Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,440 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances (8728 Views)

Afcon 2021: Nigeria Squad Numbers Revealed / AFCON 2019: Super Eagles Protest Over Unpaid Bonuses / Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Joclebs(m): 8:45pm On Aug 04, 2022
By Oluwashina Okeleji
Sports Writer, Nigeria

The Nigeria squad are still waiting for the country's football federation (NFF) and Sports Ministry to settle outstanding debts from last month's Women's Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) and other training camps.

The Super Falcons boycotted training before their third-place play-off against Zambia, on 22 July, over the non-payment of both bonuses and allowances.

Each player is owed over $10,000, which includes win bonuses for their three victories en route to the semi-finals in Morocco.

The NFF insists the money will be paid soon, but one member of the squad said the players have been "told different lies".
"They said the money had been approved and will get to us in a few days' time - that was before the game against Zambia," the player told BBC Sport Africa.

"It's now gone from that to ridiculous excuses like wrong account numbers to network issues. The lies and disrespect clearly shows that they love to treat the women's team like the unwanted child.

"The Sports Ministry was always quick to celebrate our success with big statements, but since this money problem started they've been very quiet.
"Imagine if one of their own daughters was playing for Nigeria - would they treat her like that?"

BBC Sport Africa has contacted both the NFF and the Sports Ministry for comment.

Daily allowances while the team was in Morocco, totalling $2,800, and money for a pre-tournament camp in Abuja have been paid to the squad.

But along with their win bonuses in North Africa, Super Falcons players are yet to receive sums relating to trips to Austria and Canada as well as a bonus for beating Ivory Coast over two legs to qualify for the Wafcon finals.

Some players had feared they would not be paid after the tournament, but cut short their protest and finished fourth after losing 1-0 to the Copper Queens.

"The players should be getting the money this week because it's been processed," an NFF official told BBC Sport Africa on Wednesday.

Nigeria, nine-time African champions, qualified for the 2023 Women's World Cup by reaching the last four of this year's Wafcon, before then losing to hosts Morocco on penalties.

°Deja vu for Super Falcons

It is not the first time players of Africa's most successful women's side have protested over unpaid bonuses, with the Super Falcons involved in sit-in protests in hotels twice before at previous Wafcons.
The first came in South Africa in 2004 after the West Africans won the title, with another in 2016 in Abuja after claiming their eighth continental crown in Cameroon.

At the 2019 Women's World Cup in France, the players staged another sit-in protest over unpaid salaries and bonuses after their round of 16 elimination by Germany.

Each Nigeria player in Morocco is entitled to a $100 daily allowance and $6,000 for their two wins in the group stage.
Following a recent payment review, the players can also expect $5,000 for their quarter-final victory, but they missed out on proposed payments of $7,000 and $10,000 for potential victories in the semi-final and final respectively.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/62421545

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2022
Hustle hard is not in Nigeria.Your hustle go go in vain.
Dangote no hustle before he became a billionaire.Na government dey grant am tax waivers and monopoly.During covid19 lockdown his factories were in full productions.
Mark Zuckerberg no hustle before he became a billionaire.
Most billionaires made their wealth through smartness.Excluding Nigerian oil bloc owners and politicians.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by TA4TA4: 10:47am On Aug 05, 2022
Lol.... Finally naija na scam... Most of these sports men and women use their mkney to train and perfect their skills and still decide to come represent their country despite lack of support from naija...

Woe unto anyone wey get injury while representing naija... Cause OYO go be your case... Its really annoying.

Make them come hire these my guys make them pay the sports officials a friendly visit and make an offer they won't reject... Cause their body go collect. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9jZeRk5ps
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by OLOKOESHIN: 10:47am On Aug 05, 2022
Buhali
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Akfrenzy(m): 10:47am On Aug 05, 2022
grin what are they going to buy with the money ?

Is it DODO ?

EWA ?

AGBADO?

CASSAVA?

