Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,370 members, 7,815,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:25 PM

CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB (19473 Views)

Cbn Takeover: Bankphb, Afribank, Spring Bank Couldn’t Meet Requirements / Safety Of My Money In Afribank And Others / Bank Phb, Spring Bank And Etb Mds & Eds Axed By Cbn - New Mds Appointed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by chamber2(m): 7:35am On Aug 06, 2011
Bravo!!! Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. You are a true champion and an advocate of the poor. May you live long to reap the fruit of your labour.

Sanusi, within 2 yrs, has been able to achieve what the global economic meltdown couldn't achieve for Nigeria. Bravo!!!

I am yet to see what Sanusi did right since he took over the CBN.

Investor and depositor confidence have been reduced to zero. A young economy like ours, with this self created turbulence, is heading to doom.

The future looks so bleak if sanusi is allowed to kill entrepreneurship  in this manner.

I need no much economics to understand the impact of this news to the economy of Nigeria.

As i write all ATM machines are on fire, there is massive withdrawal right now.

A staff of the affected bank just collapsed.

Foreign investors are afraid of stepping into Nigeria and those already in are moving to Ghana.

There is huge capital flight going on right now.

It will take us another 10 yrs of massive investment to recover from this self created shock.

Sanusi, welldone.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by deenee: 7:36am On Aug 06, 2011
@lastpage, your analysis is off point.On the contrary,CBN is trying its's  right nowbest to stabilize the Naira.

The main reason why there is so much discrepancy in the exchange rate is because we are an import oriented economy. Every we use from toothbrush, electronic appliances and even our cars are imported! So, there is a huge imbalance in terms international trade.
Do you know how much actually leaves the shores of Nigeria daily through 'capital flight' as a result of this huge imbalance?

Banks have been nationalized to ensure safety of depositors and shareholder's funds.I support the decision all the way.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Sike(m): 7:37am On Aug 06, 2011
Plz o! Simple English, me i dont understand. That is to say. . . I dont Care!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by deenee: 7:39am On Aug 06, 2011
@chamber2,
Pls stop sounding 'like a raging bull in china shop' and an alarmist!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by chamber2(m): 7:41am On Aug 06, 2011
Pls stop sounding 'like a raging bull in china shop' and an alarmist!

You should say this to Sanusi.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by fuke(m): 7:52am On Aug 06, 2011
Is this man on drugs?
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Abagworo(m): 7:56am On Aug 06, 2011
Those banks have emerged as a new bank known as Keystone Bank Limited(KBL).In a text I got this morning,they claim that all staff are guaranteed of their job and depositor,s money as well.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by chamber2(m): 8:04am On Aug 06, 2011
Those banks have emerged as a new bank known as Keystone Bank Limited(KBL).In a text I got this morning,they claim that all staff are guaranteed of their job and depositor,s money as well.

Stop deceiving yourself. Did we not receive similar text in 2009? What happened afterwards? Nigerians should stop being naive.The degree of inconsistency in Sanusi's policy is capable of crumbling the economy. First, it was 30th september and now he woke up from his islamic banking razzmatazz and nationalised the banks. Haba! Sudden shocks such as this gives deadly blow to the entire system.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by johnie: 8:04am On Aug 06, 2011
Can anyone provide details of the "attrocities" committed by the CBN management?
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by SamOgasco(m): 8:16am On Aug 06, 2011
In case you might not know this before this time that the proposed Islamic Banking has been remaned/changed from it initial Islamic Banking to Boko Haram Acess Bank (BHAB) Ltd. So beware of whom you bank with.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by 2bosun: 8:19am On Aug 06, 2011
chamber2:

Bravo!!! Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. You are a true champion and an advocate of the poor. May you live long to reap the fruit of your labour.

Sanusi, within 2 yrs, has been able to achieve what the global economic meltdown couldn't achieve for Nigeria. Bravo!!!

I am yet to see what Sanusi did right since he took over the CBN.

Investor and depositor confidence have been reduced to zero. A young economy like ours, with this self created turbulence, is heading to doom.

The future looks so bleak if sanusi is allowed to kill entrepreneurship  in this manner.

I need no much economics to understand the impact of this news to the economy of Nigeria.

As i write all ATM machines are on fire, there is massive withdrawal right now.

A staff of the affected bank just collapsed.

Foreign investors are afraid of stepping into Nigeria and those already in are moving to Ghana.

