Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,777 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters (25928 Views)

Peters Mbah Erects Billboards Asking Enugu Obidients To Vote For Him (Photos) / Delta APC & PDP Governorship Candidates Ask Obidients To Vote For Them (Photos) / 2019: FG Orders IDP's Back To Unsafe Region Because Of Election - Reuters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by ShowYourCertificate: 2:30pm On Aug 24, 2022
Meet the man rallying "Obi-dients" to shake up Nigeria's election
By Libby George

LAGOS, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Peter Obi is hardly a political outsider, but the bespectacled former governor says he is looking to harness Nigerians' anger with the status quo to power his third-party presidential bid.

Obi, 61, has generated substantial buzz among younger voters in Africa's most populous democracy, where the average age is 18, but the president - and both major-party candidates for the February 2023 election - are septuagenarian political veterans.

His followers, who call themselves "Obi-dients", say he can solve what ails Nigeria, including unprecedented insecurity, industrial-scale oil theft and allegations of widespread corruption eight years after President Muhammadu Buhari ran promising to eradicate it.

Nigerian electoral law forbids candidates from campaigning before Sept. 28. In a recent interview at his Lagos residence, Obi, speaking as a private citizen, said Nigeria's problems could turn voters against the two dominant parties, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and opposition People's Democratic Party (PDP).

"The system they've operated over the years, it has brought us to where we are," Obi told Reuters.

Bola Tinubu, 70, is the APC candidate and Atiku Abubakar, 75, is running for the opposition PDP.

Many of Obi's backers were also prominent in 2020 protests against police brutality that ended with security forces opening fire on unarmed demonstrators, leaving them particularly keen to oust older leaders.

Young people accounted for half of voters in 2019, and 84% of the 10.49 million recently registered voters were aged 34 and below. read more

'WE WILL BREAK ALL OF IT'
Obi was Atiku's running mate in 2019, but said he lost faith in the nomination process. He is now running with the Labour Party, one of 18 registered political parties.

Dressed in a tailored-but-casual blue "senator style" suit and sandals, Obi said that voters in a nation "on the brink" would eschew religious, ethnic and tribal loyalties that typically help the major parties dominate elections.

"What is important is that people trust," he said, adding: "It is simple. You may not like me. But what I'm coming here to do will be different."

Still, as a political veteran himself, Obi has attracted his share of controversy in the past.

Assets he controlled appeared in the Pandora Papers leaks, and during the 2019 campaign he and Atiku were challenged on their track records regarding corruption and investing government funds in private businesses, some of which they owned shares in, while in public office. Both denied any allegations of graft, and Obi said the Pandora Papers accounts were part of legal and legitimate asset management.

Now Obi says he is happy to stand on his record as governor of southeastern Anambra state, which left a rare budget surplus.

His gubernatorial tenure, he added, showed that he was unafraid of angering powerful interests to help the nation, and was more important to voters than his Christian faith or identity as an Igbo - an ethnic group where some members agitate for a breakaway nation.

"We will break all of it to make it work," he said.

Obi said he is finalising specifics of his platform - such as how he would handle the tightly controlled naira currency or deal crippling fuel subsidies.

But he said he would renegotiate debt, extricate the government from the economy and enable the private sector to thrive.

"The young ones want to see a country with a future," he said. "My job is to take the country and give it to them."

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/meet-man-rallying-obi-dients-shake-up-nigerias-election-2022-08-23/

The world is watching the political revolution that's building up in Nigeria with keen interest.

220 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by PresidObi: 2:30pm On Aug 24, 2022
Peter Obi is a phenomenon.

I will vote for him.

515 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Corridon: 2:30pm On Aug 24, 2022
Even the world have recognized that Obi is a force to reckon with. Obi is the undisputed choice of Nigerians to make Nigeria work again.

440 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Staphylococcus: 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2022
Online rally! grin

Mirage that will never come to reality!

Hommie better go invest his money in stocks or real estate. He lacks a true adviser who can look into his eyes and say “Mr. Obi, your ambition is impossible”

I have thought of the possibility of Obi becoming president, and the only instance I could find is if one should abuse hard drugs. Only hallucinations can make Obi president.

211 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by lloydtruth: 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2022
Peter Obi is the next President

370 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Qtrpst4: 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2022
Say it without crying nah

Staphylococcus:
Online rally! grin

Hommie better go invest his money in stocks or real estate. He lacks a true adviser who can look into his eyes and say “Mr. Obi, your ambition is impossible”

I have thought of the possibility of Obi becoming president, and the only instance I could find is if one should abuse hard drugs. Only hallucinations can make Obi president.

