Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,608 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University (34556 Views)

Concerns About Ai Portrait Generation: Things They'll Never Tell You About / What No Employer Will Tell You. I Learned This The Hard Way / UNILORIN Recruitment | The University Of Ilorin – August 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by mespusinglez(m): 10:13am On Aug 31, 2022
IS IT FOR EBA?
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Okhuadams(m): 10:17am On Aug 31, 2022
stevnwigw1:
LECTURERS WILL NEVER TELL YOU THIS IN THE UNIVERSITY ����

If you are invited for a job interview, at the entrance of the gate or within the Organization's premises:

1. Politely greet everybody. I have seen MDs and Managers disguised and standing at the gate to observe interviewees.

2. Do not go inside and start charging your phone or begin to look for where to charge your phone.

3. Do not go inside and begin to chat with your phone or make unnecessary calls. Put the phone inside your bag. They could be monitoring you through the camera.

4. Avoid too much talk with fellow interviewees. Don't go there and begin to argue about the government of the day, escalated food prices, and even lack of employment opportunities. Just be calm and positive.

5. Don't start praying and speaking in tongues to demonstrate your religiosity and closeness to God. Pray at home before going.

6. If they offer you Tea or food, Please reject it politely and thank them. You can take it after the interview. If you take that Tea or food, you are out.

7. Don't chew gum, biscuit, or anything. Go with a book and be reading it.

8. Never criticize your previous employer.

9. If you see somebody you know in the Organization, either as a staff or a fellow interviewee, greet him officially. Avoid creating an impression that you know him.

10. Do not appear too Poor, helpless, and inferior before the interviewer. Forget about Nigeria's problems, your personal and family problems. Focus on the job.

11. After the interview, put up a smiling face, thank them and leave.

In most cases, interviewers assess and score interviewees by the factors above and not necessarily by the answers they provide on paper. They'll train you eventually to do the job if they employ you.
Good advice a friend have this issue went for an interview start discussing football matches and polictics also charge his phone when he was called in he was told he talks too much and argues lot, he was told to bring his phone only for him to say he was charging it. The rest is history

3 Likes

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Pootle: 10:17am On Aug 31, 2022
in regardless of you portrait yourself, the job wey b ur own no fit pass you.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Debangis20(m): 10:18am On Aug 31, 2022
grin
Generalwoodz:
Number 6. You're not right.

Anybody that disqualifies a fellow human because she accepted in good fate the food offered is a different type of devil the world is yet to see.

If you want to reject me because I gladly collected simple food which is a fuel to the human soul, REJECT ME SIR/MADAM!
angry
Generalwoodz:

Anybody that disqualifies a fellow human because she accepted in good fate the food offered is a different type of devil the world is yet to see.

If you want to reject me because I gladly collected simple food which is a fuel to the human soul, REJECT ME SIR/MADAM!
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by uptownemmygee(m): 10:23am On Aug 31, 2022
HeroHero:
This is for fresh graduates & trainees.
Not for experienced & professionals whom companies are looking unto for possible solutions and turn around.

We always discuss and laugh with fellows that come for interview. We also summon the receptionist to charge our phones for us. We don't beg the interviewers, we force them believe in what we are telling them.

We bounce them easily especially when they are not in the same page with us

Tech is the way
One tech dude ones wear short and t-shirt with sneakers for interview, he even came late sef.
Oga nahim dem employ

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Truthshotcrazy: 10:24am On Aug 31, 2022
OvaSabi1:
Low self esteem due to bad labor market policies. If you are traveling outside Nigeria, you will need to change your mindset against some of these attitudes to interviews. A job candidate who keeps to themselves and refuses to mix freely with the other candidates is seen as a red flag in developed labor markets.

If they offer you tea over there, you’re supposed to say, yes please thank you. You are allowed to have a quiet chat with the other candidates. This is old school interview tactics driven by scarcity mentality. Gen Z are changing the way things are done.

So you mean you would go to an interview with an eccentric tech cofounder and he will offer you tea and you will refuse it? It’s like you think that this one is a civil service or old Bank of the North interview. Abi you are confusing this with meeting your in laws.
Don’t mind the Op Biko. Taking tea or coffee is 100% polite in developed climes Especially in places or cultures with cold weather during the Harsh winter months, When the interviewee might have battled the chilling cold snow to get to the venue and might be shivering. It is not polite tho, to step out for a quick smoke at the venue to warm up no matter how cold or stormy the chilly winter.
Op should have added that if a prospective interviewee in developing shitholes like zoogeria grin is uncomfortable with accepting tea or coffee before the interview, he can refuse the tea offered and request for Water instead .

