Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? (26600 Views)

Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Miracle In Football / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr / Meet The Nigeria Football Team Of 1962 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by excanny: 2:13pm On Aug 09, 2022
Let’s see a Super Eagles comeback against a FIFA top 5 team.

Stop celebrating mediocrity.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by excel101(m): 2:27pm On Aug 09, 2022
The greatest should be Saudi 89, unlike Atalanta 96 that they came back from a 1-1 against Brazil, the Saudi 89 U-20 lads came from 4-0 down to beat a USSR team.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by LZAA: 2:42pm On Aug 09, 2022
Ilaje1:

If 89 was over age, what about Atlanta '96? They are all age grouped competition. Atl '96 was filled with nucleus of Japan '93 team plus established super eagles players with accepted 3 overaged players. How many youth players make it to the top?
Bro die am
We always cheated in age tournaments
South Americans too
The Olympics was different because they actually used their real ages plus the three overage rule
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Mrincredy(m): 2:46pm On Aug 09, 2022
Which Kroos is still in the national team bro? How many players from that Under 20 competition from Argentina are still playing football till date?
kenzysmith:
It has to be Atalanta 1996 against Brazil parading superstars like berbeto,Carlos,Rinaldo and the likes.

I would ve said 1989 but me and u know how he dey go say na overage we dey always use to win all those tournaments.

Messi under20 set 2005

Messi is still at PSG currently balloon do or Holder.
Mikel finished second while taiwo finish third wey taiwo and Mikel dey today?

2017 junior world cup Toni kross is in Madrid today wey chrisantos machuley who won d golden booth dey today.

Messi and Toni kross are still in the national team up till now wey the likes of Mikel,taiwlo and chrisatos dey?
Look at the likes of ihenacho and oshimen who use their real age look at the height they have gone so far. We should stop using overage players and be truthful to ourselves
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by phemmyfour: 3:03pm On Aug 09, 2022
Ilaje1 post=115534353:
Most people saying ATL 96 here didn't watch Saudi 89
. IBB even declared a public holiday for that comeback. Was 4-0 down. Notable mention will be France 98 Spain vs Nigeria. Saudi 89 was under-21, while ATL 96 was under 23.
You are wrong

Atlanta is bigger than U20 in everything

Mature Players with three over age players. That U23 team of both Nig and Brazil consisted of nothing less than five starting players in their national team.

You cannot say the same for U20 where most European countries don't take serious

In 96, The comeback was settled by a golden goal.

In 89, it was completed by pk shoot out

In 96, we went all the way to secure the gold
In 89, We lost in the final to Portugal
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Toks2008(m): 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
Atlanta 96 is my number one

Then this match against USSR where we came from behind to win Russia
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Kaysalas(m): 3:11pm On Aug 09, 2022
Hezzyluv:
The one I love most is Liverpool's comback against #Barcelona in the Champions league 2020 semi finals. grin

I know wetin I dey talkgrin
Shut up! Must you bring this up? You nor know say e still dey pain? Liverpool Vs ac milan dey Dia, 2005 final, you nor mention. Guy, take time O!
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by 43Ronin: 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2022
Nig vs Spain 3-2. France 98. Oliseh winning goal was OUTRAGEOUS
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by robosky02(m): 3:51pm On Aug 09, 2022
Na indomie generation way no see damman miracle wasy no no wstin be comeback

The Miracle of Dammam also known as The Dammam Miracle was the name given to the result of a quarter-final football match between the Nigerian U-20 football team and the USSR U-20 football team at the 1989 FIFA World Youth Championship in Saudi Arabia which the Nigerian U-20 team went on to win on penalties. The match created a footballing record as Nigeria became the first team to come back from four goals down to equalize and then go on to win a FIFA World Cup match at any level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LIGg1PkkU

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by gannod(m): 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2022
Miracle of Daman is my number 1.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Hezzyluv: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2022
Kaysalas:

Shut up! Must you bring this up? You nor know say e still dey pain? Liverpool Vs ac milan dey Dia, 2005 final, you nor mention. Guy, take time O!

I'm sorry @Leonelmessi grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by alfredilly: 4:26pm On Aug 09, 2022
betterman22:
Nigeria Comebacks AT Atlanta 96 Olympics remains the best and historic comeback ever
Don't underrate the 1989 come back. It was the most historic comeback Nigeria could relate with until 1996. Notwithstanding, it remain unforgettable till date.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Arielle: 4:34pm On Aug 09, 2022
Discountsempai:
Miracle of Damman for me

I mean, I watched the match on TV, and went from feeling like we were out to feeling like we could win...and we did...via penalty shootout.

Sorry, but Nos 2 and 3 don't come close.....
Me too. From 4 down, it was an absolute miracle. We were all stunned.
But the excitement of Atlanta was palpable. Still riding high over the defeat of Brazil, we humbled Argentina. I swear the whole country shook! I doubt if most people slept that night. It was so exciting!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by princewarri1985: 4:55pm On Aug 09, 2022
It has to be atlanta olympic 1996! I was 14 years old then and my late dad of blessed memory just bought a brand new coloured toshiba 14 inches tv set because of the olympic and the whole neighbourhood was inside our palour watching the match, and when Nigeria won that match against brazil that night the jubilation was insane, and i've never seen my dad that happy before. He ordered crates of beer for every one, i was 14 then and i grabbed a bottle of beer and my mom was yelling at me and my dad was like "leave my son let him drink beer" i love you dad continue to rest in peace. OP thanks for taking us back memory lane
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Khastro(m): 4:59pm On Aug 09, 2022
The local premiership, Enugu Rangers comeback against Kano pillars from 3-0 to 3-3 and they won the (Aiteo) cup.
That was a piece of raw determination and resilience. Probably 2020
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Izprince(m): 5:39pm On Aug 09, 2022
kenzysmith:
It has to be Atalanta 1996 against Brazil parading superstars like berbeto,Carlos,Rinaldo and the likes.