There is huge capital flight going on right now.

It will take us another 10 yrs of massive investment to recover from this self created shock.

Sanusi, welldone.

It's expected there will probably be mass withdrawals, that's fine and the effects will be minimal because these banks have the government as a backbone to fall back on and will probably be merged with banks with large balance sheets anyway. What they did not want was the bank going down with all the debtors escaping, as time goes on people will regain confidence back. Our banking system is much stronger than most other African countries-Ghana included.

Investors ain't coming to Nigeria not because of our banks but the unfriendly business climate. The bad news is that there will be some  job losses eventually when the assets are "bridged" but again that's happening all over the world now.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by johnie: 8:24am On Aug 06, 2011
Oops. I meant atrocities committed by the CBN-appointed management.

There was an uproar for instance about Cyril Chukwuma of PHB when he first took over.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by fuke(m): 8:25am On Aug 06, 2011
I just read the banks were Nationalized not murdered per see.

I am sorry for my last comment and it is hereby withdrawn.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by chamber2(m): 8:40am On Aug 06, 2011
It's expected there will probably be mass withdrawals, that's fine and the effects will be minimal because these banks have the government as a[b] backbone to fall back on and will probably be merged with banks with large balance sheets anyway.[/b] What they did not want was the bank going down with all the debtors escaping, as time goes on people will regain confidence back. Our banking system is much stronger than most other African countries-Ghana included.

Investors ain't coming to[b] Nigeria not because of our banks[/b] but the unfriendly business climate. The bad news is that there will be some  job losses eventually when they assets are "bridged" but again that's happening all over the world now.

Banks play vital roles in the development of any economy and the level of policy inconsistency by regulators gives negative signal to prospective investors. Agreed, these banks are not in good shape and the CBN came through various means to salvage the situation. First the CBN printed tax payer's money without parliamentary approval and dished out to these banks. As if that was not enough the cbn further directed that these banks had uptill 30th September to recapitalise only for the cbn to wake up suddenly and nationalisedd the banks. This action, will have immediate and future implications in terms of investor and customer confidence.Destroying jobs in an already saturated labour market is not a good policy move, especially in an economy that is witnessing stunted economic development in the last few decades.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 06, 2011
fuke
link=topic=728696.msg8866311#msg8866311 date=1312615534:

I just read the banks were Nationalized not murdered per see.

I am sorry for my last comment and it is hereby withdrawn.

@fuke,
go and sin no more! grin
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by sirjec(m): 8:53am On Aug 06, 2011
Sanusi is obviously a bad manager. So he is CBN governor to be revoking licences? A CBN governor should be able to manage those banks and advise them on what to do to remain afloat. This is just like the scenerio when Bush took over from Clinton, Lol Sanusi is Bush while Soludo is Clinton
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by 2bosun: 8:54am On Aug 06, 2011
chamber2:

Banks play vital roles in the development of any economy and the level of policy inconsistency by regulators gives negative signal to prospective investors. Agreed, these banks are not in good shape and the CBN came through various means to salvage the situation. First the CBN printed tax payer's money without parliamentary approval and dished out to these banks. As if that was not enough the cbn further directed that these banks had uptill 30th September to recapitalise only for the cbn to wake up suddenly and nationalisedd the banks. This action, will have immediate and future implications in terms of investor and customer confidence.Destroying jobs in an already saturated labour market is not a good policy move, especially in an economy that is witnessing stunted economic development in the last few decades.

Central banks don't need parliamentary approval to print money if it's in public interest. The banks failed stress tests (they were never going to get the capital in a months time), if they went down it would have led to another recession- with even more financial & job losses. This is a minor blip compared to what could have happened, the CBN could not wait around to watch these banks collapse when banks in Spain, Italy, and even the UK are shaky at the mo. The implications would be minor and short-term.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by ayandee: 8:59am On Aug 06, 2011
Gbam! True talk
aloy-emeka:

By the time Sanusi finishes with Southern operated banks, they will accept Islamic banking by force. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 06, 2011
sirjec:

Sanusi is obviously a bad manager. So he is CBN governor to be revoking licences? A CBN governor should be able to manage those banks and advise them on what to do to remain afloat. This is just like the scenerio when Bush took over from Clinton,  Lol Sanusi is Bush while Soludo is Clinton
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by kettykin: 9:12am On Aug 06, 2011
what happens to those who bought shares of these banks,

sanusi is driven by northern / islamic patriotism let us see where that will take him to, for 2 years now no meaninful progress in the banking industry, why didnt the federal government allow soludo to finish what he started why bring this clown to kill/nationalise private banks and introduce sharia banks.

