Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,620 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut (26836 Views)

ASUU Strike: FG Commences Payment Of Minimum Wage To Lecturers / ASUU Strike: FG Resumes Negotiation Today / ASUU Strike: FG Withdraws `No Work No Pay’ Threat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by CheapHomes1: 2:31am On Aug 22, 2022
hedonido:
Nonsense. Nigerian public university lecturers are overrated. I know this because I know this. Bunch of redundant, smug, unnecessarily arrogant idiots. I hate Buhari more than anyone else but you see this ASUU, they are absolute smelly fecal matter.

The way ASUU has held the country to ransom over the years is just a sad comedy. They overrate their importance and think that because one corrupt, depraved animal is a 'Dr' or Professor of shit, then he deserves to earn more than an oil industry executive. We're talking about someone whose actual academic/intellectual/innovative output is almost zero. There's nothing they can teach you now that you wouldn't easily find on Google or YouTube. There's nothing that comes out of their useless 'research'. Give one of them a N1b grant to do research in their field, and watch how they would spend it on the usual Naija levels... Acquiring property, cars, investing in private business, and then forming made man.

The country is just a joke. ASUU my foot.

Tnx for this. ASUU is the buhari equivalent in the educational sector. They are made for each other
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by CheapHomes1: 2:34am On Aug 22, 2022
emmyrate1:
you are saying nonsense, is only in Africa or Nigeria to be precise they pay lecturers penny.

What he is saying is that the lecturers aren't worth pay increase and he gave his reasons to justify his position. Since you feel he said nonesense, pls provide facts to support your position
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by CheapHomes1: 2:35am On Aug 22, 2022
InvertedHammer:

/

But when the children of these politicians graduate from foreign universities, the useless students sitting at home will rush to social media to lavish them with "Congratulations!" grin grin grin

So who is to blame? The oppressors or the ones that voluntarily worship and adore the oppressors?
/

Oh booy.. grin grin even the lecturers will accept INEC electoral officer where they help to manipulate figures

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by fapcrook(m): 2:48am On Aug 22, 2022
Many couples are lecturers, na dem I pity most,,, husband lecturer, wife lecturer, even their children lecturers

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Aboojaabir: 6:11am On Aug 22, 2022
Privatization of the Universities is the way forward
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Secondly: 6:31am On Aug 22, 2022
hedonido:
Nonsense. Nigerian public university lecturers are overrated. I know this because I know this. Bunch of redundant, smug, unnecessarily arrogant idiots. I hate Buhari more than anyone else but you see this ASUU, they are absolute smelly fecal matter.

The way ASUU has held the country to ransom over the years is just a sad comedy. They overrate their importance and think that because one corrupt, depraved animal is a 'Dr' or Professor of shit, then he deserves to earn more than an oil industry executive. We're talking about someone whose actual academic/intellectual/innovative output is almost zero. There's nothing they can teach you now that you wouldn't easily find on Google or YouTube. There's nothing that comes out of their useless 'research'. Give one of them a N1b grant to do research in their field, and watch how they would spend it on the usual Naija levels... Acquiring property, cars, investing in private business, and then forming made man.

Thank you for saying this.

ASUU is highly overrated.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Amoo89: 6:39am On Aug 22, 2022
dre11:
Senior profs to earn N9m yearly, junior lecturers get N90,000 monthly

https://punchng.com/ASUU-strike-fgs-proposal-may-lead-to-lecturers-pay-cut/?amp
I don’t believe majority understand what is happening now. We should stop blaming wrong people all the time based on what I have read I don’t blame the government now but ASUU claiming even after adjustment in condition they won’t still return to the class because govt refused to pay them for the days they have been on strike. Let me ask them how possible is it to meet up with time they have lost. What is their sacrifice Abi it is all because of their own benefits. Let’s all be realistic before we shift blames.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by GUNITGuy: 6:51am On Aug 22, 2022
hedonido:

Nigerian public institution is not just what people think it is ....
How many Doctors do we train per federal university
Less than 80 .....70 of them are preparing to go abroad the remaining ten are man no man basis ......
We live in denial in this part of the world hoping prayers would change things without acknowledging our Sins .......
We graduate engineers that would still be retrained in the industry as if they were never schooled .....The cost of education is not cheap but we get one of the cheapest educational system in the world but it's not reflected in Human Capital Development...
What's the cause to this??
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2022
Chai, see insult, better to draft secondary school teachers to universities angry.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by onyxo76(m): 8:52am On Aug 22, 2022
rusher14:
Why can't the lecturers resign and migrate to the various private universities in Nigeria?
they are already doing that...soon most courses in public universities will start losing accreditation.
and that is exactly what FG wants...kill the public schools.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by rusher14: 9:07am On Aug 22, 2022
onyxo76:

they are already doing that...soon most courses in public universities will start losing accreditation.
and that is exactly what FG wants...kill the public schools.

