Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,426 members, 7,836,711 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Serena Williams Announces Retirement From Tennis At 40 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Williams Announces Retirement From Tennis At 40 (261 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serena Williams Announces Retirement From Tennis At 40 by LetDemKnow(m): 10:16am On Aug 10, 2022

Serena Williams, in her latest Vogue magazine feature, has revealed that she’s now ready to retire from the game of Tennis.

“I have never liked the word retirement,” says Williams, admitting that the decision is as difficult for her as is the rest of the world.

Going on to reveal the reason for her impending retirement, Serena said:

“Olympia says this a lot, even when she knows I’m listening. Sometimes before bed, she prays to Jehovah to bring her a baby sister. (She doesn’t want anything to do with a boy!) I’m the youngest of five sisters myself, and my sisters are my heroes, so this has felt like a moment I need to listen very carefully to.

“Believe me, I never wanted to have to choose between tennis and a family. I don’t think it’s fair. If I were a guy, I wouldn’t be writing this because I’d be out there playing and winning while my wife was doing the physical labor of expanding our family. Maybe I’d be more of a Tom Brady if I had that opportunity. Don’t get me wrong: I love being a woman, and I loved every second of being pregnant with Olympia. I was one of those annoying women who adored being pregnant and was working until the day I had to report to the hospital—although things got super complicated on the other side. And I almost did do the impossible: A lot of people don’t realize that I was two months pregnant when I won the Australian Open in 2017. But I’m turning 41 this month, and something’s got to give.”

“I have never liked the word retirement. It doesn’t feel like a modern word to me. I’ve been thinking of this as a transition, but I want to be sensitive about how I use that word, which means something very specific and important to a community of people. Maybe the best word to describe what I’m up to is evolution. I’m here to tell you that I’m evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me. A few years ago I quietly started Serena Ventures, a venture capital firm. Soon after that, I started a family. I want to grow that family.

“But I’ve been reluctant to admit to myself or anyone else that I have to move on from playing tennis. Alexis, my husband, and I have hardly talked about it; it’s like a taboo topic. I can’t even have this conversation with my mom and dad. It’s like it’s not real until you say it out loud. It comes up, I get an uncomfortable lump in my throat, and I start to cry. The only person I’ve really gone there with is my therapist! One thing I’m not going to do is sugarcoat this. I know that a lot of people are excited about and look forward to retiring, and I really wish I felt that way.”

About her early days in Tennis, Serena Williams said:
“If you watched King Richard, then you know that when I was little, I was not very good at tennis. I was so sad when I didn’t get all the early opportunities that Venus got, but that helped me. It made me work harder, turning me into a savage fighter.”

The Williams family (Serena, Venus, father Williams, mother Oracene, and other sisters) were the focus of the Academy Award-winning movie King Richard. Apart from being the inspiration behind the story, Venus and Serena Williams were also part of the creative team. Serena Williams and her sister Venus Williams have been described as being “super involved” in the production of the movie King Richard.

All good things must come to an end; it’s been an absolute pleasure watching Serena Williams dominate the game of Tennis all these years. Wishing her an amazing evolution.

SOURCE - https://mediarants.com/serena-williams-announces-retirement-from-tennis-at-40/

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Announces Retirement From Tennis At 40 by Laggafin: 10:23am On Aug 10, 2022
She cudnt break the records.. but she did well for Tennis.. Congrats ma'm
Re: Serena Williams Announces Retirement From Tennis At 40 by hbk001(m): 10:27am On Aug 10, 2022
There's always a climax to everything.

Thanks for the memories ma'am. You and your sister rocked the world of female tennis. You've payed the dues.
Re: Serena Williams Announces Retirement From Tennis At 40 by Chno: 2:18am On Aug 11, 2022
This serena williams go too sweet for bed

(1) (Reply)

Tuchel Has 'no Hard Feelings' Toward Conte After Bust Up But Vents Anger At Refe / Football Predictions Today 20 Games 20 Home Win Or Draw 1890+odd,follow The Link / The Leverage Behind Messi's Salary Demands: PSG Made 700m Euros Following His Ar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.