Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,897 members, 7,956,383 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:55 AM

Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? (9825 Views)

Native Doctor Begs Prophet Odumeje To Forgive Ada Jesus Who Is Down With Stroke / What To Do When You Find It Difficult To Forgive Someone / Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Yemi4luv: 9:52am On Aug 21, 2022
Enny2013:

Don't u hv neighbours n family members?

I have neighbours and family I don't feel happy asking them money often I'm still searching for a good job
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by AntiChristian: 9:53am On Aug 21, 2022
advocatejare:

That was a parable, read to have wisdom!

Olódò!

Read Ellicott's commentary of that verse!
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by fasho01(m): 9:53am On Aug 21, 2022
Emoc:
Forgive? Yes
Forget? No

Forgiveness doesn't mean memory loss. undecided

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Yemi4luv: 9:54am On Aug 21, 2022
tonicyril:
what about ur mum bro??

I have mom I don't feel happy asking her mom
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by advocatejare(m): 9:55am On Aug 21, 2022
AntiChristian:

Olódò!

Read Ellicott's commentary of that verse!
We don’t need commentaries to understand Bible verses. Bible is clear unlike the meaningless haphazardly written Quran that you need Tafsir written by people who were not there when Muhammad was fabricating his so called revelation, to understand the Quran!
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by syndrum(m): 9:56am On Aug 21, 2022
Forgiveness is cool but forgetting is an illusion...
The only way I can temporarily forget is if I make you like you never existed... Going far and far away from you. Creating a room whereby such situation would never repeat itself or probably will not remember you...
The same treatment I gave my uncle because if I didn't forgive I might end up doing blaad for blaad... But I forgave and I created a distance as far as possible
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by freeman4ever(m): 10:03am On Aug 21, 2022
Goodbadboy009:
Who knows her here?
is she legit?
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by tonicyril: 10:04am On Aug 21, 2022
Yemi4luv:

I have mom I don't feel happy asking her mom
And dad??
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Dumte(m): 10:09am On Aug 21, 2022
Like for Forgive, Share for Forget

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Dumte(m): 10:10am On Aug 21, 2022
Like for Forgive
Share for Forget
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Zamanizaza(m): 10:26am On Aug 21, 2022
Tboymessiah:
NasoLifeBe!!!

I'm not sure I can't forget what kemzy did to me.

Imagine!!! I rented aoz and bought a bed for her to sleep while I was squatting with a friend, sleeping on rug in another city... I know wan talk wetin later happen...

Bris continue now, I wan hear.
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Samcent: 10:28am On Aug 21, 2022
Forgive your enemies but remember their names...
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Tboymessiah(m): 10:40am On Aug 21, 2022
Zamanizaza:

Bris continue now, I wan hear.

The girl was working at Akure wit a guy, while I stay in Lagos, I never knew every night she do sleep at the guy aoz over night then comes back next day morning..

So I came to visit her and she thought I have went back , I slept over she didn't come home so I knew she was dating the guy,

just because sey I never get better work then I just serve finished managing...

we fought she latter stick with the guy na barber, immediately she left, my uncle gave me half a million to start a business na so Eledumare help me,

it just like na she dey block my blessings as she left me for the guy wey open seriously....

She don born for the guy now and she wasn't doing well cus I get person wey dey give me update about her. She no even get browsing phone sef...
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by SeriouslySense(m): 10:43am On Aug 21, 2022
It better to look at the source directly. So we are reminded the importance of forgiving and forgetting, i do not mean instant memory loss, but the importance of not holding it against a person, when you do not hold it against a person, you will open the door for growth.

You can practice not focusing on what the person has done after forgiveness, reaffirm faith in the process, it will also produce growth in oneself, something we need, that growth makes us like the One is made us.

Forgiving and not reminding yourself of what wrong, not only make you grow in faith, it also humbles the person who wronged you and they may change genuinely.

Quote from Ephesians 4:32
“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Matthew 6:14
“For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.”

Colossians 3:13
“Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

Luke 6:37
“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.”

Matthew 18:21-22
"Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?' Jesus answered, 'I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.' "

Psalm 86:5
“You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you.”

Mark 11:25
“And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

Psalm 32:1
“Blessed is the one whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.”

Matthew 6:15
“But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

1 John 1:9
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Hebrews 8:12
“For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

Proverbs 17:9
“Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.”

Proverbs 10:12
“Hatred stirs old quarrels, but love overlooks insults.”

Psalm 103:12
"As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

Daniel 9:9
"The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him."

Isaiah 43:25
“I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more ..."

Hebrews 10:17
“Then he adds: Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.”

Psalm 130:3-4
“If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared.”

Ephesians 1:7-8
“In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence.”

Colossians 1:13-14
“He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.”

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by BigDawsNet: 10:59am On Aug 21, 2022
Forgive and forget... instructed by God

But our brains can never forget because you can't control your Hippocampus part of your brain that hold memory...

So God just wants us to forget in way like... when we see that person or think about it ... we can just wave it away and pretend it dint happen

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Smith414: 11:05am On Aug 21, 2022
Yemi4luv:

I have neighbours and family I don't feel happy asking them money often I'm still searching for a good job
so you thinking asking people you don’t know will help matters, Oga go assist bricklayer find wetin to eat,,

And you even get phone and data, sell the phone go chop first
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by SeriouslySense(m): 11:05am On Aug 21, 2022
Even if our brains record things, it can also learn to gradually forget or not dwell on it, so the time we would have used dwelling on it, could be used to focus on the good aspect of it.

