Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,979 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? (9503 Views)

Customer/technical Support Professionals lets meet here / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 11:00pm On Aug 08, 2011
lastly please please and please, Google is your friend, use it! there's no excuse for such ignorant comments in the 21st century.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hispy99(m): 12:17am On Aug 09, 2011
lacewiggal:

I wont mention any names in this post but I'll offer some clarification. I'm a new grad with less than a year of experience so my knowledge of such economics may be basic to say the least, however, the disparities are as apparent as black and white.

my guy, $150/hr for an IT professional, wake up from your slumber ehn?  grin i'm trying not to die laughing, but oh well, you probably were a freelancer or consultant, not a full time permanent IT entry level professional.

The demeanor at which some responses are written can only come from the frustration of being underpaid and cheated out of rights, somehow you find solace in making excuses for the situation.

lastly, The intent of my original post was to ask the "question", "Why are professionals underpaid in nigeria?", Thanks to those who offered reasonable and direct "answers" to help me better understand the situation.

As for those that cannot answer simple question, pls return to primary school and gain basic "english comprehension"
skills. while you are at it? pls clarify that 5% off $50 is not equal to $45/hr, anyways I gave a rough estimate of my earnings, use your imaginations guys, why so literal? 

Adios!!!

still don't see how you pay 10%, given the "rough" estimate of the income you provided.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by iemploy: 1:08pm On Aug 09, 2011
I totally agree that Nigerian Professionals are grossly underpaid however, that is not a basis for us to discourage our brother from coming to back Nigeria. I'm sure that you can always start something that can make a difference. I know its tough and all, but we mustn't give up hope, i still believe so much in the system and honestly, the opportunities in Nigeria are far more than you can get in the west in terms of empowerment opportunities. Government and the looters in Government do not care whether you are paid well or not and this has gone on for far too long that its time to do something about it. You can complain all you can, it will never get to them because they don't care. So a much more proactive approach will have to be adopted that involves every one of us to decide our own 'fates' as it relates to jobs.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 1:28pm On Aug 09, 2011
hispy99:

still don't see how you pay 10%, given the "rough" estimate of the income you provided.

Honestly, lacewiggal, you need to address this question, otherwise I will just see you as one of those with psychological problems that come on the net and claim some fictitious achievement/earnings to boast their self-esteem.

An example was one reetard calling himself "Moves" on NL that was bragging he was making over £90K doing SAP 2 years after leaving uni. I had to embarrass him.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 2:01pm On Aug 09, 2011
Sagamite:

Honestly, lacewiggal, you need to address this question, otherwise[b] I will just see you as one of those with psychological problems[/b] that come on the net and claim some fictitious achievement/earnings to boast their self-esteem.

and this is supposed to scare me? who cares wat u see and don't see? lmao! if u don't understand the concept of rough estimate, u can get intimate with a transformer for all i care.

instead of focusing on the issue at hand you are dwelling on insignificance. whether income tax in the US is 5, 10 or even 20%, that dosent take away from the fact that professionals in nigeria are underpaid.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2011
lacewiggal:

and this is supposed to scare me? who cares wat u see and don't see? lmao! if u don't understand the concept of rough estimate, u can get intimate with a transformer for all i care.

instead of focusing on the issue at hand you are dwelling on insignificance. whether income tax in the US is 5, 10 or even 20%, that dosent take away from the fact that professionals in nigeria are underpaid.

Cut the crap!

How did a rough estimate of a so-called PROFESSIONAL pharmacists roughly estimate a 25+% tax rate into 10%? What "concept" of rough estimation is that?

Someone that is a professional does not know what his tax rate is? After we have found out he has no analytical brain to understand economic disparities?

Professional my arse! Are you sure you no be fake drug seller? If your analytical and maths skills is this bad, I pity the person that allows you to prescribe to them.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by naijacann: 8:25pm On Aug 09, 2011
All of u guys that are saying that its unfair to compare salaries of naija and the sates or britain, ok, , how come our Law makers earn fatter salaries than American law makers? Why is it that a member of house of representatives in ngr earns higher than Obama? Can someone explain this for me.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hispy99(m): 8:30pm On Aug 09, 2011
naijacann:

All of u guys that are saying that  its unfair to compare salaries of naija and the sates or britain, ok, , how come our Law makers earn fatter salaries than American law makers? Why is it that a member of house of representatives in ngr earns higher than Obama? Can someone explain this for me.

