Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? (9502 Views)

Customer/technical Support Professionals lets meet here / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Maximip(m): 11:06pm On Aug 05, 2011
lacewiggal:

im a pharmacist practicing in the states desperatey thinking of returning home soon to serve my fatherland. but i was looking at salaries  and they range from 60,000- 120,000 naira per month!!!!!! isn't that a form of modern day slavery? everyone knows d suffering that pharm students pass thru in school so why the low pay? less than 1000 dollars per month kwa? tufia!!!!! lol  pharmacists in the rest of the world mostly make 10- 12 times that amount per month, should we continue to perpetuate dis slavery or stand up for our rights!?

Anything can happen in Nigeria, that's something you should think about. Levels quickly change here. How many people in Nigeria get rich from salary.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by tunnytox(m): 11:32pm On Aug 05, 2011
@OP

How can you ever think of coming to Nigeria to look for work as a Pharmacist when you can easily start your own pharmaceutical business in Nigeria. I wonder don't they taught you people about business mgt at all?, I ran a pharmacy business for 7 years before I left Nigeria and I can say confidently that its one hell of a goldmine. I'm not a pharmacists but as soon as I'm ready to come back to Nigeria I'll be going straight back into pharmaceutical biz, you better shine your eyes well.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by folahann(m): 12:23am On Aug 06, 2011
So when you finish school and want start a business, you do it by going to rob a bank to get money to start.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hispy99(m): 1:05am On Aug 06, 2011
lacewiggal:

im a pharmacist practicing in the states desperatey thinking of returning home soon to serve my fatherland. but i was looking at salaries  and they range from 60,000- 120,000 naira per month!!!!!! isn't that a form of modern day slavery? everyone knows d suffering that pharm students pass thru in school so why the low pay? less than 1000 dollars per month kwa? tufia!!!!! lol  pharmacists in the rest of the world mostly make 10- 12 times that amount per month, should we continue to perpetuate dis slavery or stand up for our rights!?

Really? Ghana? Tanzania? Somalia? Benin? What is the value of drugs sold in the U.S vs Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by naijacann: 3:35am On Aug 06, 2011
@Nije4life
Just for you to know, when you're highly enthusiastic to serve ya people-fellow africans/ngrs, you can positively consider just a decent remuneration.
$6k is quite decent especially considering the fact that the school provided an accommodation and a car for him.
Moreover, by the time you remove the taxes he pays on his $9k/mth, he's earning almost what he earns here.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by tunnytox(m): 7:29am On Aug 06, 2011
folahann:

So when you finish school and want start a business, you do it by going to rob a bank to get money to start.

What are you talking about? this dude is already working why can't he save to come home and establish his own business? concerning me you don't know me and you may not assume how I started my own business, I gave the advice based on the info the OP provided.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by liquid7: 10:29am On Aug 06, 2011
dunno about 10-12 times though.in uk pharmacist get about 35-50k £.
if you break that per month its about 3000 - 4000 £.Put in the tax and its about 2400 -3000£.
so £2400 is about 600,000 naira .So its about 4-6 times more then 120,000.
but when you add in higher living expenses .Here you pay council tax,road tax,very high insurance,high rent/mortgage you are practically just working to live.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by damola1: 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2011
How much do you pay for gas in the UK/USA, how much do we pay here in Lagos?
How much do we pay for rent compared to those places?
How much do we pay for taxes, insurance etc?

these are some of the metrics used to state whether or not what you earn is worth it,
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2011
damola1:

How much do you pay for gas in the UK/USA, how much do we pay here in Lagos?
How much do we pay for rent compared to those places?
How much do we pay for taxes, insurance etc?

these are some of the metrics used to state whether or not what you earn is worth it,

it is more than you have described.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2011
liquid7:

dunno about 10-12 times though.in uk pharmacist get about 35-50k £.
if you break that per month its about 3000 - 4000 £.Put in the tax and its about 2400 -3000£.
so £2400 is about 600,000 naira .So its about 4-6 times more then 120,000.
but when you add in higher living expenses .Here you pay council tax,road tax,very high insurance,high rent/mortgage you are practically just working to live.

