Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) (1583 Views)

I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? / Must Everybody Go Into Tech Or Learn Coding? / For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Zubby2005(m): 6:25pm On Aug 09, 2022
I've always wanted to give command to abstract things since my primary school days, I was so obsessed with tech so I wanted to become a scientist/(Not knowing everything revolved around programming languages and their commands), My dad and mom had a Laptop so I was pretty much okay but nobody and nowhere to learn from.
I only used the laptop to play games, till after my junior waec, I went for a 3 months computer class and I loved every bit of it(my notes are still intact, saved to show kids), so I googled on cmd tricks and hacking on windows.
I was so good at cmd in the sense I hack my laptop and my brother own too, so after the computer program, I saw myself going back to my normal Nigerian life.
I forget about some of my cmd tricks and didn't bother getting more knowledge because of school, the tech inspiration in me literally died.
I'm a tech guru and I know basically almost everything and phones and laptop except repairs, so fast forward to now(my ss3), I started phone business in school and it paid me like mad(got money to buy my first laptop), so since I'm already in the business and I love tech and exploring, I decided to fully buy my laptop first (ordered from ebay and it took a month to arrive) move in tech though it was difficult for me to balance school and tech.
If you leave tech for 1 day and you feel less concerned, trust me the enthusiasm would definitely be dying slowly.
I got my motivations from nairaland.com and testimonies too, I'm not even up to expectations but I'm still pushing.
What discouraged me was electricity(Most times no light), internet(you'd spend much money on internet learning all day), accessories (like mouse, keyboard, router, UPS to make work easier for you).
I'm still learning JavaScript if, if else and else statements, please inbox to teach me abeg�.
Share you experience, how did you get to know that tech existed and could be shaped to one's pleasure.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:43pm On Aug 09, 2022
Omho na hunger o grin grin

11 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by JoyousFurnitire(m): 6:53pm On Aug 09, 2022
You're doing well OP. Take it one step at a time. JavaScript needs a lot of perseverance.

Pass your SSCE then focus on getting into school to study computer sci/software engineering.

I got hooked to tech because I could command the computer and get amazing results instantly. What a joy, never seen anything like that.

My challenges are pretty much same as yours.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Hannania(m): 7:21pm On Aug 09, 2022
Zubby2005:
I've always wanted to give command to abstract things since my primary school days, I was so obsessed with tech so I wanted to become a scientist/(Not knowing everything revolved around programming languages and their commands), My dad and mom had a Laptop so I was pretty much okay but nobody and nowhere to learn from.
I only used the laptop to play games, till after my junior waec, I went for a 3 months computer class and I loved every bit of it(my notes are still intact, saved to show kids), so I googled on cmd tricks and hacking on windows.
I was so good at cmd in the sense I hack my laptop and my brother own too, so after the computer program, I saw myself going back to my normal Nigerian life.
I forget about some of my cmd tricks and didn't bother getting more knowledge because of school, the tech inspiration in me literally died.
I'm a tech guru and I know basically almost everything and phones and laptop except repairs, so fast forward to now(my ss3), I started phone business in school and it paid me like mad(got money to buy my first laptop), so since I'm already in the business and I love tech and exploring, I decided to fully buy my laptop first (ordered from ebay and it took a month to arrive) move in tech though it was difficult for me to balance school and tech.
If you leave tech for 1 day and you feel less concerned, trust me the enthusiasm would definitely be dying slowly.
I got my motivations from nairaland.com and testimonies too, I'm not even up to expectations but I'm still pushing.
What discouraged me was electricity(Most times no light), internet(you'd spend much money on internet learning all day), accessories (like mouse, keyboard, router, UPS to make work easier for you).
I'm still learning JavaScript if, if else and else statements, please inbox to teach me abeg�.
Share you experience, how did you get to know that tech existed and could be shaped to one's pleasure.
If I were in your shoes, I'll enroll in a Bootcamp, then get into an online degree. Unless you can afford to attend a Private university, please don't think of attending a Public University. It's a waste of time in this present-day Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Sheriman(m): 10:03pm On Aug 09, 2022
What discouraged people from programming are lack of electricity, lack of funds for food house rent and data, your family pressure and expectations especially if you are a graduate, programming is not something you can easily do in a rapid period of time and be getting the bags it requires a lot of time and resources.