If we can see, the goodness of God in everything, then that goodness may grow or multiply.

We belong in heaven, as the new persons or the new Creation, we are eventually translated into that coming kingdom through Jesus Christ, the Way.

Colossians 1:13-14
“He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.”

BigDawsNet:
Forgive and forget... instructed by God

But our brains can never forget because you can't control your Hippocampus part of your brain that hold memory...

So God just wants us to forget in way like... when we see that person or think about it ... we can just wave it away and pretend it dint happen

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by sageb: 11:09am On Aug 21, 2022
PstBiola:
The phrase “forgive and forget” is not found in the Bible. However, there are numerous verses commanding us to “forgive one another” (e.g., Matthew 6:14 and Ephesians 4:32). A Christian who is not willing to forgive others will find his fellowship with God hindered (Matthew 6:15) and can reap bitterness and the loss of reward (Hebrews 12:14–15; 2 John 1:cool.

Forgiveness is a decision of the will. Since God commands us to forgive, we must make a conscious choice to obey God and forgive. The offender may not desire forgiveness and may not ever change, but that doesn’t negate God’s desire that we possess a forgiving spirit (Matthew 5:44). Ideally, the offender will seek reconciliation, but, if not, the one wronged can still make a decision to forgive.

Of course, it is impossible to truly forget sins that have been committed against us. We cannot selectively “delete” events from our memory. The Bible states that God does not “remember” our wickedness (Hebrews 8:12). But God is still all-knowing. God remembers that we have “sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). But, having been forgiven, we are positionally (or judicially) justified. Heaven is ours, as if our sin had never occurred. If we belong to Him through faith in Christ, God does not condemn us for our sins (Romans 8:1). In that sense God “forgives and forgets.”

If by “forgive and forget” one means, “I choose to forgive the offender for the sake of Christ and move on with my life,” then this is a wise and godly course of action. As much as possible, we should forget what is behind and strive toward what is ahead (Philippians 3:13). We should forgive each other “just as in Christ God forgave” (Ephesians 4:32). We must not allow a root of bitterness to spring up in our hearts (Hebrews 12:15).

However, if by “forgive and forget” one means, “I will act as if the sin had never occurred and live as if I don’t remember it,” then we can run into trouble. For example, a rape victim can choose to forgive the rapist, but that does not mean she should act as if that sin had never happened. To spend time alone with the rapist, especially if he is unrepentant, is not what Scripture teaches. Forgiveness involves not holding a sin against a person any longer, but forgiveness is different from trust. It is wise to take precautions, and sometimes the dynamics of a relationship will have to change. “The prudent see danger and take refuge, / but the simple keep going and pay the penalty” (Proverbs 22:3). Jesus told His followers to “be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves” (Matthew 10:16). In the context of keeping company with unrepentant sinners, we must be “innocent” (willing to forgive) yet at the same time “shrewd” (being cautious).

The ideal is for the offender to truly repent of the sin and for the offended to forgive and forget. The Bible tells us true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8–14; Acts 3:19) and that love keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:5) and covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:cool. However, changing hearts is God’s business, and, until an offender has a true, supernatural heart change, it is only wise to limit the level of trust one places in that person. Being cautious doesn’t mean we haven’t forgiven. It simply means we are not God and we cannot see that person’s heart.

Quite revealing
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by jeromestarks: 11:11am On Aug 21, 2022
Emoc:
Forgive? Yes
Forget? No

Lol.
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 11:18am On Aug 21, 2022
chaddy16:
When you forgive truly, you have forgotten. That's Christ like.

Yes
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Oturatetuala(m): 11:31am On Aug 21, 2022
Forgiveness is a sin even God still punish people after asking for forgiveness.

Happy Sunday!!!
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by greattybee(m): 11:33am On Aug 21, 2022
Forgive—> YES✅

Forget—> BULLSHIT

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by Jacksoncoke(m): 11:38am On Aug 21, 2022
One can forgive but can't forget. Your inability to forget doesn't mean you have forgiven the offender
Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by FarmTech(m): 11:46am On Aug 21, 2022
OSUigboFlatHead:
In my opinion, people should not always forgive.
People always fuckîng know what they're doing. WHEN YOU'RE HURTING SOMEONE, YOU KNOW DEEPLY IN YOUR HEART THAT YOU'RE HURTING THE PERSON, AND YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS...

Not all offenses or sins should be forgiven.
Sins like:

- CHEATING
- STEALING
- KILLING
Should not be forgiven.
EVEN GOD DOESN'T FORGIVE ALL SINS. HE IS ALSO A VERY JEALOUS GOD. WE ARE ALL STILL PAYING FOR THE SINS OF ADAM AND EVE TILL DATE.

When people are made to take responsibilities for their actions, they'll truly repent and we would live in a better world.
Crime is only on the increase in this world because people are getting away with a lot...
Here is an additional thing you have to know. Forgiveness does not mean absence of consequences. The prodigal son was forgiven but he no longer have inheritance. He would have to work hard for another inheritance. So people shud be made to bear responsibility for their actions e.g. thieves, murderers, rapists, LGTQ idiots and the rest.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Bible Instruct Us To Forgive And Forget? by T0BY(m): 11:51am On Aug 21, 2022
You're wise
Emoc:
Forgive? Yes
Forget? No

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / Six Importants Reasons You Should Seek The God OF Wisdom / What's Your Favorite Bible Verse(s) ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.