Thank you!

More reasonable talk.

I don't know how someone can say such rubbish a pharmacist in even the most developed countries make on average $120 to $144k per year.

Even though N120k per month might be low, that is the reflection of the economy. Calculate GDP per capita of USA and Nigeria and realise how it far it is from 4-6 times.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by fitinwell: 7:19pm On Aug 06, 2011
Well, think of our minimum wages #18,000 at least man pikin must chop, has a web developer, must company in nigeria wants d best but plan to cheat you at the end of the bargain, opa ri
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 7:40pm On Aug 06, 2011
fitinwell:

Well, think of our minimum wages #18,000 at least man pikin must chop, has a web developer, must company in nigeria wants d best but plan to cheat you at the end of the bargain, opa ri

"The best" cannot even structure a sentence right?

"The best" cannot even pluralise?

And "the best" think he is worth the same pay as those in the UK that can?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 1:59am On Aug 07, 2011
Thanks for your responses, some of them very intelligent and realistic, thumbs up.

some are just plain ignorant, ---don't be in denial, people, the first step in finding a solution is acknowledging the problem.

As for those that feel like attacking me for my opinion, all i can do is laugh because at the end of the day, it's the truth.
e.g the ones that say it's 4-6x and not 10x etc, sweethearts, the point is that's still a large disparity in wages.

For those that are talking about standard of living etc. influencing the ridiculously low wage that rxists earn in nig; --- pls tell that to someone who is a stranger to naija. I, for one, am not. I know what 120,000 naira can do for you in nig and by no means does it come close to what my monthly salary does for me here in the US

@hispy99, bravo, well said, like a true GEJ follower, you are benchmarking yourself with less developed countries, when you can benchmark yourself with developed ones, try saudi, US, uK, aUSTRALIA etc,

@folahann, in fact, you are directly after my heart, well said.

@tunnytox, u seem like u mean well, but u spoil ur kind advice with arrogance, start a business, great for profits, but how about fulfillment, how about if I want to practice in a hospital setting etc. Also, before you condemn the level of education I have, maybe you can think about this for a minute. "Any credible professional that wants to venture out into business would want some experience in the field, only if u are just after money, i wont be surprised if u don't get my point though, cos many of us are after money alone.

for the guy saying nigerians are generally not productive so they should be paid less etc,
--- The US healthcare industry is pretty much run by Nigerians (IMHO) and we're typically quite productive, so should we be punished for wanting to return home and serve in our countries just because we are presumed as "Unproductive Nigerians"?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hispy99(m): 2:26am On Aug 07, 2011
lacewiggal:

Thanks for your responses, some of them very intelligent and realistic, thumbs up.

some are just plain ignorant, ---don't be in denial, people, the first step in finding a solution is acknowledging the problem.

As for those that feel like attacking me for my opinion, all i can do is laugh because at the end of the day, it's the truth.
e.g the ones that say it's 4-6x and not 10x etc,  sweethearts, the point is that's still a large disparity in wages.

For those that are talking about standard of living etc. influencing the ridiculously low wage that rxists earn in nig; --- pls tell that to someone who is a stranger to naija. I, for one, am not. I know what 120,000 naira can do for you in nig and by no means does it come close to what my monthly salary does for me here in the US

@hispy99, bravo, well said, like a true GEJ follower, you are benchmarking yourself with less developed countries, when you can benchmark yourself with developed ones, try saudi, US, uK, aUSTRALIA etc,

@folahann, in fact, you are directly after my heart, well said.

@tunnytox,  u seem like u mean well, but u spoil your kind advice with arrogance,  start a business, great for profits, but how about fulfillment, how about if I want to practice in a hospital setting etc. Also, before you condemn the level of education I have, maybe you can think about this for a minute. "Any credible professional that wants to venture out into business would want some experience in the field, only if u are just after money, i wont be surprised if u don't get my point though, cos many of us are after money alone.

for the guy saying nigerians are generally not productive so they should be paid less etc, 
--- The US healthcare industry is pretty much run by Nigerians (IMHO) and we're typically quite productive, so should we be punished for wanting to return home and serve in our countries just because we are presumed as "Unproductive Nigerians"?

