Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening (2038 Views)

Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) / Why Are Most Nigerian Lecturers So Wicked And Heartless? / Nigerian Lecturers Spend Tetfund Research Grants On Cars, Houses – Tetfund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by CaptainZubi: 7:35pm On Aug 18, 2022
I mean why should you treat a postgraduate student like an undergraduate.

Earlier today a lecturer sent a 40 something year old married man with kids to buy peak milk for him cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Natbrowny: 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2022
grin grin grin

This isnt talked about enuff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2022
Its unfair!

1 Like

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 10:13pm On Aug 18, 2022
You're in Nigeria, not America. Just close your eyes and go and buy the Peak Milk for the Lecturer. Are you not the one who wants to pass... abi you want to repeat a course bcoz of Peak Milk?.
Besides the Lecturer must be far older than the 40 something year old man.

4 Likes

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by RepoMan007: 10:18pm On Aug 18, 2022
CaptainZubi:

Earlier today a lecturer sent a 40 something year old married man with kids to buy peak milk for him cry
African stupidity called culture.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Babamide(m): 11:12pm On Aug 18, 2022
The way Nigerian lecturers treat all students (whether undergraduate or postgraduate) is distasteful
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Juliearth(f): 11:14pm On Aug 18, 2022
CaptainZubi:

Do we even talk about their excess demands during seminars? Someone I know spent close to 100k on refreshment. Then let's talk about the digital backwardness of asking students to print 15 copies of their research for content reading and criticism. What happened to soft copies? That was how I "wasted" 20k to print copies of my work.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by ajekpaks(m): 11:24pm On Aug 18, 2022
that one better... my uncle was gisting me today how he was invited to madams house to wash clothes... two baths of clothes with his white bear bear and all

3 Likes

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by ednut1(m): 12:28am On Aug 19, 2022
You are implying that undergraduates deserve that same treatment you complain of?
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by NaMe4: 2:21am On Aug 19, 2022
ajekpaks:
that one better... my uncle was gisting me today how he was invited to madams house to wash clothes... two baths of clothes with his white bear bear and all

grin grin grin

The long journey to professorship.

You can imagine the orientation such individual would develop regarding the system

This country eh, I no know Wetin fit give am hard reset.

2 Likes

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by atimadesign(m): 5:14am On Aug 19, 2022
Some take it as competition especially in state universities.

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Richy4(m): 5:23am On Aug 19, 2022
That is just sad...
No student undergraduate or post graduate student deserves that...

Very soon they will start eating poison.. embarassed

1 Like

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by mespusinglez(m): 5:45am On Aug 19, 2022
NA WHEN YOU GIVE THE LECTURER FACE NA
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Thermodynamics(m): 5:53am On Aug 19, 2022
DaddyFreeze2020:
You're in Nigeria, not America. Just close your eyes and go and buy the Peak Milk for the Lecturer. Are you not the one who wants to pass... abi you want to repeat a course bcoz of Peak Milk?.
Besides the Lecturer must be far older than the 40 something year old man.

What do you mean by "you're in Nigeria" are you trying to say that Nigeria from the onset has been a designated place for stupidity? Stop that mentality, wether in Nigeria/Somalia/Niger/U.S the lecturer has no right to do what he did, period.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by starpower(m): 6:24am On Aug 19, 2022
CaptainZubi:

A friend boss doing PhD in unilag, this man rolls with governors and director but in his fifties. Lecturer told him to come find thesis script thrice, another told him to pay business class ticket.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by BeanmanX(m): 6:54am On Aug 19, 2022
starpower:
A friend boss doing PhD in unilag, this man rolls with governors and director but in his fifties. Lecturer told him to come find thesis script thrice, another told him to pay business class ticket.
Nigerian lectures re known sadist,,,dis is why I prefer schooling abroad..
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by robinso01(m): 8:16am On Aug 19, 2022
Nigerians lecturers can almost turns responsible students to cultists with their attitudes and ways towards students, being undergraduate or post-graduate.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by CaptainZubi: 9:43am On Aug 19, 2022
Juliearth:

Do we even talk about their excess demands during seminars? Someone I know spent close to 100k on refreshment. Then let's talk about the digital backwardness of asking students to print 15 copies of their research for content reading and criticism. What happened to soft copies? That was how I "wasted" 20k to print copies of my work.
They'll ask you to buy refreshments for all the lecturers during seminar. Or you even forgot those that will tell you to pay like #70k to English department so they can proof read and correct mistakes for you.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by YourFavorite21(m): 9:56am On Aug 19, 2022
Na wetin I dey face in my school be this, I've spent almost 100k on my seminar and project , and it must be done through the useless Lecturer you dare not do the project with another person.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by ComputerOperato: 2:59pm On Aug 19, 2022
You don't know half of it.
I dont even want to talk about my PG experience.
However, I'm trying to give my students a better experience.

Modified
The financial implications are not even the problem. It comes with the territory.
The deep emotional trauma, the insults etc.
My own is that if karma fails to do its job.... (I no kuku trust the Karma self)
Well... Last to do is sweet...

2 Likes

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Juliearth(f): 6:02pm On Aug 19, 2022
CaptainZubi:

They'll ask you to buy refreshments for all the lecturers during seminar. Or you even forgot those that will tell you to pay like #70k to English department so they can proof read and correct mistakes for you.

70k indeed! Nothing wrong in providing light refreshment to the panelist, but a situation where panelists would expect you to satisfy their gluttonous cravings is a total anomaly.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Emmamay10: 6:40pm On Aug 19, 2022
Nah normal level in Nigeria universities, mostly especially in public universities. I'm a PG student too. I've been sent on errands both by the academic staff and non academic staff. There was a time one of the non academic staffs told me that my files could go missing in the department. Ever since then, I always ensured I duplicate any documents I submitted to the department.

1 Like

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Richy4(m): 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2022
Juliearth:

70k indeed! Nothing wrong in providing light refreshment to the panelist, but a situation where panelists would expect you to satisfy their gluttonous cravings is a total anomaly.
Every thing is wrong with it dear. It is not the responsibilities of the students to provide refreshments to the panelists.. it is the responsibility of the dean of faculty or departmental HOD to budget for that...
To make sure that refreshments are there including bottled waters for the students who might be nervous while defending their projects... That's how normal universities does it..

2 Likes

Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Juliearth(f): 3:02am On Aug 20, 2022
Richy4:

Every thing is wrong with it dear. It is not the responsibilities of the students to provide refreshments to the panelists.. it is the responsibility of the dean of faculty or departmental HOD to budget for that...
To make sure that refreshments are there including bottled waters for the students who might be nervous while defending their projects... That's how normal universities does it..

Are you aware that water is considered to be light refreshment? I understand that a requisition is drafted for this purpose, but I could still part with a thousand for water. Not proper like you said, but far better than wasting 100k on that.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Juliearth(f): 3:06am On Aug 20, 2022
Richy4:

Water for nervous students I laugh in the 99 languages native to the people of Makerere. Surely not in Nigeria.
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Karleb(m): 10:14am On Aug 20, 2022
Richy4:

A lot of Nigerians don't know they are not normal.

How do you justify buying refreshments for your lecturers as a student? Didn't you pay school fees?
Re: The Way Nigerian Lecturers Treat PG Students Is Disheartening by Richy4(m): 11:11am On Aug 20, 2022
Karleb:

A lot of Nigerians don't know they are not normal.

How do you justify buying refreshments for your lecturers as a student? Didn't you pay school fees?
The work of teachers/ lecturers are to influence their students and Nigerian lecturers are really doing that with reckless abandon to an extent, the students don't even know their left from right sad

They made the students forget their responsibility as lecturers...
Part of their job descriptions was to grade papers... Be it project, assignment or examinations...How can a student that paid his tuition fees, departmental fee and probably faculty fees be asked to provide a refreshment for his/ her paper to be graded? And someone didn't see anything wrong in it..

(1) (Reply)

Post Utme Result Of Oau Ife Is Out. / Federal Polytechnic Offa Admission List Is Out / Ebsu Aspirants And The Post Ume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.