Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? (2291 Views)

''Pack Your Loads & Leave Lagos" - Godwin Ikuru Threatens Igbos Living In Lagos / Regina: Canada Government sends message to Igbos living in the country / Osun Rerun: Voters Without White Handkerchief Stopped From Voting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 3:31pm On Aug 14, 2022
Peter Obi of the Labour Party is receiving massive support from Nigerians of different ethnic groups to become Nigeria's next president especially the youths. The Igbos, as expected, are massively behind him except of course, the elite politicians in the two major political parties who might be afraid of becoming irrelevant. This OP believes that there are more than 5 million Igbos residing in Lagos. He also believes that about 2 million of them are eligible voters while about 1.5 million are registered voters. Many peot want Peter Obi of the Labour Party to be Nigeria's next president, because among the major contenders, he is arguably or unarguably
1. The most credible
2. The most competent
3. The most capable
4. The least corrupt
5. It is the turn of the Southeast to produce Nigeria's president.
I believe that the ruling APC and the major opposition PDP also know this and there are rumours though unsubstantiated, that the ruling party in Lagos is jittery and as such, is trying to use thugs to intimidate most Igbos from exercising their franchise in 2023. How they intend to stop the large number of Igbos from voting is what I don't know. Will the Igbos in Lagos be intimated from voting in large numbers next year? Time will tell.

4 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by famouscargo4u: 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2022
If the Igbo people continue to play the tribal card instead of issues-based campaign, don't be surprised if it get to that point. I have seen countless posts emanating from people of Igbo orin threatening those supporting Tinubu to refrain from campaigning in their region. Yes, Peter Obi is credible, fit and should be given a chance at the presidency but it's all about votes. You can't force anyone to vote for him.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 3:42pm On Aug 14, 2022
Igbos wailers will not be allowed to vote in Lagos they should go to their Beerfraud online country and vote. After burning down INEC officeies they want to come over to Lagos and vote Peter Obituary. It will not work. No election in beerfraud online country according to their leader.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Eriokanmi: 3:58pm On Aug 14, 2022
My question is, how do you identify igbo voters? Would you begin to interview everyone at the polling booth and be asking their tribe?

At ejeromi ifelidun LGA, Ejigbo, Ago-okota areas must be fortified with heavy security presence to avert the 2019's thugs intimidation of igbo voters. Tinubu isn't a fair man.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by booblacain(m): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:
If the Igbo people continue to play the tribal card instead of issues-based campaign, don't be surprised if it get to that point. I have seen countless posts emanating from people of Igbo orin threatening those supporting Tinubu to refrain from campaigning in their region. Yes, Peter Obi is credible, fit and should be given a chance at the presidency but it's all about votes. You can't force anyone to vote for him.

Have you not also seen countless posts emanating from people of Yoruba origin making the same threats against the igbos? Did you also save those post or you are just intentionally blind to them?

Anybody from anywhere can say anything on the internet. You sit in your house and type as much tribal nonsense as you want to, as long as nobody knows you, your words mean nothing. If you want to base your judgment on tribal rethorics from faceless people, then you must agree that both sides are equally guilty, that is if you want to be fair in your assessment.

If you want to really know who is playing the tribal card in this 2023 election, listen to what the leaders and major players on all sides are saying. That should be your real and honest gauge in determining who is really being tribalistic here.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by DrAkpamudehe: 4:02pm On Aug 14, 2022
FreedomfromtheT:
Peter Obi of the Labour Party is receiving massive support from Nigerians of different ethnic groups to become Nigeria's next president especially the youths. The Igbos, as expected, are massively behind him except of course, the elite politicians in the two major political parties who might be afraid of becoming irrelevant. This OP believes that there are more than 5 million Igbos residing in Lagos. He also believes that about 2 million of them are eligible voters while about 1.5 million are registered voters. Many peot want Peter Obi of the Labour Party to be Nigeria's next president, because among the major contenders, he is arguably or unarguably
1. The most credible
2. The most competent
3. The most capable
4. The least corrupt
5. It is the turn of the Southeast to produce Nigeria's president.
I believe that the ruling APC and the major opposition PDP also know this and there are rumours though unsubstantiated, that the ruling party in Lagos is jittery and as such, is trying to use thugs to intimidate most Igbos from exercising their franchise in 2023. How they intend to stop the large number of Igbos from voting is what I don't know. Will the Igbos in Lagos be intimated from voting in large numbers next year? Time will tell.