The GDP of U.S is $14T, Nigeria is $216B; Nigeria's GDP per capita is 3% of the U.S. Good luck in trying to earn the same salary as they do in the U.S
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 2:44am On Aug 07, 2011
hispy99:

The GDP of U.S is $14T, Nigeria is $216B; Nigeria's GDP per capita is 3% of the U.S. Good luck in trying to earn the same salary as they do in the U.S

I fcking wonder.

Even countries 15 times more advanced than Nigeria like South Korea can not even dream of it.

GDP (PPP) per capita:

USA: $47,284
South Korea: $29,836
South Africa: $10,498
Albania: $7,453
Mongolia: $4,006
Nigeria: $2,422

Worse still, there professionals are better skilled and trained on average than Nigeria's because of a failed education system.

You will see pharmacist that can not string a sentence in English correctly.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by antitpiah: 3:56am On Aug 07, 2011
The OP is very stupiddddddd.

How much do you want them to pay you?

How much did you pay for your degreee?

As far as I am concerned, 60000 naira per month is enough, too much self for the education you got.

yeye people, you for ask for a million per month Ole oshi
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by nicholars: 7:33am On Aug 07, 2011
u guy should stop all this non sense talk, the proble with Nigeian graduate is that they are lazy and greedy, u cant start up a biz of your own, but you want someone to pay u million
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by tunnytox(m): 10:00am On Aug 07, 2011
@OP

Honestly your post makes me to think you're some type of Nigerians who have left home for too long and has completely lost touch with Nigeria. Of course I understand that as a professional you'll like some experience and fufilment of working in an enviroment that suit your interest but that still does not stop you from starting your business on the side to make money because without that you can't survive in Nigeria.

While I was running my pharmaceutical business I met and mingle with a lot of health professionals like pharmacists, Doctors, Nurses, Dentists and even sales representatives of many pharmaceutical companies, a good number of these people are enjoying their jobs because it is their area of interest but have another business (Private Practice) on the side to sustain them financially. In your own case you're already practicing in the USA, you want to relocate to Nigeria and your main concern is wages (Money) I am trying to advice you on how to survive in Nigeria and you believe I'm arrogant? I'm sorry if I offend you with myadvise but my past experience with some health professionals made me to ask if you people are not taught biz mgt at all however, I'm only being sarcastic, because while I have seen some newly graduated Doctors working for 15,000 naira a month and feel they are gaining experience I have also seen other newly graduated ones who even from their NYSC has started their PP in their own room and grows enough to own a hospital for themselves. The choice is yours as for me I don talk my own
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 2:55pm On Aug 07, 2011
@OP

How much do you get paid per month where you work - after taking tax and all national contributions? Do not give this people on NairaLand the impression that everything is rosy where you are. We know its not too good, but I am sure there are professionals earning peanuts abroad as well, or who even find it getting a job in these days of recession.

And like most people said, must you always look up to get paid? Why not start your own business and pay people as well? And if I ask you - how much will you pay people in your field if they work for you?

Dont forget that people who employ these professionals are also professionals who struggle on their own and out of nothing to get bye and make effort to pay those who work for them, really out of nothing.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2011
@ werepele

Taxes aint that bad yo. so for instance, my hourly wage is $50/hr after tax it'll be sumn like $45/hr x 40 x4 x12 = $86400--- still not bad to afford you many of the good things of life.

I see all your criticisms and comparisons. the purpose of my post is not to compare both ---if not i would have titled it "why are professionals paid less in nig than abroad"

my point is not too use the GEJ defense aka the "they are doing it too" defense. we shouldnt be bothered what other countries are paying thier professionals only if it is a source of positive influence to pay and treat our professionals right.
im saying this to say that those professionals that may be earning "peanuts" abroad are not the ones we should be trying to emulate if we want to move forward and be a financially empowered population.

about starting a business, i addressed that in my previous post. if i was to start mine, (which i intend to, after i gain enough experience to be able to call myself a credible professional) i'd pay people what they deserve and not slave wages.