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by ridbell01(m): 10:27am On Aug 31, 2022
Is good to compose but where you will get employment they wouldn't stress you
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by hopefulLandlord: 10:30am On Aug 31, 2022
Faber:
Iron your clothes well and polish your shoes. You can take your clothes to a laundry, if you no get light for house. You can wear crocs and put your well polished shoes in a hand bag... while on the street where the firm is located, then you can branch to a store or barbing saloon and put on your shoes...that's if you're coming from a rural or trenches area, with no good roads.

This is why the saying "Life no get manual" is very true. the first ever interview I attended was one I was informed about 2 weeks prior. for some reason I forgot and on a Monday I got a message then I remembered. at that point I had a rough looking hair that hadn't been touched by a clipper for close to 4 months and so was my beard. don't ask me why although I have an almost perfect hairline and my beard grows almost uniformly too. I had no cloth to wear there that's corporate. what I had was a torn trouser denim, a rubber palm slipper and a casual looking long sleeve shirt. I actually felt like giving up right there but then I said to myself "what have I got to lose by going?" worst they can do is tell me no. anyways I got to the company and at the gate even the security's faces showed some signs of disbelief about my mission but I no send. I got past them and got to the venue only to see many candidates, handsome and pretty looking, well manicured, well dressed in suits and ties, well polished shoes with good wristwatches but I still decided to go for the adventure anyways. they were all called in one by one and they all spent around the same time on average being interviewed. When it got to my turn I was called in and it was 2 interviewers, male and female, both caucasians and they both looked at me from head to toe cheesy. there's a seat opposite them and I was asked to sit on which I did. questions were asked and I answered as much as I could. They then asked me to do some practicals that pertain to my job. A few seconds after I started they said I should stop and I should go........ "I failed" I said to myself. As soon as I got to the door and I was about to open it the female interviewer called my name and I answered, turned around to look at her and what she said made that day one of the happiest days of my life. she said "If we give you this job and you're to start tomorrow, can you get yourself a corporate cloth and shoe?" I said yes I definitely will but then she added that she's willing to loan me some money to get those things that I shouldn't be shy to say I don't have the means and I told her I do have the means. she then said I should come the next day to start.

It took me a while to absorb what just happened but months later the interviewer told me and said that practical was failed at the first step by every interviewee till it got to my turn and I was the first one that got it right. she said he and her co interviewer were already too frustrated about such a huge failure that they had to hire me on the spot.

Now I'm not saying you should intentionally look terrible to an interview. just saying like with everything in life there are exceptions

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Truthshotcrazy: 10:32am On Aug 31, 2022
jericco1:
All these things are only common in Nigeria.
But I strongly disagree with number 6.
I never going for a job interview sometime 2019 and we were all given refreshments and it was a huge one. It is company policies and you trying to act meet doesn't add anything to your resume.

Just be cultured that is it.

Gbam seconded
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Privatepart00: 10:35am On Aug 31, 2022
The first job interview I went for . I entered the office after a knock and sat down. The woman happened to be the wife of who owns the place was astonished. She came forward asking who told me to sit down ?
I told her ma’am isn’t the chair meant for sitting down? She answered I like your guts but I should have waited for her to give me a seat .
She now asked can I meet you, gave little description of myself and stopped. She asked for my qualification I told her . She asked for the university which I mentioned. She started narrating her experience in same school. We were gisting more about university life and her course of study as I knew more information including their lecturers and other students.
She later asked if I really need this job ? That I am too confident and blunt for her to believe I actually came for the interview . The job needed someone in the technical aspect which my course of study had . My eyes were more fixated on her body physique , she was dark , average height and with nice curves.
When I came out others like me were surprised that I stayed longer , as previous people doesn’t last 10minutes in the office .
This happened in Enugu 2017 .
NB: if the establishment doesn’t want to give the job out , make it clear , because I can’t pretend to be another person.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by seanwilliam(m): 10:35am On Aug 31, 2022
Generalwoodz:

so u no know u supposed chop comot for house? If you no eat that food, u go die?

