Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

When Is Fasting Really Fasting? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Is Fasting Really Fasting? (16001 Views)

Does Fasting Really Starts By 12am? / RCCG Annual Fasting And Prayer February 2013 ( Prayer Guide) / Fasting To Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by berrye(f): 3:05pm On Aug 03, 2011
Please, this thread is not intended to incite any trouble. I was arguing with a friend earlier today about certain people who claim to be fasting 6-to-6 and wake up by 5:30am to eat just before 6am. I believe that fasting is a voluntary abstinence from food (or other pleasures) for a period of time. Is fasting supposed to be a voluntary abstinence or an abstinence because u are not hungry for food since you have eaten just before the time of fasting?
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Sweetnecta: 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are not starting any trouble. You question is fair based on your knowledge:

Before Jesus, there were people who have fasted. None of them fasted for an extended period except that they were commanded to fast.

Moses, you must be familiar with his fast; He fasted for 40 days. He was commanded to fast 30 days first, then another 10 days because he ate a flavored leaves to mask the smell of fast in his mouth.

It was this 40 days that Jesus fasted in the fashion of Moses. Jesus followed and obeyed Moses in this respect and many more in the laws and the prophets.

Now as to the muslims fast; it is also a command that they fast in the month of Ramadhan. it usually lasts for 29 or 30 days, not more not less. It is only in the tropics, the band between the tropical of Cancer and Capricorn that their dawn is just about 5.30 am and their dusk about 6. 30 pm. In any area outside the tropics, eg towards the north and south poles, their fast is extreme; for example Australia, New Zealand are in Winter right now with short daylight. Their fast may just be as short as 6.30am to 4.30 pm because these are the dawn and dusk period.

In Northern Europe, it is summer and the daylight hour is long so the fast may actually begin at say 2.30 am to about 9.30 pm today. Here in North East of America, our dawn is 4.27 am today and our dusk is 8.10 pm. You are fasting in this period.

Now about fasting; If you fast 20 minutes, the pang of the hunger and weariness of fasting can catch you. Ramadhan is so because it is commanded by God and not the voluntary fast you create for yourself. Ramadhan is like daily salah, and yearly zakat and hajj. each is commanded and has its time, and process.

a fasting woman who sees her period even 1 hour or shorter to the dusk when she should break the fast, must break her fast right away. She is not obligated to fast or pray during the time of her period. if when her period stops is only 2 hours or shorter before dusk, she will enter the fast of that day immediately by stopping to eat, go to the showers and take the end of monthly period bath. she will receive the reward of the fast of that day.

The biggest thing in Islam is after acknowledging God, obedience to Him is the essence of belief.

thanks for your question about Islam in a round about way. There is no doubt that obedience to God is purer than doing the same action because you just want to do it for your own personal reason.

the mondays and thurdays weekly fasts and the 3 days of the full moon, are voluntary fasts for the pleasure of God. Ramadhan and the fast on the day of Hajj [arafat] are commanded.
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Micuilles: 9:02am On Aug 04, 2011
@ sweetnecta

Madam, stop decieving yourself. God did not tell you anything. Morning starts from 12am (After midnight) and ends 12pm (past morning) any where in the world. Normally, because of the nature of my job, I take my breakfast (gotten from Break-Fast) at 5;30am evryday because I resume work at 6am.

If after you've eaten dinner between 6pm & 9.pm a day before, and take your breakfast before 6.am, you don't say you're fasting because you already took your Break-fast in the morning i.e. between 12am & 12pm (noon) it is normal. If you want to fast, try not to eat break fast between 12am & 12noon. Don't blame anything on God & stop decieving yourself. Infact, in Africa, if you eat between 12am & 12noon, you can decide not to eat lunch & take dinner after 6pm. It is called 1:0:1.
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by assem: 9:33am On Aug 04, 2011
In Islam, Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):

To testify that none has the right to be worshiped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's Messenger.
To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.
To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .
To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)
To observe fast during the month of Ramadan,
, [Bukhari],
SO, Since Islam means submission to Allah, we have no other choice but to submit ourselves to Allah and obey His commandments. It is from the mercy of Allah towards us that while He prescribed on us fasting He also showed us the greatness of fasting in this world and in the hereafter to make it beloved to us.
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Sweetnecta: 11:26am On Aug 04, 2011
@Micuilles: Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting?
« #2 on: Today at 09:02:37 AM »
@ sweetnecta

Madam,[quote][/Quote]Its Mr.

