Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,622 members, 7,816,563 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Checkout My Nairaland Clone. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Checkout My Nairaland Clone. (1134 Views)

Check Out My Nairaland Clone Website Page / Check Out My Nairaland Clone! / Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 7:50am On Aug 06, 2022
My first clone would be the popular Nairaland clone.

A fullstack app, frontend on Netlify, backend on heroku.

[url]Nairaland-clone.netlify.app[/url]

Judge my new portfolio design, tell me it's lapses from your point of view.
[url]Www.snotat.com[/url]

2 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by TastyFriedPussy: 8:35am On Aug 06, 2022
First off, who makes clones of an already shitty looking website? undecided like what are you trying to achieve? And secondly, if I'm to be brutally honest with you, that your portfolio website is the ugliest looking website I've ever seen in my life. Like what the 4uck? lipsrsealed I just can't believe that someone with 75% front end skill would build such an eyesore. 75% ohh, not even 20%. I've seen 1000 times better portfolio sites even from devs who've only been learning front end web development for only 6months, not to talk of someone claiming to have 70% front end skills.. Guy, that thing is ugly and looks
extremely unprofessional..

My rating?
-10/10

4 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Ikechukwu183: 8:45am On Aug 06, 2022
Snotat:

I am really wondering what you were trying to achieve by cloning Nairaland. Because if you were doing so by coding with your head without any assistance, I would give you thumbs up. But, if you really wanted to replicate Nairaland, then it's thumbs down. Why? It's because you simply could have copied the source code of nairaland and get the exact 'carbon-copy'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 9:13am On Aug 06, 2022
Ikechukwu183:

I am really wondering what you were trying to achieve by cloning Nairaland. Because if you were doing so by coding with your head without any assistance, I would give you thumbs up. But, if you really wanted to replicate Nairaland, then it's thumbs down. Why? It's because you simply could have copied the source code of nairaland and get the exact 'carbon-copy'.
Ohh, I did it all by myself actually, I got tired at some point, after several hours writing the scrapper with puppeteer, I couldn't deploy it on heroku, after some days, I rewrite the code with cheerio, and it's even faster. Having clones of popular websites on ones portfolio nowadays is one of the things employers looks for. You are talking about copying Html and css source code from the inspector or a web tools, isn't it?
A clone should work like a real site actually, that updates itself. The clone is not static, you can check back later to see .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 9:14am On Aug 06, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
First off, who makes clones of an already shitty looking website? undecided like what are you trying to achieve? And secondly, if I'm to be brutally honest with you, that your portfolio website is the ugliest looking website I've ever seen in my life. Like what the 4uck? lipsrsealed I just can't believe that someone with 75% front end skill would build such an eyesore. 75% ohh, not even 20%. I've seen 1000 times better portfolio sites even from devs who've only been learning front end web development for only 6months, not to talk of someone claiming to have 70% front end skills.. Guy, that thing is ugly and looks

My rating?
-10/10
Alright, thanks.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by mrfizy(m): 9:18am On Aug 06, 2022
Your portfolio website looks like 90s website.
Get the fuckin monitor off the site and the mono background image should be discarded.It may be better if sections have different background image or background color.
Thanks.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by jbreezy: 9:20am On Aug 06, 2022
Lol if you no get strong heart, no come nairaland come show off your work ooh. Some people's comments might let you quit your career.

3 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 9:22am On Aug 06, 2022
mrfizy:
Your portfolio website looks like 90s website.
Get the fuckin monitor off the site and the mono background image should be discarded.It may be better if sections have different background image or background color.
Thanks.
okay , thanks
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by jikins(m): 9:45am On Aug 06, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:

My rating?
-10/10

Una nor get joy for this nairaland. It's very clear he is not good at designs. I was like that when I started. Op try to get portfolio templates online then change one or two stuff to suit your use case. Also like some of the bosses here normally say. Try building real world projects that people can use. Cloning nairaland in my opinion isn't something you spend your time on.

