Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves (33189 Views)

CBN Sells Over $300m To Banks As Naira Gains / Oil Companies Resume Dollar Sales To Banks As CBN Eyes Supply / CBN Recovers N60bn From Banks As Illegal Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Racoon(m): 10:35am On Aug 23, 2022
Reinaldo:
APC should not even be contesting the next Presidential elections. But since they insist on contesting, Nigerians will deliver defeat to them on a platter.
Simple!
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by ocelot2006(m): 10:36am On Aug 23, 2022
Sai Baba. Nigerians, 2023 is coming o. Let's get it right.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Opmic: 10:36am On Aug 23, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Is it really brain drain? undecided
It is more of a sweeping purge of fraudulent IT staffers after persistent complaints of Nigerians and NDIC frustration that banks are too scared to report these fraudulent staff to regulators.

Most of them committed the fraud and japa but they are deceiving themselves; they will still be caught eventually. Karma does not rest wink

The brighter side is that our bank I.T related frauds may now go down. Just few days ago, I read an official that Access Bank just brought in an I.T guru as their Executive Director for that segment to keep most of these fraudulent ex-staff away from deposits of innocent Nigerians. Banks are now very conservative in that area and extra careful before hiring IT guys. They may soon be outsourcing it like cash in transit service that comes with insurance or go for foreigners head hunted by reputable global HR coys.
If you are a Nigerian who is upright, smart and patriotic well known in the industry as smart, honest and faithfully competent, right now, even if they fire you one day, they will come back and beg you to come back; your kind are scarce now and in high demand!

Below is a report by BusinessDay:

According to the NIBSS, fraud-related transactions reportedly cost Nigerian banks on average N14 billion in losses annually. These figures, some within the banking sector, believe are understated.

The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) in 2018 sought to investigate some banks for the inadequate rendition of returns to the Corporation on instances of fraud, forgeries, and cases involving members of their staff who were either dismissed or had their appointments terminated on grounds of fraudulent activities. The NDIC made the decision in the light of the report from its Off-Site Supervision of the banks, which revealed the number of fraud cases attributed to internal abuse by staff of banks increased from 231 in 2016, to 320 in 2017, or 38.53 percent above the figure reported for the previous year.

Today, e-banking frauds have developed into a mega industry where cyber criminals deploy sophisticated tools to steal information and scam account holders. The list of bank frauds perpetrated online is endless.

https://businessday.ng/exclusives/article/inside-story-of-electronic-bank-fraud-in-nigeria/
So to cut the long story short, we should still vote APC abi?

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by EdoBoy90(m): 10:41am On Aug 23, 2022
Saudi Arabia is looking for Engineers seriously,taking the advantage of war in Ukraine to industrialize the country with crude oil money. Currently, this I where I submit my applications while I also focus on my UK school for graduate program. I have stopped applying to Nigerian jobs.

I know many who have left or planning to leave soon, and I am among them. My scholarship group makes me to have daily interaction with many. Three just left Nigeria: one to Canada through PR and he got a job of $40000 per month; second one to the US via MSc route and the other to the UK, a medical doctor. One is just waiting for Visa to the SouthEastern University in the US. Three of my friends are leaving to the UK this September. Two are going to Aberdeen on self-funding and the other one secured a job in the UK as an Engineer but following his wife to Hull on dependent visa. He got his MSc in the UK years ago.

The list is just endless.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by pocohantas(f): 10:42am On Aug 23, 2022
AfahaAbia:
That's very true. I'm a full stack developer for a bank here in Lagos and I just resigned. Got a job offer to move to Belgium. It's very unfortunate that alot of young folks who should take over from us prefer Yahoo than learning tech!!!

True talk.

That said, there are upcoming devs willing to replace you guys. If banks do a GT recruitment today, thousands go apply. The problem is, youths see banking as a means to an end now. They are just there to save up money for their japa plans. So everyone is leaving Nigeria - tech or not.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Princedapace(m): 10:42am On Aug 23, 2022
Unzerious:

How you think Obi can solve all Problems is baffling undecided

I hope he solves your Village People Problem too.