If they don't respect themselves and vote PDP, they will be dealt with

2 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by MrColdsweat: 4:03pm On Aug 14, 2022
It is only during elections that yorubas peddle this "igbos are trying to take Lagos propaganda".

What have ndigbo done in the real world that has induced paranoia in the yorubas?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by famouscargo4u: 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2022
booblacain:

Have you not also seen countless posts emanating from people of Yoruba origin making the same threats against the igbos? Did you also save those post or you are just intentionally blind to them?

Anybody from anywhere can say anything on the internet. You sit in your house and type as much tribal nonsense as you want to, as long as nobody knows you, your words mean nothing. If you want to base your judgment on tribal rethorics from faceless people, then you must agree that both sides are equally guilty, that is if you want to be fair in your assessment.

If you want to really know who is playing the tribal card in this 2023 election, listen to what the leaders and major players on all sides are saying. That should be your real and honest gauge in determining who is really being tribalistic here.

I understand your point of view but you need to know also that this is getting beyond the candidates. I and many Yoruba people are routing for Obi but too many toxic contents are coming from Igbo people people which needs to be reduced. Obi won't be president for the Igbo people alone but for all Nigerians. I haven't seen any of the presidential candidates playing ethnic card. We need to respect people's choices. In one of the Obi group I belong, I posted same thing and many people agreed with me. If we are tolerant of other people, it Makes it easier. Ours is to focus on our candidate and ensure he we move out to vote him, not with insults, curses and threats.

12 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by securitywatch50: 4:23pm On Aug 14, 2022
Supported
famouscargo4u:

I understand your point of view but you need to know also that this is getting beyond the candidates. I and many Yoruba people are routing for Obi but too many toxic contents are coming from Igbo people people which needs to be reduced. Obi won't be president for the Igbo people alone but for all Nigerians. I haven't seen any of the presidential candidates playing ethnic card. We need to respect people's choices. In one of the Obi group I belong, I posted same thing and many people agreed with me. If we are tolerant of other people, it Makes it easier. Ours is to focus on our candidate and ensure he we move out to vote him, not with insults, curses and threats.
well said

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by henryobinna(m): 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:
I'm yet to see the igbos making it a tribal thing, if anything it's some people from other regions specifically west and north that keep telling people that Obi can't be president because Igbo this Igbo that. Unless you are intentionally being dishonest, there's no way you can accuse Igbos of making PO's candidacy as an Igbo candidacy when it's people from the opposition. I could go on and on About it

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by ipobcannibals: 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2022
Will Yoruba and Hausa living in Igboland be allowed to vote in the SE?

2 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by famouscargo4u: 4:45pm On Aug 14, 2022
henryobinna:
I'm yet to see the igbos making it a tribal thing, if anything it's some people from other regions specifically west and north that keep telling people that Obi can't be president because Igbo this Igbo that. Unless you are intentionally being dishonest, there's no way you can accuse Igbos of making PO's candidacy as an Igbo candidacy when it's people from the opposition. I could go on and on About it

If you said you didn't see it, okay.

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Rugaria: 4:46pm On Aug 14, 2022
In the history of Nigeria, The South West of Nigeria under Hushcobar Tinupoo is the only place where active attempts by well organized hoodlums to stop people from other sections of the country from voting have been made. The igbos have not stopped the northerners from voting Buhari twice in Owerri or Onitsha, irrespective of the fact that Buhari was nothing but an atrocity to the east. Neither
has the Hausas stopped the Igbo from voting for Ojukwu in the past. It's our suffersticated brothers that are the shame of the nation here. Thee yorubas have always jumped out of their skins to try using violence to stop igbos from voting. It won't be tolorated this time as folks should ready themselves with enough cudgels to force decorum on Tinupoos Awawa boys and One million boys..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by booblacain(m): 4:50pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:

I agree with you that the tribal thing should be toned down and condemned, but all I am saying is we should be fair and unbiased in our condemnation of it. If you are one sided in your judgment, then you are equally as guilty as the offenders.

