Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities (17203 Views)

Video Of Peter Obi At The NBA Conference / Kwankwaso, Tinubu Absent As Atiku, Obi, Shettima Attend NBA Conference In Lagos / FG Returns Toll Gates On Federal Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by iwaeda: 9:19am On Aug 23, 2022
Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has clarified the comment he made on Federal Government-owned universities at the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Annual General Conference held at the Eko Hotels, Lagos State.

Atiku, who was one of the panelists at the event on Monday, had narrated his encounter with a professor in the Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State.

He had said the Federal Government lacks resources for effective management of federal universities in the country.

“I had an argument with a university professor from Federal University, Lokoja. He said he read in my policy document that I intend to devolve, in other words, to return education to the states. How dare I do that? I said: ‘Mr professor, do you realise that the first set of our universities belongs to the regional governments?’ He said, ‘yes’. I said ‘who are the successors of the regional government?’ He said: ‘the states’.

“I said the children you send to America or England, who own those universities? Mostly the private sector. So, why is it that you think we cannot do it here? We don’t have the money.”

But in a statement, Paul Ibe, Media Adviser to the Presidential candidate said Atiku only referred to his plans for a phased devolution of power to the federating units.

Ibe stated: “For the avoidance of doubt, Atiku did not say that he will hand over Federal universities to state governments if he is elected president come February next year.

“The report is false, untrue, unfounded, and not a true reflection of what Atiku Abubakar said while responding to a question on devolution of powers, a key component of his policy framework.

“What the PDP presidential candidate referred to was his plans for a phased devolution of power to the federating units.

“The report in some sections of the media is therefore a misleading and false account of what transpired when the PDP Presidential candidate fielded questions as a panelist at the opening ceremony of the NBA conference.

“In answering the question posed to him, Atiku Abubakar merely recalled his engagement with a university professor where he argued that the United States of America shared similarities with the first set of universities in Nigeria which belonged to the regional governments and noted that with proper planning and phased devolution of power, federal universities that have now become unwieldy could be made to work better under the component federating units. He also maintained that education would remain in the concurrent list under his administration when elected.

“We wish to restate Atiku Abubakar’s avowed commitment to education as a game changer for socio-economic development and national security. He remains concerned about the prolonged strike by university teachers and restates his position that under his watch the ASUU-FG imbroglio will be better managed in the interest of both the students and academic staff.

“To underscore his commitment to address the structural deformities in our system, the former Vice President also disclosed that he had empanelled a committee of judiciary experts to draft a presidential position paper which will guide his administration, if elected, from day one, on the terms and conditions of transfer of power and resources to the other layers of government aimed at making the federal government leaner and more effective in its core functions.

“We implore media organisations to be wary of unfounded stories in the course of carrying out their constitutionally guaranteed responsibility of informing, educating, and entertaining the people,” the statement read.
https://dailytrust.com/nba-conference-atiku-clarifies-comment-on-federal-universities

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Illuminatiship(m): 9:21am On Aug 23, 2022
Ok
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Apexmoh: 9:30am On Aug 23, 2022
Atiku focuses on the solutions, while the unknown man focuses on the problems.

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Prince111111: 9:44am On Aug 23, 2022
ATIKU is the man

18 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by iwaeda: 9:53am On Aug 23, 2022
Lalasticlala grin grin grin grin angry

1 Like

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by babyfaceafrica: 9:58am On Aug 23, 2022
No one cares

4 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 23, 2022
You deny everything these days.... even Buhari denied his manifesto.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by festacman(m): 10:08am On Aug 23, 2022
I commend Atiku for at least stating his idea about improving uni education. We need others to present their own ideas. No more rhetorics or problem analyses.

However, I disagree with Atiku's idea in that I believe that the first step in improving our university is doing the SWOT analysis of the current model and drawing from the outcome to reform or change the model. The problem is not about whether it is fed or state government that is the overseer. It is about acknowledging that the current model is outdated having not being radically reviewed and re-formed since independence. How do we make VCs more financially accountable? Should universities have their accounts audited annually? What must be to secure the interest and support of corporate bodies and wealthy personages? etc.

