Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,423 members, 7,812,241 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) (2336 Views)

How Do I ,a Noob,get Strted In Android Dev ? / Whatsapp Group For Kotlin Users/developers / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Iambro(m): 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2022
Are you leaning from Android documentation?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2022
qtguru:

See to get the best performance just use a test phone so you can spare your computer ram.

Yeah, Il looking into that path too. The android phone available to me right now is faulty, so that may, or may not work.
Seems like i will have to dualboot linux eventually later on. Running the emulator in a separate window seems to help a bit for now too,on the side of RAM. Its Mr. Gradle Build that wants to murder my tiny processor
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2022
Iambro:
Are you leaning from Android documentation?
Are you refering to the official courses on developers.google.com? if yes, I actually started there, but given i had been learning java before, and the initial pace was quite slow, i ditched it first.

i went to youtube to get some Kotlin crash course videos to get me up to speend on the peculiarities of the language. Having done that, now, i try to look at (youtube,mostly) tutorials that focus on specific components such as retrofit, dependency injections, etc. I also folow tutorials that actually teach how to build a specific app from start to finish.

intrestingly, i went back to the official android developers platform yesterday, because i wanted to build my google developer profile (https://g.dev/Toluwani). I took few quizzes there yesterday, and earned the badges, without fully going through the content. I'm doing this so i can get the google certified developer associate
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2022
ViewModel and LiveData
Ahmean, i get the general gist, but not the full intricacies embarassed embarassed embarassed

God-u abeg ooo
who go epp ooo
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 1:34pm On Aug 31, 2022
tmanis:
ViewModel and LiveData
Ahmean, i get the general gist, but not the full intricacies embarassed embarassed embarassed

God-u abeg ooo
who go epp ooo

Pls I am curious by what you mean here
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 2:39pm On Aug 31, 2022
qtguru:

Pls I am curious by what you mean here

I dont Know if youre familiar with android app lifecycle from onCreate() to ondestroy(). So what I mean is that sometimes when the system calls onPause() function on your app while it is running (by maybe rotating the screen, or call comes in, or you navigate to the homepage) , by the time it calls onResume() if the user is working with som data that has not been sent to storage, that data will be lost. The broad gist now is that ViewModel helps you to store that data, so its not lost, and LiveData helps you to keep updating the UI, such as changing the values of a TextView in real time from the LiveData without needing to manually write code to do that outside of the ViewModel class

I dont know if i explained it well, but thats how i understand it

2 Likes

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Telegon: 9:25pm On Aug 31, 2022
tmanis:

I dont Know if youre familiar with android app lifecycle from onCreate() to ondestroy(). So what I mean is that sometimes when the system calls onPause() function on your app while it is running (by maybe rotating the screen, or call comes in, or you navigate to the homepage) , by the time it calls onResume() if the user is working with som data that has not been sent to storage, that data will be lost. The broad gist now is that ViewModel helps you to store that data, so its not lost, and LiveData helps you to keep updating the UI, such as changing the values of a TextView in real time from the LiveData without needing to manually write code to do that outside of the ViewModel class

Wow bro, I love your learning pace. But I'm curious about your way of storing data, isn't onSaveInstanceState method easier to use to store data than these two classes (PS I have never used the classes).
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by islamics(m): 5:55pm On Sep 03, 2022
@ tmanis, you did well with the explanation to our Oga.

@ Telegon, savedInstance is still there but the modern way of designing android app prefer you to use ViewModel/LiveData and it is use in the MVVM pattern of design.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Telegon: 7:29pm On Sep 03, 2022
islamics:
@ tmanis, you did well with the explanation to our Oga.

@ Telegon, savedInstance is still there but the modern way of designing android app prefer you to use ViewModel/LiveData and it is use in the MVVM pattern of design.

Thank you bro, I've also read the docs and I've seen that ViewModel is the best suitable for storing large amount of data. Seems my learning resource is outdated.

And op should keep up the good work of updating the thread, also with his sources of learning
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by islamics(m): 8:35pm On Sep 03, 2022
Telegon:

And op should keep up the good work of updating the thread, also with his sources of learning
Yes the op should keep it up. I think he mention his source of learning as the docs so far.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 03, 2022
tmanis:

App development sure seems like a lot shocked
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 11:15pm On Sep 03, 2022
tmanis:

Yes I am familiar with it, and also familiar with the Activity destroyed and re-created during Landscape mode, I most likely will force a landscape mode only.

But amazing work.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 2:43pm On Sep 08, 2022
An ex colleague is looking for Native Android Kotlin for POS, it's Interswitch reach out to me if interested.
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by tmanis(m): 8:26pm On Sep 11, 2022
qtguru:
An ex colleague is looking for Native Android Kotlin for POS, it's Interswitch reach out to me if interested.
Hello boss, I did not get the mention for this. I am just seeing this now, and I would like to discuss this further. I sent a message through the Nairaland mail. Thanks
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by odinson1(m): 8:36pm On Sep 12, 2022
tmanis:
The last UI layout i created.. will work on further refinements as time goes on

Hey bro what internet plan do you use for your computer?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 9:07pm On Sep 12, 2022
Someone should open a Flutter update thread for us

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
qtguru:
Make the usual suspects con derail am?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 9:21pm On Sep 12, 2022
DrLevi:

Make the usual suspects con derail am?

TastyFriedPussy, and LikeAKing are not that jobless to do such. besides, there will be progress. it will make no sense to hate or discourage. it's not like it's a thread for beginners.

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by XXII: 11:32am On Sep 14, 2022
qtguru:

Would be nice..
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by teewhydope(m): 3:46pm On Sep 14, 2022
Runningwater:

I'm curious do you plan on working for Google or it's branches? shocked Cause employers of labour would mostly prefer java except you got convincing words to tell employers why to choose kotlin.

If I were you, I would go for java first then kotlin second.

Lol stop trolling, except for companies that doesn't want to migrate their legacy codes to kotlin yet (mostly sdks), you have no reason developing new android apps with java. There's more to learn with kotlin... jetpack compose, kotlin multiplatform mobile etc.

1 Like

Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2022
teewhydope:

Lol stop trolling, except for companies that doesn't want to migrate their legacy codes to kotlin yet (mostly sdks), you have no reason developing new android apps with java. There's more to learn with kotlin... jetpack compose, kotlin multiplatform mobile etc.

Agreed too, because the new focus is on Kotlin, I still feel legacy codes are still in Android, but Kotlin has more advantage, is the build time really that slow compared to Java ?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by teewhydope(m): 11:08am On Sep 15, 2022
qtguru:

Agreed too, because the new focus is on Kotlin, I still feel legacy codes are still in Android, but Kotlin has more advantage, is the build time really that slow compared to Java ?
Yes for a clean build, but 15-20 seconds gain is not something you can live with. I use a 32gb ram mac so i hardly have to worry about compilation time except for very large projects which takes close to 10mins
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by qtguru(m): 1:00pm On Sep 15, 2022
teewhydope:

Yes for a clean build, but 15-20 seconds gain is not something you can live with. I use a 32gb ram mac so i hardly have to worry about compilation time except for very large projects which takes close to 10mins

Yeah thanks I have basic Java SE Knowledge and Thread, appreciate for the response and also damn 32GB RAM. M1 ?
Re: Journey To Becoming A Native Android Dev (kotlin) by teewhydope(m): 9:09am On Sep 16, 2022
qtguru:

Yeah thanks I have basic Java SE Knowledge and Thread, appreciate for the response and also damn 32GB RAM. M1 ?
yes boss

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience On A Software Project / Your Career Is Your Future,get Best Web Development Training With Yemlat / Machine Learning On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.