[Quote] stop decieving yourself. God did not tell you anything.[/Quote]You have the credentials to prove this?

[Quote] Morning starts from 12am (After midnight) and ends 12pm (past morning) any where in the world. Normally, because of the nature of my job, I take my breakfast (gotten from Break-Fast) at 5;30am evryday because I resume work at 6am.[/Quote]Okay. Maybe i find the usefulness of this info to the topic below. Otherwise is a waste of time. Useless information.

[Quote]If after you've eaten dinner between 6pm & 9.pm [/b]a day before, and take your breakfast before [b]6.am, you don't say you're fasting because you already took your Break-fast in the morning i.e. between 12am & 12pm (noon) it is normal. [/Quote]Who gave you this information as standard worldwide? This is similar to a man that a specific food group is meant for breakfast as if you can't pancake for dinner; ask the Chairman of IHOP, where he made his millions if not billions. Mr. your idea is for the ignorant. The One Who sets standard and His "setting" is correct is God, alone and no one else. While God made situation very restrictive for the Children of israel because of their own stiff-neck, Allah made ease for the muslims because we are a nation that says "we hear and we obey, forgive us our sins, oh God". Let me give you an example; The Jews we at the end forbidden to do any work on sabbath. Muslims can do work before and after Friday prayer. See the difference? Why? Just to show you obedience and disobedience: The Jews [then known as children of israel] were liberated from the yoke of Pharaoh, pharaoh was drowned. No sooner that they had a taste of freedom, they raised for themselves dissatisfaction of what they were eating free of charge without working for it; manna and quail; they wanted more, even ful-mudamas [beans] from Egypt. They topped their evilness up by creating a god in shape of cow from stolen gold from egyptians. Jesus and his disciples were from this stock.

Now pick up Quran and read it. You will not find where the muslims say they were tired of the condition that God give them, instead they say Alhamdulillah Shukrillah niamati Rabbi. You can now see why we do not have to suffer fasting like stiff necked people; you who still after seeing the ease of islam that God has bestowed as Mercy on all of us, you still insisting on having 3 gods, trying to deceive me that you have 1 God when i know that there is a big difference between 1 and 3; additional 200% of the original 1 is what 3 has above 1.

what is strange though in your fasting idea is that you do not know that when you sleep at night, you are fasting because you are not eating, drinking, etc. but it is during the dawn and dusk hours that humans, all over the world are active engaged in life and living; by sight, taste, acute smell, conscious torch, etc. in fact all senses are alive and one is blame worthy for any transgression. when you restrict yourself there from eating, drinking, sex, etc but engage in what God commands, this is better than your midday snack and your suffering yourself from not eating for 24 hours that you call dry fast. Who prescribed dry fast for you; Jesus who must follow Moses laws and prophetic office, or yourself?

[Quote]If you want to fast, try not to eat break fast between 12am & 12noon. Don't blame anything on God & stop decieving yourself. Infact, in Africa, if you eat between 12am & 12noon, you can decide not to eat lunch & take dinner after 6pm. It is called 1:0:1.[/Quote]Islam is more than Africa. In europe right now the summer sun does not set until after 8. same with north east of US. if you eat before the sun sets in these two locations, if only by 2 minutes, you lost your fast. i am still wondering if the bible gives ruling for fasting; wet or dry fast? thank you for stepping ignorantly into that trap. i enjoyed your contribution.
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Micuilles: 3:26pm On Aug 04, 2011
@ sweetnecta

Ok Holy mallam. You can go ahead & eat while you observe your wet, dry or moist fasting. I can now see why your kind are mostly suicide bombers all over the world. Don't worry, the more "Infidels" you & your causins (Boko Haram and the likes), blast into pieces, the more sweetnectas you recieve when you arrive in Hell.

