Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB (19476 Views)

Cbn Takeover: Bankphb, Afribank, Spring Bank Couldn’t Meet Requirements / Safety Of My Money In Afribank And Others / Bank Phb, Spring Bank And Etb Mds & Eds Axed By Cbn - New Mds Appointed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by ajalaolanr(m): 10:35pm On Aug 05, 2011
What the CBN has done is just to create a temporary management for the Bank by Nationalising the Banks. By this move , CBN has also just concluded the total takeover of the Bank from the existing shareholders of the bank who could not reach an agreement with Habib bank(In this Case BANK PHB). My concern is this, why was CBN hell bent on selling those Banks when the existing shareholders had the willingness to recapitalise, Sanusi obviously has crippled the industry and eroded customer confidence in the Banking system.

Nigeria as a country is lacking in the management of information and understanding the peculiarities of the details of information, this scenario will definitely deplete the Banks deposits when customers  rush in further to withdraw their deposits which will further deplete the Banks abilities to do business, my understanding of this is also a total wreck of the Banks operational capabilities to pave way for a new investor to come forward and buy @ a scrap amount, vis-a-vis the investor will just be buying off the fixed assets of the Bank and start the Bank afresh.

When are we ever gonna move forward in this God forsaken country and learn to do things without bias and compromise, i weep seriously for Nigeria.

A concerned Banker
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by teeluv(m): 10:43pm On Aug 05, 2011
na waoo, thousands of job losses, nd escalation of crime rate, and then they say nigeria is rebranding, kai,
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Finecat(m): 10:44pm On Aug 05, 2011
Wahala repete for bank workers.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by deenee: 10:47pm On Aug 05, 2011
It is very funny how people respond to posts. Anyway, to start with, licenses have not been revoked at least for now. The hard truth is that there is so much decay and rot in  these banks that, they are almost insolvent. Some of these banks even have negative balance sheet sizes and negative equity.

It is very difficult to get investors who will be interested in channeling funds into these banks because, it is almost impossible to conduct fair asset valuations for them as entities. Though a harsh move at this  point, I in my opinion think it is a step in the right direction or would you prefer that these banks go into liquidation if they cannot get fresh injection of capital by September 30th?

The NDIC has only exercised its statutory rights and transferred ownership to bridge banks (a bank authorized to hold the assets and liabilities of another bank, specifically an insolvent bank. A bridge bank is charged with continuing the operations of the insolvent bank until the bank becomes solvent through acquisition by another entity or through liquidation). This is in the interest of the  shareholders and to ensure safety of depositors' funds. The CBN on the other hand has released a statement to reassure people that all is well.

For example, AMCON (asset mgt corp. of Nig) currently has troubles with creating the anticipated liquidity needed to revive the equity markets because , they cannot determine the actual size  of the margin loans created. When AMCON was to be enacted by law, banks were asked to carry out a due diligence and declare all margin loans, the amount declared was about 3-4 trillion. When AMCON conducted it own due diligence, it was discovered that the actual amount  was three times that size, with one of the aforementioned banks carrying about fours times the amount it declared!

It is the lack of transparency and inconsistency that has warranted this action. As my American friend would say it-would you prefer to  pick up the can now or kick it further down the road? Which ever way, you still have to pick it up one day'

I am only concerned with the manner in which the whole exercise was handled because it will just create a 'run' on these banks and further worsen their already dilapidated situation. However since the NDIC has woken up to its responsibilities and CBN is there to act as 'lender of last resort' then all should be well.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by omaojo1: 10:54pm On Aug 05, 2011
fenando po:

why are we so fast to castigate and ridicule sanusi?? these baks have no capital base, which has bee depleted. And if left to their own devices, they will go bankrupt soonest. I think we should applaud and encourage sausi for havig big balls ad cojones.
Some people don,t understand this no capital base phrase.

Acconting says ASSET=LIABILITY+OWNERS EQUITY.

Let our asset =8, liab=5 and owners equity=3.

Therefore, 8=5+3 - this is normal. it means that the owner's contributn and liabilities assumed were used to finance an asset base of 8.

In other words, 8-5=3- amount contributed by shareholders.

