Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,048 members, 7,859,770 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:22 PM

Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) (2144 Views)

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater / Why Is Buhari In London Fews Days To Inauguration / Picture Of Flood In Lagos Today, Post Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 5:33am On Aug 03, 2011
[size=14pt]Government launches flood warning system[/size]
By Ngozi Oboh
August 3, 2011 03:09AM

As part of efforts to mitigate and control incessant flooding in the country, the federal government on Tuesday launched an automated Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS).

Anyim Pius Anyim, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, at the launch of the new technology in Abuja, stated that annual flooding experienced in most parts of the country have caused agonising human suffering and destruction of residential, agricultural, huge economic and industrial resources.

“To effectively combat this effect of climate change for sustainable development, food security and wellbeing of Nigerians, the federal government has, through the Ministry of Environment and in collaboration with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), put in place some institutional arrangement and mechanism for the establishment and operations of flood early warning system,” he said.

“The launch of the automated Web-based Flood Early Warning System today (Tuesday) marks the federal government’s undaunted commitment to flood management in the country. This non-structural approach to flood incidence becomes imperative in the face of increasing flood incidence.”

The automated Web-based Flood Early Warning system is designed to forewarn on the likelihood of flooding, thereby providing effective solution that will not only enhance the operations of relevant institution but has very high potential of reducing flood damage.

The SGF, who was represented by Bukar Tijani, Minister of State for Agriculture, also said flooding could have been prevented or, at best, mitigated.

He said the quest for development, without adequate knowledge of the negative consequences of human activities, was largely responsible for these disasters.

“Uncontrolled urban and rural development coupled with inadequate provision or blockage of drainage and canals with solid wastes, soil sediments are some of these activities,” he said.

Blame poverty

Others, he said, are unplanned and informal settlements along river flood plains. He gave as example the domestic and commercial street sweepers who engage in sweeping wastes and sand into drains and drainage grids.

Hadiza Ibrahim Mailafia, Minister of Environment, stated that the recent floods and their devastating effects on lives and properties in the country, especially in Lagos, Kano and Katsina, have brought home the need to put in operation effective flood management strategies.

“The menace of floods and erosion must be tackled by the joint efforts of all stakeholders, hence this public presentation of the automated web-based FEWS, its objective being to create awareness on the readiness of the federal ministry of environment to forecast the likelihood of floods so that in addition to other flood mitigating methods, our nation will be better equipped to prevent loss of lives and properties and save the environment,” she said.

Daouda Toure, UNDP Resident Representative, said the impacts of flood and flooding are usually environmental deterioration, which makes people more vulnerable to famine, diseases, impoverishment and landlessness.

He said poverty itself leads to poor urban planning, with houses built along the water ways and poor waste management that result in dumping of refuse in waterways.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5736822-147/story.csp
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by koruji(m): 6:10am On Aug 03, 2011
What is the URL?
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Rhino5dm: 6:58am On Aug 03, 2011
^ He he he
A small school boy will be stattion at a bank of a river and will be instructed to shout or text whenever he sees the river over-flooding.
@
I was part of the construction of a billion euros project in Sicily, Italy to automatically protect the city from any possible flood. Input variables are water level and tides which will truncate the system to shut down the heavy concrete doors. The city is save!
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Image123(m): 10:56pm On Aug 03, 2011
How much o! Web based flood warning, wahala see problemHow much o! Web based flood warning, wahala see problem
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 11:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
Grammar. lipsrsealed

"FEWS" indeed
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 12:28am On Aug 04, 2011
Image123:

How much o! Web based flood warning, wahala see problemHow much o! Web based flood warning, wahala see problem

Wow! shocked

Such an outpouring of "intelligence!" The World of science will be stunned.
Dude, you are supremely talented, can we build a shrine to worship you? LOLZZZ!!!!
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Kobojunkie: 1:17am On Aug 04, 2011
When majority of our farmers, and citizens are not online, would WEB-BASED anything really reach, even 20% of them?
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 1:34am On Aug 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

When majority of our farmers, and citizens are not online, would WEB-BASED anything really reach, even 20% of them?

Not meant for those people.

Do you expect this web-based system to replace canals and proper drainage?

Don't fall my hand

. . . . . . . Just allocate the billions.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Kobojunkie: 1:43am On Aug 04, 2011
^^^ Who is it meant for then?
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:01am On Aug 04, 2011
^^Cronies need to line their pockets.
Flood defence in a country where people use boreholes and latrines.

No layout. . . .nor guidelines . . . . nor best practices

Cart before the horse
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by OmoLisabi(m): 2:07am On Aug 04, 2011
I dey laugh o.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 2:10am On Aug 04, 2011
ola olabiy:

^^Cronies need to line their pockets.
Flood defence in a country where people use boreholes and latrines.

No layout. . . .nor guidelines . . . . nor best practices

Cart before the horse

It isn't a flood defence, but a flood warning system. It is to alert populations about severe weather conditions so they can flee on time. I imagine that the info on the website will be available to TV and radio station weather reports.
Countless numbers of people die from drowning in flood waters and countless millions in property are lost as well, year in year out. The warning system is to prevent such. If it had been in place earlier, lives would have been saved in the recent Lagos floods for instance.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 2:11am On Aug 04, 2011
OmoLisabi:

I dey laugh o.

