Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,002 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria (3841 Views)

IGP Demotes DPO After Beating Female Traffic Warden In Ogun / Durojaiye, An Exemplary New Nigerian / Immigrants Working As Traffic Warden In London - Channel 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by seanet02: 7:47pm On Aug 03, 2011
Monday, 01 August 2011

Recently there was a salutary development involving some officials of the Oyo State police command in Ibadan and an ordinary Nigerian. The incident again brought the police to the limelight but this time round, for a good reason. Ayotunde Akanbi, a graduate of the Department of Fine and Applied Art of the Ladoke Akintola University of Science Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomosho, Oyo State, had reportedly gone to school to complete his clearance in readiness for participating in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme. While in transit between Ogbomosho and Lagelu Estate in Ibadan, where he resides, he misplaced his purse containing some vital documents and N8,000 cash. Unfortunately, he did not know that he had lost the purse until he got home, and worse still, he could not remember where in particular the purse got missing. Akanbi reported the matter at the Orita Challenge police station, Ibadan, where he was requested to obtain an affidavit from a customary court but that could not be done because it was a Saturday.

Meanwhile, the young man was to leave for Adamawa State for the NYSC camping the following Tuesday and one of the items in the purse that was missing was the university identification card which is critical to admitting prospective corps members to the NYSC camp. For this reason in particular, Akanbi was greatly troubled but his travail yielded ground to pleasant surprise and joy, when the police got in touch with him and informed him that the purse had been found with all the contents intact.

The officer at the root of this most welcome development is Yinusa Ojo, a police corporal and traffic warden, who found the wallet and reported to his superiors who followed up on the matter, and did the right thing all the way. Ojo and those other officers deserved to be commended for bringing smiles on the faces of many a Nigerian and for reassuring them that all hopes are not lost regarding the integrity of the most important law enforcement agency in a democracy — the police.

And, of course, the police should celebrate their members who have, by their action, proved that it is inappropriate to continue to describe everything about the service in the negative.

In another clime, Ojo’s action would have passed unnoticed because he would have been regarded as performing his duties as specified in the books. But in an environment where members of the service are known to have killed poor and innocent Nigerians for failing to give them as little as N20 at checkpoints, a member who returned N8,000 must be a rare breed. One can still remember with pain and sorrow the story of the tragic end that befell some ram traders from Ondo State, when they ran into a police checkpoint on Okene-Abuja road a few years ago. The traders were reportedly carrying huge sums of money when their car was stopped by the police. The police discovered the huge cash while carrying out perfunctory search on the passengers in the vehicle. The police, it was alleged, yielded to the temptation of filthy lucre. And they did the abominable to achieve their ignoble end: they allegedly killed the traders in a gruesome manner and set them and their vehicle ablaze.

The horrendous incident would have passed for an accident but for a lone survivor who told the atrocious story of how the law enforcement agents turned into armed robbers and became murderers in a bid to cover their ignoble tracks. There are quite a few damning reports such as this. Thus, in a clime like this, one should be proud of Ojo and his ilk in the police force that have chosen to be different.

WE invite the superiors of Ojo to take note of this quality and exemplary officer and reward him appropriately, so as to be a good example for others.

Nigerians will not want the superlative performance of Ojo to be a flash in the pan. It is hoped, and that will be indeed gladdening, if Ojo and his superiors that passed the integrity test are the face of the new police force Nigerians should expect.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/editorial/25903-ojo-an-exemplary-traffic-warden
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by gidson12(m): 9:20pm On Aug 03, 2011
rubish!! So returning 8000 was worth writing an article for,
and this tribalistic imb.ecile was quick to post it because he saw a yoruba name, to earn cheap score
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
@tHE POSTER, HOW COME YOU ARE NOW THE MOST INSULTED NAIRALANDER.
Something is really wrong for all this insults to be flying in from all and sundry. Examine your self.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by redsun(m): 10:08pm On Aug 03, 2011
The poster is a joke actually but that aside,d Ojo is person of intergrity at any standard
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by OmoLisabi(m): 10:30pm On Aug 03, 2011
gidson12:

and this tribalistic imb.ecile was quick to post it because he saw a yoruba name, to earn cheap score
So an ibo man will have keep the money for akpu abi? You don kolo
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 1:22am On Aug 04, 2011
OmoLisabi:

So an ibo man will have keep the money for akpu abi? You don kolo

Anuofia, no go and put your house in order, no be una obas, opc leadership and una so scholars wey collect money shun Abiola? "Holier than thou people" indeed
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by fuke(m): 5:54am On Aug 04, 2011
gidson12:

Yours is the real  rubbish. One Naira returned honestly is worth reporting.