I would ve said 1989 but me and u know how he dey go say na overage we dey always use to win all those tournaments.

Messi under20 set 2005

2017 junior world cup Toni kross is in Madrid today wey chrisantos machuley who won d golden booth dey today.

Messi and Toni kross are still in the national team up till now wey the likes of Mikel,taiwlo and chrisatos dey?
Look at the likes of ihenacho and oshimen who use their real age look at the height they have gone so far. We should stop using overage players and be truthful to ourselves

Iheanacho use which real age

E be like u drink agbo Gambia.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by kenzysmith: 5:48pm On Aug 09, 2022
Izprince:

Iheanacho use which real age

E be like u drink agbo Gambia.
ihenacho start playing for Nigeria under 13 go and verify baba is 24
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by gaskiyamagana: 5:51pm On Aug 09, 2022
Number 3
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Qwi1: 5:55pm On Aug 09, 2022
Really
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Izprince(m): 6:03pm On Aug 09, 2022
kenzysmith:
ihenacho start playing for Nigeria under 13 go and verify baba is 24

Bros no dey fool yourself... Iheanacho and my elder bro na age mate... And my elder bro na 31 years old this year... Matured man like Iheanacho... Even osimhen reduce him age but the difference no too plenty.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Kaysalas(m): 6:12pm On Aug 09, 2022
Hezzyluv:

I'm sorry @Leonelmessi grin grin grin
You are forgiven grin grin grin
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by kenzysmith: 6:15pm On Aug 09, 2022
Izprince:

Bros no dey fool yourself... Iheanacho and my elder bro na age mate... And my elder bro na 31 years old this year... Matured man like Iheanacho... Even osimhen reduce him age but the difference no too plenty.
this picture will clear ur doubt u are the one fooling yourself all this while.

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by SEGLIZ: 6:26pm On Aug 09, 2022
Discountsempai:
Miracle of Damman for me

I mean, I watched the match on TV, and went from feeling like we were out to feeling like we could win...and we did...via penalty shootout.

those choosing 96 and 2014 never experienced the damman miracle, sure the noodles generation.

2 Likes

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Kingcalls: 2:15am On Aug 10, 2022
kenzysmith:

Messi under20 set 2005

De gea was Spain keeper in that final against Nigeria in 2007

2 Likes

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by superCleanworks(m): 8:08am On Aug 10, 2022
Discountsempai:
Miracle of Damman for me

most people here did not watch that match. that was the greatest comeback of the Nigerian team for me. it was on a fine afternoon when the Russian team still had CCCP on their jersey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 3:08pm On Aug 10, 2022
Sweetplum:
Atlanta 96 naa. The first two are like Olule. We triumphed and later chop breakfast.

We are talking about comeback match here not about the competition as whole. If you are talking about competition as whole, Japan 93 was the best.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 3:12pm On Aug 10, 2022
Fxwarrior:

My favorite remains Atlanta 96. Kanu Nwankwo was brave enough to carry the ball when it became obvious that the referee didn't want to end the match at stoppage time which means he wanted Argentina to win.

With what Kanu did, he was forced to blow the final whistle.

Hahaha, where did you see/hear this lie? Brave enough? The ref blew the whistle before he carried the ball else na straight red you go chop if you attempt such stupidity.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 3:16pm On Aug 10, 2022
kenzysmith:

Messi under20 set 2005

And you don't think ATL '96 were overaged?
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 3:21pm On Aug 10, 2022
LZAA:

Bro die am
We always cheated in age tournaments
South Americans too
The Olympics was different because they actually used their real ages plus the three overage rule

Olympic is under-23. The same set of players who pgraduated from under-17, under-20. So if under-17 and 20 are overaged, why will you think under-23 is not? Kanu, Babayaro, Oruma were all in Japan 93. Mind you, Biodun Baruwa was dropped from the 96 squad because of age discrepancy, but was in goal for the team before proper Olympic.
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 10, 2022
Ilaje1:

We are talking about comeback match here not about the competition as whole. If you are talking about competition as whole, Japan 93 was the best.
ABEG FREE ME. I V DONE MY ANALYSIS
Re: Top 3 Unbelievable Nigeria Football Comebacks - Which Was Your Favorite? by Ilaje1: 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2022
phemmyfour:
You are wrong

Atlanta is bigger than U20 in everything

Mature Players with three over age players. That U23 team of both Nig and Brazil consisted of nothing less than five starting players in their national team.

You cannot say the same for U20 where most European countries don't take serious

In 96, The comeback was settled by a golden goal.

In 89, it was completed by pk shoot out

In 96, we went all the way to secure the gold
In 89, We lost in the final to Portugal

Olympic football is not bigger than under-20 WC. Most players in under-20 always play under 23. Apart from the 3 overaged players in Brazil, mention 5 of them that was already playing for their senior team?
Kanu, Taribo, Oruma, Celestine were already or kinda in super eagles as under -20. They played Japan '93 (under 17), were in camp for USA '94. And already in the team by 95. And I'm 89, Mutiu, Dimeji and Ogaba, Chris Ohenhen were already part of SE. My point, under-20 and under-23 are almost the same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Hosts First American Flagship Football Exhibition (photos) / Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes The First Player To Score In Five World Cups / Winners Of African Player Of The Year Award From 1992 To Present (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.