Also try building designs on frontend mentors this greatly help me to better understand designs and how to convert most designs to mobile if I was only given desktop design. But all in all kept pushing you can only get better
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by noxy1962(m): 10:00am On Aug 06, 2022
Don’t be discouraged by those baselessly criticizing your work and website. There’s nothing wrong with cloning “Nairaland”, it surely helped you learn something new and that’s what is important in my own opinion.
Your portfolio website doesn’t look back either, in fact I must say kudos to your use of animation though you might want to reduce it a bit because a lot of it may distract users from the main contents. Also you might want improve on it’s accessibility and background colors.

3 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 10:20am On Aug 06, 2022
jikins:

Una nor get joy for this nairaland. It's very clear he is not good at designs. I was like that when I started. Op try to get portfolio templates online then change one or two stuff to suit your use case. Also like some of the bosses here normally say. Try building real world projects that people can use. Cloning nairaland in my opinion isn't something you spend your time on.

Also try building designs on frontend mentors this greatly help me to better understand designs and how to convert most designs to mobile if I was only given desktop design. But all in all kept pushing you can only get better
Thanks.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by aktem(m): 10:20am On Aug 06, 2022
Op, frontend is not your calling o.
Your porfolio website no be am at all.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 10:20am On Aug 06, 2022
noxy1962:
Don’t be discouraged by those baselessly criticizing your work and website. There’s nothing wrong with cloning “Nairaland”, it surely helped you learn something new and that’s what is important in my own opinion.
Your portfolio website doesn’t look back either, in fact I must say kudos to your use of animation though you might want to reduce it a bit because a lot of it may distract users from the main contents. Also you might want improve on it’s accessibility and background colors.
Thanks.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Snotat: 10:21am On Aug 06, 2022
aktem:
Op, frontend is not your calling o.
Your porfolio website no be am at all.
Okay thanks
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Qinglong(m): 12:34pm On Aug 06, 2022
Not that I'm really a programmer, but I've seen Indians and other Asians on Twitter getting remote frontend jobs with projects and designs that are honestly not any better than what the OP has.

They just do a Udemy bootcamp and put generic projects on their portfolio and they get remote jobs. I mean, stuff like calculators and random quote generators. Sometimes, I see amazing web apps from Nairalanders and I wonder how they're not as fortunate in their job search.

The thing is that they always make sure to learn DSA and advise their followers to do the same. So I think that's the most important thing for programmers first and foremost. People with apparently subpar frontend skills are getting jobs out there with DSA.

5 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 06, 2022
OP no mind them... u actually tried

Believe me, those commenting negatively above don't have even calculator project on their portfolio just click on their profile and previous post and you'll be consoled

I'm saying you tried because of the scrapper u built lol.
It's really frustrating after writing the script and heroku don't let you host it... I know because I had written a scrapper with same puppeteer and nightmare.js for days and they didn't let me host it.

Fact u had to rewrite is impressive.

You know programming ... but your UI skills sucks.

Maybe you're a backend developer.

4 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by airsaylongcome: 1:41pm On Aug 06, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Believe me, those commenting negatively above don't have even calculator project on their portfolio just click on their profile and previous post and you'll be consoled

It's really frustrating after writing the script and heroku don't let you host it... I know because I had written a scrapper with same puppeteer and nightmare.js for days and they didn't let me host it.

Come write inec Scrapper for me na
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:18pm On Aug 06, 2022
Qinglong:
Not that I'm really a programmer, but I've seen Indians and other Asians on Twitter getting remote frontend jobs with projects and designs that are honestly not any better than what the OP has.

They just do a Udemy bootcamp and put generic projects on their portfolio and they get remote jobs. I mean, stuff like calculators and random quote generators. Sometimes, I see amazing web apps from Nairalanders and I wonder how they're not as fortunate in their job search.

The thing is that they always make sure to learn DSA and advise their followers to do the same. So I think that's the most important thing for programmers first and foremost. People with apparently subpar frontend skills are getting jobs out there with DSA.