The same police kill for N20.

You are free to report it when an Ibo man returns N200
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by KDULAR: 7:01am On Aug 04, 2011
Justice Oputa said something like there is nothing wrong in ethnicity but the way we practice it in this country. I'm ashamed of really some people, so quick to post obnoxious ethics biased comment over anything. Returning 8000 naira and helping some one in a desperate and one of life determing situation ( at least in Nigeria). Moreover, rather than see a human being doing something that you can make an example to your kids, siblings, relative and community to appreciate and emulate, you turn the commendable ACT often preached as a virtue in churches and wished our politicians civilo servants and leaders in general imbibe, to ridicule just because you want to score a tribal point. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry angry
Some people had said that Most literates in Nigeria aren't EDUCATED and you gidson12 has really proven that. May God help you and your likes cause we are doomed having yours around to continue to perpetrate angry angry angry angry
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 04, 2011
gidson12:

Hit your head on the fall if you like,this shows that there is still honesty in yorubaland than your God-forsaken villages !
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 8:26am On Aug 04, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Hit your head on the fall if you like,this shows that there is still honesty in yorubaland than your God-forsaken villages !

haha honesty? i laugh in oshimili, is this meant to boost your pride after we now know say from ooni to the obas to your revered adesanya and ige all chop money to put una under maintenance,

well you are allowed to regain your pride with this one, hip hip hurray an olodowa found N8K and returned oooo weee all olodOWAS ARE NOW HONEST
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by lexicon(m): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2011
igbo boy:

haha honesty? i laugh in oshimili, is this meant to boost your pride after we now know say from ooni to the obas to your revered adesanya and ige all chop money to put una under maintenance,

well you are allowed to regain your pride with this one, hip hip hurray an olodowa found N8K and returned oooo weee all olodOWAS ARE NOW HONEST

Only a dumb will believe a cooked up story like dis !
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by Arkhin(m): 9:27am On Aug 04, 2011
People are indeed sick in this country! To have read ethnic sentiments into this post is senseless,absurd and most foolish.The post was basically for the police in general,the poster never said Yoruba policeman for Chrissake. This only shows our unity is forced and people don't trust each other. Pass sensible comments and if you have no opinion, keep the hell quiet!
angry angry angry
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 04, 2011
lexicon:

He's got too much akpu in his head.call it brain mal-function !
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by llexie: 10:11am On Aug 04, 2011
when a man is fed with so much lies everyday, he can hardly know what is right again.@lexicom you need to change ur friends
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by ojuyobo111: 11:06am On Aug 04, 2011
Even if the money is 1 kobo the good side of it is that there are still some good elements in our police force.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by atasteve: 11:07am On Aug 04, 2011
Nigeria is changing, I pray the change goes round through all the levels of government.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by ozoluaohis(m): 12:24pm On Aug 04, 2011
It's amazing how we tend to always argue or analyse issues with tribal tendencies. Haba! can't we just see things objectively? Whatever happened to looking at issues from a holistic point of view? We clamor for change, progress, peace and development, yet we just can't see beyond our noses. I tell you, we as a people are not ready for change. Its an article on the very few individuals in the Nigerian Police Force who stand out as examples of positive element. Don't turn it into a "na Yoruba man, omo igbo, onye Hausa" platform!!!
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by lagcity(m): 12:28pm On Aug 04, 2011
i commend the guy. but these kind of policemen do not get to the top. they are usually killed by their fellow policemen during patrol. dem go say na armed robber kill am.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by maxtop(m): 12:54pm On Aug 04, 2011
gidson12:

U need to have your head examined. What has Yoruba got to do with what the poster was saying. He is just letting us know that afterall we still have disciplined and dedicated officers among Nigerian Police despited there shock behaviour towards the masses, Copy that dumb ass ?!!
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by aljharem3: 12:58pm On Aug 04, 2011
gidson12:

u must be sick in the head with this ur tribalistic igbotic ranting

typical ideeiot

where did you see yoruba in the topic
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by lexicon(m): 1:16pm On Aug 04, 2011
llexie:

when a man is fed with so much lies everyday, he can hardly know what is right again.@lexicom you need to change your friends

