Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? (819 Views)

Why Do People Do This After The Death Of Their Parents? / Do Wives Owe Their Husband Sex ? / At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by HowardWolowitz: 11:07am On Aug 16, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Islandlady(f): 11:15am On Aug 16, 2022
YES, I strongly believe that as a child, if your parents have provided for you, trained and invested in you to become a better person in the nearest future!

It is the law of nature and humanity that makes children to take care of their parents not by force toh!

It is necessary to repatriate this good deeds back to them as they grow old and fragile!

To crown it all, May we have kind and compassionate children, not the heartless ones!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by advanceDNA: 11:22am On Aug 16, 2022
No one forces anybody to care....i've not seen any law that says one must care for parent or go to jail......there's only law for child supoort and spouse....

Caring for parent or other family is just seen as a moral thing to do if you have the resources...so people only expect you to out of being the right thing ....just as people tackle rich celebs and other rich folks for not helping the community they came out from.... its a moral thing

So Whats your point exactly?? people should care for their parents at all because they ddnt ask to come to this world.??.. or parents shouldnt ask their children for help when they need...??

Heck!! Strangers i dont know ask me for help and i do it...sometimes i help without them asking...its just a moral thing to do...

Jeez !!!!What is wrong becoming of humanity

1 Like

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Klass99(f): 11:50am On Aug 16, 2022

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by crackhaus: 12:00pm On Aug 16, 2022
HowardWolowitz:
Many times crimes are traced to children who want to give all they have to make sure their parents are in good condition, of course, that is good. My point exactly is that children do not owe their parents obligations to repatriate all deeds.

The concept of children's birth comes with the luxury of choice and consent, people get pregnant because they want to get pregnant, either
accidentally or not, even if mistakes occur I THINK abortion before the formative of the child in the first four weeks might be legal, but I am not sure. This all adds up to the fact that most times keeping a child is CHOICE.

At a point when the child gives no consent of their own, you are then principally obligated to care for them, government can act in certain situations where there is foul play in child care and that is the extent of how obligated parents are.

My point:

Since you consent to the childbirth without the child's consent, the child owes you no obligation to do the same, IT SHOULD BE THE CHILD CHOICE TO EITHER PROVIDE OR NOT.

What is your take?

#Front page

cc:lalasticala cc:seun cc:mynd44

Hii...

Come back in about 60years, we'll see what you still think about this. I pray God keeps us all alive. cool

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2022
Klass99:

First of all, this is an interesting topic/question.
Secondly, I strongly disagree with your take, I am on the opposite side of your thoughts.

Granted, having children is a personal choice and while most of us didn't consent to being born or being here, I personally enjoy being alive and love the things I have experienced as a child and as an adult. All my life experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly have contributed to the woman I am today and a nice life. Not perfect but nice.

I am grateful to God for the gift of this earthly life and grateful for parents who taught me how to swim (I love swimming) who provided formal and informal quality education, provided food, shelter, clothing amongst other things and gave me the tools/chance to succeed at life.

The way I see it my parents took good care of me as a child and now that they are old, retired and worn out, it is my pleasure to reciprocate that same care, to do good, do right and do well by them, as much as possible before any of us passes on.

Me, I like that I was born whether or not I had a say in the matter. The littlest things in life light up my heart and soul so much, like petting my neighbour's dog, dark clouds and rainy weather, the beauty of nature itself (sunlight, trees, green grass, the blue sky with clouds etc) The electronic giant LG didn't lie when they said life is good.

Good take my dear...its actually expected that children should take care of their parents but on the other hand I think it's easier said because you had parents that actually catered for you..what will you do if lets say your father was sexually abusive towards you or your parents just put you in an orphanage home and when they found out you were successful now tried to come back into your life will you still do the same?

3 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Klass99(f): 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2022

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Epositive(m): 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2022
If you look around, you will realise that not every child cares for their parents, whether with cash favours or sheer compassion. And this inhumane act is regardless of parent's good contribution to that child's upbringing.

Personally, I am of the opinion that a child should strive to take care of his/her parents in his/her own capacity, particularly if they have done the same for you in your formative years. After all, ain't we suppose to care for those we love?
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Kobojunkie: 1:07pm On Aug 16, 2022
HowardWolowitz:
My point:

Since you consent to the childbirth without the child's consent, the child owes you no obligation to do the same, IT SHOULD BE THE CHILD CHOICE TO EITHER PROVIDE OR NOT.
You are right that the choice is the child's and rightly so, hence the reason why there are no laws that mandate such things. undecided
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Epositive(m): 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2022
Islandlady:
YES, I strongly believe that as a child, if your parents have provided for you, trained and invested in you to become a better person in the nearest future!

It is the law of nature and humanity that makes children to take care of their parents not by force toh!

It is necessary to repatriate this good deeds back to them as they grow old and fragile!

To crown it all, May we have kind and compassionate children, not the heartless ones!

yes, and parents should strive to save up against old age. Not every child is compassionate. Besides, the growing trend of individualism among this generation coupled with the bad state of our economy are limiting the child-to-parent expected repatriation.
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 16, 2022
Klass99:

Nah......I am not that nice.

