Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria (21295 Views)

RE: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria? / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by henryelfhel: 2:00pm On Aug 29, 2022
Forget about mechanical Engineering it's a nightmare and the most useless course one can study in Nigeria. With the determination and strength I see in you use it to study software Engineering, Data Engineering/Science and CyberSecurity.
You will never forget me if you stick to this advice.

8 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by GerogeI(m): 2:04pm On Aug 29, 2022
selmansee:
I have become skeptical about Engineering in Nigeria

I want to study Mechanical engineering or elect elect. I am still confused..Please I’ll really appreciate if y’all can help

I am an Engineer.
The first thing you need to do is to make a distinction between Engineers and Technicians. Engineers are designers, solution crafters or inventors. Technicians on the other hand are the hands for the skilled labour to execute and produce the Engineers designs or carry out maintenance works.

In Nigeria lay people call Technicians Engineers. Frankly, Engineers cannot do what technicians do, because they are specilized skills that require years of practice. Even though an Engineer can adapt to learn on the job easily.

Industrial outfits do not need a lot of Engineers to function. Rather they need a lot of blue colar workers or technicians, such as mechanics, machine operators, welders, fitters, undsea welders, foundary operators, etcs. A technician cannot do what an Engineer does.

What is it that Engineeers do? They design solutions in such a way as to meet all kinds of stringent requirements on the first try. That is without room for trial and error. A civil Engineer must design a bridge or building to fully function on completion, without room for re-building. This is what we call Reliability. So even in designing a maintenance program for a machine, an Engineer must achieve significant machine uptime regardless of the challenges.

There are very few Engineering Roles in Nigeria. While they are few, they are actually well paid, especially in the oil industry. They are also mostly maintenance or consulting roles, not design roles. A junior Engineer with a Nigerian Local company earns about N400k to N600K per month. Engineering Managers earn upwards of double these amounts.

Why are there few Engineering roles?
Nigeria has very little manufacturing and production outside the oil industry. A typical small scale factory does not need an Engineer to funtion. Rather they need Technicians.

Whay are there so many Engineers Teaching in schools?
1. Mass production of Engineers rather than Technicians by Nigeria's 6-3-3-4 system. Higher Colleges were neglected. This system is so ridiculous that it planned to produce technicians at Junior secondary level, with courses such as Introductory Technology which failed as we were too young to work or even understand. Meanwhile it created no room for Polytechnics and Colleges of Higher Education. So everybody that was technically inclined went to study Engineering at University, especially with initial demand for Engineers from the oil industry.

2. Poor quality, education and generationally poor quality lecturers. The first set of Nigerian Engineers were trained in other countries, but coming back without avenues to practuce or demonstrate technical concepts. Each new generation of Engineers are worse than their predecessor.

3. Cultisim in Universities. I am sure you've heard of Engine Boys. They are the cultist in schooĺ. Climbing in and out through windows during academic works. Being weaponized for campus politics. Eventually they graduate with unearned scores given by their fellow cultist lecturers. Some of them are the Engineers you see in your class rooms. They are unable to compete and win those few available Engineering Roles.

4. Nigerian Engineers are not designing and inventing to create new opportunities. The worlds richest man is making money from Engineering- Elon Musk. The previous one also made money from Software Engineering, before it became a Technicians Job for programmers ( mathematical typist). In each era, the Engineering that creates the products for future and advancement, earn the most reward. Nigerian Engineers are not producing anything new or old, hence are not earning significant rewards. They are also not solving our most pressing problems. Our mechanical Engineers are yet to design cars, truck, trains, airplanes to fast track our economy. Our civil engineers are yet to find ways to make our roads last for 100 years without erosion. Our Electrical Engineers cannot provide enough power to meet our common demands. Our Electronics Engineers are yet to build a radio, talkless of liquid crystal displays, smart traffic light, our local computer processor. Rather they are all trooping out to work as software technicians.

If you want study and succeed as an Engineer, you must desire to truly solve problems via technical designs, and also be dedicated to study and understand the difficult concepts that engineers before you surmounted.Your study should be as rigorous as that of Doctors for your to stand a chance of competing with well mentored Engineers from other parts of the world.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by EdoBoy90(m): 2:04pm On Aug 29, 2022
henryelfhel:
Forget about mechanical Engineering it's a nightmare and the most useless course one can study in Nigeria. With the determination and strength I see in you use it to study software Engineering, Data Engineering/Science and CyberSecurity.
You will never forget me if you stick to this advice.

