Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,652 members, 7,813,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 (7754 Views)

No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". / South African,Egyptian Universities Dominate Africa's Top 30 Universities List / No Nigerian University Made It To The Top 1000 Universities In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 7:13am On Aug 05, 2011
No Nigerian varsity in Africa's top 10  Education      Thursday, August 4, 2011 By Lawani Mikairu The falling standard of education in Nigeria was  again brought to the fore weekend when in a  survey published by Webometrics , the ranking  Web of World Universities, ranking 2,500   universities surveyed in Africa, no Nigerian  University made the Top 10  Africa Universities. South African-based institutions topped the  continental ranking with University of Cape  Town taking the lead. This is closely followed by  the University of Pretoria, South Africa in second position, next comes Stellenbosch University also in South. Africa in third position. The University of  Witwatersrand, South Africa comes fourth,while  University of Kwazulu Natal,South Africa is fifth.  The sixth position is occupied by Rhodes  University,South Africa. In seventh position is  University of the Western Cape, South Africa. South-Africa dominance is challenged by the  Cairo University in Egypt which is eight in  ranking. This is closely followed by University of  South Africa ,South Africa in nineth position, and  Makerere University, Uganda in tenth position. Of interest is Makerere University which has  maintained its 10 th position among Africa's best  ranked 100  universities, according to the  Webometrics survey. It is the only Ugandan  university listed in the survey. In the survey,  published on Friday, the university improved in  world ranking by 146  positions from 1,402 th in  February to 1,256 th. Other universities in the region are University of Khartoum-Sudan (18 th), University of Nairobi- Kenya (26 th), University of Dar er Salam - Tanzania (38 th), Kenyatta University (58 th) and  National University of Rwanda at 78 th.The  rankings, are based on web publications, the  visibility of a university on the Internet, the  volume of its publications, and the general  impact of the information published on its web  pages. Also a ranking by Turkey-based Informatics  Institute of the Middle East Technical University,  put the 89 -year-old Makerere University on the  8th position out of 2,500  universities surveyed in Africa in 2010 .
http://odili.net/news/source/2011/aug/4/315.html
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 7:17am On Aug 05, 2011
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by ektbear: 7:50am On Aug 05, 2011
How do they rank the schools, out of curiosity? What metrics?
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 8:03am On Aug 05, 2011
@ektbear, if you click on the link that takes you to the page, you can find that out on the ranking order button or so
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:04am On Aug 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

it is based on the number of people with jobs from those universities( foreign expertirstes) etc

also merits, (number of first class)

number of students in ur universities
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 8:11am On Aug 05, 2011
Aljharam grow up.

@ektbear
Objectives of the Webometrics Ranking of World' s Universities      The original aim of the Ranking was to  promote Web publication. Supporting Open  Access initiatives, electronic access to scientific  publications and to other academic material are  our primary targets. However web indicators are very useful for ranking purposes too as they are  not based on number of visits or page design but  on the global performance and visibility of the  universities.      As other rankings focused only on a few  relevant aspects, specially research results, web  indicators based ranking reflects better the  whole picture, as many other activities of  professors and researchers are showed by their  web presence.      The Web covers not only  only formal (e- journals, repositories) but also informal scholarly communication. Web publication is cheaper,  maintaining the high standards of quality of peer review processes. It could also reach much larger  potential audiences, offering access  to scientific  knowledge to researchers and institutions  located in developing countries and also to third  parties (economic, industrial, political or cultural  stakeholders) in their own community.      The Webometrics ranking has a larger  coverage than other similar rankings (see table  below). The ranking is not only focused on  research results but also in other indicators  which may reflect better the global quality of  the scholar and research institutions worldwide.      We intend to motivate both institutions and  scholars to have a  web presence that reflect  accurately their activities.  If the web performance of an institution is below the  expected position according to their academic  excellence, university authorities should  reconsider their web policy,  promoting  substantial increases of the volume and quality  of their electronic  publications.      Candidate students should use additional  criteria if they are trying to choose university.  webometrics Ranking correlates well with  q
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:20am On Aug 05, 2011
edoyad:

Aljharam grow up.