So if the above biz should fail, the assets can be used to settle liability claims and shareholders will still have a balance.

But in the case of these banks, A=8, l=13 and oe= -5

Then, 8=13-5- account still balances but there is a problem.

8-13=-5-there are no assets to settle liability claims. This means that a shareholder with a -5 capital is claiming to have interest in a coy.

For banks, customers deposits constitute a major part of the liabilities.

If our second  biz above were a  bank and it fails today, there are no enough assets to settle the liablities.

Now match the scenario above with the b/w 80 billion to 380 billion negetive reserves some of these banks have.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Mobinga: 11:02pm On Aug 05, 2011
Don't be ridiculous. AljHarem. Only a mad man would take actions without considering the welfare of others.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by omaojo1: 11:06pm On Aug 05, 2011
deenee:

It is very funny how people respond to posts. Anyway, to start with, licenses have not been revoked at least for now. The hard truth is that there is so much decay and rot in  these banks that, they are almost insolvent. Some of these banks even have negative balance sheet sizes and negative equity.

It is very difficult to get investors who will be interested in channeling funds into these banks because, it is almost impossible to conduct asset valuations for them as entities. Though a harsh move at this  point, but I in my opinion think it is a step in the right direction or would you prefer that these banks liquidate if they cannot get fresh injection of capital by September 30th?

The NDIC has only exercised its statutory rights and transferred ownership to bridge banks (a bank authorized to hold the assets and liabilities of another bank, specifically an insolvent bank. A bridge bank is charged with continuing the operations of the insolvent bank until the bank becomes solvent through acquisition by another entity or through liquidation). This is in the interest of the  shareholders and to ensure safety of depositors' funds. The CBN on the other hand has released a statement to reassure people that all is well.

For example, AMCON (asset mgt corp. of Nig) currently has troubles with creating the anticipated liquidity needed to revive the equity markets  because , they cannot determine the actual size margin loans created. When AMCON was to be enacted by law, banks were asked to carry out a due diligence and declare all margin loans, the amount declared was about 3-4 trillion. When AMCON conducted it own due diligence, it was discovered that the actual amount  was three times that size, with one of the aforementioned banks carrying a fours times the amount it declared!

It is the lack of transparency and inconsistency that has warranted this action. As my American friend would say it-would you prefer to  pick up the can now or kick it further down the road? Which ever way, you still have to pick it up one day'

I am only concerned with the manner in which the whole exercise was handled because it will just create a 'run' on these banks and further worsen their already dilapidated situation. However since the NDIC has woken up to its responsibilities and CBN is there to act as 'lender of last resort' then all should be well.

Well said. Let me assure you that the cbn is in touch with the key depositors of the affected banks. And i can authoritatively tell u that just a hundred depositors of one of the affected banks constitute 57% of its total deposits-remember the pareto 80-20 rule. All is actually well when u consider where the greed of the present mgt is taking these banks to and where panic runs will leave it.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by klas(m): 11:10pm On Aug 05, 2011
@omaojo1.  Good layman illustration. Hope some people who think money & banking topic in their O level economics qualifies them to run world bank will let us rest.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by omaojo1: 11:11pm On Aug 05, 2011
Mobinga:

Don't be ridiculous. AljHarem. Only a mad man would take actions without considering the welfare of others.
Can u pls clarify further. I read somewhere on this forum that the bankers committee's decisions are not bear palour decs, and will also want to toe thesame line by submitting that the cbn's decs are not hasty decs, they are well infrmed decs.

As i type, they have started changing the signages of the affected banks.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by omaojo1: 11:13pm On Aug 05, 2011
to be contnued tmrw morning
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by BIGERBOY1: 11:17pm On Aug 05, 2011
see the kind yeye bear palour responses here.?

nija i hail thee, u r lucky to have a pro active cbn to nationalize banks b4 they coz shock waves in the economy by failing and u r hear shouting sanusi.

if he let these banks collapsed and jobs are entirely lost then u will have a shock therapy lesson in banking and finance.

worst case scenerio is that these banks might right size a few jobs, better than shedding their entire staffs if they were left to liquidate  without the nationalization.

who remembers Bank of America and Citi? these banks were partly nationalized at the hight of the financial crisis, but by playing their cards right they paid back US taxpayers. unlike our yeye banks i doubt if they these natinalized banks can pay themselves out.

trust 9ja cbn saves banks its SLS agenda   , ,,, cbn lets bank fail na SLS agenda? waitrn person go do fo 9ja to get credit?
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 05, 2011
omaojo1:

For first and uba, I can comfortably say they are in the too big to fail category.

