Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

MBA Diary: California Dreamin' - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / MBA Diary: California Dreamin' (1055 Views)

M.sc. (business) Management Or An MBA / Your Views - London School Of Business And Finance (lsbf) Mba / Mba At Lagos Business School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MBA Diary: California Dreamin' by mbulela: 9:17pm On Aug 03, 2011
Applying to business school can take over your whole life says Temi Olatunde

“THIS should be straightforward,” I thought, after deciding to apply for an MBA. With a degree from a renowned British university and several years’ work experience in a leading investment bank, I believed I knew how to get into a top MBA programme. You’ve probably already guessed that securing a place at business school proved to be more testing than I anticipated.

Selecting my target schools was not an issue. I wanted to look beyond the smoke and mirrors of GMAT averages, salary stats, career placement profiles, student satisfaction surveys and rankings. I honed in on the schools which would take me out of my comfort zone. I was drawn to Stanford Graduate School of Business. Its programme was rigorous and its Silicon Valley location appealing. But most importantly it was also flexible, allowing me the latitude to craft my academic experience.

The first challenge was juggling the twin demands of my banking job—where I’d just changed roles—and GMAT preparation. I became GMAT-obsessed, poring over Stanford’s stats and playing the odds game in my head. But two weeks’ immersion, with no semblance of a social life, was enough to get me over this initial hurdle while retaining my sanity.

December was tough. My Christmas holiday in Cape Town was hijacked by the application process. Even obtaining recommendations—which I had anticipated would be one of the easier parts—posed a challenge, as I struggled to persuade my closest mentors of the value of an MBA. Equity-derivatives trading, it seems, is not a normal background for an MBA aspirant. Then the pressure of impending deadlines and incomplete essays intensified. The hallmark Stanford question “What matters most to you and why?”, which is often cited as the most difficult of all business school application essays, plagued my every waking hour. I worked to craft a compelling essay that both told my unique story and reinforced my “personal brand”. Knowing the answer was not enough, it had to be woven seamlessly into my overall application.

Panic set in the night before the second-round deadline. My stomach churned as I read the feedback from an alumnus who advised that I delay submission to the third-round. In his opinion I was not ready. Faced with the stiff odds, though, I was not willing to risk a delay, and so I braced myself for a long night ahead. At 5.45am I had no choice but to click the submit button. The final click was the hardest. Commonly reported feelings of relief or elation were absent. Instead, as I walked for my 6.00am train to the City, my mind frantically devised plans to recall the application.

I remember decision day vividly. I spent most of it online on MBA blogs, forums and websites. Then the tales of acceptance calls started to come through. They followed the sun: Asia first, extending westward through the afternoon and evening. Needless to say, when my phone rang, that single call compensated for the sleepless nights, countless essay revisions and nail-biting wait.

Temi Olatunde will be writing regular dispatches from the Stanford campus when the academic year starts in September

http://www.economist.com/whichmba/mba-diary-california-dreamin?fsrc=nlw|mgt|08-03-11|management_thinking

1 Like

Re: MBA Diary: California Dreamin' by AjanleKoko: 11:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
Sometimes you can't help but wonder what the whole point is undecided
Re: MBA Diary: California Dreamin' by mbulela: 8:50am On Aug 04, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Sometimes you can't help but wonder what the whole point is undecided

With Stanford it is a bit of a cultish feeling.
a bit pointless from the outside but those of them inside can't quite articulate for outsiders like us what it is.
anyway to each,his own.
I wish him well.
Re: MBA Diary: California Dreamin' by mbulela: 8:58am On Aug 04, 2011
meanwhile oga what do you think about that customer service thread i suggested?
Re: MBA Diary: California Dreamin' by AjanleKoko: 1:27pm On Aug 04, 2011
mbulela:

With Stanford it is a bit of a cultish feeling.
a bit pointless from the outside but those of them inside can't quite articulate for outsiders like us what it is.
anyway to each,his own.
I wish him well.

Actually it is a her, not a him. Looked up the name on LinkedIn. wink

Why do I wonder what the point all is? I was watching the news this morning, and what did i see?
HSBC to cut jobs, Barclays cuts jobs, UBS cuts jobs, Credit Suisse cuts jobs. Heavy job cuts, right left and center.

I think the Ivy League thing is more of a perception thing, not even a cult. Do you know how many of them are fleeing back to Naija by the day?
An Ivy League education these days doesn't seem like more than a very expensive lottery ticket. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to go to to earn a good salary.

mbulela:

meanwhile oga what do you think about that customer service thread i suggested?

Opening it now . . .

(1) (Reply)

Any Body Wth Info Ø̲̣̣̥f Wen Customs Recruitment For 2013/2014 Start? / Should A Dismissed Bank Staff Continue To Pay Outstanding Loans Even When Jobles / Thread For Women In Science And Engineering - Let's Discuss Our Careers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.