Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,607 members, 7,816,507 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque (26185 Views)

Unrelated Pictures Used Falsely To Depict Peter Obi’s Demolition Of Mosque(photo / Nasarawa Government Used Picture From Brazil To Depict Status Of Its Road / Photos Of Tinubu Praying On A Chair In A Mosque (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Eketem: 12:01pm On Aug 20, 2022
A user on Twitter, Qudus Akanbi Eleyi (@Qdpaper2) claims that Peter Obi demolished a mosque in Anambra and pursued Hausa, Fulani and other northerners from the state while he was still governor. A collection of pictures that depict what appears to be a demolished mosque and of several persons in a desolate state was used to accompany the post with the caption:

“Northerners will never forget Peter Obi for demolishing their mosque in Anambra. When he was a governor, Hausa, Fulani and Northerners can forgive Peter Obi for pursuing them out of Anambra, but I’m not sure if they can forgive him for demolishing their mosque. They will never 4give.”

Peter Obi is the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LB) for the 2023 Nigerian presidential election. Since his emergence as the party’s candidate, the former two-term governor of Anambra has garnered so much attention on social media, especially on Twitter, arousing both support and criticism from diverse users.

Anambra is a state in the southeastern part of Nigeria, a region that is largely populated by the Igbo-speaking tribe who are mainly Christians. The Fulani and Hausa tribes are mostly Muslims, and they are largely the dominant population in the northern parts of Nigeria.

A Google reverse image search of the first image, a collage of Peter Obi and the alleged demolished mosque, traced the original image of the mosque to a news report: “Cash shortage hampers rebuilding of mosques destroyed by Israel.”

The report revealed the mosque to be the Omar Ibn Abdul Aziz mosque in Beit Hanoun, northern Gaza Strip, that was destroyed during the Israel-Palestine tension that erupted on 4 January 2019
Multiple reports by different media outlets captured the incident and detailed how the bombings flattened the Omar Ibn Abdul Aziz mosque in Beit Hanoun and damaged many surrounding homes.

Boys play in the rubble of Al-Taqwa mosque in Gaza City, July 2009. Originally captured by Wissam Nassar and Maan images.
Boys play in the rubble of Al-Taqwa mosque in Gaza City, July 2009. Originally captured by Wissam Nassar and Maan images.
Apparently, the image has also been falsely used to depict an alleged banning of Islam and the destruction of mosques in Angola.

A Google reverse search of the second image traced it to a report on sanction.org, a social action website. The social action team members captured the original image when they visited the Obidianso Waterside community in Port Harcourt after the Rivers State government demolished it in 2018.

The original source of the image on the Social Action website. The location is in Port Harcourt, not in Anambra state
The original source of the image on the Social Action website. The location is in Port Harcourt, not in Anambra state
The image was not from Anambra State as alleged and has nothing to do with the northerners or the Hausa-Fulani Muslims residing in Anambra State.

The original source of the image, used as the featured picture on the Social Action website to depict the demolition of waterside communities in Port Harcourt
The original source of the image, used as the featured picture on the Social Action website to depict the demolition of waterside communities in Port Harcourt[b]

[i]The third image is traced to a news report by Vanguard when officers of Abuja Police Command arrested 98 scavengers, popularly known as ‘Baban Bola’ over stealing in Abuja. The image is neither taken in Anambra nor does it have anything to do with Hausa-Fulani Muslims living in Anambra State. This is equally false.

The original source of the alleged image as shared on the Vanguard report
The original source of the alleged image as shared on the Vanguard report

The fourth image, a collage of pictures, was traced to the website of the Muslim News Nigeria. The pictures were used to depict an alleged demolition of a mosque in Port Harcourt by Governor Nysom Wike in 2019.

A screenshot of the original source of the image on Muslim News Nigeria
A screenshot of the original source of the image on Muslim News Nigeria
Although Governor Wike has distanced himself from claims that he ordered the demolition of a mosque in Port Harcourt, he has, however, explained that some persons started erecting illegal foundations on the disputed land, even though they had no approval to embark on any construction work.

An extensive investigation by the PREMIUM TIMES also revealed that the Rivers State Government did not demolish any completed building being used as a mosque. However, an uncompleted structure, (the same one depicted in the alleged picture) which was still at the foundation stage, was demolished by the government.

Unlike Governor Wike’s popular controversy over the demolition of a mosque in Rivers State, there is no single report by any reliable media outlet that suggests Peter Obi’s demolition of a mosque in Anambra State while he was still the governor.