This is because they were not affected by the first examinatn that the present cbn mgt carried out.

Inter though an r8 is in a better stead; given the fact that they are circa the TIA stage of the process.

For whatever will happen, one thing is sure and it is that no depositor will lose a kobo.
ib55:

intercontinental bank is mergin wit access bank uba n first bank where never in trouble they r safe.

Thanks for the info.Appreciate grin
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by PeeDaVinci: 11:22pm On Aug 05, 2011
[size=14pt]conspiracy theory 1 about the timing - sanusi brought forward the sept deadline date to divert attention away from islamic bankin issue[/size]
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by GoldCircle: 11:42pm On Aug 05, 2011
Don't mean to cause panic, but the implications are glaring. The job of the NDIC basically is like that of an undertaker! Though the supervise from time to time, their core responsibilities show up once a bank is in trouble. Moreso, it has been mentioned that the NDIC will run these banks as bridge banks until they are handed over to AMCON. This also implies that these banks now belong to the FG. Whatever the FG wishes to do with the in the long run will therefore have some political undertone. Again, CBN has sacked the management they appointed into these banks leaving the management in the hands of the undertaker. The undertaker can choose to hurriedly bury them or preserve their bodies for some time by embalming them and thereafter burying them at a later time. Bottomline - these banks are now the properties of the Federal Government of Nigeria!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 05, 2011
Not now oga sanusi, not now. Not now dat we are still battling boko haram, single tenure, and trying to attract foreign investors. Its going to be a very sad 'red day' on next week monday at d nigerian stock exchange.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 05, 2011
GoldCircle:

Don't mean to cause panic, but the implications are glaring. The job of the NDIC basically is like that of an undertaker! Though the supervise from time to time, their core responsibilities show up once a bank is in trouble. Moreso, it has been mentioned that the NDIC will run these banks as bridge banks until they are handed over to AMCON. This also implies that these banks now belong to the FG. Whatever the FG wishes to do with the in the long run will therefore have some political undertone. Again, CBN has sacked the management they appointed into these banks leaving the management in the hands of the undertaker. The undertaker can choose to hurriedly bury them or preserve their bodies for some time by embalming them and thereafter burying them at a later time. Bottomline - these banks are now the properties of the Federal Government of Nigeria!
funny, i wish i could click a 'like' button on ur comment. But its d truth. D cash withdrawals is gonna be massive on monday, followed by negative clearing status of affected banks. Good move, wrong timing.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by lastpage: 11:55pm On Aug 05, 2011
Time will tell!
You can "confuse" some of the people, some of the time but you cannot "confuse" all the people, all the time!

Peeps have been telling us Sanusi was trying to save the banks from its present "management"!
Question is: Who appointed the "present management"? Answer: SANUSI himself!

All said and done, its not "what" Sanusi does or "How" he does it that matters, What matters is the RESULT!

What does Sanusi's "score-card", as CBN Governor tell us?

The simplest indicator of the success or failure of a CBN Governor is the CURRENCY of that country!

When Sanusi came-in as Governor, Naira rate as as follows:

$1 = #125
1GBP = #230
€1 = 165   for the major currencies.

What of TODAY?

$1 = #158
1GBP = #256
€1 = #233

Now, note that the "crash" of the Naira is "as it is", despite the following:

a.)American dollar is at its lowest in terms of real value as a result of the recession, the debt and the seemingly unending trio of multiple wars, unemployment and political wrangling

b.) The Euro is also at its lowest as a result of the groups toxic debt/bail out of the 'PIGS' (Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain).
To add salt to the Euro's injury, Italy which is the second biggest economy within the E.U, is in tatters and "will" also collapse in a matter of weeks. These factors combined make it seems like the Euro as a single currency will either fail totally or some E.U states (like Germany) will have to opt out.

c.) The U.K has seen no growth for some time now, its income has shrunk drastically and the only song it is singing to its citizens (including its military complex!) is Cuts, Cuts and Cuts! Its in a quasi-recession. Its currency has also weakened.