Simple, your lawmakers are thieves. If the pharmacist can steal from his company, he might make more than the pharmacist in the U.S/UK too.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by tunnytox(m): 8:34pm On Aug 09, 2011
hispy99:

Simple, your lawmakers are thieves. If the pharmacist can steal from his company, he might make more than the pharmacist in the U.S/UK too.

loool grin grin grin true talk
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 8:45pm On Aug 09, 2011
naijacann:

All of u guys that are saying that its unfair to compare salaries of naija and the sates or britain, ok, , how come our Law makers earn fatter salaries than American law makers? Why is it that a member of house of representatives in ngr earns higher than Obama? Can someone explain this for me.

Explain what to you?

What do you think?

So we should use the stealing of legislators to justify total systemic pay scales that is unsustainable?

Explain what the fck to you?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hispy99(m): 1:21am On Aug 10, 2011
Pfizer (US - Dec 2010) May & Baker (Nigeria - Dec 2010)

Sales (N) $50B * 160 = N8Trillion N4.6 Billion

PAT (N) $8.6B * 160 = N1.37Trillion N232 Million.

Number of employees 110,600 342

Profit per employee = N12.44 Million N0.67 Million

Yet, we expect the average May & Baker worker to earn the same as the Pfizer worker.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by naijacann: 1:26am On Aug 10, 2011
[b]@sagamite
Fairness should be applied to all sectors.
You cannot in good conscience justfiy the 1.5b naira our senate president takes yearly and then tell me that it was too high for a pharmacist to earn good pay. Meanwhile Obama earns an equivalent of only 55million naira before tax annually. When u remove more than 30% tax from that amt, then u know how much his take home pay is annually.
By the way, have u even considered the cost of living in a place like Abuja? Abuja is pretty much more expensive than so many cities in USA(like houston, florida, dallas, durham, raleigh, etc) and Canada(like manitoba, halifax, edmonton, orangeville, etc), Check out the facts. Give me a break on the GDP nonsense. What is the GDP of South Africa? If our resources are well managed, S/A wouldn't be a match to ngr; but they in SA pays way higher than we do in ngr. Could u imagine that naija doctors go to SA to train with the latest equipment. What an outrage! Meanwhile Delta state gov is writing a check of 3b naira to OBJ; Bode George was jailed for stealing 100b naira. I believe that the reason for the underpayment is a misplacement of priorities in nigeria and corruption.  Nigeria has enough resources to pay her deserving professional well and not the peanut 18000 naira death wage[/b]
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 2:49am On Aug 10, 2011
naijacann:

@sagamite
You cannot in good conscience justfiy the 1.5b naira our senate president takes yearly and then tell me that it was too high for a pharmacist to earn good pay. Meanwhile Obama earns an equivalent of only 55million naira before tax annually. When u remove more than 30% tax from that amt, then u know how much his take home pay is annually.

Amsorry!

Point to who here or even in Nigeria (that is not a legislator) has justified legislator pay.

Hurry up!

Quickly.

Then explain why you asked us to explain to you why they earn such money.

naijacann:

By the way, have u even considered the cost of living in a place like Abuja? Abuja is pretty much more expensive than so many cities in USA(like houston, florida, dallas, durham, raleigh, etc) and Canada(like manitoba, halifax, edmonton, orangeville, etc), Check out the facts. Give me a break on the GDP nonsense. What is the GDP of South Africa? If our resources are well managed, S/A wouldn't be a match to ngr; but they in SA pays way higher than we do in ngr. Could u imagine that naija doctors go to SA to train with the latest equipment. What an outrage! Meanwhile Delta state gov is writing a check of 3b naira to OBJ; Bode George was jailed for stealing 100b naira. I believe that the reason for the underpayment is a misplacement of priorities in nigeria and corruption.  Nigeria has enough resources to pay her deserving professional well and not the peanut 18000 naira death wage

What stewpid thrash are you chatting here?

Do life run by "ifs" or by "is"?

Is SA's GDP bigger or not? Who gives a toss of "if"?

