Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr (35335 Views)

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death / Google Celebrates Sam Okwaraji's Posthumous Birthday With Doodle (Photos) / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by obembet(f): 3:32pm On Mar 29, 2019
It’s been about 30 years since former Nigeria International, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji, died right on the field of play while representing his country in a football match. Ripples Nigeria’s Ben Ugbana curates the following facts about the man whose death came as a shock to the football world.

1. Okwaraji was an Imo indegene

Sam, who would later become a fine midfielder in the round leather game, was born on 19th of May, 1964 in Orlu, Imo State, Nigeria.

2. He died at 25 of heart failure

Okwaraji died during a World Cup qualifying match against Angola at the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos on 12th of August, 1989. He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of the encounter. Nigeria won the game 1-0, but still failed to qualify for the 1990 World Cup.

3. Scorer of one of the fastest goals in AFCON

Okwaraji was a member of the Green Eagles squad that represented Nigeria at the 1988 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Morocco, where he scored one of the fastest goals in the history of the tournament against Cameroon. It was his only international goal for Nigeria.

4. Okwaraji spent his entire football career in EuLawyer
Sam played for Italian side, AS Roma between 1984 and 1985 as a youth player. He went on to play for NK Dinamo Zagreb between 1985 and 1986, for Austria Klagenfurt between 1986 and 1987, for VfB Stuttgart between 1987 and 1989 and for SSV Ulm 1846 on loan between 1987-1988.

5. Okwaraji was also a trained Lawyer

Other than his football career, the Imo-born star bagged a Masters degree in Law from the University of Rome. He was playing professional football while finishing his education in law.
Here is a clip of Okwaraji’s goal against the Indomitable Lions in Morocco:

Source:
https://www.ripplesnigeria.com/in-remembrance-of-sam-okwaraji-5-facts-about-nigerias-football-martyr/

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Davash222(m): 3:40pm On Mar 29, 2019
Continue to RIP lengend.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by izzou(m): 3:41pm On Mar 29, 2019
grin
Nigeria was playing India and the rule of that particular game was if Nigeria could score just 1, Nigeria wins(whoever created such useless rule)

India was leading Nigeria with 99 goals. When they(the Indians) want to score, the ball turns to a lion and our goal keeper runs for his life. Then they score with ease grin

But Okwaraji(of Blessed memory) summoned courage. Took the ball, was about to take a shot. Ball turned into a big stone. He didn't mind. Kicked the stone with his last breath. Ball(Stone) entered the net, Nigeria wins, Okwaraji dies.

This is the version I heard as a kid cool cool

Continue to rest on Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji

And Ohhh, India got banned from playing football after the match(I forgot this part) grin

383 Likes 47 Shares

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by obembet(f): 4:32pm On Mar 29, 2019
cc:lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Fathertony: 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin
Nigeria was playing India and the rule of that particular game was if Nigeria could score just 1, Nigeria wins(whoever created such useless rule)

India was leading Nigeria with 99 goals. When they(the Indians) want to score, the ball turns to a lion and our goal keeper runs for his life. Then they score with ease grin

But Okwaraji(of Blessed memory) summoned courage. Took the ball, was about to take a shot. Ball turned into a big stone. He didn't mind. Kicked the stone with his last breath. Ball(Stone) entered the net, Nigeria wins, Okwaraji dies.

And Ohhh, India got banned from playing football after the match(I forgot this part) grin
blessings to whoever started this story, he/she made my childhood complete!!! Wow!

132 Likes 8 Shares

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Adek65: 5:50pm On Mar 29, 2019
Continue to R.I.P

1 Like

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by gideon1971(m): 6:24pm On Mar 29, 2019
RESPECT

30 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by flowmama: 6:25pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

The version I heard na Tunder balo... Whoever that was...

16 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by OurAjibola(m): 6:25pm On Mar 29, 2019
And we were told another story shocked

1 Like

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by anochuko01(m): 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2019
you mean he didnt kick a ball that turned to a lion's head?

7 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Liverpoolside2: 6:27pm On Mar 29, 2019
Nigga is my birth mate

Who else is May 19th?

7 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

I swear down,naso them tell me sef

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Constantiney: 6:31pm On Mar 29, 2019
I'm expecting to see the yekini Olympic scorer guy here soon

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Mckandre(m): 6:32pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

the version i heard was the heading he gave the ball was what made him to start living dreadlocks due to the injury he sustained.

12 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Topmaike007(m): 6:33pm On Mar 29, 2019
The man that kick ball and turn to snake, fire and Lion respectively against India... cheesy rip legend

8 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Evalove77(m): 6:34pm On Mar 29, 2019
A great Legend Nigeria has ever produced. Continue to rip dear!

4 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by kid23(m): 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

lol so I heard too

So I heard though I didn't know the name����

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Chukwumagordian: 6:36pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

That's what I heard too
But we were told he loosed his boot, on taking the shot, his boot went together with the ball.

The goal keeper caught his boot while the ball enters the post .

That's what I heard oh grin

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by obembet(f): 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

I still believe in that lie bro even till now

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by MzTunechi(f): 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

LMAO

1 Like

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by MzTunechi(f): 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2019
Chukwumagordian:

That's what I heard also.
But we were told he loosed his boot, on taking the shot, his boot went together with the ball.

The goal keeper catched his boot while the ball enters the post .

LOL.... But seriously who fabricated that story

5 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by ElsonMorali: 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2019
Wow. It's 30 years already. Where's the time gone? Dude's probably reincarnated by now.

5 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by samfishbone1(m): 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2019
Chukwumagordian:

That's what I heard also.

The goal keeper catched his boot while the ball enters the post .

ooh blood of Holy Goliath.... them don lie for una no be small... hope u people will not pass the lie to una unborn children..

3 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by queenitee(f): 6:50pm On Mar 29, 2019
futurist369:
I swear down,naso them tell me sef
Me too
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by secretfire: 6:51pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

Same here grin

2 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by fartkay(m): 6:52pm On Mar 29, 2019
Fathertony:
blessings to whoever started this story, he/she made my childhood complete!!! Wow!

so this story got across everywhere then

1 Like

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by paparazzi1987(m): 6:52pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
grin

Please stop spreading fake news.

This story is for Thunder Balogun not Samuel Okwaraji . I watch the live match on DSTV between India Vs Nigeria where Thunder Balogun scored the only goal for Nigeria. the match ended 99 - 1

grin grin.

12 Likes

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Dacronym(m): 6:53pm On Mar 29, 2019
He had a Masters Degree and was Down to earth
Rest in Power Sam okwaraji

I sell Customised Soccer Jerseys quality products 10k naira Only per Jersey thanks
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by ofiko123(m): 6:53pm On Mar 29, 2019
Continue to rest in peace..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alex Iwobi: Why I Left Arsenal For Everton / Footballer Chichi Igbo Puts Her Abs On Display In New Photos / Bomb Scare: Messi's Private Jet Grounded In Argentina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.