9 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Johnchrix(m): 10:11pm On Aug 09, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

My oga I no believe you for this one oo grin
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by ifecorepublic: 10:13pm On Aug 09, 2022
When I did intro tech in secondary school
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by TastyFriedPussy: 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2022
Zubby2005:
you said you got your laptop from eBay shocked what make is it and how much did it cost in total? I figured it might be cheaper to get a laptop through either eBay or ali express but fear of the unknown no dey gree me.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Zubby2005(m): 1:45am On Aug 10, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
you said you got your laptop from eBay shocked what make is it and how much did it cost in total? I figured it might be cheaper to get a laptop through either eBay or ali express but fear of the unknown no dey gree me.
I bought it directly and paid with barter virtual dollar card, then shipped the item here.
Shipping was damn expensive though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Demaxl(m): 2:59pm On Sep 20, 2022
Zubby2005:

I bought it directly and paid with barter virtual dollar card, then shipped the item here.
Shipping was damn expensive though.

Good day bro

If i may ask was the laptop used ? If yes how were you able to determine if it was genuine?
What things did you ask the seller?

I am planning on buying a laptop from ebay but i dont have experience smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Zubby2005(m): 12:06am On Oct 22, 2022
Demaxl:

Good day bro

If i may ask was the laptop used ? If yes how were you able to determine if it was genuine?
What things did you ask the seller?

I am planning on buying a laptop from ebay but i dont have experience smiley
You can check reviews;
I made a thorough research plus my little experience from importing from China then I bought, paid, shipped and it landed in Nigeria in a month

1 Like

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 02, 2022
Hannania:
If I were in your shoes, I'll enroll in a Bootcamp, then get into an online degree. Unless you can afford to attend a Private university, please don't think of attending a Public University. It's a waste of time in this present-day Nigeria.

What's bad about pub. Uni?
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by TheRollingStone: 3:31pm On Nov 02, 2022
Tunechi112:

What's bad about pub. Uni?

You’ll end up with outdated and half baked knowledge.
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 02, 2022
TheRollingStone:

You're right man,no practicals at all
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 03, 2022
TheRollingStone:

That's because you expect the lecturer to teach me everything

University is just to make connections and learn on your own

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Nobody: 8:26am On Nov 03, 2022
Ben10 made me get into tech
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by TheRollingStone: 11:31am On Nov 03, 2022
MethPedo:

That's because you expect the lecturer to teach me everything

University is just to make connections and learn on your own

Did you or are you current studying CS in a public uni? If no just shut up and rest.
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 13, 2022
TheRollingStone:

Did you or are you current studying CS in a public uni? If no just shut up and rest.

I'm in computer engineering and going to a public uni
Sorry if you wasted your time in uni

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by GorillaApp(m): 11:01am On Nov 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Lool. I want to shoot you a mail. I know we have discussed before
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:05am On Nov 13, 2022
GorillaApp:

Lool. I want to shoot you a mail. I know we have discussed before
Shoot.
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by niel63(m): 11:14am On Nov 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na hunger for Ghana ooo grin grin grin inside Accra hot sun.

I went from being a novice in anything computer related in the first semester of my first year in school... to being the go-to guy for any computer related issue or any computer programming assignments.

The girls starting coming closer, I was able to get free food and transportation to and fro school.

Lecturers called upon me when virus hit their system and do not want to loose any file.

Those small small trick developed into passion for doing something nicer... I went into web dev through a friend back then in school. A Ghanaian dude. "Folly Mivedor" dude was paying his fees with this.

Well, thank God for life sha... cos it could have been worse cos I wasn't able to finish my university education. Imagine being a very good student who couldn't write exams because of fees. Life hit some of us pretty hard ooo!

Omo depression wan kill person.
My options were clear. Begin do labourer work, or enter street finish.

Well, i chose wordpress. Built a few stuffs back then. But the learning and desire never stops if you really love it.

Crime is the easiest decision anyone can take. And for someone like me... hahahhahaha it wouldn't have been a surprise. But I shock them.

I made the decision not to involve myself... but funny thing in life is, that's the only offer that comes ur way when you are really hungry.

Honestly, crime to dey easy. No cap! I'd have been a billionaire or possibly dead by now if I followed that route.

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

My story, one day I go write am out.
People dey call me boss but them no know the real story. Dem no know the pain.
Damn it! I've said alot already.... but fuxk it. I don't care.
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:16am On Nov 13, 2022
niel63:

Na hunger for Ghana ooo grin grin grin inside Accra hot sun.

I went from being a novice in anything computer related in the first semester of my first year in school... to being the go-to guy for any computer related issue or any computer programming assignments.

The girls starting coming closer, I was able to get free food and transportation to and fro school.

Lecturers called upon me when virus hit their system and do not want to loose any file.