You said you posted your opinion on a Peter Obi support group and "many people" agreed with you. I strongly believe that most of those people that agreed with you are igbos themselves. Does that not tell you that the majority are not the problem here but just a few. Why are you not focusing on that?

If I want to guage the true attitude of a group of people, there are two things I focus on, one is what the majority is saying and two is what leaders in that group are saying. These are the people that determines the movement of that group.

So, if you chose to focus on what the few are saying, that is your choice and as a matter of fact, it has a lot more to say about your person than it has to say about them.

3 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Liebermantic: 5:07pm On Aug 14, 2022
Yes nah. Most Streets dominated by Igbos have hired private security. Again, the Chief of Defence Staff Leo Irabor must play a role in making sure his kinsman Ifeanyi Okowa is voted massively in Lagos. We will have meeting with him through his family members.We are only compiling places in Lagos that need heavy security presence. Atiku has to play a vital role. There are plans being made to forestall such recurrence

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by booblacain(m): 5:12pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:

Again, if you are really being honest with yourself, you should also have noticed that there are very few comments so far that have been made against Tinubu's candidacy that has anything to do with his tribe. The most areas of attack you will find are about his age and health, then you hear of things abbado and cassava. The most comments I have seen recently with tribal slurs have been against Peter Obi. You hear statements like "Igbos cannot rule Nigeria", "Obi can only win in Igbo land". Where do you assume these comments are majorly coming from, if you want to be honest.

A poster made a statement earlier which come to think about it, seems very true. He said the South West is the only place in the history of Nigeria where an ethnic group has ever tried to prevent another group from voting. To add to that, as far as I know, South West is the only region in Nigeria where a King has threatened another ethnic group with being thrown into a lagoon because of who they choose to vote for.

So, in all these, who is playing tribalism.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by famouscargo4u: 5:25pm On Aug 14, 2022
booblacain:

Again, if you are really being honest with yourself, you should also have noticed that there are very few comments so far that have been made against Tinubu's candidacy that has anything to do with his tribe. The most areas of attack you will find are about his age and health, then you hear of things abbado and cassava. The most comments I have seen recently with tribal slurs have been against Peter Obi. You hear statements like "Igbos cannot rule Nigeria", "Obi can only win in Igbo land". Where do you assume these comments are majorly coming from, if you want to be honest.

A poster made a statement earlier which come to think about it, seems very true. He said the South West is the only place in the history of Nigeria where an ethnic group has ever tried to prevent another group from voting. To add to that, as far as I know, South West is the only region in Nigeria where a King has threatened another ethnic group with being thrown into a lagoon because of who they choose to vote for.

So, in all these, who is playing tribalism.

Yes you are right in a sense. You should understand my point. Going forward, let's preach preach.

2 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by henryobinna(m): 5:43pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:

If you said you didn't see it, okay.
I haven't seen, if I do see I'll caution them when possible.

Also, you should remember you're not voting PO's supporters but rater PO himself. His supporters would have little to no say in what he would do as president. furthermore, you should remember that this is the internet, I could create an account with a Yoruba moniker and post inciting content against say Igbos while promoting Tinubu.. people would think it's a legitimate supporter and a Yoruba but an actual imposter/impersonator.

Long story short, this is the internet and impersonation is possible.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Vulturereloaded: 5:45pm On Aug 14, 2022
Failure of APC is intimidating all Nigerians. This is not about Igbo anymore.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by famouscargo4u: 6:25pm On Aug 14, 2022
henryobinna:
I haven't seen, if I do see I'll caution them when possible.

Also, you should remember you're not voting PO's supporters but rater PO himself. His supporters would have little to no say in what he would do as president. furthermore, you should remember that this is the internet, I could create an account with a Yoruba moniker and post inciting content against say Igbos while promoting Tinubu.. people would think it's a legitimate supporter and a Yoruba but an actual imposter/impersonator.

Long story short, this is the internet and impersonation is possible.

You're right. There was a particular Ugo who edited his name to a Yoruba name and it can also be vice-versa. I got your point.

