Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,687 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar (2443 Views)

Atiku: I Will Hand Over Power To A Young President / Osinbajo Presides Over Federal Executive Council Meeting / Osinbajo: Buhari Will Hand Over To South-West In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by PremiumTech: 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2022
THE BUREAU | POLITICS

Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party in the elections of 2023, has declared he will transfer control of federally funded universities to state governments.

As a panelist at the 2022 Nigerian Bar Association's Annual General Conference, which took place in the Eko Atlantic City in Lagos State on Monday, the 75-year-old lawmaker from Adamawa made this claim.

This week's conference, with the title "Bold Transitions," got under way. It will last through August 26.

Atiku stated the Federal Government does not have unlimited resources while speaking on Monday during the panel discussion.

The only approach, according to him, is to create an atmosphere that is favorable for both foreign and domestic investors to invest in our nation's infrastructure, education, and electricity needs.

"I got into a fight with a professor at Federal University Lokoja. He claimed to have seen in my policy document my intention to devolve, or to hand back control of education to the states. What the heck am I doing?

"Do you realize, Mr. Professor, that the first group of our universities is owned by the regional governments? I asked. He replied, "Yes." I said, "Who will succeed the regional government?" The states, he said.

"I stated the kids you send to the universities in England and America are owned by...," the majority of the private sector. Why do you think we can't do it here, then? We lack the necessary funds.

Since February 14, the Academic Staff Union of Universities has been on strike in support of a number of demands, including enhanced welfare, the revitalization of public universities, and academic autonomy.

Since the professors put down their instruments, public tertiary university students have been absent from the classroom.

In 2020, ASUU started a similar nine-month industrial strike.

Even though the ASUU strike is still in effect, numerous politicians and government officials have been photographed abroad at their children's graduations from foreign schools. This development has drawn criticism from human rights activists and many worried Nigerians, who have called it insensitive.

Source: The Bureau

2 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by PresidObi: 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2022
Oga Atiku,

You simply don't have the capacity to manage Nigeria.

Show us what you have done for the education sector while in office as the VP, or after you left office as a private citizen.

We won't be deceived again by another Buhari that promised to employ 5 million youths monthly and pay jobless youths money every month, meanwhile, Buhari had never employed even one man for the past 35 years before becoming president.

Peter Obi have the track record of involvement in school management and taking education to higher heights.

Vote for LP.

All our students will be busy and happy in their schools.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Mynd44: 2:48pm On Aug 22, 2022
Ha! Does he actually know that he would need an act of NASS plus the states also do not possess the funds required to fund these schools. The states can't even fund their own schools not to mention adding more to it.

Universities should be allowed to run by themselves, allowed to set tuition charges and use the money to oay for the staff and other such needs. FG schools come in only when huge projects are needed. In the way, each school can set their wages and be autonomous.

That is the only way out

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by onez: 2:48pm On Aug 22, 2022
Well, I won't condemn you Atiku. Let the discussion continue. One agbado has refused to even show face.

7 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by samuelgodson(m): 2:49pm On Aug 22, 2022
Wo make dem do watin dem wan do .......village man is tired
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Bobloco: 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2022
grin
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by ojun50(m): 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2022
Won do una for this country
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Kingsasian(m): 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2022
This man would be worse than Buhari

2 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Ebubu: 2:51pm On Aug 22, 2022
grin

ASUU has lost.

State governments that can’t pay minimum wage and are waiting for bail out from federal government is the one that will now pay lecturers millions they are asking for grin

ASUU should better thank Atiku and stick with Buhari who wants to keep them and pay them whatever amount that is at least consistent, against state government owing outrightly for long stretch of months; take for instance Kogi, Ondo and Abia state governments grin

4 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Ebubu: 2:56pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:
Ha! Does he actually know that he would need an act of NASS plus the states also do not possess the funds required to fund these schools. The states can't even fund their own schools not to mention adding more to it.

Universities should be allowed to run by themselves, allowed to set tuition charges and use the money to oay for the staff and other such needs. FG schools come in only when huge projects are needed. In the way, each school can set their wages and be autonomous.

That is the only way out

Why is ASUU paying blind eye to this approach ?
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by abu12: 2:57pm On Aug 22, 2022
most state university are not on strike today, ASUU is becoming a political organization used by opposition to fight any sitting government since 1999.

Giving federal university to states is part of

DEVOLUTION OF POWER
a lot of things need amendment in our constitution.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by kay1one(m): 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:

That is the only way out

Oga move Peter Obi posts at this NBA conference to front page.

Don't fight a moving train!

2 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Righthussle: 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2022
So that he will go and buy it from them.

3 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by AllTheWayUp: 2:59pm On Aug 22, 2022
Atiku stated the Federal Government does not have unlimited resources while speaking on Monday during the panel discussion.
The only approach, according to him, is to create an atmosphere that is favorable for both foreign and domestic investors to invest in our nation's infrastructure, education, and electricity needs.

"I got into a fight with a professor at Federal University Lokoja. He claimed to have seen in my policy document my intention to devolve, or to hand back control of education to the states. What the heck am I doing?

"Do you realize, Mr. Professor, that the first group of our universities is owned by the regional governments? I asked. He replied, "Yes." I said, "Who will succeed the regional government?" The states, he said.