Atleast let try him. We have tried northern leaders, south west and south south, they have all failed. This is the country they gave us after 60 years of independence. It is reasonable to try south east then.

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by KushLyon(m): 10:43am On Aug 23, 2022
Na zenith bank dey feel this drain pass any other bank, their app quality and service is becoming worse everyday

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by thatigboman1: 10:43am On Aug 23, 2022
anonimi:

Fraudulent failure Peter Obi who stole and stashed Anambra money like Abacha?
Or you have some other person on mind

and efcc has not arrested him?
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by pocohantas(f): 10:44am On Aug 23, 2022
Acidosis:

All their shakara will now end after demanding 1st-class honors and 2-1 for a monotonous and repetitious teller job.

The good thing is that skillful 2-2 certificate holders who are above the age of 30 will explore the banking sector in the coming years.

One Nigerian bank has gone from minimum of 26yrs to 28yrs. It is a win win situation.

5 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 23, 2022
Shey if they have fixed power especially the Transmission that Government is holding on to like birth right , despite knowing fully well that with a Mikano or Solar Panel, light can be provided in the most remote place. My question is why is the F.G holding on to the Power Sector and refusing to do the right thing . You keep spending money on fuel subsidy so what is the incentive to use the rails or other form of public transport you are pumping money into in the name of infrastructure....You can see how Russia is dealing with Europe because of Gas that tell you that Power is a very important decimal in skyrocketing any Economy...but I know you are frustrating the Young people deliberately because in your head brain drain means brain gain in terms of repatriation at the expense of your local industries who can be a pivot in launching you as a strong economy globally ... Continue shebi I will keep telling you we are all at the tipping point ...and there is no where to run to....

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Blackdisciple(m): 10:45am On Aug 23, 2022
Lolz under dead on arrival ( APC ), Buhari regime expect nothing good other .

See his military regime as the head of state
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Jeezuzpick(m): 10:50am On Aug 23, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
It is more of a sweeping purge of fraudulent IT staffers after persistent complaints of Nigerians and NDIC frustration that banks are too scared to report these fraudulent staff to regulators.

Most of them committed the fraud and japa but they are deceiving themselves; they will still be caught eventually. Karma does not rest wink

The brighter side is that our bank I.T related frauds may now go down. Just few days ago, I read an official notice that Access Bank just brought in an I.T guru as their Executive Director for that segment to keep most of these fraudulent ex-staff away from deposits of innocent Nigerians.

Nigerian Banks are now very conservative in that area and extra careful before hiring IT guys. They may soon be outsourcing it like cash in transit service that comes with insurance or go for foreigners head hunted by reputable global HR coys.

If you are a Nigerian who is upright, smart and patriotic, well known in the industry as smart, honest and faithfully competent, right now, even if they fire you one day, they will come back and beg you to come back; your kind are scarce now and in high demand!

According to the NIBSS, fraud-related transactions reportedly cost Nigerian banks on average N14 billion in losses annually. These figures, some within the banking sector, believe are understated.

The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) in 2018 sought to investigate some banks for the inadequate rendition of returns to the Corporation on instances of fraud, forgeries, and cases involving members of their staff who were either dismissed or had their appointments terminated on grounds of fraudulent activities. The NDIC made the decision in the light of the report from its Off-Site Supervision of the banks, which revealed the number of fraud cases attributed to internal abuse by staff of banks increased from 231 in 2016, to 320 in 2017, or 38.53 percent above the figure reported for the previous year.

Today, e-banking frauds have developed into a mega industry where cyber criminals deploy sophisticated tools to steal information and scam account holders. The list of bank frauds perpetrated online is endless.

https://businessday.ng/exclusives/article/inside-story-of-electronic-bank-fraud-in-nigeria/

You are doing well.