How many universities in Nigeria have the courses you mentioned here? Most of my friends did electrical Electronic Engineering, then, major in programming/Automation. Two in Germany and one in Malta. All got the jobs from Nigeria.

Mechanical Engineering pays very well in abroad. In mechanical engineering, you can major in controls, Design, manufacturing, robotics, AI, ML etc. I know many.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by marcelofrancis: 2:13pm On Aug 29, 2022
Bro, If I were in your situation right Now, I will forget about university or any territory education.

I will save money and time,

By looking for a tech institution and firm to learn high-paying tech skills e.g software engineering,

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by EmmanuelBlaze04: 2:22pm On Aug 29, 2022
Max247:

Go for computer engineering
Thanks so much. I appreciate
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Gaddafi1: 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2022
selmansee:

Ever since I was in secondary school, All my teachers who taught me science and mathematics are grduates of engineering, my futher math, physics, Agric ,math and chemistry teachers all had degrees ( B.Sc./B.Eng.) in Engineering. Some studied Agric engineering, civil I can still remember one who studied electrical. From FUNAAB

This got me thinking why do they end up like this, Are there no job market for graduate engineers anymore.
Mind you, I live in a highly industrialized area, where I stay, PZ Cussons, African Steel, Kimberly Clack, Dangote Flour, GB foods e.t.c all have their major facotories here..trust me there are many more but these are the highly ranked onced whom I believe many of you might be familiar with.

But when I interact with many of their engineers who work in these factories and live close to my house, I have never see any one of them who are graduates..not a single one..but they work as in engineers in these huge factories especially PZ cussons, African steel and GB foods.. they are not educated
The educated engineers with degrees, I mostly see them in private schools like mine and they earned nothing more than 28,000. They may be be extra from home teaching and the likes

While I was in SS 1, My geography teacher although didn’t study engineering but material science from FUTO (one of my dream school) and he was my teacher in his early 30s earning less than 30k..
The man who tutored me for my WAEC studied Mech.eng from UNIBEN. another tutor whom I wasn’t so close to but I got to know from colleagues that he also studied Mech.eng from Yabatech.
I know a friend whose father is a university dropout but works in Promasidor at Oshodi, they make Cowbell milk and Onga (I think).. and the father is an engineer there..I am confused, How?

I have passion for engineering but I don’t want to foolishly think that my case might be different.
Nairalanders who know a thing or two about the realities engineering in Nigeria
Please, what extra things do engineering students need to learn to ensure after graduation they are able to practice in their field or work in major manufacturing firms like I aspire.

I want to study Mechanical engineering or elect elect. I am still confused..Please I’ll really appreciate if y’all can help

There is no course like Material Science in FUTO but rather Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, so your teacher was actually an Engineer.
COREN which has the responsibility of regulating engineering in Nigeria is doing absolutely nothing and this has given quacks opportunity to take over the industry. The other day I met a man at a business center forging Engineering certificate of UNIPORT,
The oil and gas industry is only interested in what you can do for them and not your certificate.

ENGINEERING IS ACTUALLY A SCAM. I regret studying it
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by eminemkayc: 2:25pm On Aug 29, 2022
Hello,
On the contrary, there are extreme and enormous potentials for engineers generally in this country and civil engineers, in specific. As a practicing structural engineer in close to two decades with extreme competence in finite difference methods of analysis, finite element methods, application of laplace transformation to the analysis and design of dynamic equipment structures/foundations, etcetera I can confidently inform you that in a developing society like ours and elsewhere abroad, there's a huge demand for structural engineers (for e.g) in industries such as the oil and gas, power plant, telecommunications, etc. These are people who design lattice tower structures, monopole structures, girder bridges, high rise building structures, fixed jacket offshore structures, pile foundations, combined footings, raft foundation, floating and fixed jetties etc. However, to fit in, you must be quite COMPETENT in engineering analysis and design (note that those persons you mentioned in factories are technicians and NOT engineers), both manually, with the use of SELF-CREATED intelligent spreadsheets and with the use of INTERNATIONALLY-ACCEPTABLE computer aided design applications such as STAADPro, SAP2000, SACS and ETAB (not ORION) together with detailing applications such as AUTOCAD, PDMS, E3D.
Additionally, you should be competent in internationally acceptable codes of practice such as the Eurocodes (EC0-9), AISC, API, DNV, and relevant yet-to-be-wiithdrawn BS codes. The problem(s) with the Nigerian universities is that you are taught the solution of homogeneous/non-homogeneous second order differential equations either by classical methods or special operator methods without being taught its largely used applications in engineering design such as its application is structural free damped vibration of rigid bodies, forced-damped vibration via externally applied forcing functions, application in the description of ground acceleration due to seismic motions, its application in the theory of thin plates and shells like analysis of thin-walled pressurized vessels, fracture mechanics failure theories like huber-hencky-von-misces theroy, etc Engineering is applied mathematics, is sweet and once you do not know its application and cannot deploy the right tools in engineering design, you would obviously be found floating either in Nigeria or elsewhere in the world.
Finally note that the world is in deep demand of those who study and are COMPETENT in STEM-related courses and the 'E' in STEM is obviously Engineering.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by midastouch: 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2022
EdoBoy90:
Op study Mechanical Engineering with at least 2.1 (If possible, First Class) if you consider the Aerospace Engineering for advanced degrees in the US (PhD to BSc without MSc).

