Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,555 members, 7,861,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:53 PM

The Japa Reality – A Call For Anonymity And Accountability - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Japa Reality – A Call For Anonymity And Accountability (527 Views)

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? / The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / Nigerian Youths And The ‘Japa’ Syndrome, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Japa Reality – A Call For Anonymity And Accountability by Professor822714: 1:56am On Aug 09, 2022
From the united kingdom to the United States of America and I’m certain in several other countries around the world, Nigerians are arriving daily to press the restart button in their lives. Sometimes as graduate or undergraduate students, professional workers or just tourists exploring their options, the story is similar to all- the “born-again” experience if the Christians would allow me to borrow that phrase is happening to Nigerians in Diaspora.
Having escaped the quagmire of poor leadership, poor infrastructure, lack of healthcare and education, limited access to opportunities and a myriad of other problems, arriving in developed countries where these issues are practically non-existent is a pleasant surprise for many.
However the born-again experience begins when many are being indoctrinated into at system where things actually work- you now have a primary care doctor (or GP), you have a social security card (or National insurance card), a mailbox, a credit score, a functional bank account where money doesn’t just disappear (trust me on this!). For many Nigerians, this is the first time they can truly say they exist as an identifiable being.
In Nigeria, true identity is conceptualized as being born into a wealthy family, working in a recognized company that provides the things that are now being provided in the new country of abode- an identity card, health insurance (or services), access to a better life in all its ramifications- which didn’t come easy- many had to either possess exceptional academic qualifications or better still know someone “at the top” to get employed.
This new identity as a result of the “japa experience” – as it is often called, is surreal. Truth is African leaders have failed the continent so badly that the very essence of identity is something Africans have to experience outside e their own place of ancestry.
As the bible says- old things have passed away, all things are new; many embrace this newness with glee. Social media is rife with videos of Nigerians expressing comparisons, joyful ecstasy and euphoria upon arrival in the western countries where things work. They clearly believe old things have passed away and are happy to experience the new.
On the flip side, this joy is soon eclipsed with the realization that the anonymity of Nigeria, presented some form of insulation from the laser beam on the personal affairs that guaranteed some ability to avoid accountability- now that the true identity is exposed, taxes are inevitable, utility billing is instant and brutal with consequences as real as the new experience.
Suddenly, the joy of identity is reconsidered, as anonymity back home facilitated evading taxes and utility accountability, identity has presented a novel ecosystem of living in a fishbowl- nowhere to hide.
In summary, it all was an exchange from the start- if we truly want things to work back home, accountability and anonymity are variables that should not be subject to status or societal standing- all things must become new!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Japa Reality – A Call For Anonymity And Accountability by Mide3367: 9:58am On Aug 09, 2022
Hmm
Re: The Japa Reality – A Call For Anonymity And Accountability by Maxxim: 2:58pm On Aug 09, 2022
Interesting analysis, one has to choose his hard and if I have to choose, living abroad is what I'll go for, what's the point of evading paying taxes when the quality of life is zero, the high cost of living included plus security threats everywhere.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

(VIDEO) Road Sweeping In Remote UK Town Vs Abuja / Trip To Bhutan - My Experience / Travelling Asistance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.