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by steinalb(m): 10:35am On Aug 31, 2022
All the jobs I have had throughout my life. I have never worn a shirt to them talkless of tucking in. If I get to your office and I can't find space to plug my laptop, that is a very red flag for me or you don't have internet I can connect to.

We need to start changing this slave mentality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Jeffyblaq(m): 10:36am On Aug 31, 2022
HeroHero:
This is for fresh graduates & trainees.
Not for experienced & professionals whom companies are looking unto for possible solutions and turn around.

We always discuss and laugh with fellows that come for interview. We also summon the receptionist to charge our phones for us. We don't beg the interviewers, we force them believe in what we are telling them.

We bounce them easily especially when they are not in the same page with us
I can understand this very well with a firm look and charisma portrayed calmly..

Been there, still there..

In all buddy, na GRACE! no think am..
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by fxexperts: 10:39am On Aug 31, 2022
stevnwigw1:

If you are invited for a job interview, at the entrance of the gate or within the Organization's premises:

1. Politely greet everybody. I have seen MDs and Managers disguised and standing at the gate to observe interviewees.

2. Do not go inside and start charging your phone or begin to look for where to charge your phone.

3. Do not go inside and begin to chat with your phone or make unnecessary calls. Put the phone inside your bag. They could be monitoring you through the camera.

4. Avoid too much talk with fellow interviewees. Don't go there and begin to argue about the government of the day, escalated food prices, and even lack of employment opportunities. Just be calm and positive.

5. Don't start praying and speaking in tongues to demonstrate your religiosity and closeness to God. Pray at home before going.

6. If they offer you Tea or food, Please reject it politely and thank them. You can take it after the interview. If you take that Tea or food, you are out.

9. If you see somebody you know in the Organization, either as a staff or a fellow interviewee, greet him officially. Avoid creating an impression that you know him.

10. Do not appear too Poor, helpless, and inferior before the interviewer. Forget about Nigeria's problems, your personal and family problems. Focus on the job.

In most cases, interviewers assess and score interviewees by the factors above and not necessarily by the answers they provide on paper. They'll train you eventually to do the job if they employ you.

Which kind local company you for go do the interview? Op all this point you mention are off points. You all just sit in one room and boom spew out rubbish. I as a person cannot accept any job from an employer who thinks this way. Whenever I go for interview if you offer me food I will eat. The last time i went for interview in a multination oil and gas, The had tea snacks and some peppered gizzard in one corner of the office space (Coffee room) Then one of the workers asked me if I care for some snacks that I should go to that corner and help my self out. Omo I quickly stood up make coffee with a lot of milk collect some small chop with peppered gizzard and ate to my satisfaction. When I was called in for the interview I aced all the question and I got the job. So all this trash you wrote don't work, unless is some messed up India, Chinese and Nigeria own company.

I have worked in an India own company before where a Nigerian was fired because he was seen pressing his phone. That was the only company I worked for where I almost beat the hell out of one of my Indian boss ones, he had to run under his desk when i charged at him with anger. Those guys are barbarians like Nigerian, hypocrites, so maybe your analysis will work in backward local Nigerian and Asian own company. But not in a western company.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by henrimoto(m): 10:42am On Aug 31, 2022
visiondee:
What if they offer yellow garri with correct egusi and ogbono soup... Bro... Leave English, I go fill my belle fors of fors befor we start interview... grin grin grin
lolz .... Na You do the interview by yourself be that. Lolz... No forget to ask for EXTRA!!
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by henrimoto(m): 10:43am On Aug 31, 2022
Okhuadams:
Good advice a friend have this issue went for an interview start discussing football matches and polictics also charge his phone when he was called in he was told he talks too much and argues lot, he was told to bring his phone only for him to say he was charging it. The rest is history
hahahahahaa...
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by GloriousGbola: 10:44am On Aug 31, 2022
stevnwigw1:

this is real life, not a nollywood movie

maybe the ceo of boniface and brothers has the spare time to dress as security guard for three days to observe people applying for entry level positions. and of course everybody else coming into the company [customers, other staff, etc] will not recognize the oga at the top dressed as security

just say you saw one of those HR week exercises when mgt staff take roles of lower cadre employees - and had no idea what you were looking at.

