Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,576 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Al-mustapha’s Bribery Allegation Splits Yoruba Leaders. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Al-mustapha’s Bribery Allegation Splits Yoruba Leaders. (770 Views)

$500,000 Bribery Allegation Rocks APC Zoning Panel / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Al-mustapha’s Bribery Allegation Splits Yoruba Leaders. by oshyno(m): 12:41pm On Aug 06, 2011
By Abdulwahab Abdulah, Ishola Balogun and Bashir Adefaka

The revelation and video tape tendered to a Lagos High Court Thursday as exhibit by the former Chief Security Officer to the late General Sani Abacha, Major Hamzat Al-Mustapha, is now tearing Yoruba leaders apart.

Many of them have debunked the claim by Al-Mustapha that late Yoruba leaders, Abraham Adesanya and Bola Ige were ‘settled’ to douse the tension generated by the death of the late winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, Chief MKO Abiola, while others such as Dr. Fredrick Fasheun who earlier posited that the statement by the former CSO should not be taken as truth have taken a new position.

Fasheun suggested that the Federal Government should set up a commission of enquiry to unravel the truth.When he was called the second time on his position, he reiterated that: “I was in the court and I saw the video clip shown. I am not a cynic.” The video tape (VHS) which was played in the court contained less than a minute’s clip of an encounter between some pro-democracy leaders, led by the late Chief Abraham Adesanya and some journalists, who asked him questions on their meeting with the then Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar.

Fasheun who saw the video clip at the court when it was played said he was now persuaded to believe the story, adding that it was confirmed. “ It is no longer an allegation. It was confirmed when they showed the video tape and with the video tape, it is no longer an allegation.”

When reminded of his earlier position, he said: “Yes, I said before that I would not believe Major Al-Mustapha but now, having seen the electronic evidence, I am persuaded to believe. I am not a cynic,” he stated.

Fasehun in a press briefing yesterday said his call for the release of Al-Mustapha over the years was borne out of the conviction that so many things happened which led to the non actualization of the mandate of Abiola and his eventual death in custody.

Calling for the immediate release of Al-Mustapha, Fasehun described his detention as “indecent, prolonged, inhuman and unjustified incarceration,” saying, “everyone now know my concern.”

He therefore said, “I will advocate that to safeguard national security, Nigeria’s image and the judiciary’s integrity, authorities should immediately free Major Hamza Al-Mustapha.”

While justifying his position, Fasehun said “for one, Major Al-Mustapha has been denied justice. The 13 years he has spent locked up amounts to 20 prison years. For what? Furthermore, I am aware that his sensitive post as a former security chief had made him a custodian of information which, if mishandled, was capable of rocking national security.”

He added that, “his keeping quiet, despite suffering 13 years of chain, torture and privation, convinced me that this man indeed valued national security above personal comfort. However, his unending incarceration has forced him to finally open up on some of the mind-boggling information he erstwhile kept close to his chest.”

Speaking on Boko Haram and the violence associated with the Sect, Fasehun said the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar raised quite some eyebrows by absolving the sect from blame for taking up arms against the state as well as condemning the ongoing military crackdown on the violent sect.

Insisting it is a fabricated story, Chief Olu Falae challenged Al Mustapha to name those who collected money. The former Secretary to the Federal Government and Minister of Finance stated that it was not wrong for the former Head of state, General Abdulsalami Abubakar to invite Yoruba leaders to his office, stating that he should provide evidence to substantiate his claim. “We want evidence that he gave them money or else, we are saying it’s a lie. He’s out to blackmail dead people. When Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar became Head of State, he invited the Yoruba leaders to see him. ! What’s wrong with that? What is wrong with a Head of State inviting Yoruba leaders and they visited him? Is that a crime? When Obasanjo was President, he invited me to visit him and I visited him. If Goodluck invite me today I will visit him. Is that a crime?”

He alleged that Al-Mustapha and Abdulsalami took money out of the Central Bank. Where is the money? It is convenient to say you gave it to people who are now dead. Why didn’t he mention a single person who is alive to whom he gave the money, so that he can defend himself? Ask him that question. $240 million is a huge amount of money that old men cannot carry in their pocket. Did he send it to their bank accounts? Did he send it by trust to their homes? How did do it? Did he give out $240 million? How? Where? Through whom? He remarked that Mustapha’s statement has led to nothing and should be discarded.

Second Republic Minister for Justice, Chief Richard Akinjide described the issue as ‘demolition’ after a long hesitation. He then laughed sarcastically saying, “Only one word: demolition!” When asked of whom and by who, he said, “I don’t know of whom and by who but that’s what I want to say and I don’t want to add to that.”

Former governor of Lagos state, Alhaji Lateef Jakande stated it is a lie by a desperate person. “I don’t believe him. It’s unbelievable because no Yoruba leader would work against Abiola. I think he (Al-Mustapha) is just a desperate person who wants to get out of his predicament but it will be very wrong for somebody to tell such lies.”

Afenifere leader, Pa. Reuben Fasoranti also maintained that it was very unfair to talk ill of the dead. His words, “Why did he have to wait till now before he exploded? He’s talking ill of the dead because they have no chance to counter his allegation. I think that’s very unfair. Both of them are dead.” He noted Al-Mustapha was just doing that to get his freedom. “Adesanya was very honest and upright and I knew him very well. He used his time rightly. He didn’t love money and he wouldn’t love money to such extent that he would have to compromise his integrity….

“Government has its own plan. They know why they are keeping him up till now. They know for what purpose. So, I don’t see the reason he should be saying all this kind of things at this time. What did he want to achieve? I wouldn’t know if there is any foul play here but it sounds very cloudy and I don’t know what game they are about to play.”

Those who were easily identified in the video were, Chief Adesanya who answered reporters’ questions, Dr. Arthur Nwankwo of the then Eastern Mandate Union (EMU) and the late Chief Bola Ige. As against Al-Mustapha’ claim, neither Adesanya nor Dr. Nwankwo looked happy, while responding to questions from the journalists, Chief Adesanya however smiled at the end of the interview when he said: “Journalists can now disperse,” and everyone laughed.

Let the pandora box continue to be opened.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/al-mustapha%E2%80%99s-bribery-allegation-splits-yoruba-leaders/

(1) (Reply)

Acn Wrongly Elected (asi Ibo Di) / Breaking News: Fashola Signs Tenancy Bill / Bomb Blast In Un Building Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.