Study electrical electronic engineering then major in Automation or programming. Also, consider advanved degree in abroad for MSc and PhD.

Pls don't study Mathematics or Physics. E get why.

I strongly disagree. Please study Mathematics, Statistics and Physics. Take it further by getting into Data Science, A.I, Big Data, Machine Learning and others. You got it made !!

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by GerogeI(m): 2:30pm On Aug 29, 2022
EmmanuelBlaze04:
Hello sir. I love your reply. I just want to ask a question and I would appreciate it if you answer. I wanted to study computer science but by fate,what was available for me was Computer Engineering, and I have always wanted to be a programmer who knows about software and also deals with hardware like making phones and creating the ROM and RAM myself, and also want to learn a bit about developing AI , please do you encourage I take up the computer engineering or wait till I can get computer science? I had made my researches and I could decipher the fact that computer engineering deals with both software and hardware (some universities call it computer science and engineering) but aggregating it finally to the Nigerian system is what baffles me...please any tangible suggestion would be welcomed. Thanks in advance

Software technologies is not necessarily Engineering. Programming computers is more in the line of an Interpreter, only that the interpretation uses mathematics and Logic. Infact programming is akin yo speaking the language of the computer. So its a technologist's job, akin to a blue colar worker. However, it is in high demand due to booming Information technology. You do not need an Engineers certificate to get into Tech jobs as they are rightly called. You just need practice and certifications.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by EmmanuelBlaze04: 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2022
GerogeI:

Software technologies is not necessarily Engineering. Programming computers is more in the line of an Interpreter, only that the interpretation uses mathematics and Logic. Infact programming is akin yo speaking the language of the computer. So its a technologist's job, akin to a blue colar worker. However, it is in high demand due to booming Information technology. You do not need an Engineers certificate to get into Tech jobs as they are rightly called. You just need practice and certifications.
Thanks so much. I think I'll just find my way to learn the programming and software if my school is not teaching it well.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by henryelfhel: 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2022
The courses are studied in Nigeria universities. Run away from mechanical Engineering.
EdoBoy90:

How many universities in Nigeria have the courses you mentioned here? Most of my friends did electrical Electronic Engineering, then, major in programming/Automation. Two in Germany and one in Malta. All got the jobs from Nigeria.

Mechanical Engineering pays very well in abroad. In mechanical engineering, you can major in controls, Design, manufacturing, robotics, AI, ML etc. I know many.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by mmsen: 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2022
A friend of mine who studied mechanical engineering told me that the work that was available with that degree was too low paid for him. He later did an MBA.

A lot of people with engineering degrees do not want to work in their respective fields for various reasons.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by dododawa1: 2:51pm On Aug 29, 2022
Foreigners has take over NIGERIA engineering sectors.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by CyberHustle: 2:53pm On Aug 29, 2022
Engineering is now very theoretical in Nigeria and needs to be restructured. If the graduates cannot afford to buy the tools needed to advance beyond the first degree theories, commonsense dictates they back out.

4 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2022
Guyman01:
Going to the higher institution affected my creativity as a natural engineer. We are still using archaic British curriculum, we lacked hands-on experience in workshop and as we were even handled by non academic staff, write reports and submit to the lecturer.
I am a serious advocate of overhauling the engineering curriculum in Nigeria, we need to look at advanced industrialized countries and study their systems

Yeah, it made me hate engineering embarassed
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2022
EdoBoy90:

So, engineering is not a better option to proceed to abroad right?