just like that - with the first line of unadulterated, fantasist BS, you have tainted the entire article.

it is clear you have never actually worked anywhere - that is why you can write ABSOLUTE RUBBISH like this.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by bettercreature(m): 10:48am On Aug 31, 2022
Okhuadams:
You are lying and you know it.
Just make sure you use a small job as a stepping stone before you go for big interview,you won’t have any issue,because most of the problems are caused by lack of confidence just like a visa interview
If you are not desperate to travel abroad or getting a particular job your chance of losing reduces
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Nwaotu10(m): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2022
Generalwoodz:

lol!
This comment got me cracked up grin grin
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by NOwazobia: 10:52am On Aug 31, 2022
SmartPolician:
Too many rules and regulations because there are no jobs in Nigeria. In the United States, they beg Caucasians to come and work

Until you are able to create your own job and break off the shackles of your employer, you will remain their slave in Nigeria.
You said my mind...

Very dynamic to Nigeria and some Africa countries.

Everybody go dey form Oga, even the ones wey no fit pay pass 20k self.

1 Like

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Roger3D(m): 10:56am On Aug 31, 2022
irunoko:
so what's the work of your parents? Is the lecturer going to teach you basic social etiquette and norms that your mom or dad should be teaching you? Lecturers aren't your parents. lipsrsealed
Get lost!
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by henrimoto(m): 11:04am On Aug 31, 2022
@hopefulllandlord. hmnn... o'bob! what a story. big up to you.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by fxexperts: 11:04am On Aug 31, 2022
eedimo:

Totally true.
Being invited by a company to assess job seekers in the past, i can say you have done a good research.

All those are slavery mentality of an employee, i for one will want a confident employee with smart mind. This is why Nigerians and Asians fail in leadership position.

Okhuadams:

Your Friend should give glory to God and share a testimony, because he just dogged a bullet. At least he missed a great opportunity to work in a toxic work place, with toxic bosses that will greatly affect your mental state.

seanwilliam:
so u no know u supposed chop comot for house? If you no eat that food, u go die?

As he nor come chop comot for house nko. why them come they tempt am with food in the first instance. make una dey avoid toxic work place abeg.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by chatinent: 11:08am On Aug 31, 2022
All these for N25k per month job? angry angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Faber(m): 11:10am On Aug 31, 2022
hopefulLandlord:

This is why the saying "Life no get manual" is very true. the first ever interview I attended was one I was informed about 2 weeks prior. for some reason I forgot and on a Monday I got a message then I remembered. at that point I had a rough looking hair that hadn't been touched by a clipper for close to 4 months and so was my beard. don't ask me why although I have an almost perfect hairline and my beard grows almost uniformly too. I had no cloth to wear there that's corporate. what I had was a torn trouser denim, a rubber palm slipper and a casual looking long sleeve shirt. I actually felt like giving up right there but then I said to myself "what have I got to lose by going?" worst they can do is tell me no. anyways I got to the company and at the gate even the security's faces showed some signs of disbelief about my mission but I no send. I got past them and got to the venue only to see many candidates, handsome and pretty looking, well manicured, well dressed in suits and ties, well polished shoes with good wristwatches but I still decided to go for the adventure anyways. they were all called in one by one and they all spent around the same time on average being interviewed. When it got to my turn I was called in and it was 2 interviewers, male and female, both caucasians and they both looked at me from head to toe cheesy. there's a seat opposite them and I was asked to sit on which I did. questions were asked and I answered as much as I could. They then asked me to do some practicals that pertain to my job. A few seconds after I started they said I should stop and I should go........ "I failed" I said to myself. As soon as I got to the door and I was about to open it the female interviewer called my name and I answered, turned around to look at her and what she said made that day one of the happiest days of my life. she said "If we give you this job and you're to start tomorrow, can you get yourself a corporate cloth and shoe?" I said yes I definitely will but then she added that she's willing to loan me some money to get those things that I shouldn't be shy to say I don't have the means and I told her I do have the means. she then said I should come the next day to start.

It took me a while to absorb what just happened but months later the interviewer told me and said that practical was failed at the first step by every interviewee till it got to my turn and I was the first one that got it right. she said he and her co interviewer were already too frustrated about such a huge failure that they had to hire me on the spot.

