Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,709 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? (11967 Views)

Your Thought On Companies Asking For A Collateral/binding Agreement B4 Employmnt / 4 Harmful Terms In Your Employment Contract / How To Reject An Employment Offer After Initially Accepting It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Iamyemmie: 12:48pm On Aug 15, 2022
So if I sign a contract this month and I see a better offer next month can I just quit??
Or they can sue me?
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by graphics107: 3:43pm On Aug 15, 2022
shocked
First of all connect me to the current one before you quit.
Man dey find money make e dey alright biko

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by visijo(m): 3:43pm On Aug 15, 2022
Sorry.... How does Polygamy work?

If he wears the ring on the women's fingers, will he wear 5 rings on his wedding fingers? �

7 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by brosom(m): 3:43pm On Aug 15, 2022
The elders knows better!

Here to learn.
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Searchingvictor: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
Hmm
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by TempUser: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
Refer to your letter of appointment and note the terms therein. If none says anything about contract termination, it's either you give a month's notice or forfeit a month's salary.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by NaijaGoBetter20: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
Depending on the nature of the job and the contract you signed.

Some companies have secrecy that they are keeping for years which still makes their company relevant and some are job open contracts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by MrRobot: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
As legal as any other contract. Duh!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Dialpad: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
Why sign what you cannot adhere to ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by 6sco: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
It depends on the terms of the contract and the connections of your employer, you can be sued if you go against the terms of the contract, but this is Nigeria sha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by lawrenzooo: 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2022
Once you put pen to paper then it is binding...
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Cerebellum: 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2022
You'll be sued or punished depending on what the consequence says on your offer letter.

graphics107:
shocked
First of all connect me to the current one before you quit.
Man dey find money make e dey alright biko

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by youngelder(m): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2022
Lemme wait for others before i comment
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by rico73(m): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2022
Once you sign the doted lines you're to respect the contract. So it's legally binding you to respect the terms and conditions of that organization as specified in the contract.
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by socialmediaman: 3:46pm On Aug 15, 2022
It’s usually binding and probably enforceable but to what extent depends on the terms of the contract.

If it states that you can’t disengage from the contract for a certain period of time, then it should also state the financial penalty if you end the contract prematurely, else it’s probably not enforceable

If it’s a non compete agreement or non disclosure agreement, you also need to see a lawyer to review and see if it satisfies labor laws and whether it’s even a legal agreement in the first place. Some non compete agreements state that you can’t find a job in any other organization one year after you quit theirs, meaning that you can’t earn a living through employment, which makes the agreement invalid if they don’t compensate you enough for the period of unemployment.

I have seen a non compete agreement that stated that you can’t use any skills you acquired from the company elsewhere, which is ridiculous

My advise is, seek legal advise. If you can’t afford one, visit the legal aid council in your state with your contract documents so they can help you review and advice, for free

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Ewizard(m): 3:46pm On Aug 15, 2022
From experience, a month notice of resignation is usually the norm here in Nigeria.

But if you don't have upto a month to give, don't worry Nigerian employers are easy to anger. Just show up very late to work 2days in a row with no remorse or reasonable excuse.
You will be fired on the third day.

Congrats on quitting your job with no legal consequence.

33 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Lawalabiodun(m): 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2022
Be prepared to be sue, unless you have a powerful individuals who knows one or two strong personality within the said organization.

1 Like

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Yankee101: 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2022
Very binding
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by EmmyDJourno: 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2022
Highly binding
Every entry clause must have an exit
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Calorie: 3:48pm On Aug 15, 2022
If you have accepted the offer, you need to keep to the term of the employment contract. In most cases, it only requires two weeks notice since you are possibly still on probation
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Jojopikin85: 3:48pm On Aug 15, 2022
Iamyemmie:
So if I sign a contract this month and I see a better offer next month can I just quit??
Or they can sue me?
for me personally i have signed many employment contract and resign when i get a better offer. Nothing go happen

7 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by sparko1(m): 3:48pm On Aug 15, 2022
Iamyemmie:
Or they can sue me?

Yes they can, as a matter of fact, you have to give 14 days notice by law, some companies 4 weeks, after a formal handover.

Employment contract is very binding, but in Nigeria we don't read it, we don't care about it, once we are employed we are off to church giving testimony, trust me, some employment contract are so convoluted that you require a lawyer to understand.

Speak to a lawyer, intellectual property rights sometimes can destroy someone, especially when there's a NDA attached.

2 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by DJGiore: 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2022
get your lawyer to read and interpret to if you dont want your employer to sue you to teeth....
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Techmac00: 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2022
Resigned from my former employer last month, out of anger, the Owner refused to pay me.

They said I didn't give them prior notice.

The question is am I supposed to give them prior notice since I wasn't given an employment letter?

100k just gone like that. But when there's life, there's hope.

I have taken their website off Google search engine, won't be the only looser here.

10 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Mandesz(m): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2022
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. No cost system in accounting. Everyway is a way.
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by stampo: 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2022
Sure, it becomes a working document the moment you append your signature on it .
Most of contract documents are prepared by legal team of an organization.

It's not what you sign in a hurry cos your signature confirm that you understand and agree to wat you have signed.

Vis visa... U can be sued and u can sue them in an event of contract termination especially if it's out of a reason to terminate as contained in d document.

1 Like

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Olumaeme: 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2022
Read the terms and conditions also with what the law says.

Yes, you can leave an employment whenever you like, nobody signs there life and freedom away, but there are usually better ways to handled it.

Even if you leave without quiting properly, your company may d decide to let you go but could blacklist you or may decide not to pay your benefits.

4 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by melodyogonna(m): 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2022
There is a notice period na
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Musty112: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2022
We dont sue and get sued enough in this country. That's why a lot of people get away with a lot of shit. Who is to blame sha when we've got what we've got for a judicial system

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by BESTScientist1: 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2022
Mmm
Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Offpoint1: 3:56pm On Aug 15, 2022
It depends if you're "QUITING" the job or "RESIGNING"

There's difference between "Quiting" and "Resigning"

Resigning is following due process, while quiting is calling your boss by 2am telling "Oga you see that your work? I no do again, I wan dey my papa house dey rest... Thank you"

Or just vanish

2 Likes

Re: How Legally Binding Is An Employment Contract? by Wallade(m): 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2022
Iamyemmie:
Or they can sue me?

Tender your resignation letter with or without a few days notice for handover, you are still under probation anyway - you are not a confirmed staff.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Check If Your Name Is On The Npower Posting List On Npower Portal / Oando Past Questions And Answers / 8 Tips For Dealing With Job Rejection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.