This is not a fact. Do your research on LinkedIn. Many engineering graduates are taking the PhD route in the US

Mathematics and Physics grads can also do the same, there's no difference. Even a sound chemistry grad can do the same. However, these people spent four years while he spent five years. Even Physics grads go on to get a PhD in Economics. The belief that an engineering is mandatory for a postgraduate degree in engineering is entirely false. Also, like I mentioned earlier, if he needs a good job immediately after his BSc or BEng, it's not in the sector but tech, finance and consulting. So, why spend so much time studying whereas your math colleague spent less?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Amodi470(m): 2:58pm On Aug 29, 2022
Nnaemiemax:

The basis and tools of FinTech are still embedded in 'STEM'

Okay.. Oo
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 3:03pm On Aug 29, 2022
EdoBoy90:

OP is in Nigeria, and mechanical engineering doesn't pay more than software engineering or computer science jobs. Heck, they are behind finance. In countries with manufacturing sectors contributing to the GDP, engineers don't earn a lot. Here are two articles on the Financial Times (https://www.ft.com/content/dc5c19f7-5f4b-4bf5-809a-f46859fb5c39; https://www.ft.com/content/b90da329-a2e5-486a-860f-a20a3afc707a) where Japanese manufacturers are complaining that young Japanese engineering grads aren't interested in the sector because the salaries are low. If Japanese grads can pivot to high earning industries even when they can easily get jobs in the manufacturing industry, why should a young Nigerian do the same where there is non-existent manufacturing industry? When did Nigeria begin to manufacture more than Japan?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by motta(m): 3:07pm On Aug 29, 2022
Oga you don't just study engineering and come out with the cert alone you need to know other aspect of that particular engineering like the software aspect , each engineering course has so many software you can learn that aids you. Get to know them and you will be at the top of your mates .
selmansee:

Ever since I was in secondary school, All my teachers who taught me science and mathematics are grduates of engineering, my futher math, physics, Agric ,math and chemistry teachers all had degrees ( B.Sc./B.Eng.) in Engineering. Some studied Agric engineering, civil I can still remember one who studied electrical. From FUNAAB

This got me thinking why do they end up like this, Are there no job market for graduate engineers anymore.
Mind you, I live in a highly industrialized area, where I stay, PZ Cussons, African Steel, Kimberly Clack, Dangote Flour, GB foods e.t.c all have their major facotories here..trust me there are many more but these are the highly ranked onced whom I believe many of you might be familiar with.

But when I interact with many of their engineers who work in these factories and live close to my house, I have never see any one of them who are graduates..not a single one..but they work as in engineers in these huge factories especially PZ cussons, African steel and GB foods.. they are not educated
The educated engineers with degrees, I mostly see them in private schools like mine and they earned nothing more than 28,000. They may be be extra from home teaching and the likes

While I was in SS 1, My geography teacher although didn’t study engineering but material science from FUTO (one of my dream school) and he was my teacher in his early 30s earning less than 30k..
The man who tutored me for my WAEC studied Mech.eng from UNIBEN. another tutor whom I wasn’t so close to but I got to know from colleagues that he also studied Mech.eng from Yabatech.
I know a friend whose father is a university dropout but works in Promasidor at Oshodi, they make Cowbell milk and Onga (I think).. and the father is an engineer there..I am confused, How?

I have passion for engineering but I don’t want to foolishly think that my case might be different.
Please, what extra things do engineering students need to learn to ensure after graduation they are able to practice in their field or work in major manufacturing firms like I aspire.

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Jokerman(m): 3:13pm On Aug 29, 2022
GerogeI:

I am an Engineer.
The first thing you need to do is to make a distinction between Engineers and Technicians. Engineers are designers, solution crafters or inventors. Technicians on the other hand are the hands for the skill labour to execute and produce the Engineers designs or carry out maintenance works.

In Nigeria lay people call Technicians Engineers. Frankly, Engineers cannot do what technicians do, because they are specilized skills that require years of practice. Even though an Engineer can adapt to learn on the job easily.

Industrial outfits do not need a lot of Engineers to function. Rather they need a lot of blue colar workers or technicians, such as mechanics, machine operators, welders, fitters, undsea welders, foundary operators, etcs. A technician cannot do what an Engineer does.