"I stated the kids you send to the universities in England and America are owned by...," the majority of the private sector. Why do you think we can't do it here, then? We lack the necessary funds.
Correct man, devolution of power, decentralize the Federal Government, give states more power such a state police and others this has always been part Atiku's manifestos.. go and verify
I am fully Atikulated

5 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Felimax(m): 3:01pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:

That is the only way out

That is not the only way out. Some regions are to the detriment of others. With regional government system the universities will be dully funded and managed as every region will carry the educational burden they can carry. No more the central government system.

Why do you think the West is ahead when it comes to this regard? And if not Zik abi Ironsi that brought in Vatican 2 abi 3 systems Nigeria would have done better with unilateral system of government. As at then the west was growing at a very fast pace.

All Atiku is saying in nutshell is that he will bring back that system of government. Trust me, at the dying minutes even Tinubu will support Atiku candidacy.

We want a restructured country. Period!

2 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by FreeStuffsNG: 3:03pm On Aug 22, 2022
Hahaha!! If this report is true then it seems HE Atiku does not understand the issues. I can imagine asking Osun state to fund and manage OAU, it will be too much for Osun state.
check my signature for freebies!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Mynd44: 3:03pm On Aug 22, 2022
Ebubu:

Why is ASUU paying blind eye to this approach ?
Because ASUU wants all the benefits with zero responsibilities.

As far as the schools are run by the FG, theu can be indiscipline. You can always call someone in the ministry to help out.

But if the ministry has no say and the highest decision making body is a board, it is easy to deal with you and everyone else

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by TI1919(m): 3:04pm On Aug 22, 2022
The Universities and Secondary Schools should be privaties instead hended over to State who don't have enough resources. While both State and Federal government should focus on providing free primary education

1 Like

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Ebubu: 3:05pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:

As far as the schools are run by the FG, theu can be indiscipline. You can always call someone in the ministry to help out.

But if the ministry has no say and the highest decision making body is a board, it is easy to deal with you and everyone else
fact! ASUU want to eat their cake and have it. So that the impunity associated with being under the ministry of education, will continue. Yam eaters.
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Ebubu: 3:06pm On Aug 22, 2022
TI1919:
The universities should be privaties instead hended over to state who don't have enough resources
most of the states will owe salaries more than federal government if handed over to them.

No be kogi, ondo and abia dey owe civil servants backlog of 36 months ? Them never even pay pensioners.
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by FreeStuffsNG: 3:06pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:

You are making a lot of sense. It seems the self regulation of ASUU itself is a problem to the members of ASUU and other stakeholders.
ASUU is not even owning up to its own members inadequacies from sexual misconduct to many other accusations against ASUU.
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Lonestar124: 3:08pm On Aug 22, 2022
Will the decision reduce the high cost of education in Nigeria, especially the government schools, I think that should be main reason of the entire decision for the helpless layman that can not afford it now...

We are watching closely.....
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by kay1one(m): 3:10pm On Aug 22, 2022

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by abobote: 3:11pm On Aug 22, 2022
Atiku is better than Tinubu, but Obi is the best

1 Like

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by nazicartel(m): 3:13pm On Aug 22, 2022
Mynd44:

That is the only way out
I have been trying to understand something. From Acceptance fee to sch fees. Does the universities pay all these money to the federal government?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by APCnaPDP: 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
That will be very bad AA. That will reduce quality of education and research capabilities of such universities. Rather, hand it over to private investors. Universities must be run like businesses but subsidised by the federal government and loans made available to people who cannot afford it.

3 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Prince111111: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2022
AllTheWayUp:

Correct man, devolution of power, decentralize the Federal Government, give states more power such a state police and others this has always been part Atiku's manifestos.. go and verify
I am fully Atikulated
like seriously Atiku would do a good job.

2 Likes

Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by jkpbestseries: 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2022
all for 2023
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Austine24: 3:27pm On Aug 22, 2022
PremiumTech:
THE BUREAU | POLITICS

Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate for the Peoples Democratic Party in the elections of 2023, has declared he will transfer control of federally funded universities to state governments.

As a panelist at the 2022 Nigerian Bar Association's Annual General Conference, which took place in the Eko Atlantic City in Lagos State on Monday, the 75-year-old lawmaker from Adamawa made this claim.

This week's conference, with the title "Bold Transitions," got under way. It will last through August 26.

Since February 14, the Academic Staff Union of Universities has been on strike in support of a number of demands, including enhanced welfare, the revitalization of public universities, and academic autonomy.

Since the professors put down their instruments, public tertiary university students have been absent from the classroom.

In 2020, ASUU started a similar nine-month industrial strike.

Even though the ASUU strike is still in effect, numerous politicians and government officials have been photographed abroad at their children's graduations from foreign schools. This development has drawn criticism from human rights activists and many worried Nigerians, who have called it insensitive.

Source: The Bureau

Nawaa oooo..
I weep for abia state.....
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by TI1919(m): 3:33pm On Aug 22, 2022
This Man don't have any solution about Nigeria problem just like Buhari
Re: I Will Hand Over Federal Universities To State Govts – Atiku Abubakar by Natbrowny: 3:35pm On Aug 22, 2022
If Lagos state handle Unilag

School fees na 7figures. grin grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Vs Peter Obi: Don’t Compare Don Perignon To Ogogoro – Fani-kayode / Labour Party Posted Peter Obi GCE Results / What Do You Think About Tinubu's Manifesto?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.