@ektbear

what do you mean by that ?

what did i say to warrant your statement

alj_harem:

it is based on the number of people with jobs from those universities( foreign expertirstes) etc

also merits, (number of first class)

number of students in your universities

alj_harem:

u don start again
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Ajibel(m): 8:25am On Aug 05, 2011
Abeg which one be UNIBIA , But this is embarrassing,SA taking the lead, where are the likes of my university,UNILAG and the rest;OAU,UI etc, dont mention madonna
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:27am On Aug 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

College and university rankings are lists of institutions in higher education, ordered by combinations of factors. In addition to entire institutions, specific programs, departments, and schools are ranked. Rankings are conducted by magazines, newspapers, governments and academics.
Various rankings consider measures of research excellence and/or influence, student choices, eventual success and/or demographics, on surveys, and others. Some rankings evaluate institutions within a single country, while others assess institutions worldwide. The subject has produced much debate about rankings' usefulness and accuracy. The expanding diversity in rating methodologies and accompanying criticisms of each indicate the lack of consensus in the field.
Rankings are often consulted by prospective students in the university and college admissions process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_and_university_rankings
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:30am On Aug 05, 2011
No, Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. lollz, How dem go dey even top 100? Giant of Africa my ass. Have dey finish looting the system.

Tribal reasoning don finish for the poverty common man dat gives corrupt leaders support to loot system for Oduduwa. No. If na joke, jus stop am becos Top 40 is too good for Nigeria.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:35am On Aug 05, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

No, Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. lollz, How dem go dey even top 100? Giant of Africa my Bottom. Have dey finish looting the system.

Tribal reasoning don finish for the poverty common man dat gives corrupt leaders support to loot system for Oduduwa. No. If na joke, jus stop am becos Top 40 is too good for Nigeria.

are u making sense at all undecided what does tribalism or oduduwa got to do with this. is this jealousy or what

1. corruption in the educational system

2. the standards are low, students are thought to memorise rather than learn

3. No work placement thus no proper field on experience

4. the lectures are not really qualified

5. no proper equipments for the students to use to for there academic experience
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 8:36am On Aug 05, 2011
alj_harem:
what do you mean by that ?what did i say to warrant your statement

alj_harem:
it is based on the number of people with jobs from those universities( foreign expertirstes) etcalso merits, (number of first class) number of students in your universities
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:40am On Aug 05, 2011
edoyad:

alj_harem:

College and university rankings are lists of institutions in higher education, ordered by combinations of factors. In addition to entire institutions, specific programs, departments, and schools are ranked. Rankings are conducted by magazines, newspapers, governments and academics.
Various rankings consider measures of research excellence and/or influence, student choices, eventual success and/or demographics, on surveys, and others. Some rankings evaluate institutions within a single country, while others assess institutions worldwide. The subject has produced much debate about rankings' usefulness and accuracy. The expanding diversity in rating methodologies and accompanying criticisms of each indicate the lack of consensus in the field.
Rankings are often consulted by prospective students in the university and college admissions process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_and_university_rankings

so with is wrong in what I said
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:43am On Aug 05, 2011
alj_harem:

are u making sense at all undecided what does tribalism or oduduwa got to do with this. is this jealousy or what

1. corruption in the educational system

2. the standards are low, students are thought to memorise rather than learn

3. No work placement thus no proper field on experience

4. the lectures are not really qualified

5. no proper equipments for the students to use to for there academic experience

I suppose all that u listed above has nothing to do with adequate Gov funding. lollz Just keep supporting ur corrupt leaders to loot the system for Oduduwa. It is not like dey give u any. Strictly for the family.  grin grin grin
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 8:46am On Aug 05, 2011
Aljharam, i'm not replyins you any more, did wiki conduct the rankings ?
After you answer that, why don't you take your lazy fingers to the page of the people who did and click on, "about the ranking"
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:46am On Aug 05, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

I suppose all that u listed above has nothing to do with adequate Gov funding. lollz Just keep supporting your corrupt leaders to loot the system for Oduduwa. It is not like dey give u any. Strictly for the family.  grin grin grin

again it has nothing to do with oduduwa  or any tribalism you are trying to add to this

I am not supporting any corrupt government. You are right about the adequate funds

but there are some reforms that needs to be done in our educational sector

don't u think so
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by aljharem3: 8:51am On Aug 05, 2011
edoyad:

Aljharam, i'm not replyins you any more, did wiki conduct the rankings ?
After you answer that, why don't you take your lazy fingers to the page of the people who did and click on, "about the ranking"

Lol ok

quality of education

internationalized

size

research output

impact

prestige

thanks, http://www.webometrics.info/about_rank.html
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:57am On Aug 05, 2011
alj_harem:

You are right about the adequate funds but there are some reforms that needs to be done in our educational sector

don't u think so

Yes, the whole sorry excuse for universities converted to hall of residency while new state of the art Learning Centre, Student and lecture hall, Staff Offices and various other facilities are put in place with more hall of residences.

OmoLisabi:

University of Ibadan and University of Ilorin in the first 50 are in Oduduwa Republic. Ibos on the losing side again

As for u keep eating crumbs and never loaf. My Oduduwa brother as i know u.  grin
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by londoner: 12:05pm On Aug 05, 2011
Well, I'm sure that is not a surprise to anyone here.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 05, 2011
Oh my gosh! The ghanaian school I attended is ranked 13th in Africa! Way to go Ghana! 9ja you can continue to dull yourself, no shaking. Hahahaha
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 12:57pm On Aug 05, 2011
Stromae:

Oh my gosh! The ghanaian school I attended is ranked 13th in Africa! Way to go Ghana! 9ja you can continue to dull yourself, no shaking. Hahahaha

guy i've had exchanges with your Ghanian graduate friends, and to be honest they're not impressive at all. Even Covenant University produces better material.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 05, 2011
edoyad:

guy i've had exchanges with your Ghanian graduate friends, and to be honest they're not impressive at all. Even Covenant University produces better material.

hey now, why are you grouping all ghanaian schools together? Even if those people you interacted with are from this particular school, they could below average. Afterall when i entered camp there was a girl from covenant that kept making silly mistakes in her forms, yet i won't say covenant is a bad institution.

The truth is i've seen both ghanaian institutions and nigerian institutions and Nigeria cannot compare when you factor in the use of ICT, research, etc. Note that I am in no way saying ghanaian students are better, just the institutions.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by edoyad(m): 2:25pm On Aug 05, 2011
Stromae:

hey now, why are you grouping all ghanaian schools together? Even if those people you interacted with are from this particular school, they could below average. Afterall when i entered camp there was a girl from covenant that kept making silly mistakes in her forms, yet i won't say covenant is a bad institution.

The truth is i've seen both ghanaian institutions and nigerian institutions and Nigeria cannot compare when you factor in the use of ICT, research, etc. Note that I am in no way saying ghanaian students are better, just the institutions.

Point taken
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by eghost247(m): 3:22pm On Aug 05, 2011
Gbagaun lol
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by olapluto(m): 3:43pm On Aug 05, 2011
How objective are they? I think the quality of graduates should take precedence over employment prospects. Moreover, I do not think this ranking means Nigerian universities are not amongst the top, it only means we do not put our research online as much as we should. I think a reasonable ranking will have at least 3 Nigerian universities in top 10.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by kaze4blues(m): 3:44pm On Aug 05, 2011
Very pathetic
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 05, 2011
This is expected!
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by udochika(m): 4:17pm On Aug 05, 2011
they should have RANK the best STUDENT lets see if SA will be in top 100. no b 2 fine 4 face b koko na watin u produce matter.FUKC nndi ocha,
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by houvest: 4:45pm On Aug 05, 2011
Funny ranking methodology. Who are these people? Their methods do not have depth neither are they verifiable or transparent.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Natasha2(f): 5:30pm On Aug 05, 2011
how many times will people talk about this? undecided
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Nobody: 5:32pm On Aug 05, 2011
Thought OAU Is the among the best in West Africa?
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Patsey: 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2011
It's clearly a delusion if people think Nigeria education, as it stands, is anything to write home about. Safe for individuals who are determined to make it academicall and hence go the extra mile, the majority of Nigerian certificates are not worth the paper they're written on.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb’s Computer-based Test Will Curb Exam Malpractice, Says Registrar / 2015/2016 UNIBEN Direct Entry Aspirants / Get Delta State University Delsu Post Ume Past Question/answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.