If private banks dont do well is it sharia banks that will ?
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by DisGuy: 9:27am On Aug 06, 2011
sirjec:

Sanusi is obviously a bad manager. So he is CBN governor to be revoking licences? A CBN governor should be able to manage those banks and advise them on what to do to remain afloat. This is just like the scenerio when Bush took over from Clinton,  Lol Sanusi is Bush while Soludo is Clinton

Why dont you allow others to educate you or make things clearer for you, if you still arent sure what is happening or even the functions of the CBN
Actually this is a scenario like when Obama took over from Bush- The global economy was in a stable condition, cheap funds were available then now someone has to deal with the clean up, unemployemeny has risen to an all time high in the USA, Banks are still utting thousands of Jobs till date, does tat mean Obama and his financial gurus are to blame for not being able to stablise the economy ??
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by DisGuy: 9:36am On Aug 06, 2011
chamber2:

Stop deceiving yourself. Did we not receive similar text in 2009? What happened afterwards? Nigerians should stop being naive.The degree of [b]inconsistency [/b]in Sanusi's policy is capable of crumbling the economy. First, it was 30th september and now he woke up from his islamic banking razzmatazz and nationalised the banks. Haba! Sudden shocks such as this gives deadly blow to the entire system.

Inconsistencies Such as?
Will anybody in their right mind really wait till a 'sept 30th to act? i mean its not rocket science, will a company being carried along by taxoayers money since 2009 suddenly find partners in 2 months? Or you want the people to clean out on 29th then wait for CBN action the next day?
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by omaojo1: 9:42am On Aug 06, 2011
kettykin:

what happens to those who bought shares of these banks,

sanusi is driven by northern / islamic patriotism let us see where that will take him to, for 2 years now no meaninful progress in the banking industry, why didnt the federal government allow soludo to finish what he started why bring this clown to kill/nationalise private banks and introduce sharia banks.

If private banks dont do well is it sharia banks that will ?
The first banking crisis where no bank has failed and no depositor has lost a kobo.

Time and chance happen to everything and sanusi emerged when the system needs corectnn.

Thank God we have someone like him championing this cause at a time as this.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by omaojo1: 9:52am On Aug 06, 2011
Dis Guy:

Inconsistencies Such as?
Will anybody in their right mind really wait till a 'sept 30th to act? i mean its not rocket science, will a company being carried along by taxoayers money since 2009 suddenly find partners in 2 months? Or you want the people to clean out on 29th then wait for CBN action the next day?
You have said it all. yes, the cbn appointed the present mgt but greed and selfishness has blindfolded them that they can't act right again-an average nigerian's habit.
The cbn did not hint them on this move at all. One of them went to abj to get update from sls but did not succeed.
If not that the apex bank took them unawares, they would have further dampened the reserves of these concerns.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by zikclassiq(m): 10:09am On Aug 06, 2011
gtb 4 life!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by celemel(m): 10:12am On Aug 06, 2011
Those banks died long ago. Simple!  All efforts to revive them were thwarted by their so-called owners.  Now, the new banks are just there to manage the assets+liabilities for a short while and sell same to any interested buyer in the future. A bridge bank is a temporary bank, set up by a regulator to manage a distressed, failing or failed bank. It is good riddance to bad rubbish . NDIC is acting to protect the depositor and ensure that THEIR funds are safe.  Too bad for the workers who would be the big losers in the long run. If you had any share in the defunct banks, sorry for you.  Just keep the certificate as memorabilia. You would get nothing for it forever. If you hold an account, keep running it.  Your money is safe and guaranteed.  For those who are reading islamic, christian, hausa, ibo etc. meanings, I have no word to share.  I'd rather leave you to drool in your myopia and foolish fantasies.  The NDIC and CBN moved swiftly, to safeguard the little that is left in those banks and shield the economy from the consequence of their collapse that was a matter of days. Sanusi is a man of great courage, valour, determination and professionalism.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by shawonlese: 10:15am On Aug 06, 2011
A stitch in time from the magician himself.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by DisGuy: 10:18am On Aug 06, 2011
omaojo1:

You have said it all. yes, the cbn appointed the present mgt but greed and selfishness has blindfolded them that they can't act right again-an average nigerian's habit. The cbn did not hint them on this move at all. One of them went to abj to get update from sls but did not succeed.
If not that the apex bank took them unawares, they would have further dampened the reserves of these concerns.