Nothing wrong with that.

Let's provide scholarships to those who really require it.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Secondly: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2022
alabo1:

You are very silly. You don't know what it means to get a PHD that's why. Your language is rude and unbecoming. I don't know the institution you attended but trust me we have some of the best minds in Academia in Africa despite our limitations. Go, your sins are forgiven

What does it mean to get a PhD?

With all the PhDs you have acquired, how many worthy inventions have come out of it?

People will just be feeling like they are God because they went to acquire more paper certificates after wasting their time ''studying''.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Secondly: 9:19am On Aug 22, 2022
Amoo89:

I don’t believe majority understand what is happening now. We should stop blaming wrong people all the time based on what I have read I don’t blame the government now but ASUU claiming even after adjustment in condition they won’t still return to the class because govt refused to pay them for the days they have been on strike. Let me ask them how possible is it to meet up with time they have lost. What is their sacrifice Abi it is all because of their own benefits. Let’s all be realistic before we shift blames.

Don't mind the greedy and useless ASUU.

They want their ''bad behavior'' to be rewarded all the time.

Any small thing, strike... why?

Because they know they will still be paid at the end of the day even if they strike lasts for 100 years!

The Federal Government wants to put an end to that nonsense.

They are complaining about their six months salary but what about the students they have wasted their 6 months?

Will they go back in time to return those wasted 6 months to those students if the FG goes back in time to pay them for the work they did not do?

ASUU own don too much abeg. angry

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Secondly: 9:23am On Aug 22, 2022
CyberHustle:
we don't have best minds. Your rants won't change that. A lecturer who comes to class and openly talks about A is for God is a useless one. That's what most of them are. Useless lecturers with unreadable handouts that has been photocopied for over a decade. No new innovations in passing across ideas. Most of them cannot use graphics software that will help introduce new illustrations to convey ideas and take so much delight in failing students than imparting knowledge.

I dey tell you.

So many outdated lecturers in the system still thinking they are gods.

The world is talking about innovations meanwhile they are still talking about giving A or F.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Insectkiller: 9:45am On Aug 22, 2022
He said, “If we agree on that, therefore, the lectures we should have given to students for 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 sessions should be allowed to go, so we start a new session for 2022/2023 in September.

“Therefore, by July next year, I will go on my leave as we used to have in those days so that the backlog is gone. All the lectures that remain, all the two sets of admissions that JAMB has given that are waiting should become irrelevant.

ASUU dey yearn opata..

Nonsense! Wetin Dem dey teach..
Rubbish!

Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Gastrocnemius: 2:13pm On Aug 22, 2022
Olaolex:
There was strike during covid which lasted 9 month

Do you think the strike would have lasted for 3 months if not for COVID-19
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by fatboyslym007: 7:33pm On Aug 22, 2022
Owopariola001:

They should quit and look for other jobs that pay better, or establish businesses like they always preach to the youths.

With all due respect. It is mindset like this that destroys a society.
U think everyone can own a business?
If everyone in a society becomes an entrepreneur, what happens to that society?
Unknown or known every worker in the Nigerian labor force deserves better conditions n better payment. Lecturers have a Union to fight other unions should also fight for better working conditions.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Owopariola001: 8:12pm On Aug 22, 2022
fatboyslym007:

With all due respect. It is mindset like this that destroys a society.
U think everyone can own a business?
If everyone in a society becomes an entrepreneur, what happens to that society?
Unknown or known every worker in the Nigerian labor force deserves better conditions n better payment. Lecturers have a Union to fight other unions should also fight for better working conditions.

Which better working conditions?
How many government workers earn more than ASUU aside from a few special Ministries? And these few Ministries don't have much staff.