. . .At what?
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by OmoLisabi(m): 2:20am On Aug 04, 2011
Beaf:

. . .At what?
I dey laugh at this Nigerian officials abi. In a country where less that 10% have access to the internet, i wonder why it should be Web based. I dey laugh o
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 2:21am On Aug 04, 2011
OmoLisabi:

I dey laugh at this Nigerian officials abi. In a country where less that 10% have access to the internet, i wonder why it should be Web based. I dey laugh o

Where do you suggest it should be based?
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:23am On Aug 04, 2011
Beaf:

Where do you suggest it should be based?
grin grin

Ehm . . . .ehm . . . .
I suggest Maiduguri.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 2:28am On Aug 04, 2011
koruji:

What is the URL?

Sorry for missing your post earlier bruv, this is the url; http://nigeriafews.net/
It doesn't seem to be nearly complete yet.

ola olabiy:

grin grin

Ehm . . . .ehm . . . .
I suggest Maiduguri.

Its a useful habit to know what you are laughing about before laughing, lest you expose yourself to ridicule.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:35am On Aug 04, 2011
Beaf:

Sorry for missing your post earlier bruv, this is the url; http://nigeriafews.net/

Its a useful habit to know what you are laughing about before laughing, lest you expose yourself to ridicule.

I am sure, as a programmer, you've been asked to write the codes for this FEWS. Isn't it? smiley
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Kobojunkie: 2:37am On Aug 04, 2011
^^^^^

Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 2:40am On Aug 04, 2011
ola olabiy:

I am sure, as a programmer, you've been asked to write the codes for this FEWS. Isn't it? smiley

No, I haven't. But is your Earth shaking stup1dty down to jealousy of others?
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:43am On Aug 04, 2011
Beaf:

Others like GEJ? Or a FEWS-writing programmer c.um foot soldier like you?

Answer, weirdo!
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:45am On Aug 04, 2011
Beaf:

Hey! You haven't? But, have your eyes firmly set on getting it, isn't it? smiley
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:48am On Aug 04, 2011
Where is mr Beaf?

Later, then.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 2:49am On Aug 04, 2011
ola olabiy:

Where is mr Beaf?

Later, then.

Dunce.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by olaolabiy: 2:51am On Aug 04, 2011
Beaf:

Dunce.
Mr invective.

Weirdo!
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by slimyem: 6:01am On Aug 04, 2011
web-based crap.dont have correct statictics but i doubt 20 percent of the country's population have access to internet.hw they go read it?
Besides,i dont even think that a sensible measure right since the basic problem are still staring at us in the face.Ours is the case of'leaving leprosy to cure ring-worm' .God help this country!
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Beaf: 6:31am On Aug 04, 2011
slimyem:

web-based crap.dont have correct statictics but i doubt 20 percent of the country's population have access to internet.hw they go read it?
Besides,i dont even think that a sensible measure right since the basic problem are still staring at us in the face.Ours is the case of'leaving leprosy to cure ring-worm' .God help this country!

Can you name a single country where the flood warning system is not web based?
After you have failed to do the above, would you be kind enough to suggest where the system should be based (e.g. in the market, motorpark, "my office", "my house" etc)?

Please, I'm waiting.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by Gbenge77(m): 9:02am On Aug 05, 2011
Clap for GEJ!Lol
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by homerac7: 10:14am On Aug 05, 2011
D only anomaly I see wt ds development is dt it should be only a basic working tool for NEMA, NAIMET and other related agencies. If theses agencies have come out to celebrate d creation or improvement of such tools, then I think it will be very normal, but when d almighty FG stools so low to dt, then I see it as an anomaly. Afterall NAIMET has been doing such credible jobs, maybe wt analog devices though, but at least creditably.

By the way, what percentage of Nigeria use d web for such info? Too few I guess. Even d most at risk of suffering flood have very little exposure to d web and when dey do as in case of mobile phones, its mostly for social uses and not for such. It's easy to argue dt making it available can stimulate use, but first look at our attitudes towards books, tv and newspaper, how well we flock to sports,entertainment, fashion and gossips tabloids.

It probably had made better sense if d news is dt those agencies now have those resources on Facebook,Twitter or other popular social media, then they hav better chance of reaching a slice of d target.

I expect d almighty FG to b celebrating bigger innovations and achievements, not typical departmental projects.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by dplus(m): 12:28pm On Aug 05, 2011
Na waa oo

I don tire for 9ja grammar

Automated Web - Based Flood Early Warning System.

I be programmer wetin I see different totally from FEWS na ORDINARY WEB DESIGN   i de see oooo. Please help me abi i do dey blind  cool cool.

This country self na Night of a thousand Laugther.

But in case you get connection for abuja . I can develop the following.

1. Automated web based BOKO HARAM Monitoring System.

2. Automated BOMB Monitoring System

3. Lagos Go Slow Warning System.

4. Night Travel Automated Security System.

Please Help me ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by member479760: 12:58pm On Aug 05, 2011
Fashola needs to start importation of life-jackets now, next year gonna be serious.
Re: Web-based Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) by blacksta(m): 2:33pm On Aug 05, 2011
LOL - AWOF TIME for the bedroom based web developer and Government official - Also - The website has gone offline - hopefully the Servers have not BEEN FLOODED

THE BBC weather website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/ - Can we class this one too as an Automated Flood Early Warning System

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebonyi Pays Tribute To Ojukwu / North Recruits Obasanjo To Stop Jonathan . / New Slogan "God Bless Nigeria"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.