On the other hand a successful relationship with God matters to me, so if His word/spirit guides or instructs me in a certain way (for example forgive others because I have forgiven you and continuously do so) I won't fight or argue with that too much.

I may help such parents once in a while when there's a need and they ask, but we are not going to be chummy chummy neither will I allow them into my life full time. I won't also go above and beyond for them when I am stretched myself. But, with the calibre of parents I am blessed with going above and beyond has never been an issue.

The level and quality of care will not be the same as that shown to parents who cared.

Good take

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:21pm On Aug 16, 2022
I just pity those in Nigeria giving birth and expecting their kids to provide for them. Provide for you with what? Sand or stone. How many jobs are in Nigeria and how many even pay well to care for one person monthly. If you give birth expecting your kids to care for you in old age then you are stupid. What happens to retirement funds, pension plans, investments. Kids that havent even cared for themselves would care for old parents grin grin grin.

People should stop thinking as kids as investments. Even if you send them to the best schools in Nigeria with money you ought to use to plan your retirement theres a 99 percent chance of them being unemployed or underemployed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by alphaNomega: 1:24pm On Aug 16, 2022
Have you noticed it is people from poverty-stricken homes that ask these type of questions?

"Are children supposed to take care of their parents (even in old age)?"

Poverty denied them the opportunity of growing up with the basic needs of being a human being, I'm talking about good quality food, a comfortable home, sound education etc. and when they become adults or start nearing adulthood, they become afraid that they may never experience any luxury in life so they start asking if they should even care for their aging parents.

They ask such so they can justify their acts of neglecting their parents when they are old and frail. Nigerians do not value human life so I am not surprised this kind of debate is in the public space.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Klass99(f): 1:28pm On Aug 16, 2022
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by yemmit90: 1:36pm On Aug 16, 2022
HowardWolowitz:
Many times crimes are traced to children who want to give all they have to make sure their parents are in good condition, of course, that is good. My point exactly is that children do not owe their parents obligations to repatriate all deeds.

The concept of children's birth comes with the luxury of choice and consent, people get pregnant because they want to get pregnant, either
accidentally or not, even if mistakes occur I THINK abortion before the formative of the child in the first four weeks might be legal, but I am not sure. This all adds up to the fact that most times keeping a child is CHOICE.

At a point when the child gives no consent of their own, you are then principally obligated to care for them, government can act in certain situations where there is foul play in child care and that is the extent of how obligated parents are.

My point:

What is your take?

#Front page

cc:lalasticala cc:seun cc:mynd44

Normal thinking of a youth who thought he's too enlighten to read meaning to a natural cause. It is quite unfortunate that the White you people are coping wrongly are not thinking the same way. Go and check very well, majority of them are living with their parents, infact their parents plays a major role in their lives and decisions even as adults.

Anyway, when you start training children, you will know the importance of being taking care of by your children when you are old.
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Acidosis(m): 1:37pm On Aug 16, 2022
If you live a fulfilled life yourself, you wouldn't need your kids to turn your life around financially. If for some reasons, you couldn't achieve all that you planned or wished for, don't force it, just remain hopeful that the forces that worked against you from achieving your dreams won't work against your kids. Nobody has the perfect formula.

Repatriation, in this context, isn't much about what your kids can do for you but more about what you did, what you're doing, and what you can do for your parents. Don't expect your kids to buy you a cow when you couldn't buy a cow tail for your (own) parents.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Kobojunkie: 1:38pm On Aug 16, 2022
alphaNomega:
Have you noticed it is people from poverty-stricken homes that ask these type of questions?
"....
They ask such so they can justify their acts of neglecting their parents when they are old and frail. Nigerians do not value human life so I am not surprised this kind of debate is in the public space.
How sure are you that it is only those from poverty stricken homes that ask these questions? undecided

Are you certain the above is the reason why they ask such questions?. undecided

There is a good reason why the Law does not mandate these things. And it isn't simply because it is on the side of those you consider poverty-stricken. undecided

1 Like

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by SeaTrade(m): 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2022
If you watched your parent(s) struggle and make sacrifices to give you a better life,you won't be saying all these ,that's if you've got a conscience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2022
alphaNomega:

"Are children supposed to take care of their parents (even in old age)?"

Poverty denied them the opportunity of growing up with the basic needs of being a human being, I'm talking about good quality food, a comfortable home, sound education etc. and when they become adults or start nearing adulthood, they become afraid that they may never experience any luxury in life so they start asking if they should even care for their aging parents.

This comment is wickedly and bluntly on point.

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 16, 2022
Acidosis:
If you live a fulfilled life yourself, you wouldn't need your kids to turn your life around financially. If for some reasons, you couldn't achieve all that you planned or wished for, don't force it, just remain hopeful that the forces that worked against you from achieving your dreams won't work against your kids. Nobody has the perfect formula.

Repatriation, in this context, isn't much about what your kids can do for you but more about what you did, what you're doing, and what you can do for your parents. Don't expect your kids to buy you a cow when you couldn't buy a cow tail for your (own) parents.

Also on point.