All the above has ensured that all these foreign currencies are under-valued!

Now imagine, if the above where not the case? "Discount these situations" and guess what the "real value" of the NAIRA is, relative to world currencies!

If this is not enough "sign" to show any wary observer that the current leadership of the CBN is a colossal failure, nothing will, EXCEPT WHEN ALL OUR (Nigerians) INVESTMENTS ARE WIPED OUT! smiley smiley

He can deploy all his P.R for all l care but l urge everyone to keep a close eye on how the NAIRA is nose-diving, same way the "value" of our assets are nose-diving!
No need for big grammar or some fancy words! And dont tell me he is "deliberately devaluing the naira"!
The naira is almost shyte, by itself.

May God help this country and save us from these silly experimentations and its "naughty Professor" grin

Just my take!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by aloyemeka2: 12:21am On Aug 06, 2011
By the time Sanusi finishes with Southern operated banks, they will accept Islamic banking by force. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by RoadStar: 12:23am On Aug 06, 2011
A lot of u were dancing to the emergence of Sanusi as CBN governor in 2009.
I had questioned his credibility, exposure and academic and proffesional qualification for the job.
And the motive behind his appointment.

I pointed out that the government as at the time was playing politics with the economy.
The position of the CBN governor was effectively zoned to the north with people like gov yaguda considered for the position.

He replaced a proffessor of international repute and well grounded in macro-economics.
Now all we have is islamic banks and bank liquidations and forced takeover.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by femmy2010(m): 12:25am On Aug 06, 2011
aloy-emeka:

By the time Sanusi finishes with Southern operated banks, they will accept Islamic banking by force. grin grin grin grin grin

Na true oo.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Obiagu1(m): 12:35am On Aug 06, 2011
very soon u guys will beg for soludo to return.
some things are done without creating tension and unnecessary loss of jobs. it requires brain and tact which sanusi lacks.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by quesra(f): 12:48am On Aug 06, 2011
one day cars will run on waterrr

Quote from: JAkpayen on Yesterday at 09:14:49 PM
One day banks will run without anybody too! lol grin grin grin
maybe if they got another 6yr tenure they could achieve that feat!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by mcgboye(m): 12:51am On Aug 06, 2011
@2bosun, very well said.
Spoke with a senior colleague who's well versed in financial matters n assets management, and he actually praised SLS for his brave moves. He told me even though the banks were given till 30 Sept, the signs are strong that the banks could go into liquidation withing the next 2weeks if something drastic is not done. Don't forget the original move by SLS was Aug 14, 2009, and if these banks cannot do anything within 2 years, there's really no hope
BTW, I got an SMS an hour ago from PHB saying there's no threat to jobs.
Let me close by saying this, SLS couldn't have sat in his study at home and revoked banks' licenses. In fact, NDIC came out with the recommendation. CBn merely approved the revocation/issuance of license
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by DisGuy: 1:10am On Aug 06, 2011
subscribing

Very glad there are sane people in here amongst the beer parlour enthusiasts
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by olaolabiy: 1:40am On Aug 06, 2011
lastpage:

The simplest indicator of the success or failure of a CBN Governor is the CURRENCY of that country!

$1 = #125
1GBP = #230
€1 = 165   for the major currencies.

What of TODAY?

$1 = #158
1GBP = #256
€1 = #233

a.)American dollar is at its lowest in terms of real value as a result of the recession, the debt and the seemingly unending trio of multiple wars, unemployment and political wrangling

b.) The Euro is also at its lowest as a result of the groups toxic debt/bail out of the 'PIGS' (Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain).
To add salt to the Euro's injury, Italy which is the second biggest economy within the E.U, is in tatters and "will" also collapse in a matter of weeks. These factors combined make it seems like the Euro as a single currency will either fail totally or some E.U states (like Germany) will have to opt out.

c.) The U.K has seen no growth for some time now, its income has shrunk drastically and the only song it is singing to its citizens (including its military complex!) is Cuts, Cuts and Cuts! Its in a quasi-recession. Its currency has also weakened.