How ?
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by fm7070: 2:31pm On Aug 04, 2011
gidson12:

You're a very senseless, ungrateful, insincere, stvpid and tribalistic person on this forum.
How I wish you're in that guy's shoes, then, you will appreciate what Ojo has done.
Whoever does well, let's praise them. Whoever does otherwise, let's scold them irrespective of their tribe, language or colour.
Mr. Ojo, God bless you whereever you are. Your children will not suffer.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 12:47am On Aug 05, 2011
lexicon:

and only an OLODOWA will not believe a story that their revered obas oonis adesanya ige and co made abiola death day their pay day,
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by OmoLisabi(m): 7:56am On Aug 05, 2011
igbo boy:

and only an OLODOWA will not believe a story that their revered obas oonis adesanya ige and co made abiola death day their pay day,
Kedu? How market? Se market dey move for Alaba
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by Blokyll(f): 8:49am On Aug 05, 2011
I rly do nt =-? Dis unwarranted attack on d Yoruba nation is necessary, nowhere did d poster in his post insult other tribes either directly or subtly, he only reported an incident worthy of commendation, *shakes head*, na wa ooo, mr ibo tribalist,do learn to take life easy.all this venom aint good,swthart,for ur soul!
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by OmoLisabi(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2011
Blokyll:

I rly do nt =-? Dis unwarranted attack on d Yoruba nation is necessary, nowhere did d poster in his post insult other tribes either directly or subtly, he only reported an incident worthy of commendation, *shakes head*, na wa ooo, mr ibo tribalist,do learn to take life easy.all this venom aint good,swthart,for your soul!
GBAM
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by dammytosh: 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2011
TAKE 8,000 or report it and get COMMENDATION and NEXT PROMOTION.

I REMEMBER AU I STEAL PENCIL WAY BACK IN PRIMARY SCHOOL, GIVE IT TO MY HEAD MASTER SO THAT I CAN WIN MOST HONEST STUDENT AWARD. IT ALMOST WORKED.

- My Opinion.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by gfarinho: 2:37pm On Aug 05, 2011
igbo boy:

olofo omo ibo, go nd join your fellow okrika sellers @ yaba.u tribalistic motherfucker, angry
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 2:44pm On Aug 05, 2011
Ozodinmgbas at it again.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 5:05am On Aug 06, 2011
gfarinho:

olofo omo ibo, go nd join your fellow okrika sellers @ yaba.u tribalistic NaughtyPerson, angry

nna mehn yes o i am a confirmed nwa igbo to the fullest i rock it like say my life depended on it, Even my moniker says it all, I am igbo and very very proud of it,

Unfortunately i wont be joining okrika sellers at yaba (where is that?) I am from delta state and aint no place called yaba,

I am tribalistic i agree (neva had denied that b4 so stop acting brand new),

you are an ofe mmanu, a confirmed OLODOwa, an Yoruba pesin so stop dishing out orders,
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by seanet02: 5:12am On Aug 06, 2011
igbo boy:

nna mehn yes o i am a confirmed nwa igbo to the fullest i rock it like say my life depended on it, Even my moniker says it all, I am igbo and very very proud of it,

Unfortunately i wont be joining okrika sellers at yaba (where is that?) I am from delta state and aint no place called yaba,

I am tribalistic i agree (neva had denied that b4 so stop acting brand new),

you are an ofe mmanu, a confirmed OLODOwa, an Yoruba pesin so stop dishing out orders,
Yanmirin the kidnapper. I know in your history you have never heard of trust so i do not really care about your rabble rousing.
Re: Ojo: An Exemplary Honest Traffic Warden In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 5:16am On Aug 06, 2011
seanet02:

Yanmirin the kidnapper. I know in your history you have never heard of trust so i do not really care about your rabble rousing.

Chai chineke ekwe kwala ihe ojoor o, An ofe manu whose ooni and obas sold their kinsman for $200million is telling me about trust, Nothing i no go hear from these ofe mmanu's mouth,

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Igbo Youths Join MASSOB & IPOB Because Of Boko Haram Prisoners. / Igbo And Yoruba Unity In Process! / Tinubu Releases Names Of 47 Ambassador Nominees, Ekiti State Get Two Slots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.