I actually wanted to say that too but didn't want to generalise as the other appointed Managers did well to stabilise the bank and got them in a stable condition,and maybe some just didn't succeed because of the level of rot and in-fighting

This same thing happened at the beginning as well, one went to Ota to meet obasanjo before rushing out of the country when the axe was coming that's after several adverts in the newspapers- how tacky is that!!!
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by johnie: 10:25am On Aug 06, 2011
the cbn appointed the present mgt but greed and selfishness has blindfolded them that they can't act right again-an average nigerian's habit.
The cbn did not hint them on this move at all. One of them went to abj to get update from sls but did not succeed.
If not that the apex bank took them unawares.

I am convinced that a major reason for this action is the activities of these CBN appointed managers.

There have been allegations that they were not better than the original managers removed by SLS.

Details of these peoples' "crimes" please.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by norrisman: 10:38am On Aug 06, 2011
@ celemel

Thank God we still have educated and intelligent people like you in Nigeria. When you read some comments from majority of posters on this thread, you start to wonder if they are stark illiterates or people who went to school but learnt nothing. You know the types who claim they are educated but can communicate in english. The internet exposes the ignorance and dullness of so many Nairaland posters. I hope the distribution of people on here is not a representation of what we have in Nigeria.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by chamber2(m): 10:46am On Aug 06, 2011
Inconsistencies Such as?

Only time will tell if Sanusi is right or wrong in his policy actions. But as it is always the case precedence have continued to show that SLS's hasty actions leaves devastating blow in the economy. Making decisions based on impulse and bigoted disposition is never the right path to tow. Even as at today these banks are meeting their customer's cash withdrawal request and there is no sign of sudden collapse. Maybe SLS is seeing what me and most other Nigerians are not seeing, but whatever may be the case, only time will tell

Thank God we still have educated and intelligent people like you in Nigeria. When you read some comments from majority of posters on this thread, you start to wonder if they are stark illiterates or people who went to school but learnt nothing. You know the types who claim they are educated but can communicate in english. The internet exposes the ignorance and dullness of so many Nairaland posters. I hope the distribution of people on here is not a representation of what we have in Nigeria.

The fact that someone does not share your view in an issue does not make him/her an illiterate, get it. What you do in such case, as a supposed educated person, is to hold on to your own view. What will be the value of education if we don't have different perspectives to issues and events. Try to respect other person's opinion, it is another attribute of an educated person.
Re: CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB by DisGuy: 10:56am On Aug 06, 2011
chamber2:

Only time will tell if Sanusi is right or wrong in his policy actions. But as it is always the case precedence have continued to show that SLS's hasty actions leaves devastating blow in the economy. Making decisions based on impulse and bigoted disposition is never the right path to tow. Even as at today these banks are meeting their customer's cash withdrawal request and there is no sign of sudden collapse. Maybe SLS is seeing what me and most other Nigerians are not seeing, but whatever may be the case, only time will tell

That says it all really, I mean you have been bashing these inconsistent policies (which you fail t list),
which of the decisions have had devastating effects on the economy?
The cheap loans he is givng to the manufacturers? The decision to pump money into badly run banks with taxpayers' govt money,
the fact that no single depositiors have lost money?
Or is the move towards a cost effective cash management policy already affecting the economy?
Is the move to create an islamic license already affecting manufacturing companies?
Is the policy to retired CEO that served over x years really affecting the economy?
Is the move towards a uniform year end affecting nigeria?
Is the adoption of IFRS really doing anything for foreign investors?

They are meeting their customer request BECAUSE THE CBN HS CLEARLY GIVEN THEM MONEY,
BECAUSE THE CBN HAS CLEARLY GUARANTEED THEIR LOANS!!! T
There is no sign of sudden collapse because someone has made a decision to support them with money you claim had no 'constitutional backing!!!
these banks should have failed!!

Why do you think the uk government want to sell Northern rock, why do you think RBS is still losing money even though it is owned 84% by the people now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jumia Shuts Down Operations In Cameroon / Motorist Calls Out Fuel Attendants For Allegedly 'scamming' Customers (video) / Paypal Accidentally Gives Man $92 Quadrillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.