Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,172 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 (7764 Views)

No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700". / South African,Egyptian Universities Dominate Africa's Top 30 Universities List / No Nigerian University Made It To The Top 1000 Universities In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by markjac01: 5:58pm On Aug 05, 2011
dis is d worst/weakest basis for rating universities. . . SMH
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Misbee(f): 6:02pm On Aug 05, 2011
so watz up wit d news on 2day's PUNCH,dat CU(covenant uni)is d best private uni in Nigeria.pls check 2day's PUNCH
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by dayokanu(m): 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2011
Na wa oo
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by playmode(m): 6:16pm On Aug 05, 2011
Abeg make dem go siddon.From a guy on the ground ,SA universities are overated,most of the student ate typical olodos.

Yes SA universities are top notch but the graduates they produce are not!
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by mamagee3(f): 7:21pm On Aug 05, 2011
I thought the University of Ibadan and UNN are one of the best in Africa. . .

Shows you that some nigerians tag schools as the best in the world when they are not even close to being the best in their continent
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Gbenge77(m): 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2011
playmode:

Abeg make dem go siddon.From a guy on the ground ,SA universities are overated,most of the student ate typical olodos.

thats right.
playmode:

thats right.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Nija4Life(m): 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2011
Why is anyone remotely surprised about the outcome of this ranking?
Whether you agree with the methodology used for the ranking or not is not the issue, the reality is that our universities are living on past glories.
Nigerian Universities are over-subscribed because quite frankly we have far too many young people who have somehow got themselves into universities but have no business being there. This is due to the open-door approach to university education successive governments have adopted in the last 20 odd years or thereabout. As if the problem of inadequate funding is not enough, we now have universities that are carrying capacities way beyond them and this has led to decay in infrastrcuture, cultism, female promiscuity and the inevitable drop in standards.

There is also the crisis of a possible shortage of teaching staff that is looming for Nigerian universities. This is because the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) announced in April to upgrade the minimum requirement to teach in Universities to a doctorate degree and rightly so in my view. But then they are faced with the problem of getting people to supervise doctorate students due to the shortage of Associate Professors and Professors who are those allowed to supervise doctorate students. I understand this is likely to affect about 150,000 academic staff, you then wonder how many will be left to teach if this changes go ahead.

The quality of students that end up in universities as I alluded to earlier are in the decline. We then have to look at what type of education is on offer at primary and secondary level. The failure by successive governments to invest heavily in both infrastructure in schools; teaching and learning resources and more importantly a rigorous teacher education and training programme. The unattractiveness to teaching because of poor remuneration and other conditions of service has left the profession with a negative perception as one that is for people who perhaps didn't do well enough to go to university.

If you sum up all these issues coupled with corruption and ineptitude in the way our schools are run it's no surprise the quality in the pool of students that universities are likely to admit is getting thinner. The recent poor University Matriculation Exams (UME) results is a clear indication that all is not well in primary and secondary school education. You will never have a good university system if the primary and secondary schools that serves as feeder schools are themselves poor in standards.

I have written in more depth about this and more in my education blog: http://www.hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com/
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Serendipity: 1:49am On Aug 06, 2011
Onye kpoo oba ya nkpokoro, agbatobi ewere ya kpoo ntu
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Serendipity: 1:51am On Aug 06, 2011
Very asinine to only base ranking on school visibility, research contributions online and other related indices.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by japhet2233: 2:38am On Aug 06, 2011
na dem sabi with there ranking watin concern us , he dey pain all africa country bc we no want divide if them like make dem put US for 10000000000000000000000000 he no concern us , watin i know be say we no dey share we are one if them no like am make dem go kiss craze woman thank u grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by syanopra(m): 7:10am On Aug 06, 2011
God pls giv me d opportunity 2 getout of dis country im ashamed of y'all
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Sike(m): 7:15am On Aug 06, 2011
Fvck Ranking. Who Cares! A ni ti emi ati awon Omo mi bati learn. . Ki lo tu remain Abegi!
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by kinguy(m): 8:08am On Aug 06, 2011
F U C K thier S H I T all i know UNIBEN remain no.1 university in africa, 4 d world sef, dem dey mad. coz if we have access to half d facilities of those sch, my broda naffin can stop we 4rm lipsrsealed but i de shame 4 government, durin obj we were rankin among top 20, we do not need [/s][/sup]good[s]luck[sup] we need good government undecided dont u think??
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by searay(m): 9:03am On Aug 06, 2011
edoyad:

Point taken

Well if u r saying that one of d criteria is ict then u r equally saying that Nigerians r not good in ict.- yahoo can testify dis. Ict in nigeria is not a matter of going to d versity in 9ja.