Better surrender your life to Jesus. The one who gave his life for the world & stop running arround blabbing about what your politician Uncle Mohammed forced your ancestors to practice as religion. angry angry angry
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by PastorKun(m): 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2011
=)) A girl fell down from 80th floor.A boy caught her on 65th floor n asked her: "Will you hug me?"She replied:"No"The boy dropped her.She was caught on 30th floor by another boy.He asked her:"Will you kiss me?"She replied,"No not at all"He dropped her too.She prayed for a last chance when a boy caught her on 5th floor. She immediately said,"I will hug you and kiss u"The boy dropped her saying,"Astaghfirullah!I'm fasting
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Sweetnecta: 12:42am On Aug 05, 2011
@Micuilles; « #5 on: Yesterday at 03:26:24 PM »
[Quote]@ sweetnecta

Ok Holy mallam. You can go ahead & eat while you observe your wet, dry or moist fasting. I can now see why your kind are mostly suicide bombers all over the world. Don't worry, the more "Infidels" you & your causins (Boko Haram and the likes), blast into pieces, the more sweetnectas you recieve when you arrive in Hell.[/Quote]Unless 1 Timothy 5 verse 8 is in the Quran, please what it says [proving to you that Islam has no use for it, but it was from the chrstians, like lies, if you say them enough they will become truth in the minds of who do not know];

King James Bible
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

American King James Version
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

origin of the word; infidel [source from wikipedia]; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel - Cached
The origins of the word Infidel date to the late 15th century, deriving from the French "infidèle" or Latin "infidelis", from in- 'not' + fidelis 'faithful' ,

@Micuilles and Pastor Kun: [Quote]Better surrender your life to Jesus. The one who gave his life for the world & stop running arround blabbing about what your politician Uncle Mohammed forced your ancestors to practice as religion. Angry Angry Angry
Report to moderator Logged
Pastor Kun

Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting?
« #6 on: Yesterday at 09:45:48 PM »

=)) A girl fell down from 80th floor.A boy caught her on 65th floor n asked her: "Will you hug me?"She replied:"No"The boy dropped her.She was caught on 30th floor by another boy.He asked her:"Will you kiss me?"She replied,"No not at all"He dropped her too.She prayed for a last chance when a boy caught her on 5th floor. She immediately said,"I will hug you and kiss u"The boy dropped her saying,"Astaghfirullah!I'm fasting[/Quote]members of the jury, it is unfortunate that each boy dropped her. either for her nobility or for her waywardness. my question is this; which of the boys is closer to Jesus in quality of the heart and of tongue?
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by N101: 5:00am On Aug 05, 2011
There are different types of fasting. Because one person/group of people do it X way does not make it the ONLY way to fast. Neither does it make it more valid than any other type of fast.

So long as you focus on the purpose of the fast and not your next meal, you will achieve your spiritual objective. Whatever type of fast we choose, God ultimately knows our hearts and motives.
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Sweetnecta: 6:23am On Aug 05, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^ if fasting was not commanded by God with and gives us the value or virtues of fasting, i would not be doing it.

what is the recommendation and value or virtues of fasting in your religion? your God must ave commanded it and gives hint of its possible rewards and benefits? may be your prophet gave this information to your religious community?

Islam has enough on fasting. you will find info in Quran and the Hadith/Sunnah.
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Chadans(f): 12:30am On Jan 21, 2022
Please i want to ask, can someone still go on with fasting after eating by 12am?
Re: When Is Fasting Really Fasting? by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Jan 21, 2022
Chadans:
Please i want to ask, can someone still go on with fasting after eating by 12am?
You can structure your diet plan anyhow you like. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Adeboye Declares ‘war’ On Boko Haram / The Origin of Na.kedness / I’ll Query Any Pastor Who Hosts Comedians In Church — Assemblies Of God Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.