Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) (11455 Views)

Video Of Peter Obi At The NBA Conference / Kwankwaso, Tinubu Absent As Atiku, Obi, Shettima Attend NBA Conference In Lagos / Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by envoymedia: 7:01am On Aug 25, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjUQwmCiP4

NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video)

Award-winning novelist, Chimamanda Adichie, has said Nigerians do not have enough leaders to look up to in the current system.

Adiche made this statement during her keynote address at the ongoing Annual General Meeting of the Nigerian Bar Association at the Eko Hotel on Monday.

The conference, themed “BOLD Transitions” is scheduled to hold between August 19 to 26, 2022.

Adiche, during her speech, said young citizens were finding it difficult to have heroes for mentorship.

She said, “We are starved of heroes. Our young people do not find people to look up to anymore.”

The speaker said it was important for everyone to speak out against injustice and tyranny even if they were called troublemakers.

She said, a bold transition must embrace audacity and innovation. They have called me troublesome. Although, it is never enjoyable to be called troublesome. I never set out to provoke for it’s sake. But I refuse to silence myself for the fear of what I might inadvertently provoke. It has always been important to me to say what I believe, to call out injustice.

“Federal and state security dragging journalists to prison is tyranny. A journalist ill-treating his domestic staff is tyranny. The rape of young boys and girls is also tyranny. It is tyranny when state governments do not pay pensioners until they slump and die as broken people. The physical harassment of lawyers and some some judges is tyranny. The use of the law by some people to oppress the poor people is tyranny.”

Adiche said Nigerians must be fair in their criticisms before peace can thrive. She said they should become responsible before holding the leaders responsible.

She said, “As long as we refuse to untangle the knot of injustice, peace cannot thrive. If we don’t talk about it, we fail to hold leaders accountable and we turn what should be transparent systems into ugly opaque cults.

“My experience made me think there’s something dead in us, in our society; a death of self-awareness and ability for self-criticism.

There’s need for resurrection. We cannot avoid self-criticism but criticise the government. We cannot hide our own institutional failure while demanding transparency from the government.”

In her closing remarks, she advocated for an uncorrupted judicial system and called on the NBA to leverage technology in judicial process and the administration of justice in the country.

She said, “Nigerians are disillusioned because they know of the decline of professionalism in some sections of the legal profession. As the NBA continues to fight the abuse of power, it must also look inward not to be corrupted.

“One way is to simplify legal procedure. We deny justice when we delay justice. Technology should also be used. It is time for the full use of technology in the administration of justice.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/nba-conference-nigerians-lack-heroes-says-chimamanda-adichie/%3famp

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Anieke77(m): 7:05am On Aug 25, 2022
She is proudly obidient

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by jkpbestseries: 7:06am On Aug 25, 2022
we have corrupt heros

10 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by anonimi: 7:14am On Aug 25, 2022
Anieke77:
She is proudly obidient

Is she also a fraudulent liar like Peter Obi?
Or why is she Zombident?

anonimi:
Anambra doctors call off strike after 13 months
February 28, 2012

After over a year of down tools, Anambra State Government employed medical doctors have finally called of strike.
According to Dr. Emma Ekwesianya, Chairman Anambra State chapter of Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), the striking doctors decided to pick up tools again because of the plight of the ordinary people in the societ.
“It is true, we have called off the strike. We have just signed the agreement with government about an hour ago. The Secretary to the State Government (SSG) signed for the government. A technical committee, headed by Prof. O.O. Mbonu was set up to execute the agreement.” He confirmed.

“We decided to take the 60 per cent offered by government because of our people. Government has been rigid and we do not want to continue with the rigidity of government. We are serving the people, not government and our people are suffering.”
Speaking further, Ekwesianya, revealed that a technical committee, headed by Prof. O.O. Mbonu had also been set up by the association to see to the implementation of the agreement with government sequel to the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Peter Obi-led government on Monday.

Chief Medical Director, Anambra State University Teaching Hospital (ASUTH), Amaku, Awka, Dr. Lawrence Ikeakor also confirmed the new development: “Well I’m happy to tell you that the strike has been amicably resolved, even though, like you said, it’s been a prolonged one but suffice it to say that it has been resolved and the doctors have resumed work.”
“The call off was yesterday (Sunday). The doctors had some negotiations and held their congress yesterday, during which they agreed to call off the strike. So they resumed duty today.
They are in their clinic. Well, I was not privy to the agreement but I will say that our representatives were satisfied with the arrangement, hence they decided to call off the strike.” He disclosed.

https://dailypost.ng/2012/02/28/anambra-doctors-call-off-strike-after-13-months/

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Osumaadura(m): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2022
Vote wisely 2023

4 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Damidave1124(m): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2022
Adichie is a wise woman. He dribbled everyone here, she didn't stay in one place.
From the government to the people to the judiciary, she touched all.

May her wisdom never run dry

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by omoredia: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2022
We need a wise leader. Just one will be enough!
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Quest7777: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2022

&urchins have as hero, a controversial corrupt drug baron (Wealth without Enterprise) who is far past his prime & who emerged by massively bribing delegates...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by bestman09(m): 7:16am On Aug 25, 2022
Because there's no sincerity among the political elites. Corruption have eaten deeply into the system but we are ready to change the narrative come 2023 by voting wisely

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2022
Escobat is a heroin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Moh247: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2022
cool

Ibos and antagonism and undue criticism

Tinubu and Obasanjo both went to prison for this democracy we enjoy, they have lifted many people of all tribe to prominence yet you don't want to celebrate them because they are Yorubas like you vilify MKO and Awolowo yet their selfless legacy is everywhere

Awolowo and Yorubas built University of Ibadan with cocoa money where aunty Chimamanda Adichie attended, even Okonjo iweala and many prominent Ibos,. In this same Ibadan they call brown roof... Yet to appreciate greatness is difficult to them

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by dazzlingd(m): 7:17am On Aug 25, 2022
What’s wrong with her from acting as one

1 Like

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Dcaliphate(m): 7:17am On Aug 25, 2022
The ibos Nigerians keep putting down are the only ones that can save them. If una like make una vote tinubu or atiku, na una go still suffer am.