If they are comparing their salaries with what Politicians earn, why can't they contest and go for the same position?

In the alternative, if it's the private sector they are comparing themselves with, they can resign and look for a job in the private sector. Nobody is stopping them.

Also, there are abroad options, many have chosen that route. What is stopping them from going?

To be honest, ASUU demands are too much, including being paid for 6 months they're at home.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by alabo1: 9:23pm On Aug 22, 2022
Secondly:

What does it mean to get a PhD?

With all the PhDs you have acquired, how many worthy inventions have come out of it?

People will just be feeling like they are God because they went to acquire more paper certificates after wasting their time ''studying''.

Go and get yours first before you belittle it. What grade did you make in school. Academia is not for everyone please. Even in your venerated societies a PHD is respected.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by alabo1: 9:25pm On Aug 22, 2022
hedonido:

Shut up and get out, you fool. I know you more than you know yourself.

Frustrated person. I won't bring myself down to your level. As my people say don't argue/fight with a madman because from a distance non can tell the difference. You can't even tolerate a different opinion from yours without resulting to insults. Grow up kid
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by alabo1: 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2022
CyberHustle:
we don't have best minds. Your rants won't change that. A lecturer who comes to class and openly talks about A is for God is a useless one. That's what most of them are. Useless lecturers with unreadable handouts that has been photocopied for over a decade. No new innovations in passing across ideas. Most of them cannot use graphics software that will help introduce new illustrations to convey ideas and take so much delight in failing students than imparting knowledge.

Are all lecturers like that. I made all A's in my 3rd and 4tth year. I even made an A in a course where the lecturer was nefarious. Look know your onions and no lecturer can victimize you. I rest

Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by Secondly: 11:31pm On Aug 22, 2022
alabo1:
Go and get yours first before you belittle it. What grade did you make in school. Academia is not for everyone please. Even in your venerated societies a PHD is respected.

Hahaha.

We are talking of making giant strides in Artificial Intelligence and one useless ASUU man is talking about getting a PhD.

Nigga, fuck_ your PhD.

With all the PhDs you've acquired, you are still begging Buhari to add money for you.

What a shame!
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by fatboyslym007: 4:35am On Aug 23, 2022
Owopariola001:

How many government workers earn more than ASUU aside from a few special Ministries? And these few Ministries don't have much staff.

If they are comparing their salaries with what Politicians earn, why can't they contest and go for the same position?

In the alternative, if it's the private sector they are comparing themselves with, they can resign and look for a job in the private sector. Nobody is stopping them.

Also, there are abroad options, many have chosen that route. What is stopping them from going?

To be honest, ASUU demands are too much, including being paid for 6 months they're at home.

I honestly can't comprehend your stands. Are you in Nigeria? You are entitled to your opinions actually and I respect that...

You react because of the immediate impact on the students, I understand. But you fail to realize, ASUU is not only fighting for their salary. Maybe the FG should hands off schools and make them autonomous. Let every school employ and pay according to their books...

Then we can end ASUU strikes and resume protests for increased fees. Because either way the FG or the ancient of days generation would find a way to mess it up...
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by fatboyslym007: 4:37am On Aug 23, 2022
Owopariola001:

I honestly can't comprehend your stands. Are you in Nigeria? You are entitled to your opinions actually and I respect that...

You react because of the immediate impact on the students, I understand. But you fail to realize, ASUU is not only fighting for their salaries. Maybe the FG should hands off schools and make them autonomous. Let every school employ and pay according to their books...

Then we can end ASUU strikes and resume protests for increased fees. Because either way the FG or the ancient of days generation would find a way to mess things up...
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by alabo1: 7:01am On Aug 23, 2022
Secondly:

Hahaha.

We are talking of making giant strides in Artificial Intelligence and one useless ASUU man is talking about getting a PhD.

Nigga, fuck_ your PhD.

With all the PhDs you've acquired, you are still begging Buhari to add money for you.

What a shame!