1 Like

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I just pity those in Nigeria giving birth and expecting their kids to provide for them. Provide for you with what? Sand or stone. How many jobs are in Nigeria and how many even pay well to care for one person monthly. If you give birth expecting your kids to care for you in old age then you are stupid. What happens to retirement funds, pension plans, investments. Kids that havent even cared for themselves would care for old parents grin grin grin.

People should stop thinking as kids as investments. Even if you send them to the best schools in Nigeria with money you ought to use to plan your retirement theres a 99 percent chance of them being unemployed or underemployed lipsrsealed

Why does this f00l delight in spreading his pessimistic venom everywhere on the site? We have heard you Mr.Vasectomy Mr. I am not having children in Nigeria yen yen yen. Abeg rest

5 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Polynek(m): 1:55pm On Aug 16, 2022
Children are sopox to take of there parents.
It is a natural phenomenal
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:56pm On Aug 16, 2022
Grillbar:

Why does this f00l delight in spreading his pessimistic venom everywhere on the site? We have heard you Mr.Vasectomy Mr. I am not having children in Nigeria yen yen yen. Abeg rest

You are a very big fool and an idiot.

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

You are a very big fool and an idiot.

grin you are the bigger fool and idiot. Abeg make we hear word for this site. No day carry your stupid pessimistic mentality enter every tread
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 16, 2022
Klass99:

What's your take on the topic/matter?

My take is the same is yours...but my main take is that children shouldn't be disturbed about continuing the bloodline or raising families if they don want to...African parents are fond of that especially mothers just so that they can call theirselves grandparents and be proud...especially with the way things have changed in the world...people shouldn't be forced to bring children into the world if they're not comfortable with it

3 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 16, 2022
Grillbar:

Why is it paining you?...are you the one going to raise his kids if he births them in this country? How exactly does it affect you?...just say you dont have the money to raise your own kids abroad and dont allow jealousy to kill you there...ode

1 Like

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:03pm On Aug 16, 2022
Klass99:

First of all, this is an interesting topic/question.
Secondly, I strongly disagree with your take, I am on the opposite side of your thoughts.

Granted, having children is a personal choice and while most of us didn't consent to being born or being here, I personally enjoy life and love the things I have experienced as a child and as an adult. All my life experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly have contributed to the woman I am today and a nice life. Not perfect but nice.

I am grateful to God for the gift of this earthly life and grateful for parents who taught me how to swim (I love swimming) who provided formal and informal quality education, provided food, shelter, clothing amongst other things and gave me the tools/chance to succeed at life.

The way I see it my parents took good care of me as a child and now that they are old, retired and worn out, it is my pleasure to reciprocate that same care, to do good, do right and do well by them, as much as possible before any of us passes on.

Me, I like that I was born whether or not I had a say in the matter. The littlest things in life light up my heart and soul so much, like petting my neighbour's dog, dark clouds and rainy weather, the beauty of nature itself (sunlight, trees, green grass, the blue sky with clouds etc) The electronic giant LG didn't lie when they said life is good.

Damn you are quite grateful o. Damn. Your parents must be so glad to have you. If the choice to live was mine to make I for kuku dey heaven dey enjoy myself. Life is too hard and ultra competitive to get what you want. It's crazy.

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2022
Rayban25:

Why is it paining you?...are you the one going to raise his kids if he births them in this country? How exactly does it affect you?...just say you dont have the money to raise your own kids abroad and dont allow jealousy to kill you there...ode

It is not paining me. Make day f00l know when to shut up. No be every time person one hear him nonsense mumu talk.

The guy no day abroad he is on Lagos mainland deluding himself with hopes of japa. Ask him why he was deported from Italy.
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2022
Polynek:
Children are sopox to take of there parents.
It is a natural phenomenal
There is nothing "natural" about it. Go see what becomes of the aged in the animal kingdom to know why nature ought not to be dragged into this at all. undecided
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Kobojunkie: 2:30pm On Aug 16, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Damn you are quite grateful o. Damn. Your parents must be so glad to have you. If the choice to live was mine to make I for kuku dey heaven dey enjoy myself. Life is too hard and ultra competitive to get what you want. It's crazy.
Dey which heaven? Haven't you heard? You didn't exists until the moment you were conceived. Recall, from dust you were made ... undecided
Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:33pm On Aug 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Dey which heaven? Haven't you heard? You didn't exists until the moment you were conceived. Recall, from dust you were made ... undecided

I rather just be dust. It's not easy as an adult working to make a living and continuously studying to be optimal at work or get much better opportunities. It's grueling doing that at least 12 hours everyday with no rest in between even on weekends. If I had that choice, I rather be dust grin

2 Likes

Re: Do Children Owe Their Parents Repatriation? by Polynek(m): 2:35pm On Aug 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
There is nothing "natural" about it. Go see what becomes of the aged in the animal kingdom to know why nature ought not to be dragged into this at all. undecided
What is the need of coming online to argue what you can't do in reality?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Funny Experience Trying To Double My Money / I Will Divorce My Husband If He Tells Me To Do DNA Test. / Can Married Women Do Withou Househelps?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.