The first person an accomplished liar needs to convince is himself.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Davinity: 10:50am On Aug 23, 2022
Unzerious:

Has BoBo Chicago solved all of Lagos' problem? Even with all his money
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by geewean(m): 10:51am On Aug 23, 2022
My Opinion: Below is a Link showing that 534 million pounds were fraudulently stolen from bank customers in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/sep/22/fraud-in-uk-at-level-poses-national-security-threat-bank-customers-covid

The illusion you have embraced is thinking e bank fraud is only perculiar to the Nigerian banking ecosystem alone.Its a universal phenomenon.This is not from another African country but from" Mighty" UK.

Why hasn't there been mass exodus of brains from UK the heaven ? After much study,there hasn't been the surge in sudden disappearance of staff to America.

The reality you have refused to accept is that the bitting economic conditions occasioned by the gross incompetence of that dullard in Aso rock is the premise behind this.This brain drain isn't limited to the banking space.Health care workers are leaving in geometric progression.Ohhhhh according to your watery hypothesis,they also are into e medical fraud too.

How can you survive in a country where the exchange rate has so depreciated over a 100 percent under ur watch? Excess crude account has depleted massively, insecurity is becoming ba norm,the power grid has collapses recurrently this year.

If you understand what fundamentals are in situation analysis you won't come up with your unintelligent position on the issue.

They are leaving for a better working environment where they won't suffer in traffic because the road networks are good.

"No matter how you try to defend the incompetence of this government,you must sound stupid and foolish in juxtapositical dimension"

FreeStuffsNG:

The brighter side is that our bank I.T related frauds may now go down. Just few days ago, I read an official that Access Bank just brought in an I.T guru as their Executive Director for that segment to keep most of these fraudulent ex-staff away from deposits of innocent Nigerians. Banks are now very conservative in that area and extra careful before hiring IT guys. They may soon be outsourcing it like cash in transit service that comes with insurance or go for foreigners head hunted by reputable global HR coys.
If you are a Nigerian who is upright, smart and patriotic well known in the industry as smart, honest and faithfully competent, right now, even if they fire you one day, they will come back and beg you to come back; your kind are scarce now and in high demand!

3 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Dvino1: 10:52am On Aug 23, 2022
The wickedness, greediness,hatred and jealousy in Nigeria is too much and it will turn back and hurt them back. I graduated from University years ago with a very young and eager mind to get a job after reading agric economics, the only major interview an uncle assisted me to get with UBA bank, I went there , I saw different manipulations, I was not even given chance cos they have their own candidates. Also maybe we no know book, I go federal University of Calabar, graduated with 2:2( second class lower), a senior friend of mine was working with Fidelity Bank head quarter in Lagos, I told him to help me, he said their bank don't recruit 2:2, I applied for access bank graduate recruit online, immediately my application was rejected as not qualify, I don't even understand on wat base, they furstrated my urge to look for job, this wickedness will hurt them , they put high standards that only favours them, or the rich, they prefer ajebutter graduates from private universities.... long my desire to apply for their jobs have quench. I will rather learn new skills and develop myself and find way japa too, cos this country doesn't appreciate young pple except maybe their few rich, they try to furstrate u, but when one door closes another window opens ���
ijustdey:

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/brain-drain-hits-nigerian-banks-as-tech-experts-others-resign-in-droves/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by RepoMan007: 10:55am On Aug 23, 2022
This is just the beginning of a trend that will wake a lot of people up.
Mechanics too will soon start learning CAD and running out leaving the industry with backbenchers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by RepoMan007: 10:59am On Aug 23, 2022
Dvino1:
The wickedness, greediness,hatred and jealousy in Nigeria is too much and it will turn back and hurt them back. I graduated from University years ago with a very young and eager mind to get a job after reading agric economics, the only major interview an uncle assist me to get, went there , I saw different manipulations, I was not even given chance cos they have their own candidate, maybe we no know book, I go federal University of Calabar, graduate with 2:2( second class lower), a senior friend of mine was working with fidelity head quarter in Lagos, I told him to help me, he said their bank don't recruit 2:2, I applied for access bank graduate recruit online, immediately my application was rejected as not qualify, I don't even understand on wat base, they furstrated my urge to look for job, this wickedness will hurt them , they put high standards that only favours them, or the rich, they prefer ajebutter graduates from private universities.... long my desire to apply for their jobs have quench. I will rather learn new skills and develop myself and find way japa too, cos this country doesn't appreciate young pple except maybe their few rich, they try to furstrate u, but when one door closes another window opens ���
Your useless pain will only consume you. Which one be "ajebutter graduates from private university"?

1 Like

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by KushLyon(m): 11:00am On Aug 23, 2022
Faber:

Their replacements dey. Others needs to be employed too.

Brain drain cannot happen in a nation with 250million people. If it's Namibia or Seychelles with 2k people then it's possible

Where you wan for see their replacement? If they want to replace those tech experts that resigned, they will need to employ more tech experts but most people who are gurus in tech don't want to work for local companies, they will always prefer foreign companies. The replacement those banks will get are people who aren't good in tech or average, and they might end up ruining the works of the experts that resigned. Even if banks manage to hire tech experts now, those ones go still resign after a few months and japa abroad. Most people accept bank jobs because they want to gather experience that will make their japa goal easier

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Dvino1: 11:08am On Aug 23, 2022
Am already better as I don pass that level but I can see ur hatred is already killing u, as I can see u are one of those ajebutters as e dey pain u, give equal chances to pple as u are so dumb to understand the message
RepoMan007:
Your useless pain will only consume you. Which one be "ajebutter graduates from private university"?
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by KushLyon(m): 11:09am On Aug 23, 2022
geewean:

My Opinion: Below is a Link showing that 534 million pounds were fraudulently stolen from bank customers in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/sep/22/fraud-in-uk-at-level-poses-national-security-threat-bank-customers-covid

The illusion you have embraced is thinking e bank fraud is only perculiar to the Nigerian banking ecosystem alone.Its a universal phenomenon.This is not from another African country but from" Mighty" UK.

Why hasn't there been mass exodus of brains from UK the heaven ? After much study,there hasn't been the surge in sudden disappearance of staff to America.

The reality you have refused to accept is that the bitting economic conditions occasioned by the gross incompetence of that dullard in Aso rock is the premise behind this.This brain drain isn't limited to the banking space.Health care workers are leaving in geometric progression.Ohhhhh according to your watery hypothesis,they also are into e medical fraud too.

How can you survive in a country where the exchange rate has so depreciated over a 100 percent under ur watch? Excess crude account has depleted massively, insecurity is becoming ba norm,the power grid has collapses recurrently this year.

If you understand what fundamentals are in situation analysis you won't come up with your unintelligent position on the issue.

They are leaving for a better working environment where they won't suffer in traffic because the road networks are good.

"No matter how you try to defend the incompetence of this government,you must sound stupid and foolish in juxtapositical dimension"

He is so foolish that he didn't even realize he shot himself in the foot. He is happy that a lot of tech experts resigned and left the banking sector because he believes they are the ones behind bank hacks and financial frauds but he forgot that the same tech experts are also the ones that ensure bank services are secured against hacks, what will happen now that a lot of them are leaving the sector? Doesn't that mean banks are now more vulnerable than before? But his foolishness clouded his reasoning and he didn't think to that extent

4 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by CastingCrowns(f): 11:09am On Aug 23, 2022
EdoBoy90:
Saudi Arabia is looking for Engineers seriously,taking the advantage of war in Ukraine to industrialize the country with crude oil money. Currently, this I where I submit my applications while I also focus on my UK school for graduate program. I have stopped applying to Nigerian jobs.