Conclusion
While the claim may be debatable, all the images used are pulled from different contexts to support the bogus narrative. This claim is false.
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/549609-unrelated-pictures-used-falsely-to-depict-peter-obis-demolition-of-mosque.html?fbclid=IwAR2ayltdaHDEslfvAudX_IJyX0979o1_nzqWPsvVSWtvLs5w17tOWQrWLCo

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by BATified2023: 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2022
What about these?

All these ones na lie too?

134 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by after4: 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2022
These are the real indisputable lies of tinubu

138 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by derecho(m): 12:14pm On Aug 20, 2022
Fact check get levuz abeg..Won tun ti lule

18 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by after4: 12:14pm On Aug 20, 2022
BATified2023:

I know that these are the truth but am just doing the job am paid to do

40 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Racoon(m): 12:25pm On Aug 20, 2022
Lies always have a beginning and also an end.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Pwettylinda(f): 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2022
Tinubu urchins

77 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by VeryWickedMan: 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
Religion of bomb blast still accusing others of destruction

119 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Awise09(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
Naso

2 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Kagd10: 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
wink
Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by DrChukki: 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
I can remember in 2011, Obi was featured in a Radio Nigeria program called Radio Link.

(... mind you, PO then, was the only governor that had courage to come on that program because it's open to the public to call-in)

There in the program, someone called to ask Obi if it's true that he chased Northerners away...

Obi replied him and said, do you have a Northern brother in my state?
The guy said NO.

Obi said okay...

Why I asked is, I wanted you to call your brother now and ask him if I drove him away.

Then Obi said, if you know any Northerner that has a brother in Anambra, or that's living in Anambra, please call and ask him if I drove them away.

He later told the guy, I gave the Northerners a very good place which their leaders came to thank me for it.

In conclusion he told the guy, I will appreciate if you can come down to Anambra and see for yourself.

The guy appreciated him and ended the call...

See, don't believe propaganda... If you're not sure of anything don't disseminate it.

On Obi mandate I and my family stands.

PS:
No matter who becomes the president of Nigeria, I will still make more money.

Before we tell you that OBI is better, it's for a purpose.

If you like vote BAT, na you go suffer Am no be me.

I don go abeg...

142 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by hbk001(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
nawaooo
Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by loosecanon50(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
Every attempt to ridicule PO won't be successful. God is on his side...and he is the one that will put smiles on the faces of hopeless Nigerians

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by emetisuccess(m): 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
I be like say we never tire to suffer for this con3

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by bigdammyj: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
Noted.
Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by harmargedon: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
grin
Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by igweome: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
Lie from the pit of hell

9 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by coconutbag: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2022
It's unfortunate that some humans that will vote in 2023 do not know how easy it is to find the original location/source of the fake images they share to deceive others.

I'm sorry to say that snakes may have better intelligence than some acclaimed humans with thumbs.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Soso990240(m): 2:38pm On Aug 20, 2022
Peter Obi's ADC was a Northener from Kano State, He had 5 Northerners in his cabinet as a Governor. Who ever came up with these lies will die and perish with Tinubu and Atiku their sponsors. I thought they said Social Media popularity doesnt count, why are they spreading lies against the so called 'Social Media President' on social media? We now know the real enemies of Nigeria

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Mstick: 2:38pm On Aug 20, 2022
Nigeria is currently being ran like Lagos.

11 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by iampeterben(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2022
Obi for president of Nigeria

24 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Collins0609(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2022
Propaganda

5 Likes

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by agadez007(m): 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2022
Qudus Akanbi Eleyi

The name says it all

Obi destroyed a mosque and we didn’t hear about it until 2022, grin

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Emperordynasty: 2:40pm On Aug 20, 2022
False witnesses of all Kind against the people’s choice

Peter Obi the hand of God is upon you

Let the liars keep lying

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Massiveglory: 2:40pm On Aug 20, 2022
Fake accusations on Peter obi should be the headline not this grammar up there.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Eriokanmi: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2022
Tinubu's urchinss, weldone. We expect to see more as election draws near. Unfortunately for them, this is 2022. Propaganda can't work anymore, especially when people's minds are already made up

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by Obudupikin: 2:41pm On Aug 20, 2022
The APC and its minions' stock in trade is propaganda, falsehoods, and lies. They keep looking for a stain on the incoming president but can't find one, so they are manufacturing it from thin air. But it's not going to work cool.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unrelated Pictures Used To Falsely Depict Peter Obi's Demolition Of A Mosque by MrMcJay(m): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2022
Until they begin to jail people for this nonsense, them no go hear word

26 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Replace N5,000 Monthly Stipend For Unemployed Youths —ngige / Army Appoints S.Z. Kazaure & Umaru New NYSC And Operation Lafia Dole Commanders / GEJ & PMB: Power Generation Comparison April 2015 Vs April, 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.