Funny thing is that leaders at federal and state levels who are visionless about diversifying away from easy-money oil earnings are expecting VCs to diversify away from government funding to alternative funding. Leaders show example.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by mbaboy(m): 10:09am On Aug 23, 2022
I voted for u in 2019 and i will still vote for u again in 2023

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Vickym1(f): 10:13am On Aug 23, 2022
grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by SmartPolician: 10:20am On Aug 23, 2022
That's why some politicians don't discuss their solutions. They would rather dwell on the problems because they run the risk of their opponents bastardising and using it against them during campaigns or implementing them and taking the credit if they eventually win.

Besides, most of us already know the solution to Nigeria's numerous problems. What this country needs is political will to solve them head-on without looking at people's faces.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by etcme(m): 10:22am On Aug 23, 2022
They talk another thing and their media will come to defend another thing. Na like this una go take rule us.

Why not talk and tell us "Go and verify" with boldness. We are tired of media coming to defend you old men all the time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by adioolayi(m): 10:22am On Aug 23, 2022
After thought as usual...

The same Atiku Abubakar that championed the privatisation process during Obasanjo's regime

I agree that some government agencies will be better, if privatised..it will improve productivity..

The problem here is the manner Atiku did it in the past, selling Government facilities for peanuts to his cronies who have no idea of what to do with them and subsequently killed the sector. Also, the affected civil servants in those privatised sectors were not properly remunerated...for me, that was a terrible way of privatisation.

That being said.... without sentiment, hope we have all agreed that Shettima actually performed better than Peter Obi and Atiku at NBA conference yesterday

I am saying what I have said without sentiment or bias.

Anyways...Vote Omoyele Sowore for President

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Yolkfold: 10:22am On Aug 23, 2022
Hmmmm
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by sukkot: 10:22am On Aug 23, 2022
cheesy
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 23, 2022
Shettima the terrorist right now

7 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Daystar6x: 10:22am On Aug 23, 2022
Atikii atikùu
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by WonderManly(m): 10:23am On Aug 23, 2022
Now!..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by Parachoko: 10:23am On Aug 23, 2022
Is Atiku trying to tell us there are no State Universities in Nigeria or what?

The State Universities can't even compete with the federal ones

41 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by GoooodHardDick: 10:24am On Aug 23, 2022
This is exactly why we need Obi ASAP to rescue this country from these old criminal ancestors.

Peter Obi for president

2 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by NotKnown: 10:25am On Aug 23, 2022
Okay but one thing I know for sure is that anytime you need to clarify what you said initially, it means you said nonsense to some people initially.
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by datola: 10:25am On Aug 23, 2022
Atiku will most likely sell Nigeria to his cronies.

2 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by MykLANNY(m): 10:25am On Aug 23, 2022
Next we'll hear Atiku clarifies comment on his presidential ambition.

1 Like

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by emmanuelbrown26: 10:25am On Aug 23, 2022
D hit its on. Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, abeg I never know u like dis before, saying something and denying it. Its better u don't say than saying and denying like ur brother Buhari and Agbado master.
Buhari dun mak people no get shame again, everybody now get mind to dey deny waiting en talk.
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by MALLEOLUS2017(m): 10:25am On Aug 23, 2022
Okay Atiku. We don hear ur own part of the story. True true wetin dem du u no good. LMAO grin
Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by PremiumTech: 10:26am On Aug 23, 2022
See the main thread where Atiku said he will handover all federal universities to states here.

https://www.nairaland.com/7294255/hand-over-federal-universities-state

1 Like

Re: NBA Conference: Atiku Clarifies Comment On Federal Universities by alphaconde(m): 10:26am On Aug 23, 2022
Last election Atiku was a lesser evil

in this election is OBI or nothing

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Next Generation Would Query Us Over Tinubu's Questionable Certificate - Aremu / Nigeria Warns Kenya Over Deportation Of Official / It’s Wrong For Jonathan To Summon Electoral Umpire, Jega At Will – APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.