Those small small trick developed into passion for doing something nicer... I went into web dev through a friend back then in school. A Ghanaian dude. "Folly Mivedor" dude was paying his fees with this.

Well, thank God for life sha... cos it could have been worse cos I wasn't able to finish my university education. Imagine being a very good student who couldn't write exams because of fees. Life hit some of us pretty hard ooo!

Omo depression wan kill person.
My options were clear. Begin do labourer work, or enter street finish.

Well, i chose wordpress. Built a few stuffs back then. But the learning and desire never stops if you really love it.

Crime is the easiest decision anyone can take. And for someone like me... hahahhahaha it wouldn't have been a surprise. But I shock them.

I made the decision not to involve myself... but funny thing in life is, that's the only offer that comes ur way when you are really hungry.

Honestly, crime to dey easy. No cap! I'd have been a billionaire or possibly dead by now if I followed that route.

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

My story, one day I go write am out.
People dey call me boss but them no know the real story. Dem no know the pain.
Damn it! I've said alot already.... but fuxk it. I don't care.

Omho Ghana is tough to think I used to complain when I was a student. Right now it's so unbearable. To live there is equivalent to living in hell now.
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by niel63(m): 11:20am On Nov 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Omho Ghana is tough to think I used to complain when I was a student. Right now it's so unbearable. To live there is equivalent to living in hell now.

My school was notorious for having the hottest chics and richest dudes. I'm not kidding. Andost of em are actually very smart and not just spoilt. My brother, the neck pressing wasn't here.... imagine a 100level student ordering a new car from abroad. Omor... the trend set for everybody ooo! Come imagine people like me wey be say, na only our head dey our head. Nothing more.

Gh hard die. Unless ure being bankrolled, you can't survive that shit. Even if you get your own money. It is different.

You wan dey zuzu where governors children dey? cry

Omo, the neck pressing wasn't here ooo!

All these bayelsa, port Harcourt, Huasa boys and girls. Omo! Don't joke oo...

Even the house i stayed, 8 people for there na Prince and princesses In 9ja here. I've been privileged to meet some of them In their fathers Palace ooo! Don't joke!

But life na shit show! Do you! No look anybody mama for face.. at the end, it's all about you. Isn't it.?
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by GorillaApp(m): 11:23am On Nov 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Shoot.
I'm planning on expanding into setting up an academy where I.T is taught. Firstly, I'm not an I.T person.
I have a training and consultancy firm but I wish to spread into training young folks on I.T skills. It's not really profit driven as I intend to subsidize it heavily so as to give young people from inner city a fighting chance.
Whsr would be your advice?
Which area of skills do you advise I begin with
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:32am On Nov 13, 2022
GorillaApp:

I'm planning on expanding into setting up an academy where I.T is taught. Firstly, I'm not an I.T person.
I have a training and consultancy firm but I wish to spread into training young folks on I.T skills. It's not really profit driven as I intend to subsidize it heavily so as to give young people from inner city a fighting chance.
Whsr would be your advice?
Which area of skills do you advise I begin with

Honestly I don't know. If I said I know I would be lying. The field of IT is so vast and every particular subset of it is very important. I would say you should start with what you can find teachers for in your locality since you aren't an IT person.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by GorillaApp(m): 11:57am On Nov 13, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly I don't know. If I said I know I would be lying. The field of IT is so vast and every particular subset of it is very important. I would say you should start with what you can find teachers for in your locality since you aren't an IT person.
Thank you so much. I appreciate it
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by TheRollingStone: 12:20pm On Nov 13, 2022
MethPedo:

I'm in computer engineering and going to a public uni
Sorry if you wasted your time in uni

I have no time going back and forth with you sir, i asked if studied computer science you are talking about engineering. Well good for you, looking forward to your next big engineering masterpiece outta nigeria
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Kvngfrosh(m): 1:34am On Nov 14, 2022
TheRollingStone:

This isn’t entirely true, at the end of the day it depends on the type of individual you are, the public university you attended and how willing you are to learn outside what you were taught in the lecture room.
Re: How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) by Nobody: 3:22am On Nov 14, 2022
After watching hackers ( the one Angelina Jolie acted) decided to test hacking and download Cain and Abel, used to it to perform mitm attacks in cybercafés

I learnt vbscript because I wanted to program gba games and load on my gba console

In sec school , I added shutdown p/f as a scheduled task to run on user login on my mom's laptop, she bought a new one because she thought the laptop was corrupted with virus

Started making use of Google dorks in jss2

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Mobile App / How To Generate Code 128 In ASP.NET Library / Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.