I don't care about any ranking, because if there is any short comings the NUC should b blame, they r responsible for d accreditation of dis versities n their standard should meet with that of their counterpart in d countinent.

Meanwhile this is the latest ranking n Nigeria versities top the first 60:
1) University of Uyo,Uyo
2)AKUST
3)UI(where i will do my masters)
4)UNICAL
5)FUTO
60)Akwa ibom International university of Agriculture( yet to be establish)
61) Capetown university
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Tunsbobo(m): 11:52am On Aug 06, 2011
Covenant university is in the top hundred
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Cbliz(m): 1:01pm On Aug 06, 2011
let us nt deceive ourselve,nigerian universities are noting 2 write home about.Those that achieve xcellence,achieve it as a result of their discipline nt d school they attended.
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by solbil: 1:08pm On Aug 06, 2011
so you nigerians are beginning to see that you are nothing
you people have a false opinion of yourselves.
giant of africa indeed!

there is nothing big about your country. its packed up with 419ers, scammers drug cartels etc
if you are looking for the worst things in the world, go to nigeria.
its the worst country in the world no wonder your president  wears a black attire to symbolise your backwardness
do you think a currupt society can produce the best of all unis. get out!!!!!!!
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Geds: 2:33pm On Aug 06, 2011
It's not as bad as we all paint it, it's just that our professors and lecturers have refused to publish their research works online. The truth is, some Nigerian universities are far better than most of the universities listed here, at least U.I. is, or can you really say that University of Mogadishu in Somalia, which has been listed higher than all Nigerian Universities, is better?
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by mamagee3(f): 8:57pm On Aug 06, 2011
solbil:

[size=52pt]so you nigerians are beginning to see that you are nothing[/size]you people have a false opinion of yourselves.
giant of africa indeed!

there is nothing big about your country. its packed up with 419ers, scammers drug cartels etc
if you are looking for the worst things in the world, go to nigeria.
its the worst country in the world no wonder your president wears a black attire to symbolise your backwardness
do you think a currupt society can produce the best of all unis. get out!!!!!!!
No, actually. . .Cretins like you are nothing. . .

Nigerians are the best in Africa, get it into your skull. cool
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by chukwudi01: 9:19pm On Aug 06, 2011
Calm down, hotheads. The website is ranking universities based on their online presence. This isn't some USNews list that ranks schools based on actual performance, quality of students/faculty/facilities, etc.
http://www.webometrics.info/about_rank.html
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by saintugo(m): 11:00pm On Aug 06, 2011
Nigeria Has a Long Way To Go, sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by ghanason: 6:43pm On Aug 07, 2011
Now we know Ghana schools better than Naija. But seriously, Ghana shd have been no.1 considering the fact that we were the first in Africa soth of the Sahara to gain independence. Naija bros no hard feelings eeh.You know what? the writer of the post was not being fair to you in that they could have made the list up to 50 then you will have some of your universities in there. Because at 41 is a Nigerian university, right? But don't forget ooo, Ghana go score Naija again! The last time we met we gave you one painful goal, by Asamoah Gyan. Those were our babies. On tuesday night there will be mass mourning in Naija. hahahaha, lol
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by belemzy: 10:40pm On Aug 07, 2011
What do you expect.Best university my ass.When you end up spending 6years for a 4 years course.Una really get Hope o! embarassed
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by solbil: 6:29pm On Aug 08, 2011
No, actually. . .Cretins like you are nothing. . .

Nigerians are the best in Africa, get it into your skull.

so you think
but i am going to reply you with what one of you said. philip emegwali.
"ideas are what changes a country not money"
we all know that education is what makes you have good ideas.
so if you are the best educated africans, if you have professionals like you say you have, why, then, is your country as backward as it is? why then is it home of drug cartels and terrorists? why then is it the most corrupt country in the world. why then are they not worth the air they breath in?

pls wake up to reality
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by dipson2009: 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2011
NEGATIVE, CHECK FOR TOP 100 UNIVERSITY IN AFRICA FOR 2011 AND YOU WILL FIND UP TO 4 NIGERIA UNIVERSITY IN THE FIRST 40, LOL
Re: No Nigerian University Among Africa's Top 40. . .ui-41, Ilorin-42,abu-43 by Hambolaj01(m): 11:04am On Aug 15, 2011
Nigeria. WHERE ARE WE GOING? South Africa, the best in the continent.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jamb’s Computer-based Test Will Curb Exam Malpractice, Says Registrar / This Is The Senate Building Of A University In Western Nigeria. / 66 Lecturers Promoted To Professorial Cadre At Unilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.