Cheers.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 4:33pm On Aug 07, 2011
^^^
Honestly in my opinion, $50/hr is nothing compared to other professionals I know abroad who earn triple that figure you quoted per hour.

I used to work in the UK as a professional and my pay per hour was double that per hour, as an IT professional, so you see, I will say you are underpaid when I compare your pay to others.

You will pay people what they deserve? and an example of what they deserve in Naira will be how much per month? LOL. 500k per month or 30k per month?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by denzel2009: 4:47pm On Aug 07, 2011
lacewiggal:

@ werepele

Taxes aint that bad yo. so for instance, my hourly wage is $50/hr after tax it'll be sumn like $45/hr x 40 x4 x12 = $86400--- still not bad to afford you many of the good things of life.

I see all your criticisms and comparisons. the purpose of my post is not to compare both ---if not i would have titled it "why are professionals paid less in nig than abroad"

my point is not too use the GEJ defense aka the "they are doing it too" defense. we shouldnt be bothered what other countries are paying thier professionals only if it is a source of positive influence to pay and treat our professionals right.
im saying this to say that those professionals that may be earning "peanuts" abroad are not the ones we should be trying to emulate if we want to move forward and be a financially empowered population.

about starting a business, i addressed that in my previous post. if i was to start mine, (which i intend to, after i gain enough experience to be able to call myself a credible professional) i'd pay people what they deserve and not slave wages.

Cheers.
is that how they calculate it? $50/hr x 40hrs x 52weeks

and i dont think the US just scrape $5 out as tax/hr, there are bands.

stop deceiving yourself, you don't earn that much.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 5:01pm On Aug 07, 2011
lacewiggal:

@ werepele

Taxes aint that bad yo. so for instance, my hourly wage is $50/hr  after tax it'll be sumn like $45/hr x 40 x4 x12 = $86400--- still not bad to afford you many of the good things of life.

Cheers.

You can't talk about paying peanuts without a point (country) of reference.

If the salary of a pharmacist in the USA is $87K (I bet your take home is far less) and in Nigeria is $8K, how is that multiple of 9 poor considering the GDP per capita multiple difference is about 20? There is less money in Nigeria (i.e. GDP) and they are earning more than their share by comparison.

Worse still, the USA has a robust health structure and with active drugs market, Nigeria has hardly much health structure and majority of people would rather go to the herbalist, where do you want them to get the money to pay pharmacists even $50K when less people are buying drugs or can afford to pay the same price rates as in the US?

The pay might not be great, but considering the so-called, self-appointed, stupidly-called "Giant of Africa" is one huge shyt-hole because of bad leaders, the pay is not peanuts.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by ijobers: 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2011
Due to large numbers of different types of web contents, there are many exciting opportunities that people are using to achieve their lifetime ambition. The web has become a canvas where anyone that can put words together can paint his own picture in a way that is unique. It has become so easy for anyone to engage in freelance writing, http://ijobers.com/Blog/2011/08/living-from-the-web/
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by muyoto: 6:40pm On Aug 07, 2011
denzel2009:

is that how they calculate it? $50/hr x 40hrs x 52weeks

and i dont think the US just scrape $5 out as tax/hr, there are bands.

stop deceiving yourself, you don't earn that much.

I think you are the one deceiving yourself. the pay ranges from 35/hr to up 70/hr depending on where one is working, the level of experience, etc. Generally, retail outlets tend to pay higher than hospitals.

at Walgreen's, for instance, a locum pharmacist earns about 66/hr. You can confirm for yourself.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by werepeLeri: 7:02pm On Aug 07, 2011
muyoto:

I think you are the one deceiving yourself. the pay ranges from 35/hr to up 70/hr depending on where one is working, the level of experience, etc. Generally, retail outlets tend to pay higher than hospitals.

at Walgreen's, for instance, a locum pharmacist earns about 66/hr. You can confirm for yourself.