Go and update yourself please. Despite poor funding we are one of the leaders in Technology and Science research in Africa as well as actual tech breakthroughs. In social science research we are no.1. do you know the amount of funding havard and co. Get from their govt to get the results they achieve?don't blame the lecturer blame the system
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by JJuanMiguel: 7:11am On Aug 23, 2022
alabo1:

Go and update yourself please. Despite poor funding we are one of the leaders in Technology and Science research in Africa as well as actual tech breakthroughs. In social science research we are no.1. do you know the amount of funding havard and co. Get from their govt to get the results they achieve?don't blame the lecturer blame the system
Stop this unnecessary comparison, Nigeria is a third world indebted country. You can't expect to have same resources and renumeration with Havard and other ivy league schools.
That's why today if you resign and apply for a job in Oxford or Princeton nobody will stop or arrest you.
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by alabo1: 7:58am On Aug 23, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

Stop this unnecessary comparison, Nigeria is a third world indebted country. You can't expect to have same resources and renumeration with Havard and other ivy league schools.
That's why today if you resign and apply for a job in Oxford or Princeton nobody will stop or arrest you.

You are still missing the point. What I am saying is the system is the problem not lack of brains. I hope you realise India is also a 3rd world country? Yet compare the % of funding to the education sector between India and nigeria and revert. Peace
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by JJuanMiguel: 8:12am On Aug 23, 2022
alabo1:

You are still missing the point. What I am saying is the system is the problem not lack of brains. I hope you realise India is also a 3rd world country? Yet compare the % of funding to the education sector between India and nigeria and revert. Peace
Ok, obviously education is underfunded.
But what do you think is the solution?
Incessant strikes or a collective effort in getting good leaders?
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by alabo1: 8:57am On Aug 23, 2022
JJuanMiguel:

Ok, obviously education is underfunded.
But what do you think is the solution?
Incessant strikes or a collective effort in getting good leaders?

I had mentioned it before that the system is the problem. The systemic issues we have stem from leadership obviously. While I do not support ASUU's incessant strikes what other recourse do the have to get redress? The fact is that our educational system is also flawed in so many ways. There is no country where the government is expected to fund tertiary education to a large degree with the kind of fees we charge as well as the kind of Tax system we run. In other climes where they have a working syastem, certain certain taxes are reserved to fund the education sector. That is the only reason why you can have free education to tertiary level in most scandinavian countries. However the Personal Income Tax alone there is between 40-60%. Unfortunately beccause we have a dysfunctional system here no one will be willing to contribute that here.

On a curious note, what are your suggestions on collective efforts towards getting good leadership. Peace
Re: ASUU Strike: FG’S Proposal May Lead To Lecturers’ Pay Cut by JJuanMiguel: 9:10am On Aug 23, 2022
alabo1:

I had mentioned it before that the system is the problem. The systemic issues we have stem from leadership obviously. While I do not support ASUU's incessant strikes what other recourse do the have to get redress? The fact is that our educational system is also flawed in so many ways. There is no country where the government is expected to fund tertiary education to a large degree with the kind of fees we charge as well as the kind of Tax system we run. In other climes where they have a working syastem, certain certain taxes are reserved to fund the education sector. That is the only reason why you can have free education to tertiary level in most scandinavian countries. However the Personal Income Tax alone there is between 40-60%. Unfortunately beccause we have a dysfunctional system here no one will be willing to contribute that here.

On a curious note, what are your suggestions on collective efforts towards getting good leadership. Peace
Strike is not working.
It doesn't make sense to be on strike for more than 6 months and the government is not listening to you, yet you still want to carry on with the same thing.
ASUU are even punishing themselves with it too, their only succor before was the belief that they will get paid the outstanding salaries anytime they come back, but the government are saying it won't be like that this time around now.
I can guarantee you that if ASUU go ahead to declare an indefinite strike, which is not sensible since they've been on strike for more than 6 months before, FG will stop calling for any meeting. More students will give up and move to other things. While ASUU, especially that Emmanuel guy will keep lamenting every morning as usual on arise TV.

This thing is clear, you are dealing with Adamu and Buhari who don't care if the schools are permanently shut for 20 years yet ASUU is expecting a miracle.
They said Ngige is bad and shouldn't be involved in the negotiations, now they are complaining even more about Adamu.

Well, everyone is watching ASUU for the last time, before the narrative is changed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Momodu Sanusi Jimah Is Dead: Auchi Polytechnic Rector Dies / Ejikeme Mmesoma’s Result Is Fake! Nothing To Investigate- Olabisi Deji-Folutile / Is This The Highest Score So Far At The Ongoing Jamb?… Checkout This Jamb Score

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.