So what thrash are you talking about paying what they pay in SA when you do not have the economy of SA?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 10:55pm On Aug 10, 2011
naijacann:

[b]@sagamite
By the way, have u even considered the cost of living in a place like Abuja? Abuja is pretty much more expensive than so many cities in USA(like houston, florida, dallas, durham, raleigh, etc) and Canada(like manitoba, halifax, edmonton, orangeville, etc), Check out the facts. Give me a break on the GDP nonsense. What is the GDP of South Africa? If our resources are well managed, S/A wouldn't be a match to ngr; but they in SA pays way higher than we do in ngr. Could u imagine that naija doctors go to SA to train with the latest equipment. What an outrage! Meanwhile Delta state gov is writing a check of 3b naira to OBJ; Bode George was jailed for stealing 100b naira. I believe that the reason for the underpayment is a misplacement of priorities in nigeria and corruption.  Nigeria has enough resources to pay her deserving professional well and not the peanut 18000 naira death wage[/b]

in fact you hit the nail on the head here, don't mind Mr. saga mite

Sagamite:

Cut the crap!

How did a rough estimate of a so-called PROFESSIONAL pharmacists roughly estimate a 25+% tax rate into 10%? What "concept" of rough estimation is that?

Someone that is a professional does not know what his tax rate is? After we have found out he has no analytical brain to understand economic disparities?

Professional my arse! Are you sure you no be fake drug seller? If your analytical and maths skills is this bad, I pity the person that allows you to prescribe to them.

What you said would have bothered me if I didn't have my degree hanging on the wall in front of me lol
You can rain me with insults from now till next year, that dosent take away from the truth than Professionals are underpaid in Nigeria.

Advice: u can run for president right after GEJ, U seem to think like him, U'll fit rite into his shoes, and then u can perpetuate a Nigeria of "Look at Somalia, they are suffering there too now" then our country's slogan will be , "Nigeria - "better than the worst"

U ought be ashamed of yourself wink
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 11:27pm On Aug 10, 2011
lacewiggal:

in fact you hit the nail on the head here, don't mind Mr. saga mite

What you said would have bothered me if I didn't have my degree hanging on the wall in front of me lol
You can rain me with insults from now till next year, that dosent take away from the truth than Professionals are underpaid in Nigeria.

Advice: u can run for president right after GEJ, U seem to think like him, U'll fit rite into his shoes, and then u can perpetuate a Nigeria of "Look at Somalia, they are suffering there too now" then our country's slogan will be , "Nigeria - "better than the worst"

U ought be ashamed of yourself wink

The more you speak, the more it is virtually impossible you could have passed any undergrad exam except in Alaba market.

If stating the rational, logical economic fact is what you term as "they are suffering in Somalia as well", they need to blow your brains out. Worthless tool!
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by naijacann: 2:41am On Aug 11, 2011
@Sagamite

You really represent what is wrong with nigeria.
Can u imagine! I had thought that I was arguing and debating with a human being with sense, little did I know U never had anything to say other than to keep disgracing yourself on nairaland saying absolutely nothing. All u do is insult people who came here to make genuine and legitimate intellectual argument.
In fact, you're the MOST USELESS HUMAN BEING I'VE EVER ARGUED WITH!!!! U're such a joke!!! Such a loser!!! Can u imagine!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 5:20am On Aug 11, 2011
naijacann:

@Sagamite

You really represent what is wrong with nigeria.
Can u imagine! I had thought that I was arguing and debating with a human being with sense, little did I know U never had anything to say other than to keep disgracing yourself on nairaland saying absolutely nothing. All u do is insult people who came here to make genuine and legitimate intellectual argument.
In fact, you're the MOST USELESS HUMAN BEING I'VE EVER ARGUED WITH!!!! U're such a joke!!! Such a loser!!! Can u imagine!!

I am what represents what is wrong with Nigeria?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are a foool!

People are making points of reality on the ground, you carry your daft, under-educated arse to ask them to defend an argument they did not make and you think they are the problem. Stewpid strawman arguments by an educated illiterate, topped- up with loads of mooronic arguments of how a country that makes less with higher population should pay more than a country that makes more with a lower population.

Because of your low IQ, let me explain the stewpidity of your argument in a unit scale that will not bamboozle your wizzly brain: Your argument is like saying a company of 150 that makes N20m a year should pay its staff more than a company of 50 that makes £30m a year because "if" the bigger company runs more efficiently it can make more money and that their Accounting managers rent is being raised by his landlord. They should pay based on "ifs"?

Can you see how stewpid you are now?

You have the IQ of a Silverback Gorilla which is not helped by a failed education system we have in Nigeria. That is the current problem of Nigeria. Hordes of foooooools like you. You should be praying for my intervention because, considering my intellect, I am your Messiah!