Now I'm not saying you should intentionally look terrible to an interview. just saying like with everything in life there are exceptions

Your own case was an exception. What favoured you was that your interviewers were more desperate for a worker, than you were for the job.

And you see they are caucasians, those ones are more after what you have to offer than your appearance. In Nigeria, the reverse is the case o
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by henrimoto(m): 11:11am On Aug 31, 2022
seanwilliam:
kikikiikihkih.,... Seanwilliam !!!! Baba, sakpa! Is real!! You know weather food dey for house that day?
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Okhuadams(m): 11:44am On Aug 31, 2022
bettercreature:
You are lying and you know it.
Just make sure you use a small job as a stepping stone before you go for big interview,you won’t have any issue,because most of the problems are caused by lack of confidence just like a visa interview
If you are not desperate to travel abroad or getting a particular job your chance of losing reduces
lying to who and to pls who.i have been to to interview and was not even asked anything related to work I just had a random discussion with them and I got it different strokes for different folks. So Mr Man I know what am saying
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 31, 2022
Good one, many of our lecturers cannot give career advice, they ve never worked any where or studied under any one important, most of the lecturers of today especially those who graduated 20 years ago were either selling handouts for lecturers, marking scripts for lecturers (class reps) or Frat boys .

That's why we have problems in our tertiary institutions because of their entitlement mentality, if they were so good why are they not hired by Private varsities?

Come to think of it, what do you learn from someone whose practical knowledge of a field is over 10 years obsolete, most of these lecturers don't read any more, don't study new trends in their respective fields, there is no passion.

They go to class to get paid, sha that is not an excuse for the FG to ignore tham.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 31, 2022
OP you forgot to mention, looks also create favor, the ladies know this, wear tight fitting blouse or shirts that accentuates the boobs, hips and arse, 95% of the ladies who do this get the job, I know a cleaner who is now the head of internal audit of a fast food eatery in PH, she got her job via this means and she aint chartered, didnt even study accounting.
Re: Lecturers Will Never Tell You This In The University by Getdabag: 12:52pm On Aug 31, 2022
Faber:
Iron your clothes well and polish your shoes. You can take your clothes to a laundry, if you no get light for house. You can wear crocs and put your well polished shoes in a hand bag... while on the street where the firm is located, then you can branch to a store or barbing saloon and put on your shoes...that's if you're coming from a rural or trenches area, with no good roads.

Don't apply any perfume at all pls. Smell natural. I heard a girl was denied a hotel job, her body spray was exactly the same with that of the hotel manager's ex that did him shege grin grin. The man told her without mincing words: " you have spoilt my day, I hate remembering Kate" she was just muttering "sorry sir", "sorry sir" before she left grin grin

Don't wear any religious insignia, medals, chaplet etc. If you're asked your religion just mention Christianity. Which church, just name one unknown pentecostal church. If the interviewer askes you; where is it located? I have never heard of this before, just reply, it's a new church in my area" ...
Don't associate with the known ones like Winners, RCCG etc. Most of them no dey use eye see members from other churches. Like Chosen and Deeper life people are very fanatic and toxic. Maybe just say...God of Miracles fire ministries. Don't say Catholic Church, even if you're a Catholic..many pentecostal churches hate Catholic Church and Catholics, but even if the manger or those employing you are Catholics, they will still hire you as Catholics no too dey discriminate against other churches. This is Nigeria, religion plays major role in many things. No come talk say you will not hide your religion because of ordinary job. Get the job first, sapa no be your mate o grin grin

Once it's your turn to be interviewed, put your phone on silent, not flight mode pls. Check your contact numbers well on true caller, it may reveal some details about you. I used to have a number that always show Faber Bet9ja. One day one man asked me whether I am a gambler, I said no, I come grab fast fast tell him say, I don work as Bet9ja cashier before after my secondary school.

Finally, be mindful of how you use the door and the seats. Always leave the seats as you found them, after seating. Always close the door gently, don't close the door on the next person coming in after you. Your sense of courtesy and orderliness are judged from little little things

how can one change his name on truecaller, I once called my friend and my name appeared as a different name not related to me like wtf

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

50 Interview Questions And Answers You Must Be Prepared For / Friend Offers Man N400k Monthly Job Which Involves Sleeping With Women In Italy / Fresh Graduate Transaction Trainees In A Leading Nigerian Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.