What is it that Engineeers do? They design solutions in such a way as to meet all kinds of stringent requirements on the first try. That is without room for trial and error. A civil Engineers must design a bridge or building to fully function on completion, without room for re-building. This is what we call Reliability. So even in designing a maintenance program for a machine, and Engineer must achieve significant machine uptime regardless of the challenges.

There are very few Engineering Roles in Nigeria. While they are few, they are actually well paid, especially in the oil industry. They are also mostly maintenance or consulting roles, not design roles. A junior Engineer with a Nigerian Local company earns about N400k to N600K per month. Engineering Managers earn upwards of double these amounts.

Why are there few Engineering roles?
Nigeria has very little manufacturing and production outside the oil industry. A typical small scale factory does not need an Engineer to funtion. Rather they need Technicians.

Whay are there so many Engineers Teaching in schools?
1. Mass production of Engineers rather than Technicians by Nigeria's 6-3-3-4 system. Higher Colleges were neglected. This system is so ridiculous that it planned to produce technicians at Junior secondary level, with courses such as Introductory Technology which failed as we were too young to work or even understand. Meanwhile it created no room for Polytechnics and Colleges of Higher Education. So everybody that was technically inclined went to study Engineering at University, especially with initial demand for Engineers from the oil industry.

2. Poor quality, education and generationally poor quality lecturers. The first set of Nigerian Engineers were trained in other countries, but coming back without avenues to practuce or demonstrate technical concepts. Each new generation of Engineers are worse than their predecessor.

3. Cultisim in Universities. I am sure you've heard of Engine Boys. They are the cultist in schooĺ. Climbing in and out through windows during academic works. Being weaponized for campus politics. Eventually they graduate with unearned scores given by their fellow cultist lecturers. Some of them are the Engineers you see in your class rooms. They are unable to compete and win those few available Engineering Roles.

4. Nigerian Engineers are not designing and inventing to create new opportunities. The worlds richest man is making money from Engineering- Elon Musk. The previous one also made money from Software Engineering, before it became a Technicians Job for programmers ( mathematical typist). In each era, the Engineering that creates the products for future and advancement, earn the most reward. Nigerian Engineers are not producing anything new or old, hence are not earning significant rewards. They are also not solving our most pressing problems. Our mechanical Engineers are yet to design cars, truck, trains, airplanes to fast track our economy. Our civil engineers are yet to find ways to make our roads last for 100 years without erosion. Our Electrical Engineers cannot provide enough power to meet our common demands. Our Electronics Engineers are yet to build a radio, talkless of liquid crystal displays, smart traffic light, our local computer processor. Rather they are all trooping out to work as software technicians.

If you want study and succeed as an Engineer, you must desire to truly solve problems via technical designs, and also be dedicated to study and understand the difficult concepts that engineers before you surmounted.Your study should be as rigorous as that of Doctors for your to stand a chance of competing with well mentored Engineers from other parts of the world.

Which Local engineering company in Nigetia can pay junior engineer.... 400k... lol... el dorado grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by geesilver(m): 3:14pm On Aug 29, 2022
selmansee:

Na ikorodu you dey stay ba......?
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Jokerman(m): 3:17pm On Aug 29, 2022
Study Engineering for the Love, not for the much pay, in a country like Nigeria

Bankers, Actors, Nurses and other gbefun professionals that don't know 2 +2 will earn more than you....

Take the Msc or PHD route outta the country...

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 29, 2022
There are successful Engineers in Nigeria, they didn't end up teaching physics in secondary schools or studying to pass ICAN.
Career counseling is key, Engineering is very practical, you can learn everything in school, you must be willing to learn more after graduation.
Look for good Engineering companies to learn the ropes, even if you have to be an apprentice.
The problem with many of our Engineering graduates is that they like wearing suites, and love the desk.
They think they're bankers.
They person who taught me physics in secondary school ( a civil engineer) ended up studying for ICAN.
He was based in Abj then, If he had stayed in PH he would have been a real Engineer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Cmanforall: 3:35pm On Aug 29, 2022
advanceDNA:
U better go do nursing or IT courses...... e get why.....u gats flow with the tide of times and season
Follow this advice...

E get why
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Juanmike(m): 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Yes after Apc
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by selmansee: 3:54pm On Aug 29, 2022
casualobserver:
The thing you need to understand is that a degree is not what it used to be all over the world but especially in Nigeria.