Now imagine, if the above where not the case? "Discount these situations" and guess what the "real value" of the NAIRA is, relative to world currencies!

If this is not enough "sign" to show any wary observer that the current leadership of the CBN is a colossal failure, nothing will, EXCEPT WHEN ALL OUR (Nigerians) INVESTMENTS ARE WIPED OUT! smiley smiley

May God help Nairaland. Why do some people analyze issues this way?

Not taking sides but currency? Currency? Judging your CBN governor on Naira performance alone?

It seems you don't understand why we have fluctuations in the currency market.
SMH
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by yungeorge(m): 1:49am On Aug 06, 2011
Me i no dey understand GEJ and naija at a whole again oo
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 06, 2011
lastpage:

Time will tell!
You can "confuse" some of the people, some of the time but you cannot "confuse" all the people, all the time!

Peeps have been telling us Sanusi was trying to save the banks from its present "management"!

All said and done, its not "what" Sanusi does or "How" he does it that matters, What matters is the RESULT!

$1 = #125
1GBP = #230

What of TODAY?

$1 = #158
1GBP = #256
€1 = #233

He can deploy all his P.R for all l care but l urge everyone to keep a close eye on how the NAIRA is nose-diving, same way the "value" of our assets are nose-diving!
No need for big grammar or some fancy words! And dont tell me he is "deliberately devaluing the naira"!

May God help this country and save us from these silly experimentations and its "naughty Professor" grin

Just my take!

*yawns*
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by 2bosun: 2:22am On Aug 06, 2011
lastpage:

Time will tell!

[/b]When Sanusi came-in as Governor, Naira rate as as follows:

$1 = #125
1GBP = #230

What of TODAY?

$1 = #158
1GBP = #256
€1 = #233

Now, note that the "crash" of the Naira is "[b]as it is
", despite the following:

Just my take!

Common my man don't be silly! You can't blame the CBN alone for the Naira's depreciation. You seemed to conveniently forget that his appointment coincided with that of Yaradua/Jonathan who run a very expensive government.

True, the CBN's monetary policy is crap but the fiscal framework is even worse- which is why the Naira is "almost shyte". SLS did the right thing at the right time, as much as I hate to admit it- I think it was good decision. The banks were a ticking time bomb- he had to defuse them rather they explode- and everyone suffer even more.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by aukasa: 2:39am On Aug 06, 2011
By Obinna Chima

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Friday said it has withdrawn the banking licenses of Spring Bank Plc, Afribank Plc and Bank PHB Plc, saying that the three rescued banks have not shown the necessary capacity and ability to beat the September 30 ,2011 recapitalisation deadline.

A statement from the apex bank also expressed support for the decision by the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) to adopt the ‘Bridge Bank Mechanism.’
Specifically, the CBN said it has issued banking licenses to three Bridge Banks.
Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, NDIC, Mr. Umaru Ibrahim, who briefed the media in Lagos Friday, listed the three Bridge Banks as : “MainStreet Bank Limited, Keystone Bank Limited and Enterprise Bank Limited.
He said the new banks will become operational from Monday adding that the decision to create the Bridge Banks was in line with the NDIC Act.

According to Ibrahim, the corporation consulted with the CBN and Federal Ministry of Finance, before establishing the Bridge Banks which are temporary banks set up by a regulator to administer the deposits and liabilities of [b]a failed bank.[/b]

The NDIC also said the assets and liabilities of the aforementioned financial institutions have been taken over by the Bridge Bank.
The CBN and NDIC had in 2009, carried out a special examination of all the 24 banks in the country. Then, 10 banks were adjudged to be in grave state as they were deficient in capital adequacy. Afterwards, two of the affected banks – Wema Bank Plc and Unity Bank had recapitalised.

The CBN which fixed a September 30 deadline for the recapitalisation of the remaining had earlier threatened to liquidate any bank that fails to beat the deadline.