We should explain to you why Senators make money like if we backed it or proposed it? grin grin grin

You have the brain cells of a toad!
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by naijacann: 11:21am On Aug 11, 2011
@ Lacewiggal

Sagamite has proven himself to be the MOST USELESS FELLOW ON NAIRALAND and so my advise is not even dignify him with a response.
He has absolutely nothing to say other than to ABUSE HIS ASS on nairaland. I pity the school that gave him admission to study in london(that is if he at all has even a JUNIOR WAEC RESULT that he wrote by himself)

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 11:39am On Aug 11, 2011
naijacann:

@ Lacewiggal

Sagamite has proven himself to be the MOST USELESS FELLOW ON NAIRALAND and so my advise is not even dignify him with a response.
He has absolutely nothing to say other than to ABUSE HIS Bottom on nairaland. I pity the school that gave him admission to study in london(that is if he at all has even a JUNIOR WAEC RESULT that he wrote by himself)

Product of the failed Nigerian education system. grin grin grin grin grin

As employers said: Most cannot think, read or write well.

Just conjecture throwing. Why don't you point to the statements that makes me the "MOST USELESS FELLOW ON NAIRALAND" and critique the statements showing critical thinking. grin grin grin

Saying a company of 150 people that makes N20m a year should pay its staff the same as a company with 300 people that makes N1.5Bn in the same period shows how Nigerian school has failed you, making you unemployable.

Critical Thinking - Zero!

Conjecture throwing - 100%!

Moronic statements - Scholar! grin
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Donmic1(m): 4:01pm On Aug 11, 2011
i dont no y nigeria cant improve in life
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by godspeed2: 6:18am On Aug 12, 2011
The truth is Nigeria is not a merit Oriented society, the people that earn the most are not necessary the ones that deserve the most;

Who earns the most?

Politicians/Legislators: From this thisday article http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/what-nigerians-pay-fg/94277/ you will find that on the average
The about 1000 people we have in the Senate, house of rep etc earn about 390mill naira a year. They are the highest paid politicians in the world. This is about 3.5mill dollars a year, 7 times what President Barack Obama of the USA, who has highly depreciated and aged from his hard work earns. From that article also you will see that these politicians are not earning their wages, making about only 11 legislation a year. Even if they make a thousand legislation a year, they still have not earned 10% of that amount. It is only in Nigeria that a politician earns more than an experienced Doctor who caters for human life and well groomed engineers that shape our economy, ONLY IN NIGERIA.

Friends of Politicians: Google this; Theophilus Danjuma. He recently donated 100mill dollars to his Charity foundation. How did he make his money? He was given and oil block of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a GIFT, that's right a gift, by the late Sanni Abacha. He sold this gift for mouth watering 500mill dollars to one of the oil companies. Now tell me what did he do to earn this money?? This is just one person I'm sure there are 100s of them.

Other friends of politicians also get contracts at exaggerated prices.

The ones who work to get legit contracts often have to bribe politicians, a friend of mine in Abuja got a 14mill naira contract but had to pay off a politician 7mill naira for helping him get the job. You tell me what will he have left to pay his staff. This is further compounded because most jobs are directly or indirectly government jobs because, let's face it, they control the oil money.

I can contimue to sight several examples of how "Money dey miss road" in this country, but often times if I start talking about Nigeria I can go on for days , but it has changed nothing.

Rather let me shed a little light on why Nigeria will make absolutely no progress if things continue like this;

An economy only makes progress when value is added to it. Many people have the wrong notion that money adds value, no on the bigger picture is money is even more important because it controls/facilitates the adding of value. I'll explain.

Take Mr. A and Mr. B in the Lagos economy as an example. A is a Mechanic and B is a manager in a road construction company. B is heading to work on a monday morning to approve the repair of a damaged road. O
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by godspeed2: 6:52am On Aug 12, 2011
The truth is Nigeria is not a merit Oriented society, the people that earn the most are not necessary the ones that deserve the most;

Who earns the most?

Politicians/Legislators: From this thisday article http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/what-nigerians-pay-fg/94277/ you will find that on the average
The about 1000 people we have in the Senate, house of rep etc earn about 390mill naira a year. They are the highest paid politicians in the world. This is about 3.5mill dollars a year, 7 times what President Barack Obama of the USA, who has highly depreciated and aged from his hard work earns. From that article also you will see that these politicians are not earning their wages, making about only 11 legislation a year. Even if they make a thousand legislation a year, they still have not earned 10% of that amount. It is only in Nigeria that a politician earns more than an experienced Doctor who caters for human life and well groomed engineers that shape our economy, ONLY IN NIGERIA.