1) in Nigeria the standard of education has fallen, so a degree in most fields is no better than "0" levels 50 years ago plus every dick and harry has a degree. So if you get a degree in a Nigerian University, today it must be a targeted degree in a targeted institution. Back in the day such was the standard of education that you could get a bank job as a secondary school leaver and rise to become director, today you get a degree and are stuck as a contract bank teller.

2) Skill Certification is more valued in today's world. Increasingly Employers require employees who have expert knowledge in a particular product. For instance you have a computer science degree..thats your business, most employers needs someone who has a particular software certification...your degree is only an advantage, the guy who has no degree but certification will get the job over you with a computer science degree but no certification.

A degree does not guarantee you anything anymore, especially a Nigerian University degree, that is not to say it is worthless but you have to add to your degree to stand out and know the type of degree and the type of University. There are some universities and courses you go to in Nigeria and you are just wasting 4 years of your life....no employer rates your course or University. Thats why many graduates end up as sales reps or teachers on minimum wage jobs or even drivers. When you hear such stories ask which Universities they attended and which courses they did.

wow
I sincerely appreciate your contribution

in summary the course is equally important as the university

but may I ask..

what would you rather advice someone to choose..because the reality is every one can not studying the most respected courses same way everyone can not study in the most respected school like UNILAG and UI.. I have seen this as the reality from previous jamb student who got fustrated over the fact that they want to study in UI or UNILAG but ended up in polythenics

may I ask.. which of these options do you think is better

going to UNILAG to study let say Physics education or any low course that was given to me after applying elect elect
OR
going to an average university like Nasarawa state university or kaduna state university to study medicine or elect elect..

to shorten it ..is it course over school or school over course

because the reality is ...for my self trying to get into top schools to study top courses will be nearly impossible as I might not meet up with the strict requirements..I am being realistic.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2022
xpressionx:
Those days in FUTO engineering girls always had muscles.
But since slayqueens started studying engineering, everywhere scatter.
grin

Now you know why FUTO's Kegites call themselves "Ilya Du Manpower"

FUTO manpower machines be doing the worst to hostel girls grin
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Zulu2022: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2022
If it was of old age there were white companies,then is not scam, engineer we get na our old father's who read engineering in 70s 80s are working still dominating in all this oil coy nd big company,the no wan retire,even if de do,na to put there kids,in other words, not giving other graduate de opportunity
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by jesmond3945: 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2022
EmmanuelBlaze04:
Hello sir. I love your reply. I just want to ask a question and I would appreciate it if you answer. I wanted to study computer science but by fate,what was available for me was Computer Engineering, and I have always wanted to be a programmer who knows about software and also deals with hardware like making phones and creating the ROM and RAM myself, and also want to learn a bit about developing AI , please do you encourage I take up the computer engineering or wait till I can get computer science? I had made my researches and I could decipher the fact that computer engineering deals with both software and hardware (some universities call it computer science and engineering) but aggregating it finally to the Nigerian system is what baffles me...please any tangible suggestion would be welcomed. Thanks in advance
I am a computer engineer myself. However, I love the mathematical side of things more. Becsuse in comp science you deal with maths and software. In comp eng you deal with maths, software and hardware. I can see you like hardware more than software. You would need to be good in cplusplus and fpga design thats were the money is. In comp science, you have software dev and all its aspects, thats were the money is. Maths gives you the thereoretical foundation. So i would say go ahead and do the comp engin, with time you would know which area you would be comfortable in

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Stanislause94: 4:06pm On Aug 29, 2022
selmansee:

wow
I sincerely appreciate your contribution

in summary the course is equally as important as the university

but may I ask..

what would you rather advice someone to choose..because the reality is every one can not studying the most respected courses same way everyone can not study in the most respected school like UNILAG and UI.. I have seen this as the reality from previous jamb student who got fustrated over the fact that they want to study in UI or UNILAG but ended up in polythenics

may I ask.. which of these options do you think is better

going to UNILAG to study let say Physics education or any low course that was given to me after applying elect elect
OR
going to an average university like Nasarawa state university or kaduna state university to study medicine or elect elect..

to shorten it ..is it course over school or school over course

because the reality is ...for my self trying to get into top schools to studying top courses will be nearly impossible as I might not meet up with the strict requirements..I am being realistic.
it’s course over school

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sacked 3 Weeks After Resumption. Lawyers Help! / 5 Solid Disadvantages Of Marrying An Accountant / Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.