I know many who have left or planning to leave soon, and I am among them. My scholarship group makes me to have daily interaction with many. Three just left Nigeria: one to Canada through PR and he got a job of $40000 per month; second one to the US via MSc route and the other to the UK, a medical doctor. One is just waiting for Visa to the SouthEastern University in the US. Three of my friends are leaving to the UK this September. Two are going to Aberdeen on self-funding and the other one secured a job in the UK as an Engineer but following his wife to Hull on dependent visa. He got his MSc in the UK years ago.

Please I'm interested in the scholarship group, can I send a pm?
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by RepoMan007: 11:09am On Aug 23, 2022
Dvino1:
Am already better as I don pass that level but I can see ur hatred is already killing u
Get lost.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by loko50(m): 11:10am On Aug 23, 2022
Book haram is winning
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Dvino1: 11:11am On Aug 23, 2022
Idiot cry
RepoMan007:

Get lost.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Sheriman(m): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2022
Banking industry always announced Billions they make as profit over the years but doesn't reflect on their army of developers who are seriously developing solutions to their problems. What makes those guys working as a developer in our local banks to japa is poor renumeration and welfare packages despite all the heavy works they are doing behind the door.
Imagine an Android or IOS developer working in NIGERIA Bank earning as low as 300K to 400K per month compare to a remote job of $70 to $80K per year with relocation assistance if you want to japa.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by CocoaOla: 11:14am On Aug 23, 2022
Nigeria stardard of living is hell on earth

Poor minimum wages

The govement doesn't even care

Run ooo

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Juleeee: 11:15am On Aug 23, 2022
Unzerious:

Should we now settled for tinubu and atiku?
Even though obi is bad, he is better than them, at this moment.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by RepoMan007: 11:16am On Aug 23, 2022
Dvino1:
Idiot cry
Your pain is real o.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by CocoaOla: 11:18am On Aug 23, 2022
Sheriman:
Banking industry always announced Billions they make as profit over the years but doesn't reflect on their army of developers who are seriously developing solutions to their problems. What makes those guys working as a developer in our local banks to japa is poor renumeration and welfare packages despite all the heavy works they are doing behind the doors.

No amount of salaries can save you and your children future in Nigeria standard of living is hell on earth

If the government is good even with low pay people will remain

2 Likes

Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by Dvino1: 11:19am On Aug 23, 2022
No ,ur own is not real idiot, ur own is film
RepoMan007:
Your pain is real o.
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:22am On Aug 23, 2022
EdoBoy90:

I am very interested in the emboldened. Can you share with me the link to the group, please?
Re: Brain Drain Hits Nigerian Banks As Tech Experts, Others Resign In Droves by KushLyon(m): 11:29am On Aug 23, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

The brighter side is that our bank I.T related frauds may now go down. Just few days ago, I read an official notice that Access Bank just brought in an I.T guru as their Executive Director for that segment to keep most of these fraudulent ex-staff away from deposits of innocent Nigerians.

Nigerian Banks are now very conservative in that area and extra careful before hiring IT guys. They may soon be outsourcing it like cash in transit service that comes with insurance or go for foreigners head hunted by reputable global HR coys.

The bolded must be a big joke grin You think they will be able to afford foreigners? Why will a foreigner ignore high paying countries like US, UK, Canada and accept peanuts from Nigeria banks? Baba say na head hunted by reputable global HR coys grin

If you are a Nigerian who is upright, smart and patriotic, well known in the industry as smart, honest and faithfully competent, right now, even if they fire you one day, they will come back and beg you to come back; your kind are scarce now and in high demand!

And they will continue to be scarce. Just remove smart from that your sentence, no smart techie will pick Naija Fintech company over a foreign one. Why will I accept a job of 150k when I can get x5 of that while working for a foreign company? It's gross foolishness

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Humiliation At ECOBANK Badagry. / Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria / Teju Ajani Appointed the Managing Director for Apple in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.