we are in it together, shameless, senseless fellow; so myopic.
You succeeded in saying nothing. Grow up
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 05, 2013
Joeadamu86: Improvement is improvement no matter how you look at it,you don't expect things to change at once it must start somewhere, to say that power has not improved anywhere is hyperbolic we must be very fair in our assessment.
If you live in my area, i guess you would have said Jonathan is a liar. mind you generator importation has increased. don't use yourself to justify that electricity has improved. I am yet to see that where i live and my locality.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by MurphyT1: 3:35pm On Feb 05, 2013
ONCE A NAIRALANDER DONT SUPPORT SOME INTEREST HERE, AND TRY TO BE PATROTIC AND TRUTHFUL IN THIER ANALYSIS, HE/SHE BECOMES A LAPTOP CREW..SMH...@Find out my mind stings for your unintelligent conclusion
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by bubadaniel13: 3:36pm On Feb 05, 2013
To call that documentary as hypocrisy is an understatement, it was a completely wrong comparison,its an open secret that power has improved in places around the country, though we still have a long way to go but there is a glimmer of hope let's keep our fingers crossed for the better,i believe that one day it will be history especially with the power reform in place.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by takedat(m): 3:39pm On Feb 05, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by KingSolomonI: 3:47pm On Feb 05, 2013
Things aare working in Naija although at a very slow pace but abeg... we cant accept that white woman to show us that our father's trouser is torn from behind... ***hmmn...i wonder what that means sha***
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Demdem(m): 3:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
Joeadamu86: Improvement is improvement no matter how you look at it,you don't expect things to change at once it must start somewhere, to say that power has not improved anywhere is hyperbolic we must be very fair in our assessment.

if u are to consider the amount spent so far, coupled with the time frame and take a look at what we have gotten then i am not moved. Its not that we are inventing anything new. getting it done isnt rocket science. Indeed Nigerians havent gotten true value for money. infact we are even paying much more for the very little. i think Nigerians have been robbed with this marginal improvement no doubt.

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 05, 2013
The Undisputable truth at the risk of sounding Pro GEJ is that Amanpoor did a hatchet Job in that awful outing of an interview. How can a feedback of three selected Lagosians translate to a reasonable sample space of 36 states with over 160 Million Nigerians, Haba!

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Demdem(m): 3:58pm On Feb 05, 2013
Come to think of it, before retardeen increased fuel price i was paying less to fuel my generators and also paying less to NEPA.
Now with just an average of additional 1Hr power improvement every three days, i pay three times than before to Nepa and i also pay more to fuel my generators because the retardeen has increased the fuel price. Surely, i prefer the old days than current days. We are paying much more for little or negligible improvement. Thats robbery.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by apala911: 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2013
Chei!!! i can sense american conspiracy here oooo and all hands have to be on deck to ensure the progress and indivisibility of our dear Country. You know it's the same people that predicted that by 2015 Nigeria will break up, am beginning to see them walk and tailor their activities to ensuring the realization of their evil prediction. This conspiracy will not stand and will never come to pass. In the words of IBB a week ago, he said as Nigerians we must ALL WORK TOGETHER TO ENSURE THE CONTINUOUS EXISTENCE OF OUR DEAR COUNTRY. All said and done, Power generation has improved in the country and just last week, the vice president held a meeting with stakeholders in the power sector and Contractors handling transmission of power that Mr President has given a marching order that they should complete all contracts involving transmission of the power generated by the end of 2013 or be sanctioned. we all live in Nigeria, and we know how bad power supply was before now, in fairness there is improvement and one cannot just expert things to change overnight. As an evidence, in my area at Ojo/Alaba/Iyana Iba/ Volks area, power supply is far better than what it used to to be.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by bubadaniel13: 4:05pm On Feb 05, 2013
Demdem: Come to think of it, before retardeen increased fuel price i was paying less to fuel my generators and also paying less to NEPA.
Now with just an average of additional 1Hr power improvement every three days, i pay three times than before to Nepa and i also pay more to fuel my generators because the retardeen has increased the fuel price. Surely, i prefer the old days than current days. We are paying much more for little or negligible improvement. Thats robbery.
I like the little or negligible improvement used in your post at least its a stepping stone
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Demdem(m): 4:12pm On Feb 05, 2013
bubadaniel13: I like the little or negligible improvement used in your post at least its a stepping stone

even an inch is a stepping stone. No one is saying the retardeen is idle, however :

Demdem:

if u are to consider the amount spent so far, coupled with the time frame and take a look at what we have gotten then i am not moved. Its not that we are inventing anything new. getting it done isnt rocket science. Indeed Nigerians havent gotten true value for money. infact we are even paying much more for the very little. i think Nigerians have been robbed with this marginal improvement no doubt.

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by 1800bc(f): 4:13pm On Feb 05, 2013
Okoro2015:
The Undisputable truth at the risk of sounding Pro GEJ is that Amanpoor did a hatchet Job in that awful outing of an interview. How can a feedback of three selected Lagosians translate to a reasonable sample space of 36 states with over 160 Million Nigerians, Haba!

1000 likes for this man...I love you! You make use of your brains well! kiss
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Opiti99: 4:17pm On Feb 05, 2013
Change they say is the only constant thing! it is no doubt that Nigeria is currently going through a period of reformation in all her sectors. Though power is mostly important and Nigerians have not failed to admit that fact, but the question is how did the problem start in the country? Did it start just in a day? we all knw answers to that...definitely, the commitment of the present administration should modify our tots that there will be light at the end of the tunnel. So the view of Amanpoor to me, is just a calculated reminder for the government to step up their games to ensure stable power supply in the country but should not be done to sway govt efforts or to gain popularity.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Demdem(m): 4:19pm On Feb 05, 2013
Okoro2015:

Are u aware that the retardeen specifically mentioned Lagos, Abuja and i guess PH in his interview?

How many people would she have interviewed for the limited time the program was to be aired that would have been acceptable to u?

Are u insinuating that those interviewed lied or what exactly are u saying?
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 05, 2013
Just as expected. The SuperBowl Disgraceful Blackout and the embarrassment that came with it was professionally covered with a superstory of blackouts in Nigeria. America will always use diversionary propaganda to hide their own instability. SuperBowl Blackout for 35minutes in a country thats over 300yrs old is now compared to Nigeria. No single day passes without 'A gunman killing people in USA' but they broadcast about BokoHaram without mentioning their GunHaram crime scenes. Many men marrying and phucking fellow men, again America is the highest debtor in the world and even the debt ceiling is being raised 'everyday' yet Nigeria's external reserve becomes an issue. Did Amandour hear that Super Eagles just defeated the Elephants of Cote D'voire. Yes, but that is good enough to make news.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Amanpour And CNN by Noraokon: 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2013
if past administrations had improved on power supply,i think this MARGINAL IMPROVEMENT would have been MASSIVE. at least a pace has been set, gradually and surely, we will get there.
Demdem:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Amunition Nigerian Army Needs For Boko Haram / Top 10 Countries Without Military Forces / BREAKING: Boko Haram Backs Buhari For Presidency - The Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.