When he talk they go remove our head grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by JoyousFurnitire(m): 4:06pm On Aug 06, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Please give the phone back to the original owner grin

The original great Igbo man go don mud the OP grin

But really I wonder where those discrediting the OP left their brain. They don't know there is a lot to learn from the backend of that project? undecided

That project could get him a role.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Hannania(m): 5:22pm On Aug 06, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:

My rating?
-10/10
Zero Joy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Hannania(m): 5:25pm On Aug 06, 2022
Snotat:

Firstly, it's ok to replicate designs and prove your skills. It shows you know how to use your developer tools to "pip" designs grin

Secondly, you really need to take design classes on your front end. You seems to lack affinity with colours

3 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by airsaylongcome: 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2022
JoyousFurnitire:

Please give the phone back to the original owner grin

The original great Igbo man go don mud the OP
grin

But really I wonder where those discrediting the OP left their brain. They don't know there is a lot to learn from the backend of that project? undecided

That project could get him a role.

I swear! Great Igbo man wey I know go don slaughter the guy head, pound am then use an do manure

1 Like

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by TastyFriedPussy: 6:00pm On Aug 06, 2022
Hannania:
Zero Joy cheesy
me I no dey like lie for pesin when it comes to stuff like this... If the thing good, I go tell am sey e good..

2 Likes

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by JoyousFurnitire(m): 7:07pm On Aug 06, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I swear! Great Igbo man wey I know go don slaughter the guy head, pound am then use an do manure

Lmao grin
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Ajibade123(m): 9:57pm On Aug 06, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:

My rating?
-10/10
I just checked your profile and I saw that you are about to start your own tech journey
it so bad you made comments like this on another person's post out of pure hate and dishonesty

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by Fourpockets: 1:04am On Aug 07, 2022
Snotat:

I don't know wtf is going on in your portfolio website that makes it hard for me to scroll
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by SavageBoy: 6:06am On Aug 07, 2022
Ajibade123:

I just checked your profile and I saw that you are about to start your own tech journey
it so bad you made comments like this on another person's post out of pure hate and dishonesty

Don't mind the guy.

The guy will be no better than the OP in the future. And come to think of it, the yeye trash talker is just barley starting his tech journey. We'll be here waiting for the time when he will ask us to rate his design work.

Even if you want to criticize someone, do so constructively. If there is nothing to commend the op about, at least commend him for the effort he put into building something.

That's one thing I hate about we Africans, we're just too quick dampen the zeal of fellow black folks like us... feeling like alpha and omega

@op didn't mind the trash talkers. You tried. Continue putting in the effort, with time you'll improve and get better.
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by motionarena: 6:57am On Aug 07, 2022
Snotat:

Like the way you where able to make use of effects to make ur portfolio site interactive.

You need to work on your use of colors and images to make d site mor professional.
Good work!
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 4:32am On Aug 08, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:

My rating?
-10/10
There are better ways of passing your message without being degrading

1 Like

Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by dodgelord: 12:26pm On Aug 09, 2022
Snotat:

grin grin
Re: Checkout My Nairaland Clone. by RepoMan007: 1:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:

My rating?
-10/10
you clearly lack insight about front end inspirations. Front end at times needs to just be neat looking and light weight. In Nairaland's case, that's what is needed. If you go all the way to include topic images, multiple fonts, icons & CSS for frameworks then average front page size rises to above 300kb. Imagine all the traffic here daily multiplies by that. Cost of hosting such a design, would almost, if not, eat all the revenue from adverts. Nairaland isn't shiity looking but minimalistic in nature.

@topic, grab a screen shot of your desigh in large screen(above 1280px), medium screen, between (700px and 1200px) and then small screens, all separately. Upload them here and let's appraise for you.

(1) (Reply)

Learn C++ & Java Programming / Programming - Help Urgently Needed!!! / Fellow PHP Developers, Help Me Look In This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.