3 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Naughtysex: 6:46pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:

My brother, wisdom doesn't recognize tribe or religion before it falls on your shoulder
As we have people with wisdom and knowledge from the both tribe (Igbo and Yorubas), that's how we also have people with opposite wisdom from both sides.

One Yoruba proverb says "When you are in the market, listen to the person you are negotiating with, not the noise of the market.

7 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Enyimbafc: 6:58pm On Aug 14, 2022
I will personally kill any one that threatens me.
Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2022
DrAkpamudehe:

If they don't respect themselves and vote PDP, they will be dealt with
Which people please? And why must they vote PDP's candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar?

3 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 9:34pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:
I don't know who is playing the tribal card more between Igbos and Yorubas. So this is not a valid point. Besides tribal politics doesn't harm anyone, does it? Please I advise that you don't bring up the option of thuggery and intimidation because you or your loved one might just be an unfortunate victim and life will go on after the elections. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 9:42pm On Aug 14, 2022
LordviccoDaGuru:
Igbos wailers will not be allowed to vote in Lagos they should go to their Beerfraud online country and vote. After burning down INEC officeies they want to come over to Lagos and vote Peter Obituary. It will not work. No election in beerfraud online country according to their leader.
But Yoruba 'wailers' can be allowed to vote in Lagos even with the Yoruba nation advocacy, can't they? How are we sure it is not Yoruba thugs that burnt those INEC offices you mentioned?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 9:46pm On Aug 14, 2022
Eriokanmi:
My question is, how do you identify igbo voters? Would you begin to interview everyone at the polling booth and be asking their tribe?

At ejeromi ifelidun LGA, Ejigbo, Ago-okota areas must be fortified with heavy security presence to avert the 2019's thugs intimidation of igbo voters. Tinubu isn't a fair man.

Good question. There are places in Lagos that are dominated by Igbos and the non Igbos know those places. Apart from that, people know their Igbo neighbours and Igbos can be easily identified through their skin colour and accent.

5 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 9:47pm On Aug 14, 2022
Eriokanmi:

Good question. There are places in Lagos that are dominated by Igbos and the non Igbos know those places. You have even mentioned a particular area. Apart from that, people know their Igbo neighbours and Igbos can be easily identified through their skin colour and accent.

3 Likes

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 9:54pm On Aug 14, 2022
MrColdsweat:
It is only during elections that yorubas peddle this "igbos are trying to take Lagos propaganda".

What have ndigbo done in the real world that has induced paranoia in the yorubas?
Please ask them. Perhaps, some Yorubas (not all) believe that since Igbos do their legitimate businesses in Lagos for which they pay tax and live in houses in Lagos for which they pay rent, they are not entitled to vote for a person of their choice. Rather they must vote for a former Lagos State governor, even if they think he is not a good candidate or not vote at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by Arysexy(m): 9:56pm On Aug 14, 2022
Igbos are the last tribe anyone can intimidate.

Let's stop making this election an ethnic one.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 10:01pm On Aug 14, 2022
famouscargo4u:

The ethnic card is being played by a lot of supporters of all the candidates. Infact, I think it is only Peter Obi that is threading caution in this ethnic card syndrome. I read about a particular Yoruba supporter of Peter Obi who complained that sone Yorubas are calling those who do not intend to vote for senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu bastards. He then asked that what of the northerners who do not want to vote for Alhaji Atiku Abubakar or Dr. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, that are they bastards too?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 10:04pm On Aug 14, 2022
henryobinna:
Good point. Some people are good at accusing others of what they are doing even more. Is that not a definition of hypocrisy?
Re: Will Igbos Living In Lagos Be Intimidated From Voting In 2023? by FreedomfromtheT: 10:05pm On Aug 14, 2022
ipobcannibals:
Will Yoruba and Hausa living in Igboland be allowed to vote in the SE?
I think so. Please has any non Igbo complained of intimidation by Igbos in Igboland during elections?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Are Peter Obi Commissioners, Aids In His Tenure? Why Is He Alone? / Northerners React To Tinubu Grassroot Campaign / Wild Jubilation In Edo State As Peter Obi Lands For Round 2 Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.