366 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Staphylococcus: 2:42pm On Aug 24, 2022
Qtrpst4:
Say it without crying nah

Don’t be anxious!

2023 will humble you!

205 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by kay1one(m): 2:42pm On Aug 24, 2022
penta:
Let's support youths with good track records for political position comes 2023.. it is now, no more delay.

Professor Christopher Imumolen will transform Nigeria truly.. Let's do it for ourselves, our futures generation and Africa now. Support Professor Christopher Imumolen for Nigeria President.

What is this now? cheesy cheesy

26 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Qtrpst4: 2:43pm On Aug 24, 2022
You tears go full bucket

Staphylococcus:

Don’t be anxious!

2023 will humble you!

199 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by TinubuThief: 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2022
grin
Obi is our incoming President and if any senseless urchin that likes suffering doesn't like it, relocate to Afghanistan or kee yourself grin

175 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Chigold101(m): 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2022
Obidents are we.

We shock the world in 2023.

Obi-Datti is the real deal

160 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by XerXers: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2022
In Phyno's voice : Them say I no go go far, Ha si na m di local, ha si m emena emena now the boy is global .....

86 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by colorsofrainbow: 2:47pm On Aug 24, 2022
Staphylococcus:
Online rally! grin

I could only see heavy droplets of tears & agony above cry cry cry

117 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Fkmodhi: 2:49pm On Aug 24, 2022
Nigeria next president...

44 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Staphylococcus: 2:50pm On Aug 24, 2022
colorsofrainbow:

I could only see heavy droplets of tears & agony above cry cry cry

How do you expect me to be in tears when I am guaranteed that His Excellence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is the incoming President of The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Hello! Ordinarily, their shouldn’t be election in 2023 if the constitution permits, as their is no viable opposition to go head-on with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

You don’t need to be anxious! If I am certain of one other thing, reality will dawn on you in 2023

200 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Oziens: 2:55pm On Aug 24, 2022
This is a plus to Peter Obi movement train which has received foreign media coverage. Surely, no better time than this.

Nigeria, surely shall work again for the Youths.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Conrod: 2:56pm On Aug 24, 2022
Am happy that despite all attempts to bury the truth,...REUTERS (world biggest news outlet)knows that protesters were shot and killed as instructed by the APC govt whose national leader is TINUBU a.k.a emilokan.....God forbid BAT thing.

46 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by babyfaceafrica: 2:57pm On Aug 24, 2022
Super story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by FatherOfJesus: 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2022
Staphylococcus:
Online rally! grin

lol, even you no believe wetin you talk so cheesy

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2022
Peter obi is a kind hearted man
I must vote him

58 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by MasterJayJay: 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2022
Staphylococcus:

How do you expect me to be in tears when I am guaranteed that His Excellence, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is the incoming President of The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Hello! Ordinarily, their shouldn’t be election in 2023 if the constitution permits, as their is no viable opposition to go head-on with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

You don’t need to be anxious! If o am certain of one other thing, reality will dawn on you in 2023

Even a slave will detest the name staphylococcus. See the name they gave you for you to campaign for Tinubu.

Chai!!

54 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by NaijaRoyalty(m): 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2022
The movement is unstoppable. It is bigger than Obi himself .

We are global now

69 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by LagosEmir: 3:02pm On Aug 24, 2022
ShowYourCertificate:
Meet the man rallying "Obi-dients" to shake up Nigeria's election
By Libby George

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/meet-man-rallying-obi-dients-shake-up-nigerias-election-2022-08-23/

The world is watching the political revolution that's building up in Nigeria with keen interest.
Nlfpmod
Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Talazo6: 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
A
Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
Ok
Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Zchi1052(m): 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
Issorite
Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Offpoint1: 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
Dey rally go shock many, e go be like dream because dey campaign go loud...

9 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Antoeni(m): 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
Any Student , Lecturer. Parents And Relatives of The Affected, That Will Still Vote For APC, May Monkey Pox, Ebola & COVID-19 Combined, Be Their portion

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Kennitrust(m): 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
Obidient everywhere you go

23 Likes

Re: Peter Obi Rallying Obidients To Shake Up Nigeria's Election - Reuters by Skyfornia(m): 3:09pm On Aug 24, 2022
Obi is the messiah.. if we miss this opportunity, we might not have it again.

24 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Are Disappointed With Inec's Decision To Review Obingwa's Results - Abia PDP / Dino Melaye Reveals Oshiomhole, Fayemi And Badaru Plans In Kogi Election / VAT: North Is Rich, Can Live Without Billions Accruing To Southern States —NEF

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.