It later threatened to nationalise any of the banks that fails to scale the recapitalisation hurdle.
It however soft pedalled, and threatened to nationalise the banks.

Union Bank Plc, Intercontinental Bank Plc, FinBank Plc and Oceanic Bank International Plc have all reached advanced stages in their respective recapitalisation process.
But the NDIC boss disclosed that Equitorial Trust Bank Limited (ETB), one of the rescued banks, is currently in the final stage of its negotiation with a prospective investor, adding that there were strong likelihood that the bank will meet the September 30 deadline.
Ibrahim said: “MainStreet Bank Limited has assumed the assets and liabilities of Afribank, while Keystone Bank Limited has assumed the assets and liabilities of Bank PHB. Enterprise Bank Limited has assumed the assets and liabilities of Spring Bank.”
He said the three Bridge Bank are local banks. With this arrangement, Ibrahim said a fresh management will be appointed to manage the banks from Monday. Commenting on the move by Fidelity Bank Plc to acquire Afribank Plc, he said the “Board of Afribank decided that they will not go along with Fidelity.”
The NDIC boss stressed that the corporation was encouraged by the provision of the Bridge Bank option in the law governing the country, to resolve the problems in the banking industry.

Ibrahim insisted that the Bridge Bank option was adopted to prevent the liquidation of the banks, which he pointed out, may have dire consequence on depositors and may also undermine public confidence in the banking system.

He added: “The essence of establishing a Bridge Bank is to provide for continuity essentially in banking service and to protect depositors. It is an arrangement with ensures that no depositor loses his money. By Monday if you are a depositor in any of these banks, you can knock at the door and get your money and it will continue like that, unlike in a situation where you liquidate the banks.
“In the past, we have seen depositors die once a bank is liquidated. But here, you (depositors) have an umbrella that provides you with total protection, until when we are able to get investors to recapitalise these banks.”

Ibrahim said further: “The Bridge Bank option is a veritable tool for enhancing depositors’ operations and promoting confidence by ensuring seamless continuity of banking operations. The NDIC will operate the Bridge Banks until such a time that we engage the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) with a view to capitalising the Bridge Banks.

“AMCON is expected to open up negotiation with investors with investors who may be interested in capitalising the Bridge Banks. With this action, a resolution of the crisis in the Nigerian banking system is assured, as it brings certainty and stability to the banking system. It is worthy of note, that unlike other parts of the world where depositors lost funds in the resolution of banking crisis, no depositor lost any fund in this reform process in Nigeria.”

Director, Assets Management, NDIC, Mr Adeleke Adedayo, explained further, saying from Monday, “there will be no bank in Nigeria operating as Afribank, Spring Bank and Bank PHB. The three banks that we have created are the banks that have acquired the assets and liabilities of the banks. If you have money with any of these banks, if you want to use your ATM or from the banking hall, you can go there and withdraw you money.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/

These banks have been declared failed, fellow Nairalanders shine ya eye rush to the banks if they open on Monday to withdraw your cash,the names of the bridge banks are even scary, no matter what with the global financial crunch I doubt if these cacass banks will survive till December, when they will finally sink.

Any staff affected by these banking uncertainty should be adequately compensated without delay.

I wish the CBN and NDIC the best as they manage the challenge ahead.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Odunnu: 3:30am On Aug 06, 2011
I stil dont gerrit
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by OAM4J: 3:46am On Aug 06, 2011
I do not expect anybody to take his/her money to any of these bridge banks from Monday, but i expect massive panic withdrawals from Monday. If possible some will withdraw to their last kobo by Monday. And while they keep paying I do not expect any depositor to have a kobo left by the end of next week. So technically if they keep paying the banks should be totally dead by the end of next week and if they fail to pay, then there would be fire in d mountain.

In fact as we speak if the ATMs are working, i expect some will be withdrawing the maximum they can withdraw from now till Monday.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by pat077: 5:51am On Aug 06, 2011
I hope my moni is save.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jumia Shuts Down Operations In Cameroon / Motorist Calls Out Fuel Attendants For Allegedly 'scamming' Customers (video) / Paypal Accidentally Gives Man $92 Quadrillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.