Friends of Politicians: Google this; Theophilus Danjuma. He recently donated 100mill dollars to his Charity foundation. How did he make his money? He was given and oil block of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as a GIFT, that's right a gift, by the late Sanni Abacha. He sold this gift for mouth watering 500mill dollars to one of the oil companies. Now tell me what did he do to earn this money?? This is just one person I'm sure there are 100s of them.

Other friends of politicians also get contracts at exaggerated prices.

The ones who work to get legit contracts often have to bribe politicians, a friend of mine in Abuja got a 14mill naira contract but had to pay off a politician 7mill naira for helping him get the job. You tell me what will he have left to pay his staff. This is further compounded because most jobs are directly or indirectly government jobs because, let's face it, they control the oil money.

I can contimue to sight several examples of how "Money dey miss road" in this country, but often times if I start talking about Nigeria I can go on for days , but it has changed nothing.

Rather let me shed a little light on why Nigeria will make absolutely no progress if things continue like this;

An economy only makes progress when value is added to it. Many people have the wrong notion that money adds value, no on the bigger picture is money is even more important because it controls/facilitates the adding of value. I'll explain.

Take Mr. A and Mr. B in the Lagos economy as an example. A is a Mechanic and B is a manager in a road construction company. B is heading to work on a Monday morning to approve the repair of a damaged road. On his way to work his car breaks down. He calls A to repair it in exchange for money. A repairs the car in no time adding value to B's life and hence the economy. B drives on and approves the repair of the road and the road is repaired that same day. A adds value to the economy and his company gets paid money. In the evening when A is heading back home he makes it home 2hrs earlier because of the road that was repaired by B and he has more time for his wife and kids and the family is happier , this adds further value to the economy.

We can see here how the work of each man that gets paid adds a factor of value to the economy. B gets paid for road construction work, which directly adds value to the economy. And A gets paid with the construction work money, for fixing A's car, they both add value to the economy because they need each other. Mr B further pays his tax to the government with that same money given to him by B, and it's that same money that the government uses to pay people like B. So the money just goes round and round but in the process value is added to the economy. People add the value with money as the facilitator/controller/motivator

Moral: Money should NEVER exchange hands with out value added to the economy one way or the other.

If money exchanges hands without commensurate amount of value added to the economy, there will be a deficit in the economy and someone has to pay for it. Who pays for it? You and I.

Take for example the 500mill dollar given to Mr. Theophillus Danjuma, he added no value at all to the economy and did not deserve that money. The economy therefore operates in a 500mill dollars deficit and people are paying for it. With that money, bridges could have been constructed, schools built, research centers created, hospitals built. All of these create jobs and add value to the economy. But the economy operates in a deficit, jobs are not added and value was not created and everybody loses except the likes of Theophilus Danjuma who some times send a large chunk of this money abroad "Frolicking and junketing" as someone said.

And there are hundreds of people who get money like this every day, both for the highly over paid politicians who don't add a commensurate value to the economy, to those who get gifts of our national treasures worth billions of dollars, to those who get contracts yet know nothing about the contract and only end up selling it to those who should have got it in the first place.

Some people may argue that Danjuma used the money to set up companies, but the principle is that money should NEVER change hands without value added to the economy, but it did, and a very very huge amount of money for that matter.

I'll stop here for now.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by sisiafrika(f): 6:39pm On Nov 16, 2013
Lols
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by tpiadotcom: 7:34pm On Jul 16, 2015
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 9:31pm On Jan 10, 2020
lacewiggal:
im a pharmacist practicing in the states desperatey thinking of returning home soon to serve my fatherland. but i was looking at salaries  and they range from 60,000- 120,000 naira per month!!!!!! isn't that a form of modern day slavery? everyone knows d suffering that pharm students pass thru in school so why the low pay? less than 1000 dollars per month kwa? tufia!!!!! lol  pharmacists in the rest of the world mostly make 10- 12 times that amount per month, should we continue to perpetuate dis slavery or stand up for our rights!?

Supply outstrips demand

And the economy is weak

Well wickedness enter the mix small too
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by tck2000(m): 10:29am On Jan 11, 2020
Acidosis:
That is because people go to school to 'study' and later become a slave to either an organization or the government.
''No matter the amount you give a slave, a slave will always remain a slave''
~mcdeolu

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Pursue A Career In Public Health / What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! / Rank Of An Officer Level 14 NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.