Everyone knows PO is the best candidate and its the time for the SE to rule but this money politics here is blinding them, till another 8yrs of suffering that may end Nigeria na when una eye go clear.

Some of you here supporting APC for presidency may not be alive to see the end of the Tenure you want to vote in. Save yourself. Take back Nigeria. Do the right thing.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Arelyn: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2022
W
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by nanotechy: 7:18am On Aug 25, 2022
Defiant, brilliant, and beautiful. She's my hero!
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by olas24u(f): 7:18am On Aug 25, 2022
So many hero,s in Yoruba land from politics ,economy ,business , poetry,drama, theater, Awolowo is an example of an hero Bank Anthony and many many others.she must be talking about her own land

4 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Atarakpa: 7:18am On Aug 25, 2022
We know.
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
The Owelle of Onitsha, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe was a natural leader just like Obafemi Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello. While the last two men are still "leading" their men from the grave, as it were, what's the place of Azikiwe today in the heart and mind of a typical Igboman, so to say? So, Chimamanda's treatise should have been appropriately headlined, The Igbo Lack Heroes! Miss Adichie, in case you're too young to know the GENUINE FACTS of Nigeria's quest for true heroes, let me take you down the memory lane as they say. Your people worked against the wish of Nigerians to enthrone democracy in 1993 by supporting the military to annul the freest and most credible election ever held in Nigeria. It was that one stroke of ill luck that engendered the present challenges. Strange, that you people are now posing as the best lovers of Nigeria! Tinubu and many other Nigerian patriots went into exile just to enthrone democracy, whilst your fathers were proudly pacing up and down the corridors of power in Aso Rock Villa with the Oppressors in support of their obnoxious decrees and proclamations against all other Nigerians. They even obtained an overnight judgement whose sole objective was to thwart the will and desires of the other Nigerians. Eventually, Nigeria was brought to its knees as a corollary. Nigeria was truly down then and your fathers were gleefully rejoicing over the "misfortunes" of their enemy the Yoruba. At each electoral cycle, your people have always been the killjoys. Do these names mean anything to you? - Walter Ofonagoro and Landslide 1983, Clement Akpamgbo, Francis Arthur Nzeribe and his Association for Better Nigeria, and the upstart Daniel Kanu and his Youths Earnestly Ask Abacha, YEAA? The Hausa-Fulani know what it takes to send any Igboman on a slavish errand. That's why they don't show any respect to you people. For many years they appointed your fathers as their mouthpieces, aka ministers of information. Your fathers ran the errands beyond their briefs each time. Imagine a people who came out of a civil war joining their antagonists immediately after the war ended in a political party! They quietly and expediently and conveniently forgot their HERO, Eze Gburugburu Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu of blessed memory (whoever fights for the liberation of his people is a hero to all fair-minded people throughout the world. Not once did he utter a word of disaffection to demean and malign Nigeria and the other Nigerians throughout! As a matter of fact I don't know what other paradigms Miss Adichie is employing to determine who a hero is!) in exile in Ivory Coast. There was no one to lift a finger to fight for his pardon, neither did they remember to plead his case. Not until immortal Alex Ekwueme, one of the finest gentlemen ever created by God Almighty, became vice president did Ojukwu receive reprieve. Imagine the siege they laid on your benighted region going to five years now; imagine what would have happened if it were in Yorubaland! Have I grated your nerves? You have to bear it, because the truth naturally hurts. In 1966, your fathers staged a coup d'etat abolishing a constitutional government in which not a single Igbo leader was killed, while they decapitated the elites of the other regions. Later, none of the coup plotters was brought to justice because Nigeria was theirs to hold. (Meaning that if Peter Obi should become president of the federal republic today - may God forbid evil -, his first assignment would be to release the felon Nnamdi Kanu, irrespective of his formerly expressed antagonisms against the fatherland!) Later still, your fathers destroyed the constitutional Federalist setup of the Nigerian state by abolishing the regions via Decree 34 of 1966, just because it suited their grabbing hearts to so do. The Igbo have to do "self-analysis" about why the rest of humanity hates them this much, instead if blaming everyone else for their self-inflicted woes. They must build their own heroes and after they so do, they must not attempt to force them on the other Nigerians camouflaged as National Heroes, just because we can see through it all! You can ask the Mods to ban me, but I have spoken my mind and that's al that I care about. Nigeria hero ko, Awka hero ni!"

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Eagle360(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
Heroes ti trabaye

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by ribbit: 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
Bla bla bla.

She should come and be it's hero na.
Mtchew..

4 Likes

Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Cutehector(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
The same lawyers who went to destroy things..mchew
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by Jahzrockballer(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
Omo
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by daygee12: 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
M
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by GardenOfGod(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2022
Apsolute truth
Re: NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) by mayortm001(m): 7:20am On Aug 25, 2022
They're all corrupt.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emefiele: CBN Investigator’s Report False, Naira Redesign Had Buhari's Approval / El Rufai's Accidental Public Servant / Corruption In Africa: Keynote Speech By Professor Patrick L.O. Lumumba Of Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.