Looks like you dont even have idea of what the guy is talking about - he is talking about the tax off the pay he claims to make per hour. LOL
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by denzel2009: 7:04pm On Aug 07, 2011
werepeLeri:

Looks like you dont even have idea of what the guy is talking about - he is talking about the tax off the pay he claims to make per hour. LOL
I couldnt even bother to start explaining cheesy
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 7:09pm On Aug 07, 2011
muyoto:

Do you even understand what a locum means?

That means the person is temporary, hence at a risk of having periods of no work and the pay includes all the benefits.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hispy99(m): 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2011
lacewiggal:

@ werepele

Taxes aint that bad yo. so for instance, my hourly wage is $50/hr  after tax it'll be sumn like $45/hr x 40 x4 x12 = $86400--- still not bad to afford you many of the good things of life.

Cheers.

I agree that we should aspire to earn better wages. However, given Nigeria's current situation, there's no way someone in Nigeria should expect on average to earn what his counterpart in the U.S earns. We are still a long way off before that will happen.

How come your tax is only 5%? What happened to social security tax (6.2%, but currently reduced to 4.2%), medicare tax of 1.45%, fed income tax of
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by YoruIgbo(m): 1:05am On Aug 08, 2011
OP, why are you judging this salary thing from one angle? Yes the professionals earn far lesser in Nigeria but they save lot more from that small money than you and your huge take home abroad!! I live and work in the UK and my brother forget all those plenty money, at the end of the month most people in western world live on loan, credit card and overdraft.
The problem with Nigeria is not to do with salary, it's just for Government to create jobs and empower the youth, provide the basic things like good road, electricity and kick out corruption shikena!
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2011
The poster is clearly not a professional. If he/she is then basic economics will have answered the question. To sit in front of a keyboard and compare salaries between countries a gulf apart in GDP is just mischievous. Same reason why labour just run their mouths recklessly in matters about the minimum wage. Salaries directly relate to productivity and the purchasing power of the average consumer. A pharmacist offers services doesn't he. To who and a what price. Will he earn hundreds of naira and pay himself millions. How does he square that circle. Are we willing to pay the same rates for drugs and consultancy services as Americans would. No we can't so how do we pay the same salaries.

Others compare their salaries across sectors. Obama wondering why he can't earn the same as Tiger Woods or David Cameron angry that Wayne Rooney makes in a week what he would in a year. Must policemen collect bribes because they see SUV's pass them by everyday at checkpoints. Why not quit. Must labour keep on comparing their salaries with those of Senators and Governors. Are they in such positions.

Every professional and businessman has his constituency. If his constituency is wealthy, he will, if his constituency is poor he will not do so well. Most rich patrons of Medicare travel abroad. Most who patronise health services here are average Joe's or broke bats. When the economy improves wages round about will rise. Every other artificial inducement is only temporal.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 10:57pm On Aug 08, 2011
I wont mention any names in this post but I'll offer some clarification. I'm a new grad with less than a year of experience so my knowledge of such economics may be basic to say the least, however, the disparities are as apparent as black and white.

my guy, $150/hr for an IT professional, wake up from your slumber ehn? grin i'm trying not to die laughing, but oh well, you probably were a freelancer or consultant, not a full time permanent IT entry level professional.

The demeanor at which some responses are written can only come from the frustration of being underpaid and cheated out of rights, somehow you find solace in making excuses for the situation.

lastly, The intent of my original post was to ask the "question", "Why are professionals underpaid in nigeria?", Thanks to those who offered reasonable and direct "answers" to help me better understand the situation.

As for those that cannot answer simple question, pls return to primary school and gain basic "english comprehension"
skills. while you are at it? pls clarify that 5% off $50 is not equal to $45/hr, anyways I gave a rough estimate of my earnings, use ur imaginations guys, why so literal?

Adios!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Customs Redeploys Senior Officers / What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! / Rank Of An Officer Level 14 NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.