12 Likes

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by iamoyindamola(m): 10:48am On Aug 05, 2022
And we carry 1.4bn buy motor for niger grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by FalseProphet1(m): 10:48am On Aug 05, 2022
But they can buy SUVs for Niger republic. I see these wicked demons claiming to be our leaders dying miserably, I see a new and better Nigeria emerging, I see peace and harmony reigning in the land.

This I have seen.

4 Likes

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by specialmati(m): 10:48am On Aug 05, 2022
cool cool cool cool Nigeria
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 05, 2022
And these Ladies played their hearts out.

Being a Nigerian is really difficult for Majority of the folks.

SmH.

9 Likes

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Mide1data: 10:49am On Aug 05, 2022
If you ain`t surprised, hit the like and share button.

APC!!!!! change.
Which kind of change, A very bad one.

2 Likes

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by BlaqFaze: 10:50am On Aug 05, 2022
Lol... After all the stress of i must play for my father's land, dem nor go pay you bonus.
Napoli president is doing the right thing cheesy
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Shellsploit: 10:50am On Aug 05, 2022
Apc government sef
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Shawl001(m): 10:52am On Aug 05, 2022
Keep waiting o grin.
ASUU is on the wait list too.

God bless Nigeria
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Pells: 10:52am On Aug 05, 2022
It's normal cry cry
Many dues to be paid
Wait let's pay Niger Football team first lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed embarassed

1 Like

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by TimmyTen(m): 10:57am On Aug 05, 2022
The evil party keep scoring own goals ahead of 2023 general elections

1 Like

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by LOVEGINO(m): 10:58am On Aug 05, 2022
Dem go wait tire.
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Occurstaem(m): 10:59am On Aug 05, 2022
It is obvious this is nonsense.
What's wrong with NFF?
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by DeHorus: 11:00am On Aug 05, 2022
iamoyindamola:
And we carry 1.4bn buy motor for niger grin grin grin
These politicians, E get as them be again, wey I nor de ever understand.

1 Like

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Saidfx(m): 11:01am On Aug 05, 2022
FalseProphet1:
But they can buy SUVs for Niger republic. I see these wicked demons claiming to be our leaders dying miserably, I see a new and better Nigeria emerging, I see peace and harmony reigning in the land.

This I have seen.

With all the innocents blood spilled on the land, especially that of the children. No peace without justice. Nothing will happen except God Almighty in His infinite mercies remove fear from our minds. Peace!

1 Like

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by dagnop: 11:04am On Aug 05, 2022
We hardly do things right, I am sure we would get it right again
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by clockwisereport: 11:05am On Aug 05, 2022
This is the reason their former coach, Florence Omagbemi, was sacked and replaced with Randy Orton.

She protested that she be paid her outstanding salary. Now, Randy Orton, the school coach was employed and he failed woefully

2 Likes

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by Naija4love(m): 11:15am On Aug 05, 2022
As you people go take 4th place, hmmm grin grin grin this money go hard ooo grin grin but see my hands very clean

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by SEEDORF441(m): 11:17am On Aug 05, 2022
Despite the efforts, passion and determination of these girls to play for Nigeria
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by 9jaBloke: 11:17am On Aug 05, 2022
Probably part the reason for the poor performance
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by thoosing(m): 11:22am On Aug 05, 2022
Joclebs:
By Oluwashina Okeleji
Sports Writer, Nigeria

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/62421545
YOU NEED A STRONG TRAFFICKING GENERATING LANDING PAGE? CHAT ME070.3026..2041
Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by wiseone28: 11:29am On Aug 05, 2022
I don't know what is wrong with everything Nigeria..

Does it mean we can't get it right?

1 Like

Re: WAFCON 2022: Nigeria Squad Still Waiting For Unpaid Bonuses And Allowances by fredoooooo: 11:52am On Aug 05, 2022
Pinick should come out and defend this

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make 10000 With 1000 With Just Five Bet / Southampton Sack Head Coach, Ralph Hasenhuttl / Open A Nairabet Account And Get Free 7000 Naira Welcome Bonus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.